Suggestions for Brawl Minus MAX 3.3

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
oh my god, that charizard comparison made me imagine wario's bike being able to glide, and that made me laugh so hard! xD it wouldn't be the weirdest thing in minus, but it would be so friggin funny

NEWB

That was a typo. Only his dair and dtilt spike. His arrows also spike technically, since they hit foes depending on their oncoming angle.

Thor

Speaking of spikes, do people want those reimplemented? I don't really, but I wouldn't try to fight it if certain moves had hard to land sweetspots that spiked (ex: Falcon's chest, Falco dair first frame, Luigi's taunt).

Is there a reason the Peanut Popgun explosion hurts Diddy Kong? That hitbox is so stupidly difficult to land anyway - would it actually be a buff to make it not hurt him?

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
It hurts him for the same reason eruption hurts Ike. It's an explosion. Plus, it's more of a treat than a viable means of damaging or KOing. You shouldn't be using it very often for that reason.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Diddy's pop gun explosion is an OHKO as well. lol if you land it, you get bragging rights.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i thought it would be cool if he could launch the jetpack in a controlled direction... like, remember how kirby pressing down during his up b on the ground makes him launch the slash alone? what if you could launch the jetpack the same way, and maybe give it added shield damage... if this was possible, and it managed to break someone's shield, then you'd actually have a reason/way to use the on hit ko peanut popgun :D ...again, just an idea

NEWB

Diddy kong doesn't need buffs. That would be very funny though.

The popgun isn't made to be practical though. That's how it stands so far.

Just played so e project m samus.... You guys really need to wow us with samus in next patch. Even there Samus is better than ours is right now. Samus needs ALOT of her 2.6 version reinstated. Even things like jump height.

Also. Project m does not have any issues with special moves like minus does. Their moves aren't affected when they land while using them, but our specials slow down when that happens. It gets to a point where you guys aren't copying them, you guys should literally be LEARNING from them. They know a lot more than we do. We should learn from them instead of saying copy them.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Random idea: Could it be made so that some extra effect (like the crowd cheering) happens when Falcon lands three sweetspotted Knees in a row?

Another one: How about if Falcon holds down taunt instead of tapping it, he catches on fire? This could be just a visual effect with no physical aspect, or it could give him a slight speed and/or strength buff but do damage to him over time.

Fun ideas, woo.

Gold_TSG

Cheering too OP.

Thor

What is this about falcons chest and his dair? I know his dair always spikes for me.

It's actually currently a meteor (so it is meteor cancellable), and it should always meteor in Brawl-. However, in Melee, dair was a meteor, but the chest hitbox was a spike (not meteor-cancellable), and thus more lethal. That's what I meant by spike vs meteor.

Cheering's not OP if you zero-death someone with knees and a Falcon punch at the end.

Gold_TSG

It was a joke.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Guaranteed crowd cheering after awesome (but very difficult to actually pull off) strings of attacks sounds like a perfect fit for Minus IMO.

Gold_TSG

I'd love to have the game acknowledge awesome kills like that.

YOU OWE ME MATCHES BENT! >:0

NEWB

That would be a very cool mechanic. Maybe crowd cheers at universal hits for everyone or specific to each one?

When is next patch? March is done, so this Friday? Or is it being pushed back further?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
NEWB said:
Maybe crowd cheers at universal hits for everyone or specific to each one?
I'm thinking it would have to be character-specific.

If a dev confirms guaranteed crowd cheering can be tied to certain combos, perhaps a separate topic should be made in which we decide on what combos are worthy of getting cheered.

For Falcon, I suggest the cheer combo be Knee -> Knee -> Knee / Pawnch (Knee if only one can be picked)

What other epic strings of attacks deserve getting cheered?

Gold_TSG said:
YOU OWE ME MATCHES BENT! >:0
I haven't forgotten, but I'm booked all week. New job, lots of hours to work + college = very little free time.

I'll let you know next time I can get online.

?0123456789?

For the new build, I would like it if Charizard's upB were fixed so that it can properly find the ledge and not shoot past it like it does now.

Also, Jigglypuff needs to be nerfed in some way. She shouldn't be able to chase every character off the stage and sideA them to death. Maybe reduce the number of jumps she has? In addition to this, please change the way Sing (downB) works so that either the range is reduced (because right now it's so large that even passing through it for some characters puts them to sleep and some get put to sleep right on the outside edge) or the sleep time is reduced so that you have a chance to mash out of it instead of giving Jiggly a guaranteed smash or Rest.

NEWB

Sing shouldn't be that much of an issue. Jumping and staying airborn will keep you safe. Most characters can outrange her with their aerials.

Who are you using? She usually does well on big guys because of sing.m then again, they also kill her quickly. Jiggs matches are baiting games.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Also. Project m does not have any issues with special moves like minus does. Their moves aren't affected when they land while using them, but our specials slow down when that happens. It gets to a point where you guys aren't copying them, you guys should literally be LEARNING from them. They know a lot more than we do. We should learn from them instead of saying copy them.

What do you mean? when using special moves and landing they slow down? i don't follow. You mean start lag? also, i wouldn't say 'They know a lot more than we do.' they just have ALOT more manpower then we do. They changed alot of the game physics to match up with melee, and it's very possible they changed the specials to how they are now to better match melee

i prefer creative reimagining and reconfiguring of a modern game for maximum enjoyment. which the minus team does well. after all, they did make that awesome 2.x Samus. i trust they'll fix her up in a manner fit for this mod.

nifty as some of project m's ideas might be, how do you simply "learn" to "not copy" yoshi out-of-shield jumps or a fast samus roll, etc.?
(or maybe i misunderstood what you were saying)

either way, i'd rather give a few suggestions and let the devs do what they ultimately think is best for this game, than select Falco next update and find out he's a Fox clone.

sheik's needles and ike's eruption might need a fix, probably not a lesson in nostalgia-based coding.

NEWB

Sheik charges needles in the air quickly, but slowly when she lands.

Ike eruption charge timer resets when he lands.

Snakes sideb normaly fires fast, but is slow if you land before it fires.

Charged falcon punch with the ultrataunt is also slowed down hellishly if used in the air and lands before the punch is released. This happens rarely cuz the move is fast. You will see it happen more on stages like temple.

These are some examples. They have been around across the board, throughout the entire cast. There are issues where special don't work properly after landing.

Here are some weird ones.

Sonic uses upb. Then he charges down b in the air. Anytime sonic lands during spin dash, whether he releases he charge in air and lands or he releases charge after landing, his upb will not refresh after the spindash jumps up like it is supposed to.

Lucas can cancel his psynet with pk fire by pressing the control stick left or right. When this is done, the hitbox from psynet that is supposed to hit at the end of psynet doesn't exist. Also, if you lnd while doing psynet, you can't cancel psynet with by pressing the control stick to the side like you normaly can.

Lucario can use his upb from the ground and again in the air. When he lands, he can't use it from the ground.

When charging Kirby's sideb, if he is hit, the fire from the end of the fully charged sideb appears infront of Kirby. Just a graphic error that has nothing to with the issue I was talking about.

Also, thunderbrand is not animated properly. Try to take a picture when thunderbrand connects from a different angle. You will see that the thunder is in the foreground instead of at his fingertip. Also unrelated graphic error.

Most if these issues have already been brought up, but never addressed or even properly explained.

and falco's lasers are slow all the time, what the heck's with that? (yeah, yeah..)

so it's a global issue?

my limited knowledge blames the auto cancel code clashing with sped up animations..

NEWB

His lasers are always slow now. This is so they can be used to approach and limit the opponents movement options. Much more interesting and fun than its old version. Those lasers complimented a "gay and campy" playstyle that isn't really fun to play against.

i know, i play a lot of falco. and was joking.

i need to start using giant laughing smilies when doing that on this site.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Sheik charges needles in the air quickly, but slowly when she lands.
likely Intentional at the time it was coded, it would auto-cancle the animation when landing if it wasn't specifically coded to do otherwise

Ike eruption charge timer resets when he lands.
same as above

Snakes sideb normaly fires fast, but is slow if you land before it fires.
same as above

Charged falcon punch with the ultrataunt is also slowed down hellishly if used in the air and lands before the punch is released. This happens rarely cuz the move is fast. You will see it happen more on stages like temple.
same as above

Sonic uses upb. Then he charges down b in the air. Anytime sonic lands during spin dash, whether he releases the charge in air and lands or he releases charge after landing, his upb will not refresh after the spindash jumps up like it is supposed to.
probably a missed variable clear somewhere. easy fix

Lucas can cancel his psynet with pk fire by pressing the control stick left or right. When this is done, the hitbox from psynet that is supposed to hit at the end of psynet doesn't exist. Also, if you lnd while doing psynet, you can't cancel psynet with by pressing the control stick to the side like you normaly can.
The subaction completely changes to the grounded psynet when landing, so unless the grounded version is cancellable in that way normally, then it wont work. as for the hitbox, thats more then likely because when you cancel it, you cancel it into the pk fire action before the hitbox comes out.

Lucario can use his upb from the ground and again in the air. When he lands, he can't use it from the ground.
never experienced this, and i frequently use double up-b. Though lucario's recovery stuff is coded funky, so i can look into it

When charging Kirby's sideb, if he is hit, the fire from the end of the fully charged sideb appears infront of Kirby. Just a graphic error that has nothing to with the issue I was talking about.
This is a known issue and will be addressed

Also, thunderbrand is not animated properly. Try to take a picture when thunderbrand connects from a different angle. You will see that the thunder is in the foreground instead of at his fingertip. Also unrelated graphic error.
Never knew about this one, but if it can be fixed it will be

If these can be addressed, they likely will be in the next update. ;)