Suggestions for Brawl Minus MAX 3.3

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Re: Suggestions for Brawl Minus MAX 3.1

I've got a bit of a suggestion for Ness, having been using him a bit more lately. I think his two modes should be different from each other in playstyle, IE one mode focuses on PK powers and combos (normal mode), and the other focuses more on physical power (bat mode). Each one could have completely different movesets that feel natural to each mode. Bat mode could keep most of the current moves Ness has that don't involve any psychic powers (dtilt, utilt, ftilt, usmash, dsmash, fsmash, uair, dair), while psychic mode could have altered versions that involve the use of his powers (such as switching bat mode's dair to psychic Ness). I also feel the yo-yo could be changed to something different for his up and down smashes, like a more breakdance-type attack for dsmash (kinda like Mario's dsmash), but that's just a personal pref.

I'd just love to see the idea of alternate styles of play on him that are more different from each other in usage, like other characters with alternate forms (Samus, Zelda).

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker

Here's an idea from Stone, one of my local group's players:

How about adding a hitbox to Luigi's fist as he's coming down from his Up B?

Maybe it could bury a grounded foe if it connects?

NEWB

That'd be hilariously funny. I also don't see it as broken since it is easy to avoid since he falls slowly.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas

i would totally love that, but it might be too easy to land if it was constant... you could make him able to cancel into a goomba stomp if you jump on time when his fist connects :D it would also make you able to use it midair this way while also requiring some skill, since it'd kinda be an easter egg, and although you won't land right next to them because you'll jump upward, you won't be in helpless mode anymore, so it's a fair trade.. either way it's just as useful and funny and not too cheap, but one way requires a little bit more skill and puts you out of helpless and is available in midair, in exchange for not being as easy to pull off and forcing you to space yourself from your opponent.

Gold_TSG

I think it should spike and ground opponents, cause you shouldn't be standing under a falling Luigi.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker

Gold_TSG said:
I think it should spike and ground opponents, cause you shouldn't be standing under a falling Luigi.
Agreed. If you get buried or spiked by such an obvious move, you deserve it. :lol:

Should Luigi bounce off of an offstage opponent he spikes with Up-B? If he doesn't, he'll suicide...

Gold_TSG

Well you don't want to use that as a kill move so far off the stage, so technically you deserve to suicide too, in such a situation... It's more useful against ledgers, or just a safer way of coming back down to the stage instead of being so open. Either way, it's ridiculously predictable, and doesnt make you immune to damage during the fall. Maybe a bit of a bounce would be good, cause if it's shielded, it will bounce off that as well, and leaves him open further and allows counter-play.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas

i guess it could work that way :) personally, i think it'd be hilarious to see when it lands either way x) ....maybe only make it do this if you tap down to quick fall while in helpless, but if you are not quick falling, you bounce off without spiking, just hitting... This way if you really wanted to spike someone, you had to try to "snipe" them by falling on them quickly, and not bouncing off of them, so if you use it right, you'll land right next to their "buried" bodies, whereas if you just land on them while falling normally, you'll bounce off, and possibly combo to pounce more than once off of them, and this way it could be used for recovery, but if you really wanted to kill someone off-stage, you had to be quick falling, and therefore you will be less likely to recover, because you will have already wasted your up b and won't be able to bounce back, but you will secure the kill...(think like the way link's smash down air being fast fall and stronger, but lightfalling and down airing someone will bounce off of them...)

Gold_TSG

Sounds good to me.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas

yay, i'm popular <3

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Gonna bring this thread back, I would still love to see what the community can come up with to make Minus better!

NEWB

Give Mario his N64 enter animation! Would be awesome.

TL needs to be looked at.

Something done to samus?

Did link ever get his eye back when doing the backslide? Also he gets helm splitter lugs sheild bash :)

Ferrous Faucet

I already suggested that Peach should turn around if attacked from behind when using Toad.

I also think it's unnecessary to place a vegetable in her hand after Toad counterattacks. I don't know what the purpose is supposed to be, but since Toad doesn't have set knockback, my followup attack from Toad will be different depending on where my opponent ends up after being knocked back. I might want to follow up with a dash attack (or cancel dash into a smash attack), a Peach Bomber-canceled attack, or an aerial attack. None of those are possible when Peach has a vegetable in her hand, so it's really just a hindrance to Peach to have to get rid of the vegetable before she can do anything else after using Toad. It just limits her options.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i agree with that idea for peach... i realized that the reason link's backslice animation looks so stiff is because he swings his sword almost completely horizontally while rising to make that spline shape, instead of his arm raising while he rises and spins... it looks kinda like:
--- a horizontal line while he spins, that rises like an elevator instead of:
/ a slice aiming down at first and swinging diagonally from one side of his body to the other until it's aimed high while he spins... i really don't know how to explain this without a visual, and i can't really make one very well on a keyboard :p ....anyway, other than this animation fix, my suggestions would be to change one of his air attacks to the "jump attack" from zelda games you could use in air, and to maybe make the jumping slice be altered depending on tilts, instead of pressing b, so that down tilting makes him do the finishing blow, which should spike, and high should be the helmsplitter, which should give you a bounce if you connect it right, similar to DK's current "mountain climbing" f-air... then of course the jumping strike should remain the same, maybe with more animation tweaks... and lastly, i'd suggest making his shield dodge forward look more like the jump-roll side dodge from twilight princess, like just before you do the backslice, how he side jumps, rolls on his side, then jumps... and i guess don't make the backslice bring him back so much, since in twilight princess it looks more like he keeps drifting the direction he was going originally... maybe just make his position horizontally stop at the point he jumps from.

NEWB

About peach, that isn't actually true. You do her aerials even while holding a turnip if you glide. That is a good idea about making her turn around too.

Ferrous Faucet

I know she can attack while gliding even with an item in hand, but I still say that putting an item in her hand every time she uses Toad limits her options.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I agree with the Peach suggestions.

This may not be possible, but it would be helpful if Waddle Dees & Doos matched the colors of the King Dedede that tossed them.

As-is, if multiple Dedede's are in the same match, their Waddles are likely to get mixed up since they look exactly alike.

This wasn't a problem in vBrawl since they didn't stick around as long. It can get confusing in Minus, though...

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
that's actually a REALLY good point o.o i've never run into that since noone here plays dedede, or at least not that much, but that would also look really nice... is kirby going to get a waddledee based dedede hat neutral b?...

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Bent 00 said:
This may not be possible, but it would be helpful if Waddle Dees & Doos matched the colors of the King Dedede that tossed them. As-is, if multiple Dedede's are in the same match, their Waddles are likely to get mixed up since they look exactly alike. This wasn't a problem in vBrawl since they didn't stick around as long. It can get confusing in Minus, though...

Unfortunately this idea is impossible as Waddle-Dees are an article, and thus cannot be textured as if they were a character.

As for the Peach suggestions, she is most definitely being looked into.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
justadood said:
i agree with that idea for peach... i realized that the reason link's backslice animation looks so stiff is because he swings his sword almost completely horizontally while rising to make that spline shape, instead of his arm raising while he rises and spins... it looks kinda like:
--- a horizontal line while he spins, that rises like an elevator instead of:
/ a slice aiming down at first and swinging diagonally from one side of his body to the other until it's aimed high while he spins... i really don't know how to explain this without a visual, and i can't really make one very well on a keyboard :p ....anyway, other than this animation fix, my suggestions would be to change one of his air attacks to the "jump attack" from zelda games you could use in air, and to maybe make the jumping slice be altered depending on tilts, instead of pressing b, so that down tilting makes him do the finishing blow, which should spike, and high should be the helmsplitter, which should give you a bounce if you connect it right, similar to DK's current "mountain climbing" f-air... then of course the jumping strike should remain the same, maybe with more animation tweaks... and lastly, i'd suggest making his shield dodge forward look more like the jump-roll side dodge from twilight princess, like just before you do the backslice, how he side jumps, rolls on his side, then jumps... and i guess don't make the backslice bring him back so much, since in twilight princess it looks more like he keeps drifting the direction he was going originally... maybe just make his position horizontally stop at the point he jumps from.

You should learn how to animate because I've fixed up that animation time and time again, but I can't make it look quite right. As for the side dodge changing, that'd be a bit awkward. If anything, I think TL should be given a jumping side dodge. It fits him more.

NEWB

What do you mean about not texturing waddles? They were textured differently in 2.6.

But they all looked the same regardless of dedede still, so same issue with looking alike.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
What do you mean about not texturing waddles? They were textured differently in 2.6.

But they all looked the same regardless of dedede still, so same issue with looking alike.

Yeah, that's exactly what i mean, we can't solve the issue of them looking the same regardless of the Dedede throwing them

NEWB

Bring back the old victory/loss animations SERIOUSLY! Or explain why they are still gone.

If you are making or refining these animations, that isn't an excuse to have removed them. They may as well have stayed until updated.