Kien's Custom Minus Build

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
That would be the half of the sourspot I didn't want remove, i.e., yeah you didn't hit the spike but you aren't going to just look like an idiot with your sword stuck in them as you wait for the endlag to end.

Also it makes the move much riskier... and I don't really think Ike's dair needed more risk... tone back the sourspot and adjust the angle sure, but making it fully gone just seems bleh to me.
But that's how a lot of people's meteor smashes are: Spike or miss and look like an idiot. Like Ness, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Mario, need I go on?

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Also added a few stages in, replaced a few. Next patch you can expect to see the return of Minus versions of Norfair and Yoshi's Island Melee, alongside some other stages that were never in Minus.

plz Venus Lighthouse ;~;
Glad to look forward to some returning stages.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
plz Venus Lighthouse ;~;
Glad to look forward to some returning stages.

Was Venus Lighthouse the stage where Kien lost his shit and sent everyone a pm asking if they wanted it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

I don't know how to respond to this.

Falco would become bottom tier in Minus if he didn't have his dair - his onstage game needs it pretty badly for him to have any realistic non-SDIable combos, and even then one can SDI utilt, which is better than usmash for these more often than not. With the movement speeds of Falcon and the durability of others, his lasers just don't get there and while he can still try jab shenanigans, they're much harder than in Brawl - his lasers were better slow for his projectile game, I can see that now, since they let him control space so much more effectively (whereas he can barely camp Captain Falcon on a wide stage because his movement speed is just so fast).

That's why his dair is our version of Melee dair - they'd have to buff Falco a lot to fix him if they removed this move in its function.

Dorf and Ness dair don't look as dumb when they miss. Marth's is kinda funny though.

NEWB

Falco is the only one that really needs his Dair sourspot. It's part of his onstage game.

Being slower, I CAN actually make use of it but I'm not sure he needs it either.

Guys..hitboxes can't be seen and don't effect how a move looks. There is no differentiating a sweet spot from a sourspot visuallly. It looks fine as long as as attacks themselves deal damage and that all parts of the attack deal damage. When there is no attack, it is weird for there to be a hitbox unless it serves a technical purpose. In Ike's case, it doesn't do much.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Was Venus Lighthouse the stage where Kien lost his shit and sent everyone a pm asking if they wanted it?

Yes it was. I really am thinking about removing Summit for the Lighthouse. But Some people probably like Sumit. What about Pictochat? That way no one loses a home stage for it.

Also, codes are being added too. Or at least the Wifi code is.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Kirby you made. All of the tricks that make me love Kirby are still intact. A consistent Final Cutter beam that always deals 12% is especially nice.
I'll just have to get used to the nair and weight changes.
Also, I feel like the electric hitbox on Kirby's "transforming back" animation for Stone is pretty stupid. It makes Stone more of a counter move than it should be.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I recently learned how to get rid of that actually. Had a really strange location in PSA.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
There was no real use for (Ike's Dair) sourspot anyway.
If you can't find a use for that sourspot then I think you're not looking hard enough. It effectively gives Ike a sex kick, which is always a nice option to have; using it after SideB is one common application. It also gives Ike more versatility in how it hits in a different angle compared to the sweetspot (upwards rather than downwards), which could potentially lead into Uair kills. This versatility to a single attack makes a character more interesting by letting individual attacks have dynamic hitboxes, attacks that change function and application when use slightly differently.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
If you can't find a use for that sourspot then I think you're not looking hard enough. It effectively gives Ike a sex kick, which is always a nice option to have; using it after SideB is one common application. It also gives Ike more versatility in how it hits in a different angle compared to the sweetspot (upwards rather than downwards), which could potentially lead into Uair kills. This versatility to a single attack makes a character more interesting by letting individual attacks have dynamic hitboxes, attacks that change function and application when use slightly differently.
Well, yeah, but hitting a grounded opponent with the sweetspot pops them up just as good as the sourspot, but deals more damage. The only thing good I could really think of that Ike's dair gives him is a sex kick as you mentioned.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The sweetspot pops them yes, but have you paid attention how quick it comes out, generally? Landing it consistently isn't easy, and removing all of the sourspot seems counterproductive since its in brawl. If anything, the angle/damage/kb should be tampered with to make it more appropriate, cause no matter how you look at it, swords are sharp, so it's gonna hurt someone.

NEWB

Meh. The only real reason to keep it in is because it was in brawl and minus is supposed to be brawl but better.

I'm fine with losing stuff like that if the right tweaks are made.

Gold_TSG

The people that actually play the character might feel differently, ya know.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I play Ike as well but using Ike's dair as a sex attack is not something I do. His nair is better at spacing and it also pops people up for combos. Having multiple moves with practically the same function feels off to me.

Swords being sharp would mean that the swordsmen should really be able to hurt people just by running against them as they are swinging their blades as they run. In Ike's case he swings it faster running than when he pulls it up after dair.

Thor

I play Ike as well but using Ike's dair as a sex attack is not something I do. His nair is better at spacing and it also pops people up for combos. Having multiple moves with practically the same function feels off to me.

Swords being sharp would mean that the swordsmen should really be able to hurt people just by running against them as they are swinging their blades as they run. In Ike's case he swings it faster running than when he pulls it up after dair.

His dair stays out for a while - we're saying leave the hitbox on until he starts to retract it, not until it's back fully, as there's definitely a part of the animation where it's still fully below him.

And just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's a bad thing - Bash barely used uair for the longest time, but once he started gimping with it at least found a use for it - and he didn't apparently go for utilt -> rest but that was a good option as well - and I know I almost never use Falco's dtilt since I want it to be stronger but it's supposed to be good for something so I've messed with it and at least found highly situational moments for it now.

Gold_TSG

Dair gets people off of Ike below him if he misses the meteor, same as Samus's nair around her. It hits hard during the initial attack, but doesn't leave her completely vulnerable if it misses that hit. Remember that damage/kb/angle can be changed to whatever you want, so if it serves the same purpose as nair in your mind, give it new properties.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Got my Wii stuff back. Can continue to work on this now. Trying to make Ike's dair lingering box have a different use than Nair and some other things with Zelda, Samus, and stuff. Planning to release the next patch soonish. It won't be big but it should be okay.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I was gone for a month. Hwell then. I totes said I'd release the patch soonish so I should get to that. I'll update with a mini changelist as well.