Kien's Custom Minus Build

NEWB

Even if minus emphasizes the punish game more than other mods that doesn't mean that more moves should be safe. If anything, less moves should be safe. There is no reason to have heavy punish game when your foe can't be punished. Being able to have many unpunishable options means you get to throw out moves all day without counterplay and that is very bad. That also makes for a more stale game. Troe ohko combos are bad for the same reason.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I feel like having true 0 death combos will cause Minus to devolve into whoever gets the first combo starter takes the stock. I don't want to support that kind of gameplay. Smash 64 wasn't all about 0 deaths. Melee in competetive play MIGHT have had some 0 deaths if the opponent had bad DI, and some may have been unavoidable. I wasn't big on melee so I wouldn't know. Brawl wasn't about 0 death combos for sure. Even if all of these games were about them, that doesn't give me a reason to include them in Minus. A fighting game should not be about "whoever gets the first hit wins." In my eyes, Minus is about giving all characters more abilities, more fun, and more options. I don't want a game where everyone is getting KOed below 100%. I don't want a game where only 15 out of 40 characters are viable. If things can go my way, I intend to have at least 35 of them viable (I want them all to be). I know I'll have to rebuild a few characters and I'm fine with that. Some mechanics will need to change and I'll have to rebalance certain moves around those changes. That won't be a problem either since I have all the time in the world.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Most of the time in melee, a zero death is the result of bad DI, predictions, frame perfect play and spacing or all three. You should take out dsmash jump cancel unlesd you hit. Peach has the capability to cancel dash attack into dsmash canceled into jump into Peach bomber into any aerial you like. Not exectly usable in top level play but Peach is surprisingly able to cancel a lot of her attacks (imagine if she were redesigned to make use of a bunch of cancels in minus, including fload cancels from Melee. But that would be stupid.) Also her dair is one of the best attacks in the game. There I said it. (Dunno if you should change this since it's what makes Peach really solid but w/e)

Thor

He said especially knees. The start up and priority of an attack don't matter at all when you can true combo into it. Otherwise great spin would've been seen as useless. The other moves you named aren't moves that chain into themselves with the potential to kill in 3 hits. I'm not removing kill throws, either. I feel throws are one of the things that have reason to be safe on shield, it's the point of them after all.

The punish game being unreal is a big issue with me. The only moves that should be exceedingly hard to punish are moves that retreat and ranged attacks.

Clearly you've never run into Falco's dair offstage.

Falco's dair also chains into itself with good reads, much as the knee does - I've literally landed 6 dairs onstage in a row [dair -> dair and read tech -> dair -> dair and read tech -> dair -> dair] and they DI'd the last onstage and died, much as how someone can DI 2 knees with "Survival DI" leaving them open to the second and third knees, where the third knee has "Twist DI" and they die.

It wasn't a problem in Melee and it's not a problem in Minus either, unless your DI is utterly pathetic, at which point the game isn't the problem, but your piss-poor understanding of how to play the game, and subsequent whining is - very much akin to how new players whine that Ike's fsmash is broken because it KOs if it hits twice near the ledge [please...].

Startup and priority matter because you have to land those other moves and be tight on timing - if you force someone to shield long enough to throw a raw knee, you've done the work to make it safe. Nair is a neutral tool, so I understand it not being safe on shield [you have to fade back or cross over or risk the grab], but knee is hard and bad to use in neutral - if you hit a shield with it, your opponent got outplayed - don't make it unsafe to make the move worse. Meanwhile, moves like Yoshi usmash which have less commitment [you don't have to run, can do it out of a jump or standing still, and combos and KOs better because vertical launching tools are better for combos than horizontal ones due to the inability to DI directly away and be out of a followup range] are retaining their safety. Your version of "Balance" frankly isn't.

You also didn't process the sarcasm of my previous post [though I'm 100% serious here]. I would hope you don't remove KO throws, but they're not just safe on shield, they decisively beat it.

Falcon's nair being safe on shield [his most ranged aerial] makes a lot less sense than knee being safe on shield, because nair has better range, hitbox placement, and can be done retreating, while the knee... can't. Unless you just want Smash 4 Falcon, who has every aerial except maybe bair lose to shieldgrab [and you've increased the landing lag of bair above Smash 4] and so he has to spend all year finding grabs to start things.

Probably not going to follow this thread much anymore. You seem more interested in making Falcon not fun than you do in balancing the game to a standard where characters are still fun. Falcon doesn't have any toxic elements on him except arguably Falcon Kick, unless you suck at DI at which point his knee is annoying [I have worked on it, so I don't get knee chained 3 times ever, and double knees happen in those awkward percents where if I combo DI I probably die anyway]. Falcon doesn't need nerfs, and the insistence on providing them is something that leaves me disappointed in this.

And I don't even main Falcon, but instead used to struggle quite a lot versus a Falcon main - but I know his offstage pain [gimping is sooooooo free] so seeing his awesome onstage game get nerfed is just saddening.

NEWB

Just pointing out that kien said he'd look at yoshi. I'm just making sure you know that isn't some clutch point you are making against this. If yoshi has a really good Usmash in a way where it's just better than his other smashes, it should be looked at.

If you throw out an aerial while someone is shielding, the one that got outplayed is you. When you have someone stuck in shield, you grab them. The whole point of getting someone stuck in shield is you can either grab them or break it with high shield damage attacks. You don't get anyone stuck in shield for any other reason and falcon isn't the kind of character that likes shields in any smash game.

Peach dsmash should definetly be JC on hit only.

Thor

Just pointing out that kien said he'd look at yoshi. I'm just making sure you know that isn't some clutch point you are making against this. If yoshi has a really good Usmash in a way where it's just better than his other smashes, it should be looked at.

If you throw out an aerial while someone is shielding, the one that got outplayed is you. When you have someone stuck in shield, you grab them. The whole point of getting someone stuck in shield is you can either grab them or break it with high shield damage attacks. You don't get anyone stuck in shield for any other reason and falcon isn't the kind of character that likes shields in any smash game.

Peach dsmash should definetly be JC on hit only.

Peach float cancelling should be removed by this logic.

If Peach attacks your shield from a float with fair, you outplayed her? No. You didn't go up there and smack her out of float. Similarly, you didn't hit Falcon out of his knee, so he gets to land without getting shieldgrabbed IF he sweetspots the knee on your shield low to the ground.

That's my line of reasoning, and it appears that other people disagree. A compromise seems unlikely, but stating "Attacking a shield means you got outplayed" is false [heck, in Melee, with Fox/Falco shine pressure, shielding against a spacie who can multishine is getting outplayed, and not the spacie being outplayed because you held shield].

Would also require nerfs to Falco's nair or jab [nair -> jab can't be shieldgrabbed] and numerous other moves in Minus, and would also mean we can't have aerials safe on shield. That would be what we have in Brawl and Smash 4. That's not a bad thing per se, but I don't believe that's what Kien's going for [since he didn't remove Peach's float cancelling].

NEWB

No.......don't interpret it that way just to help your arguement. That's taking it FAR out of context. I literally said aerial and you are bringing grounded attacks into it now. That's like me saying " by your logic, you should never shield anything, ever. Sheilding is clearly bad."

I clearly meant that you used an unsafe aerial against a shielding opponent. You should be punished for that, end of story.

Edit: and why the heck are you comparing two moves on two characters that are built completely different again? Peach's fair works that way because she isn't fast, isnt strong, isnt as combo oriented, and isn't as heavy falcon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
You don't compare two characters with completely different play styles in hopes of helping an argument gain weight. If anything, said argument loses weight. Way too many variables are involved with every character's kit to be credibly compared to one another. Saying one move is better than another on two different characters (and they aren't even used in the same state of being) is just ridiculous.

Anywho, as far as I know, Kien was gonna be looking heavily into Yoshi after fighting BC's Yoshi, so expect changes to be done on him regardless.

Thor

Moved this to the top because it seemed important:

I'd be fine if stomp, uair, and nair were unsafe on shield, but knee and bair were safe - I think it'd fit Falcon best, since you have to decide between the low-range aerials (or facing backwards, meaning you have to pivot for grab or jab) and sweetspot them for safety on shields vs poor priority, or go for longer-range or more rewarding hits that if shielded get you punished (stomp is easily the most rewarding aerial since it leads to knee even if the opponent is able to DI well). This was in my head when I initially complained, and I should've said so upfront.

No.......don't interpret it that way just to help your arguement. That's taking it FAR out of context. I literally said aerial and you are bringing grounded attacks into it now. That's like me saying " by your logic, you should never shield anything, ever. Sheilding is clearly bad."

I clearly meant that you used an unsafe aerial against a shielding opponent. You should be punished for that, end of story.

Edit: and why the heck are you comparing two moves on two characters that are built completely different again? Peach's fair works that way because she isn't fast, isnt strong, isnt as combo oriented, and isn't as heavy falcon.

Peach's everything not dair is safe on shield if float cancelled, and fair is safe on shield if autocancelled.

Falcon's heaviness, terrible tech roll, and fallspeed frankly work against him when being combo'd - he's far easier to zero-death than Peach, unless the character has generic zero-death tools [DK comes to mind] at which point they're both hosed.

And no, you said, and I quote directly:

If you throw out an aerial while someone is shielding, the one that got outplayed is you.

Aerials being unsafe on shield? Some of them are for good reason [I'm looking at you, Falco's fair, most late nairs (Fox, Samus, etc.), and several other aerials]. Knee is currently entirely unsafe outside of your opponent being in hitstun. It already sucks in neutral, so making it suck slightly less in neutral [considering Falcon already loses onstage and offstage to Fox, while decisively being outplayed offstage by Falco and onstage being even or Falco-favored] is hardly out of line. Defensive options in Minus aren't exactly weak, and Falcon has poor defensive options compared to many [poor OoS game - has an Ok jab, sure, but his aerials aren't good OoS and up+b is terrible, while grab and jab are both short-range], so I don't see why his strongest aerial has to be unsafe on shield. This would hardly break Falcon, but it would make him slightly less vulnerable when looking for a random knee [which is rarely a good idea anyway].

And if you look at the safe on shield aerials? Most of them have poor range or high startup [ex: Falco dair and nair each have poor range, strong nairs can be spaced but that requires tight timing and removes their defensive capabilities, Ganondorf's autocancel dair seems safe from what I've seen, but slow and must be very close, etc.]. Falcon has both of those on knee... still unsafe. As a global design choice, his fair is inconsistent.

And frankly, if it was just decreased hitlag on shield for Falcon, but same shieldstun, that'd fix the problem too - but making knee EVEN MORE unsafe on shield than it already is in regular Minus [I've been shieldgrabbed out of that move a fair bit - I'd love to get frame data numbers but I'm nearly positive it's like -4 on shield] is just lame. Knee is already risky because a whiff on the strong hit often ends a combo, as compared to his other aerials [it's very doable to just use dair and nair and uair to KO someone, with finishing RAR bairs if absolutely necessary, and all of those moves are more generous than knee in hitbox duration and reliability - soft bair to strong bair is awesome and pretty easy], so making it unsafe on shield just makes knee even less useful.

I guess in a lot of ways, this goes back to what Rodriguez [or whatever his name was] was discussing with regards to PM being more broken than Minus - this is one easily identifiable instance where PM is far more broken for having knee safe on shield [they have it positive on shield, I just wanted like 0 on shield], although knee being safe on shield isn't even broken, it just makes knee less awful in neutral.

You don't compare two characters with completely different play styles in hopes of helping an argument gain weight. If anything, said argument loses weight. Way too many variables are involved with every character's kit to be credibly compared to one another. Saying one move is better than another on two different characters (and they aren't even used in the same state of being) is just ridiculous.

Anywho, as far as I know, Kien was gonna be looking heavily into Yoshi after fighting BC's Yoshi, so expect changes to be done on him regardless.

I didn't say Peach's fair is better [though I'd take her FC fair over Falcon's knee]. I said it's safer on shield. It has lower KO power and is slightly slower, although it does have no sourspot.

My argument only loses weight if I'm cherry-picking stuff - I have come up with other safe on shield aerials, my point being that aerials being unsafe on shield is for the most part not how Minus works. In general, if you space a slow and/or poor-priority aerial carefully and sweetspot it, your aerial is safe on shield. This is not true for Falcon's knee.

Really it's just Yoshi usmash that boggles my mind, although fair's hitlag is obnoxious.

Gold_TSG

It depends on the aerial, I think. Like Bowser's dair is just lol against shields.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Thor have you never heard of risk vs reward? You're looking at a move that DI OR NOT can KO below 90%, chain into itself, shatter a shield in 3 or so hits or after a decent combo, be true combod out of half falcon's moveset, works as a combo starter, and lastly a combo finisher. You want this move to be safe on shield because Falcon doesn't have a lot of moves that are safe on shield. Does he need them? He has a move that instantly shatters a shield up to 5 times... even though it has long start up. Let's look at other moves and see how they would be if they were safe on shield. TL's fair. Good range, disjoint, combo finisher, decent damage. Link's fair. High damage, okay range, combo finisher. Zelda's fair (lightning kick) KO move, combo finisher, decent range. Etc. The list goes on to moves that if they were safe on shield they'd be horribly unbalanced. You keep saying that Falcon loses to the space animals offstage. Of course he does! They all have extremely easy gimps with shines and the one who can't shine has the easiest to land lingering KO spike from like 20. I can't outright think of a character who beats them offstage. Using the Falcon knee chains because of bad DI as an excuse while saying Falco can land 6 dairs with good reads also doesn't help anything. Reading your opponent is a lot more difficult than an opponent who doesn't know that DOWN DI is the only way to survive. You said it yourself that survival DI can still result in you not surviving. That's not good design.

Thor

Thor have you never heard of risk vs reward? You're looking at a move that DI OR NOT can KO below 90%, chain into itself, shatter a shield in 3 or so hits or after a decent combo, be true combod out of half falcon's moveset, works as a combo starter, and lastly a combo finisher. You want this move to be safe on shield because Falcon doesn't have a lot of moves that are safe on shield. Does he need them? He has a move that instantly shatters a shield up to 5 times... even though it has long start up. Let's look at other moves and see how they would be if they were safe on shield. TL's fair. Good range, disjoint, combo finisher, decent damage. Link's fair. High damage, okay range, combo finisher. Zelda's fair (lightning kick) KO move, combo finisher, decent range. Etc. The list goes on to moves that if they were safe on shield they'd be horribly unbalanced. You keep saying that Falcon loses to the space animals offstage. Of course he does! They all have extremely easy gimps with shines and the one who can't shine has the easiest to land lingering KO spike from like 20. I can't outright think of a character who beats them offstage. Using the Falcon knee chains because of bad DI as an excuse while saying Falco can land 6 dairs with good reads also doesn't help anything. Reading your opponent is a lot more difficult than an opponent who doesn't know that DOWN DI is the only way to survive. You said it yourself that survival DI can still result in you not surviving. That's not good design.

The fact that you ask me about risk-reward, when I literally told the dev team that risk-reward-reliability is the reason Warlock Punch is trash, amuses me.

Falcon's fair won't ever shatter a shield unless that person gets offstage Warlock-Punched on a regular basis - youc an roll, spotdodge, grab him out of jumpsquat, or counter with an aerial if he tries to do repeat knees.

Link's fair being safe on shield isn't horribly imbalanced, and neither is Zelda's lightning kicks. Heck, PM has both of those + on shield and both of those characters basically suck, and neither of them is unbalanced at all. Toon Link's fair being safe on shield wouldn't be terrible either (it might be in PM, I don't know). Falcon's knee is safe on shield in PM and he fits fine in their atmosphere of weaker characters [some consider him too good but that's because they don't know how to edgeguard raptor boost lol].

To be honest, at this point I'm not even asking for true safety on shield anymore (+/- 0 on shield or better), I'm just going to ask for a knee that isn't literally a guaranteed shieldgrab when sweetspotted in front - just like -2 or something so buffered jab can stuff potential shieldgrabs [which loses to shieldgrab after anyway].

The difference between Falcon's knee chains and Falco's dair chains onstage is that Falcons knee chains require insane reaction time to pick up the tech chases or ignorance on the receiving end of the knees, while Falco's dair chain works even if the opponent knows its coming [s/o to jab resets]. Falcon's may not be balanced for low-level play or whatever, but if we're balancing it around scrubby people we should also nerf Ike fsmash because it's way 3 good man. I think Falco's ability to chain dairs together onstage or offstage is far more broken than Falcon's, because it is much easier to execute consistently and set up situations where you can start the chain.

Survival DI not resulting in surviving is good design when you're supposed to combo DI - that's what a DI mixup is (and why Falcons in Melee often uair -> knee from uthrow instead - they think they need that extra percent and want to see if they can get the opponent DIing badly). There's that awkward percentage where you die from a knee to knee or you die off the side, but Falcon has to go extremely deep for that [and maybe can't survive, I've seen people suicide going that deep multiple times], it's a part of the game works, just as risky offstage dairs as Marth work. And if you survival DI it, there's also the chance they just uair you to safely extend the combo and they live on. [FYI that awkward percentage also exists with a few other moves/setups, like survival DIing Wario's uair only to get waft'd for your troubles]. It's also their reward for getting that tiny sweetspot range and location where you are stuck in their DI trap [which can still possibly be escaped via SDI anyway - survival DI but SDI away, as an example].

Also survival DI not resulting in survival is called dying to a KO move, like the Mortal Draw, Warlock Punch, or any real KO move over 200% or whatever. The knee just happens to KO earlier than 200%.

Thor

Earlier than 80 you mean.

Depends on who you play. That's why characters have different weights.

And comparing moves to pm again....

When people assert something would be "borribly unbalanced" in the Minus environment, and we can look to another game where that same "horribly unbalanced" thing exists and see that it's NOT "horribly unbalanced", the comparison can reasonably be made.

If someone told me that Link's zair launching people back toward him on bad DI to allow for dair followups was "horribly unbalanced" I'd point to PM and say "Nope! Works here just fine." Similarly, if someone said Peach bomber on shield being activated was broken, I'd point to Smash 4 and say "Nuh-uh".

If I had said knee should be like +7 on shield, well yes, that'd be broken [literally inescapable grabs from Falcon]. But giving Falcon a 50-50 to avoid a shieldgrab if he sweetspots knee close to the ground is hardly broken.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I should also note that I never stated that I wouldn't be reducing some of Falcon's landing lag. I won't be giving him as little lag as he had in normal Minus however. Even if he has to get 2 frames more than vMinus, he does in fact NEED landing lag. Throwing out knees in neutral is about as bad as throwing out dairs with Link. You're using your second slowest, most powerful move and hoping to shield trap someone with it so that you can punish. It's basically similar to how Bent wanted WP to be safe offstage (Although I don't think safe offstage WP is a bad idea.) In your case though, you're asking to make a move only beatable by out prioritizing or outranging it. Other than that, you have to dodge it. There are some moves that must be shielded, but very few that CAN'T be shielded without you eating something afterwards anyway. My hitstun is already reduced. The only thing I want to remove is from Falcon is infinite knees and everything combos into knee. If you have a better idea of how to reach that, let's hear it so I can try that. I don't main Falcon so I don't know all of his options into knee and you didn't tell me when I asked you to list them.

I also want to tell you that PM has a completely different environment than Minus. Things that are okay in PM would be beyond broken in Minus due to ease of combos. In PM Link's zair doesn't do 16% and his fair doesn't do over 25 because both won't ever connect at mid to high percents. In minus if we made Link's zair pull in and combo with aerials that'd be a true combo into ANY of Link's low percent finishers.

Thor

I should also note that I never stated that I wouldn't be reducing some of Falcon's landing lag. I won't be giving him as little lag as he had in normal Minus however. Even if he has to get 2 frames more than vMinus, he does in fact NEED landing lag. Throwing out knees in neutral is about as bad as throwing out dairs with Link. You're using your second slowest, most powerful move and hoping to shield trap someone with it so that you can punish. It's basically similar to how Bent wanted WP to be safe offstage (Although I don't think safe offstage WP is a bad idea.) In your case though, you're asking to make a move only beatable by out prioritizing or outranging it. Other than that, you have to dodge it. There are some moves that must be shielded, but very few that CAN'T be shielded without you eating something afterwards anyway. My hitstun is already reduced. The only thing I want to remove is from Falcon is infinite knees and everything combos into knee. If you have a better idea of how to reach that, let's hear it so I can try that. I don't main Falcon so I don't know all of his options into knee and you didn't tell me when I asked you to list them.

I also want to tell you that PM has a completely different environment than Minus. Things that are okay in PM would be beyond broken in Minus due to ease of combos. In PM Link's zair doesn't do 16% and his fair doesn't do over 25 because both won't ever connect at mid to high percents. In minus if we made Link's zair pull in and combo with aerials that'd be a true combo into ANY of Link's low percent finishers.

Link's zair pulling in wouldn't be broken if we balanced around it of course. That's why I suggested making knee a mixup tool and reducing safety of other aerials. But whatever.

Fair can connect both hits at high percents vs characters that true CC the first hit [I've done that since SH fair allows both hits out if you don't fastfall].

Honestly? I'd love it if Minus Link had PM zair, where the outbound hitbox did 1% and the claw did 4% - would make his combo game a lot more interesting and make a zair a sweet poke [could nerf bombs some to compensate, then everyone wins cuz Link does cool combos and people don't get mad they died to bombs at early percents]. But that's neither here nor there. I DO see your point about adjusting values and whatnot, but again, that's why I suggested toning down other parts of his air game.

Shield trapping isn't how it'd work, since they could grab before he could unless he jabbed, but they could roll out before jab or whatever. It's a 50-50 mixup, not a lock. Shielding it and buffering a defensive option would also beat this out, unless he reads that option correctly [you have 3 that will protect you from immediate followup and at least 2 that beat out his grab in drop shield jab and grab yourself]. Safe on shield =/= free grab if landed, it just means your opponent can't shieldgrab/punish you for your action IF you deploy your fastest hitbox to counter such a grab or hit [so safe ons hield vs Fox is tighter because Fox has shine OoS, the fastest OoS at frame 4]. Again, if grabs are frame 6, Falcon's knee is -3, and his jab is frame 2 (or something like that), it's good enough for me.

I don't recall you telling me what to list combos into knee, but...
If survival DI [DI to go toward upper corner blastzone] (all of these are percent specific, some highly so): ftilt, dtilt, utilt [non-meteor, maybe meteor on grounded???], dsmash, fsmash, usmash, fthrow???, dthrow?, uthrow?, side+b, neutral B, down+b? [basically everything not his throws, raptor boost with survival DI only works at very, VERY low percents].

Things that reliably combo into knee if they are survival DI'd [aka at a fairly range of percents]: uair, dair, maybe weak bair if low to ground.

Things that have a middling range [it's not impossible but it's not a huge range of percents]: knee, jab3, bair.

Bthrow can have tech-chase knee, up+B might be able to Falcon Kick -> double jump knee at very, very tight percents.

The joke is "everything leads into knee" when I do Falcon dittos with another good Falcon I know. However, we both survival DI more than we should.

Off combo DI [i.e., basically guaranteed): Falcon Kick -> dair -> knee, grounded dair -> knee, usmash2 -> knee (SDI on usmash1 can avoid this), dthrow knee on a very few specific characters. Uair knee might be at the very lowest percents where it induces tumble but I don't honestly know. I believe raptor boost -> knee is guaranteed at 0% in the ditto specifically [and against super fatties like Bowser, Snake, and Ganondorf]. However, you must double jump for this conversion, so a followup knee to the first knee is not possible here, regardless of DI from what I've tried.

Hopefully that helps inform how you adjust Falcon's knee and moveset, be it more safety or less.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
you guys miss that in a risk-reward system, there is also the aspect of reliability (i now thor got that), but debatably more importantly, REQUIREMENT:

I.e, whereas falcon needing to be airborne for a move is a very low requirement, and the move landing a certain way (sweetspot) is easy to achieve as well, ultrataunting a charge for his instant-pawnch (again, just as an example) is something that takes more time to prepare..

I believe it would make the game faster paced if landing lag was reduced if the move lands, rather than whiffs, so the combos can be made if the foe is hit to carry the game faster, but not too quickly, while also only rewarding successful attacks, and punishing instances where you should dodge... i only think it should be reduced a little, and not negated, and while endlag on the character's animation when they land should be reduced, i also think hit stun could be increased.. this way, the game feels like it pauses as the move lands, but once the character touches ground, he's still fine.. hit stun should slow both characters however, this way you do have the chance, if you PERFECT shielded, to grab your opponent in the frames they are landing, and the hit stopping the motion gives you a notice of this, but if the attack was something weak, there's no real lag and no real window to punish because it wasn't meant to be risky...

basically, priority should go:
  • if you perfect shield, you should have the best window versus any other method of encountering an attack and be ready to move more quickly than the below methods
  • if you spot dodge, you'll still have a good chance of retaliating before the foe, as long as the hit "would have hit you" (it should be made so an attack phasing through you while you're invulnerable should interrupt the dodge animation but keeping you intangible the same amount of time), so you can punish if you did it well enough (or maybe this should work for perfect shielding?)
  • if you only regular shielded, you both have about the same window to respond, depending on the move's landing lag being covered or not by the reduction to landing lag made by hitting you
  • if you got hit by the move the foe attempted, the foe may be able to follow up (if the move's landing lag was decreased enough), and you may be hit again..
That's just what i think would be interesting/cool to see... it could be made so this way only works in a fashion like turbo mode, so it's not permanent, but i think perfect shielding should be rewarded most if landed right, followed by spot dodging, rolling and normal shielding on the same level (depending on situation)...

Thor

you guys miss that in a risk-reward system, there is also the aspect of reliability (i now thor got that), but debatably more importantly, REQUIREMENT:

I.e, whereas falcon needing to be airborne for a move is a very low requirement, and the move landing a certain way (sweetspot) is easy to achieve as well, ultrataunting a charge for his instant-pawnch (again, just as an example) is something that takes more time to prepare..

I believe it would make the game faster paced if landing lag was reduced if the move lands, rather than whiffs, so the combos can be made if the foe is hit to carry the game faster, but not too quickly, while also only rewarding successful attacks, and punishing instances where you should dodge... i only think it should be reduced a little, and not negated, and while endlag on the character's animation when they land should be reduced, i also think hit stun could be increased.. this way, the game feels like it pauses as the move lands, but once the character touches ground, he's still fine.. hit stun should slow both characters however, this way you do have the chance, if you PERFECT shielded, to grab your opponent in the frames they are landing, and the hit stopping the motion gives you a notice of this, but if the attack was something weak, there's no real lag and no real window to punish because it wasn't meant to be risky...

basically, priority should go:
  • if you perfect shield, you should have the best window versus any other method of encountering an attack and be ready to move more quickly than the below methods
  • if you spot dodge, you'll still have a good chance of retaliating before the foe, as long as the hit "would have hit you" (it should be made so an attack phasing through you while you're invulnerable should interrupt the dodge animation but keeping you intangible the same amount of time), so you can punish if you did it well enough (or maybe this should work for perfect shielding?)
  • if you only regular shielded, you both have about the same window to respond, depending on the move's landing lag being covered or not by the reduction to landing lag made by hitting you
  • if you got hit by the move the foe attempted, the foe may be able to follow up (if the move's landing lag was decreased enough), and you may be hit again..
That's just what i think would be interesting/cool to see... it could be made so this way only works in a fashion like turbo mode, so it's not permanent, but i think perfect shielding should be rewarded most if landed right, followed by spot dodging, rolling and normal shielding on the same level (depending on situation)...

I think you mean hitlag. Falcon's knee has a crapton of hitlag. Perfect shielding is rewarded vs Falcon's knee anyway [I've seen perfect shield - grab while Falcon was still in freeze frames before].

I roll requirement into reliability - something's not reliable if the requirement to make it work is too high [i.e. Warlock Punch offstage requires your opponent to be falling in range in sync with you while helpless or committed to something laggy, or else a read of ridiculous proportions suggesting they'll badly airdodge - ridiculously high requirement = extremely low reliability].

(This is an example, I'm not saying anything about Warlock Punch other than that it has a high requirement, no discussion or infractions pls.)

I don't have much to say on your idea, other than that Kien seems to want to remove brainless zero-deaths [if the game has combos they'll almost certainly exist] and reduce safety of many moves, so I'm not sure this is in-line with it.

Gold_TSG

Reliability has nothing to do with risk vs reward, as the reliability of the attack is based on the player. It's up to the player to figure out when and where to use an attack.

As for the whole knee thing, if you're getting perfect shielded and grabbed out of it, you deserve to be grabbed as a reward to the one who risked the timing to get that perfect shield. Knee is not a combo starter or a continuation by nature. It is a finisher. Landing it offstage almost always guarantees the stock, and as such, it is a valuable attack for someone as quick as Falcon. Therefore it doesn't need to be overly safe on shield if it sweetspots.

And if I see offstage warlock punch mentioned again in here, I'm handing out a warning. I don't care who says it. That topic has been quarantined to its own topic, and I don't want it to leak anymore.

Thor

Reliability has nothing to do with risk vs reward, as the reliability of the attack is based on the player. It's up to the player to figure out when and where to use an attack.

As for the whole knee thing, if you're getting perfect shielded and grabbed out of it, you deserve to be grabbed as a reward to the one who risked the timing to get that perfect shield. Knee is not a combo starter or a continuation by nature. It is a finisher. Landing it offstage almost always guarantees the stock, and as such, it is a valuable attack for someone as quick as Falcon. Therefore it doesn't need to be overly safe on shield if it sweetspots.

And if I see offstage warlock punch mentioned again in here, I'm handing out a warning. I don't care who says it. That topic has been quarantined to its own topic, and I don't want it to leak anymore.

It's a tertiary concern. If something is "Equal" risk and reward (be it, minimum, maximum, w/e), you can't put all those moves on the same plane - Falcon Punch is high-risk, high-reward, but it's much less useful than Fox's shine onstage for someone who can't wavedash, which is low-risk, low-reward [it pings them away and they can't punish it easily]. That's because Fox's shine is much more reliable at poking them away without being punished.

I know perfect shield means it should be punishable, I was saying if someone just shields it with regular shield, it still being shieldgrabbable if sweetspotted is silly. Sure it finishes, but it's not very practical onstage, whereas numerous other aerials (or entire sets of aerials) are [Wario, Fox's, Wolf's, Falco's aerials onstage all are, and his fair is a finisher [while Wolf's bair finishes well]... actually @Kien you should really check Falco's fair chains, they're more obnoxious than knee chains since Falco can chase better offstage].

I have no idea why so much of what I say gets distorted... this is like when people thought I was saying to buff Kirby's uthrow (please no <_<).

Gold_TSG

We aren't talking about Fox, or Falco, or Peach, or Dorf, or Samus, or Olimar, or Little Mac, or Ronald McDonald, or Master Chief. We are talking about Falcon. His kit should not be compared to a character that plays completely differently than he does. Fox's shine is retarded. End of story. Low risk with enormous reward in many situations. If Falcon needs something changed, it will likely be addressed, but this pressuring for something that has been explained won't really get anywhere.

I'll reiterate just to make sure nothing is misunderstood. Risk vs reward is how attacks are designed and balanced around.
"This attack is strong and quick and can be used pretty much anywhere? Put some punishment downside to it where possible so it can't be super abused."
"This attack is quick, deals low damage and doesn't have a ton of utility except in certain situations? No need to make it super easy to punish. Maybe even make it a combo starter or something."

Reliability is solely on the player's shoulders, because that is a judgment issue.
"Should I use this attack now and risk the punishment? Or wait til they're in a stunned or otherwise vulnerable state?"
Reliability shouldn't be taken highly into consideration when designing attacks, especially if trying to mesh with risk vs reward. The results wouldn't work, because then nothing would ever be "unreliable." Some attacks need a downside to them as a deterrent to using them too much for their reward. Falcon would neither be fun to fight as or against it you could do nothing but throw knees all match and never be punished for them, even when shielded.

Jabs are "reliable" depending how you look at them, and there's low risk with low reward. However, if you did nothing but throw jabs all the time, and your opponent decided not to get hit by them anymore, they are no longer "reliable" because you can't hit your opponent. A good example for this is the new jabs in smash 4. They're good, but highly punishable when shielded. Why? Cause the risk vs reward was changed.

TL;DR
Reliability is on the player, not the attack.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
If Falcon has all of those combos into Knee, why do you also feel that he needs it to be a reset to neutral on shield? If you play as Marth (and you did last I remember) would you want his dair to be safe on shield? It's a great attack but it's a situational combo finisher when used at its best. The move is his laggiest and easiest to punish aerial, but also the most useful. I don't think you understand something about my custom build. You compared it to normal minus standards after all. If I agreed with those, I wouldn't have a custom build to begin with. Minus is being held back by "staples" and other things that just make the game too limited for my tastes. I'm much more open to feedback, but I'm not going to let something blatantly stupid sit in the game. The way I see it, Falcon doesn't struggle with building damage and he doesn't struggle with landing knees or other KO moves. Falcon has more setups into kills than anyone I can think of outside of maybe Luigi.

As for the whole Falco thing. Falco is supposed to be a menace offstage, though I might remove one of his jumps for safe measure. I don't think him chaining his aerial is as big of a deal since it doesn't kill around 80. If it does though then yes, I'll tone up the landing lag a bit and revert the endlag to normal Minus.

Thor

If Falcon has all of those combos into Knee, why do you also feel that he needs it to be a reset to neutral on shield? If you play as Marth (and you did last I remember) would you want his dair to be safe on shield? It's a great attack but it's a situational combo finisher when used at its best. The move is his laggiest and easiest to punish aerial, but also the most useful. I don't think you understand something about my custom build. You compared it to normal minus standards after all. If I agreed with those, I wouldn't have a custom build to begin with. Minus is being held back by "staples" and other things that just make the game too limited for my tastes. I'm much more open to feedback, but I'm not going to let something blatantly stupid sit in the game. The way I see it, Falcon doesn't struggle with building damage and he doesn't struggle with landing knees or other KO moves. Falcon has more setups into kills than anyone I can think of outside of maybe Luigi.

As for the whole Falco thing. Falco is supposed to be a menace offstage, though I might remove one of his jumps for safe measure. I don't think him chaining his aerial is as big of a deal since it doesn't kill around 80. If it does though then yes, I'll tone up the landing lag a bit and revert the endlag to normal Minus.

He only has good combos into knee if you suck.

If you don't suck, he has highly percent specific uair combos, and otherwise combos from a high commitment attack [Falcon kick], a combo that's meaty but will NEVER kill [Raptor boost at 0%] and his only aerial with even worse startup and priority, dair. That's really not a lot.

Uair is and will always be more generally useful than knee. Juggles better, safer on shield [knee is terrible since there's so much hitlag], combo starter, still KOs fine, sets up into anything. Much, much faster, and less endlag. There's a reason in Melee whenever people asked Hax for advice, he said "uair more" - the move is his best, whether or not knee is safe on shield. Knees may be satisfying to land, but uair is best in a huge number of situations.

Also uair is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to induce "Survival DI killed you, combo DI killed you" because combo DIing uair can KO you at like 90% on the ledge, but survival DIing it up to at least 130% can lead to knees or uairs depending on position [maybe later], at least as Falco. Knee does that a lot less, just so you're aware for your mod.

Fox and Ganondorf set up into KOs more easily. Fox can waveshine half the cast into shine gimps [lol] which is set up from literally anything -> shine or somehow knock them offstage -> shine. Ganondorf's everything KOs. I'm pretty sure Wolf and Pikachu do as well [bair is dumb on both of them, as is uair and up+B] but I'm poorly practiced with them. [Also Fox shine is dumb.]

Lemme fetch you a gfycat of when Falco's fair KOs: http://gfycat.com/OfficialBouncyAiredaleterrier

Yes, it really is that dumb. And yes, I've done this sort of thing multiple times. Falco's fair is broken at the ledge and really bad onstage - if you gave him Melee nair as a new nair and gave him current nair as fair, he'd have a much, much better neutral game, but he couldn't do what I did in the gfycat. I'm not sure which is more broken to be honest.

We aren't talking about Fox, or Falco, or Peach, or Dorf, or Samus, or Olimar, or Little Mac, or Ronald McDonald, or Master Chief. We are talking about Falcon. His kit should not be compared to a character that plays completely differently than he does. Fox's shine is retarded. End of story. Low risk with enormous reward in many situations. If Falcon needs something changed, it will likely be addressed, but this pressuring for something that has been explained won't really get anywhere.

Good Falcons basically only nair and grab in neutral [in Minus we can add Raptor Boost as a projectile punish and Falcon Kick as a generic long range punish, but Falcon Kick is easily baited] because those are his tools with not-crappy startup and range (I'm messing around with bair and so are various Melee Falcons, the move is underrated). You won't see a good Falcon throwing out random knees even when it's safe on shield, because it's just too hard to land. If someone takes that risk and sweetspots it, I think they should be allowed to not be instantly shieldgrabbed, unless they got perfect shielded [then get rekt - more on that below]. Clearly this mod (and Minus as a whole) think that's too broken (and too broken in Minus is a laughable concept to me, but I guess others have different concepts of what broken truly is).

I'll reiterate just to make sure nothing is misunderstood. Risk vs reward is how attacks are designed and balanced around.
"This attack is strong and quick and can be used pretty much anywhere? Put some punishment downside to it where possible so it can't be super abused."
"This attack is quick, deals low damage and doesn't have a ton of utility except in certain situations? No need to make it super easy to punish. Maybe even make it a combo starter or something."

Reliability is solely on the player's shoulders, because that is a judgment issue.
"Should I use this attack now and risk the punishment? Or wait til they're in a stunned or otherwise vulnerable state?"

"Gee, they're offstage below me. Do I use Falco's dair? Is it something likely to land?" It stays out forever and meteor smashes them. It's the most reliable gimping tool in Minus outside of Fox shine [which is dumb]. The reward is not only high, it's extremely easy to land considering it's a meteor smash. Compared to Ganondorf's dair, it's clear that Falco's dair is SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable than Ganon's dair.

Sure, you can say "a player can make it just as reliable" but if you give them Falco's dair it will only ever be even more reliable than it is, and vice versa [since double dair out of a meteor cancel is easy, they can only go up or in their recovery animation - having one or two options is really, really bad vs that dair]. Reliability is a question of utility that is separate from risk [if Luigi's dtaunt was fully invincible, it'd be very low risk, but still almost fully unreliable, and no, you can't "make" it more reliable as a player, it just wont' work against someone who knows what they're doing.]. This is why reliability matters - some things are so extreme, they must have a separate consideration aside from risk-reward to be accurately understood. I think knee is the same, because while it seems low or medium-risk high-reward on paper, this ONLY applies in the punish game - it is high-risk low or medium reward in neutral, and I'd like to see that solidified to "medium reward" in general. Others feel otherwise, and I'm going to have to take a step back and just tell myself "That's ok.".

Reliability shouldn't be taken highly into consideration when designing attacks, especially if trying to mesh with risk vs reward. The results wouldn't work, because then nothing would ever be "unreliable." Some attacks need a downside to them as a deterrent to using them too much for their reward. Falcon would neither be fun to fight as or against it you could do nothing but throw knees all match and never be punished for them, even when shielded.

Jabs are "reliable" depending how you look at them, and there's low risk with low reward. However, if you did nothing but throw jabs all the time, and your opponent decided not to get hit by them anymore, they are no longer "reliable" because you can't hit your opponent. A good example for this is the new jabs in smash 4. They're good, but highly punishable when shielded. Why? Cause the risk vs reward was changed.

TL;DR
Reliability is on the player, not the attack.

You can make attacks intentionally unreliable [Falcon Punch, other stuff] to balance out risk-reward (which is already done to some moves). Falcon's knee's downside is its poor range and high startup.

Jabs are a reliable way to check OoS options, but not one to KO. That's the point - nothing should be reliable to do everything [again, shoutouts to Fox shine].

I guess the real problem is that I think knee should be safe to use on an opponent not looking to directly counter the knee, via a powershield, a faster attack, or a dodge often for the slow startup knee [spotdodge often fails vs stomp]. This is NOT how you and Kien view it, hence our differences.

I'll drop this topic as "agree to disagree" since it's going almost nowhere, unless you'd both rather keep discussing the knee [it is one of the moves I like quite a lot, alongside Link's nair, Link's dair, Falcon's dair, Falco's dair, Falco's bair, Falcon Punch, Kien's Gandouken change, Pikachu's bair, Pikachu's thunder, LUigi taunt, Luigi up+B, and Wario up+b, to name just a few.]