Kien's Custom Minus Build

Thor

I have a friend Rukio who is a really sick Lucas...

I meant on the boards. Who knows, maybe Pink Fresh plays this game and could body us all XD. But even if that were the case, we wouldn't have footage or whatever to show that, and that's what my post is going off of - I can't think of anyone who's on here a lot who plays Lucas besides Tybis (who has a nice Lucas), which is why his name came to mind.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
If I can get Rukio on here I'll let you know. He can beat me pretty evenly so I'll go ahead and say he's likely the best Lucas around.

Oh yeah, and if Pikachu has a jump cancel at the end of his QA that'll make it infinite-able. Not sure if it's worth all the effort. A grab cancel could be interesting though...

Thor

If I can get Rukio on here I'll let you know. He can beat me pretty evenly so I'll go ahead and say he's likely the best Lucas around.

Oh yeah, and if Pikachu has a jump cancel at the end of his QA that'll make it infinite-able. Not sure if it's worth all the effort. A grab cancel could be interesting though...

It can infinite in Brawl then I guess. It has an attack cancel already (it may have a dash/walking cancel, but I don't think so).

Did you check the shield damage of fsmash? If so, what is your opinion on that?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
It was ridiculous. Basically it was like Ike doing Eruption every time he side smashed.

Thor

It was ridiculous. Basically it was like Ike doing Eruption every time he side smashed.

And I've flagged it at least like 3 times now [once elsewhere, once in my Pika notes, and a second time here]. For the record, I think QA through shield -> QA back through (and QAC it) -> fsmash MIGHT be a shield break combo, although of course tricky to set up and not inescapable.

I don't know WHY Pikachu's fsmash does it, and as a Pikachu player I won't look a gift horse in the mouth for the regular Minus build (thank you to whatever dev had a rationale for that - although I think it's unsafe on shields if the shield doesn't break), but I am assuming that the shield damage will be toned down? After all, random fsmash hitting shield -> shieldbreak (because not full health shield or whatever) -> skull bash seems relatively possible, though of course not easy to set up.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Yeah, I am toning that down. I personally think Thunder should be more powerful against shields. Speaking of which, do Pika players prefer it do what Minus thunder does? In terms of power it KOing off the top like Vbrawl is definitely more powerful

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
My friend subs Pikachu, and he loves the Minus Thunder. He'll knock me offstage then try to edgeguard me with Thunder. When he does, we have to pause the game because we're laughing so hard.

NEWB

Laughing? What?

I personally don't think it should edge gaurd so easily. There doesn't feel like skill to me, just place giant hitbox here and jump and place another one. I think thunder should only spike if they get hit by the bolt as it goes down (hits them from above) and that it should hit away if they just ram into it.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Laughing? What?
Yes. Laughing. As in, he always times his Thunder so perfectly so that it always comes before or after the Aether's armor and it's always spikes me, not enough to instantly KO me but enough to keep me from living. It's hilarious.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
I can't think of anyone who's on here a lot who plays Lucas besides Tybis (who has a nice Lucas), which is why his name came to mind.
Ellipses (or one of his friends?) plays a really good Lucas, I tell you hwat.

Thor

Yeah, I am toning that down. I personally think Thunder should be more powerful against shields. Speaking of which, do Pika players prefer it do what Minus thunder does? In terms of power it KOing off the top like Vbrawl is definitely more powerful

Thunder walls offstage are great (but not unavoidable) against a lot of linear recoveries or rather slow horizontal movement (Wolf, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Snake, etc.), but don't work as well against those who can stall around them or reflect them (Fox, Falco [Wolf doesn't because I believe his reflector doesn't stall - and even if it does he probably doesn't have the stalling power to stall and get in place to reflect], Jigglypuff, ROB, etc.).

I think it would be awesome if about the bottom 2/3 was a meteor and the top 1/3 had vertical launching power - this would make it rather reliably meteor and rather reliably kill off the top, usually getting whichever half is better (since I sem to always land the top third when going for off the top, though of course not the entire top third launches upward). I do like it launching downward for most of it if this isn't feasible though.

I get the feeling fsmash had its ridiculous shield damage when they took normal fsmash and made it multihit, but didn't touch shield damage - then instead of being a single powerful hit that does like 4 shield damage, you have like 10 that do 4 shield damage and BOOM shield-breaking fsmash (I am making up numbers here, but I think you get the point).

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
After adjusting to everything in Smash 4, I just can't say I enjoy Minus as much anymore. The foreverstun from attacks for artificial combos doesn't feel right in comparison, and the horrid misbalance and allowed brokenness of certain characters has simply worn its welcome with me. It was fun for a while, but Smash 4 is more fun and balanced to me, and I like a lot of the changes they did. Minus actually feels slower in many aspects, especially with certain characters that I use. I've simply moved on, and plan on playing the hell out of Smash 4, and I hope most of you guys will join me once the Wii U version finally hits, cause I don't want to have to rely on For Glory for interesting fights.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Honestly, I'm thinking about reducing hitstun with this build. I've played Minus with Vbrawl hitstun and it felt godly.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Circumstances are preventing me from testing some of my changes. (any of them) but some I know for a fact are fine so... that's what's keeping me from updating.

NEWB

I kinda get where gold is coming from in terns of hitstun. A lot of times it feels like it works, but I sometimes feel like it was either stupidly or unnecessarily wrong.

I still enjoy the heck out of minus though. I would normaly say that minus FFAs are the best but 8 player smash is allowed in smash 4. In all fairness, there is no competing with that.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I could never replace Minus with Smash 4. Or vice versa. They each have that certain something to them that make them so fun to play. I always catch myself debating whether to play Smash 4 or Minus. They're both amazing, I could never decide which one is better.