Kien's Custom Minus Build

NEWB

It is catchy, but he has a point. Minus is also a game that is still abstract. The meta for minus isn't evolving but the game is changing anyway. Minus today isn't even remotely minus a year or so ago.

I would support remarketing the game and adding some smash 4 ish things.

What would vectoring do to minus?

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Well, obviously things need to get back to the way things used to be. They aren't even in the same level. Also vectoring would be interesting, but if it exists with DI...I don't even want to know. Wouldn't it be hard just to get it in the game? Besides, if we add some Sm4sh things, couldn't the BR get a Cease & Desist letter or something?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
IMO, these are the only two good ideas posted on this page so far:
EDIT: As far as marketing Minus goes, recommend to friends, if you have it and go to other tournaments bring it
find some people to play test and note that we always love more play testers.

Everything else are terrible ideas, if you ask me. Especially this:
In other words, we could just sell it as a more chaotic but incredibly fast version of Melee [and in doing so also sell our souls, but who cares? It's FOR SCIENCE!].

1409789087877.gif

Let's not make Brawl Minus any more like Melee than it is now. It's called BRAWL Minus, not MELEE Minus.

We don't need any radical changes or a name change. It's too late for that anyway, with Smash 4 out.

Now is the time to fix the bugs, round out the characters that need help, and put the final coat of polish on Minus. It's GREAT as-is -- I think we only need 1-3 more big updates for Minus to be complete.

Minus will never get as big or as popular as Project M. We don't have the developer manpower or the playerbase to expand much more.

It would help if we had a new Showcase video... Minus itself doesn't need to change, but its marketing is nearly nonexistent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I told all my Brawl-playing friends about Minus. Congrats. You now have 4 more people playing Minus. Get hype.
I feel like we would have the manpower to expand both the mod and the team, but many people just play it. They don't write here or tell their friends, they just play. As for the Backroom, either some more people have to join the BR as playtesters (I would, but no Skype) or just make the mod and the beta and everything public again. If that happened, then we could become way more popular than now. Think about it: As of now, neither Minus nor PM fans have much influence on the mod itself. But should the public be able to directly state their thoughts, suggestions and ideas to the BR, I can almost promise you the number of Minus players will increase. Maybe more than PM. Someday.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Minus used to be bigger than PM. Long before I knew about it sadly. I do want things to become public again but I'm not able to allow that myself.

I guess your meaning of right direction is to take away Nair, Dthrow, and buff Fair, and expect Zard to be goodish still.
Take away anything is a bad idea on Zard. Tone down nair's spammablity and sweetspot, tone down dthrow's 90% KO on middleweights. If those worked as intended then Zard could see a small buff to uair which would make him more balanced all around.

Baby_Sneak

i kinda think we just need to play more and be more active. Like, love the game more, do more stuff with it, etc... because, who's doing that right row? i know im not (speaking for myself here), and most people here isn't so, yea. IDK though

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
IDK man, I'm still addicted to Minus. I hope others are too. Unfortunately, only 2 of my friends excluding me are still playing Minus, and one of them plans to quit when they get Smash 4. On the bright side, my other friend still plays Minus even after he got Sm4sh.
So yeah.

NEWB

I'll probably get back into minus when the next patch comes out. Right now, it's not even smash 4s fault I stopped. Blame the awesomeness of hyrule warriors.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I worry that my group will stop Minusing completely once Sm4shU is released. Which is sad because of all that time and effort I put into custom building....I finally feel that I'm done, then everyone stops playing. University has been taxing on us all, leaving us with less time to play.

Thor

I don't have my stuff/online access or I would play more.

I still occasionally play with another member that's not too active on the boards (who has his own setup - since we go to the same college by coincidence, we can play some).

I still want to play it, even with the new game out. Heck, after a tournament I went to where I entered in a fair number of events, someone was like "It's not an event but I have N64" so I played the original for like an hour or so. I just like Smash in general, which extends to Minus (which thankfully isn't just another Melee rip-off - though PM isn't terrible or anything...).

Baby_Sneak

just letting you guys know, I'm sticking to PC minus from now on. my batteries are dead, i dont feel like getting my mom to buy them, i like the keyboard, and i heard it has better online. hope somebody tries it out with me though :(:(:(

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Just do what I did: Get 2 rechargeable batteries for the Wii. And another Wiimote. That way, you can play with one remote while the other one charges and when that one dies, switch. Also can Dolphin users play with Minusers on the Wii?

Baby_Sneak

Just do what I did: Get 2 rechargeable batteries for the Wii. And another Wiimote. That way, you can play with one remote while the other one charges and when that one dies, switch. Also can Dolphin users play with Minusers on the Wii?
Possibly, but it will require extremely specific setups.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Just do what I did: Get 2 rechargeable batteries for the Wii. And another Wiimote. That way, you can play with one remote while the other one charges and when that one dies, switch.
My Wiimote rechargables have lasted me... 4 years I think? I'm just now considering buying a new set since mine are almost dead (won't hold any charge). They were a great investment for sure, and still will be for a while since the WiiU uses Wiimotes.
can Dolphin users play with Minusers on the Wii?
Pretty sure that's not possible. If it is I've never heard of any method to do so.

Thor

A few things:

1.) Why did you remove the I-frames from Dedede's utilt? Those were there in vBrawl (unless of course the Brawl- team buffed them up), but even then, should utilt at least keep its vBrawl I-frames?

2.) Complaints about Falco aside, I don't understand why his fair now has an interrupt - I would think that makes his silly fair chains even easier to do (for reference, here's a video of me vs Sunderstorm where I pull it off, starting at about 21 seconds in - and for the record, I've done longer strings before [usually just one more fair, and usually against heavier characters like Ganondorf], but we play a lot and don't record many [usually one of decides to because we thought there was something cool] so this match (or most of them) are not really representative of how our games play out overall):
3.) Why did ICs get so many buffs? They were already solid, and dair was already scary...

4.) I always thought Ike dtilt was super fast considering how strong it was... do you like side+B to dtilt as is? I wouldn't mind seeing it slown down a bit (then Link's sped up to match it, since Link's is harder to land and probably more situational).

5.) Not that I take issue with them, but I remember you used to talk about how good Peach was, and she got a lot of buffs... hm...

6.) Maybe wasn't added yet, but ROB should have his knockback multipliers adjusted to be way lower so that he is much more of a heavy machine (much harder to KO).

7.) Just a reminder, Sunderstorm (the Falcon main in the video - we go evenish, though the Youtube channel has more of his wins than mine since his are flashy and mine are often just vids of my Falco gimping in style - or I somehow made him salty enough that he doesn't want to post it XD) thinks Falcon Kick shouldn't be jump-cancelable on whiff, only on hit.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
1) Implement some form of crouch-cancelling
Even pro Melee players think CC is fucking retarded. Also part of what I like about this game is that it's like Brawl and 64 put together and given steroids. Yes it would Improve the popularity but it wouldn't improve the game. Sadly :(

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I'd rather have the game improved than more popular. Speaking of which... I need to get back to work on this. Should've been released a long time ago. Gotta get my wii hooked up and I can try some stuff tonight.

Thor

I did say I didn't like most of my own suggestions, didn't I? Sheesh... the rebalancing around CCing would suck anyway.

I was just throwing out options, however unpleasant, that may have achieved what people wanted.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Speaking of what people want, I'm still trying to figure it out. I intend to leave alone the majority of the perfect characters.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
So I've been what I want to call hard at work on this stuff. Just finished a fusion of 2.X.6 Samus and 3.Q Samus with some modifications and I think she feels pretty good. Other than that, expect to see changes for everyone except for Diddy, Pichu, Kirby, Olimar, Squirtle, ROB, Wario, and Yoshi.

Glad I finally got the first step of this out of the way. Now I can hopefully gather feedback and see who needs to be brought up. Will be adding Kirby and ROB soonish. I don't think I'll be changing Diddy or Yoshi as they don't have many if any problems.

Updating the OP. (Mainly for Thor since he never customizes his SD card.)

Bet you thought you'd find a secret in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I did say I didn't like most of my own suggestions, didn't I? Sheesh... the rebalancing around CCing would suck anyway.

I was just throwing out options, however unpleasant, that may have achieved what people wanted.
I understand. The problem with CCing in particular is that it shuts down so many characters' options at low percents.

I also get to play as peach naow Argh yes

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I would place the link in my signature but I don't remember how to edit it. Anyway, I think I'm gonna get some sleep. When you guys get around to reading this I have a bit to say to some of you.

Bent- After testing out Ganon and learning the new stuff about him let me know if you still think he needs safe wp. I tried to download yours earlier and it was a 0 file. I don't even know what that is. I had to give Falcon that 2% nerf. Falcon kick is too good a combo starter to also deal high damage. He might see more nerfs further down the line but they won't be major if he does. Zelda feels really good to me like this. You might not like her but she's deadlier when she needs to be. I know I haven't fixed the issue with her dtilt gfx so don't point that out.

Thor- Assuming you get the chance to test this at all, let me know if Falco's buffs are too much. I felt like he was a bit lacking in his throw game and his smashes all kind of suck outside of his side smash sweetspot. Also, I know I didn't touch on everything Pikachu needs. Fill me in on what he lacks and what makes him good. I don't think he's bottom at all, but these changes just close up some of his weaknesses. You might like this Samus. I may see about getting Power Bombs back but I'm really liking the new Screw Attack. It works wonders out of combos. I was wanting to add a special cancel onto something of hers because I'd like to combo into projectiles, considering the strength of hers though that may not be a good idea.

Darx- Sorry that there aren't any Kirby changes yet, I'm trying to decide the best course of action with him. I know his damage output is ridiculous, and his smashes are on the heavy hitter end of the spectrum. Other than that he has a few things that result in quick kills on anyone (similar to Sonic's dair which was nerfed) I really think if he was lighter weight all of his strengths would be much more easily justified.

Sneak- If you feel that this Charizard is garbo let me know. I will likely disagree with you but I do believe it's possible that I could have gone overboard with nerfs just as I have with buffs in the past. If you want to start coming up with a Squirtle build let me know. Otherwise I'll end up using my own ideas as usual.

Newb- get your brother to play Lucario if you don't mind. I'd like an opinion on DTGC. It's better against defensive opponents because it can't be blocked. Other than that he has a few speed reductions on his spammier moves.

Concept- Pit and Sheik. Tell me the story of your people.

Gold- assuming you see this at all even though you don't play Minus pop it in and test out DK and Samus.