Custom Warlock Punch

How Should the Custom Warlock Punch's Cancel be?

• I.) Complex

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • II.) Simple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • III.) Taunt-Switched Modes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • IV.) Taunt Power Up

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • V.) Taunt Power Down

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • VI.) Taunt Gives Cancel

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • VII.) Aerial Cancel Only

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • VIII.) Taunt-Switched Modes EX

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

I dunno what you mean by "flub" hitboxes... if the duration of the hitbox is the same as on the ground, then I'm sure those are fine - if it actually extends the duration of the move, remove those before it's added/considered more [unless they have the KB/KBG of a Falco ftilt or something].

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Captain Falcon loves to Punch,
Especially offstage!
Now I can't safely do the same...
It makes me seethe with rage

I got a taste of his joy:
My own fearsome flying fist,
How I laughed when it hit!
Now I would die if I missed

I have an on-hit Cancel,
But that's just a cruel joke;
It is much more practical
To F-Air, Wiz Kick, or Choke

Those moves are each impressive,
But they lack majesty and style
My Flying Warlock Punch was bold,
Terrific, amazing, and vile!

The Sages sealed my Signature move,
Now it's near-useless in the Light
Only in the Dark World
Can I still revel in its might

How do I reclaim my former glory?
I have a horrible hunch...
I'll tweak my technique, and call it
"Safe Flying Warlock Punch"

Instead of dropping like a rock,
I won't be self-destructive;
Rising momentum and flub hitboxes
Will be much more disruptive!

Captain Falcon, step aside,
The King of Evil can PAWNCH too;
I will rule the air with flaming fists
At least as well as you!

View attachment 82
That...That was beautiful, man.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I dunno what you mean by "flub" hitboxes... if the duration of the hitbox is the same as on the ground, then I'm sure those are fine - if it actually extends the duration of the move, remove those before it's added/considered more [unless they have the KB/KBG of a Falco ftilt or something].

Bent 00 said:
When you try out the SFWP, go into Training Mode, and set a DK to 50-60% damage. From the edge, F-Tilt him off the stage and go after him with a SFWP. Then try reversing one. The popup and forward momentum make all the difference when it comes to hitting with the flub hitboxes. I added those in because 'Dorf's fist is A.) flying forward at a good speed, and B.) on fire. The flub hitboxes last until the purple flames disappear entirely. I made the flub hitboxes do 20% damage since F-Air does 16%, and it is A.) much faster and easier to land, B.) less predictable, and C.) not on fire. The flub hitboxes are active in frames 72-83. Direction=361, BaseKnockback=10, KockbackGrowth=100.

Thor

Bent 00 said:
*explains flub hitboxes*

Seems reasonable... I'd tone it down to 85 KBG, just because offstage that still sounds like a zero-death, or at least a KO above like 30% when KBG is at 100, but it seems fine otherwise. And you've tested this better than I, so perhaps 85 KGB is peanuts [I wouldn't think so though].

Fair is pretty predictable, but can be hard to avoid. Nice reasoning though.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
After spending a LOT of time playing SFWP 'Dorf, I remain convinced that it's a great change. Suicidal Flying Warlock Punch is not Minus-y.

However, I can see how the Safe Flying Gandouken may be OP. The original "Energy Ball" Gandouken is OP no matter where it's fired from. Why? Well, Kienamaru summed it up well:
It was a combo monster. Using it as an edgeguard would guarantee a spike kill if it connected. You couldn't spot dodge it or roll back. There wasn't much counterplay to it.
Officially, it's getting replaced in 4.0, by a new "Dark Energy Wave" 'Douken, similiar to Zelda's F-Tilt. While this new 'Douken is great, I think it's unfortunate how it takes away most of 'Dorf's incentive to attempt offstage attacks. The Energy Ball 'Douken led into awesome offstage followups. A little too well, but I think that's fixable.

I'm not ready to give up on the Energy Ball 'Douken just yet. I'd like to try Nerfing it instead of replacing it.

Can anyone tell me how to...
- Change the color of the Energy Ball from Yellow to Purple?
- Change the amount of Damage and Knockback these shots inflict?
- Change the Energy Ball from the biggest Super Scope Charge Shot to any of the weaker, Single Charge Shots?
- Change the spot where the Energy Ball appears? As-is, it appears inside of 'Dorf instead of on his fist.

Here's the Gandouken code:

Gandouken [Standardtoaster]
* 4A000000 9105E780
* 14000640 41100000
* 14000644 3F400000
* 4A000000 9105F020
* 1400006C 00000078
* 16000040 0000000C
* 00020000 00020000
* 00020000 00000000
* 14000730 00000073
* 14000704 36431085

But I'm guessing most of the editing would be done with BrawlBox or PSA?

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Can anyone tell me how to...
- Change the color of the Energy Ball from Yellow to Purple?
- Change the amount of Damage and Knockback these shots inflict?
- Change the Energy Ball from the biggest Super Scope Charge Shot to any of the weaker, Single Charge Shots?
- Change the spot where the Energy Ball appears? As-is, it appears inside of 'Dorf instead of on his fist.
First one is a matter of replacing the super scope texture, which is in itemCommonBrres.pac. Open it up in bbox, find the super scope projectile and recolor it purple.
Second one I'm not sure. It's probably part of ItemCommonParam.pac, but I don't know how to find that. It should just be a hex editing thing once you find the super scope parameters similar to changing article properties from article floating points (easiest thing to do is probably search the item file for the damage of a minimum damage and max damage super scope shot).
Third is a difficult gct thing if Ganondorf is spawning item 3E. Otherwise change Ganondorf's item spawn to 3E in psa.
Fourth one is either an unidentified character attribute (unlikely), a module floating point, or changed using some rather complex assembly stuff. Or maybe Peach uses a different item spawn command. In any case check for unusual item commands or attributes in Peach's .pac.

Thor

Offstage Ganondorf projectiles shouldn't happen at all. I'll stand by that. Attempt punches, attempt other aerials, attempt suicidal up+Bs, don't attempt the projectile and comboing into it - that's just stupid.

Also on the record against flub hitboxes. I think it should be all or nothing [though no endlag or else a boost upwards to not die].

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Third is a difficult gct thing if Ganondorf is spawning item 3E. Otherwise change Ganondorf's item spawn to 3E in psa.
I tried changing it from 3D to 3E, but that just made Gandouken not fire at all, unless a Super Scope is held.

Side effect: Gandouken while holding Ray Gun shoots 1 Ray Gun shot.

3C Soccer Ball
3D Superscope
3E Superscope shot
3F Star

Sub Routine 024F20 looks like this normally in Minus:

Generate Item: 0-3D,
1F060100:0-40,
1F0A0000:
Bit Variable Set: RA-Bit[100] = true

What should I try next?

EDIT: Figured out that reducing the highlighted part to 20 results in one of the weaker shots!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
@Mawootad, would you break down how this code works for me?

Gandouken [Standardtoaster]
* 4A000000 9105E780
* 14000640 41100000
* 14000644 3F400000
* 4A000000 9105F020
* 1400006C 00000078
* 16000040 0000000C
* 00020000 00020000
* 00020000 00000000
* 14000730 00000073
* 14000704 36431085

What exactly does it do? Can I edit some part(s) of it to affect Gandouken attributes?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
We were having a decent discussion about suicidal Warlock Punch over in the first dev livestream topic, but Glyph has demanded the topic to be moved here. So here's my latest response to that debate:

I feel obligated to point out one more gaping hole in the "logic" against non-suicidal Flying WP.

The devs keep saying that it should be suicidal because it's a OHKO. But it's practically no more powerful than 'Dorf's other offstage kill moves, since they all result in the same thing -- except FWP is suicidal because (bad) reasons.

'Dorf is never going to get a competent opponent offstage (far enough for a FWP) below the % that his other KO moves kill.

So, basically, WP being a OHKO -- the core excuse why the devs say it must be suicidal -- is meaningless offstage.

'Dorf's other offstage kill moves aren't suicidal, yet they can KO earlier and far more efficiently.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
We were having a decent discussion about suicidal Warlock Punch over in the first dev livestream topic, but Glyph has demanded the topic to be moved here. So here's my latest response to that debate:

I feel obligated to point out one more gaping hole in the "logic" against non-suicidal Flying WP.

The devs keep saying that it should be suicidal because it's a OHKO. But it's practically no more powerful than 'Dorf's other offstage kill moves, since they all result in the same thing -- except FWP is suicidal because (bad) reasons.

'Dorf is never going to get a competent opponent offstage (far enough for a FWP) below the % that his other KO moves kill.

So, basically, WP being a OHKO -- the core excuse why the devs say it must be suicidal -- is meaningless offstage.

'Dorf's other offstage kill moves aren't suicidal, yet they can KO earlier and far more efficiently.
Then why would you go for the FWP in the first place?

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
And you've fully ignored the blatant contradiction I've pointed out multiple times, namely that people state how hard the move is to land, then claim that it would be "too good" when they fail to realize it's totally unreliable - the critical flaw is that the calculation must be risk/reward/reliability, not risk/reward, or else Falcon Punch is the most broken offstage move ever [that would be Falco's dair actually]. You can infract and ban me to your heart's content, but that won't excuse your inability to rectify this inherent inconsistency so many arguments here hold, and why I will still refuse to think the arguments presented hold water.

Holy fucking christ. Nowhere ever have we used the argument that it would be too good. We stated that The reward is too good for the risk, EVEN WHEN TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION RELIABILITY. I have stated, and will state again, in gigantic bold letters for everyone to read;

NON SUICIDAL WP IS NOT A BALANCE PROBLEM, IT GOES AGAINST A DESIGN PHILOSOPHY THAT MOST IF NOT ALL THE TEAM AGREES WITH. I REPEAT, NOT A BALANCE PROBLEM.

Ganon should die if he decides to WP offstage, simply because we're not going to allow the single strongest move in the game to be safe to use offstage without guaranteed repercussions of said action. Minus may be a game where things should be silly, fun, and out of control. But that is no excuse for bad game design. And yes "Bad game design" may be opinion BUT IT IS THE OPINION OF THE DEVELOPERS OF THE GAME. If the developers of any game think something is bad game design, they have every right to think so.

Agree to disagree all you want, but unless the majority of the BR magically change their mind on what they think is bad/good game design, it won't change. That should be the only reason you need. We as the developers disagree with that design notion. Period. There are no reasons/words that exists that will change your opinion. And im sure not trying to. So stop trying to change ours. We see your reasoning, but we disagree. Just like you see ours and disagree.

Continuing this argument is absolutely pointless. What do you expect us to say? "Oh, you guys are right. We were so wrong. Im sorry for ever having a different opinion than you. Here, let me give you whatever you want" Is that what you envision is going to happen? Because im fairly certain that it won't. There is a difference between debating, and bringing something up over and over again that we have already stated we disagree with. In your world, the only outcome to this problem is to change it.

WE shouldn't be forced to fit into YOUR design philosophy. No game team ever does that. A fanbase exists because people like a game, not because the developers do whatever you want. We have shown that we listen to your feedback, we have shown that we are willing to work with the community. We have shown that we Love the community. But we CANNOT make everyone happy. How can we reach an agreement when the only thing people will accept is their way? Reaching an agreement means compromise. But from what i can tell, nobody is willing to compromise. You all are acting like it's either non suicidal all the time or your not happy. That's not compromise. That's wanting to get your way.

But tell me, are those kills guaranteed? No matter the condition? No matter the percent? No matter the opponent's skill? No matter what they try to do, or even if that player is FAR BETTER they will still die? Then stop comparing the moves as if they were. Your referring to the move as if were saying it's a balance problem, when were not. The move can be absolute shit, and we would still disagree with allowing it to be safe offstage without suicide. Because we disagree with the design of that notion at it's core, not it's balance. We do not believe you should be allowed to throw out the strongest, most powerful hitting move in the game, without suffering The most powerful, strongest punishment.

I am entirely over this argument.
We have made our decision, we have given you our reasons. If you disagree, then fine. But don't go acting like your reasons are more valid then ours, because i don't recall saying anything of the sort to you about your reasons. And frankly, feels quite disrespectful imo. Opinions are a thing, and you cannot and SHOULD not expect ours to always match yours. If i get hate for this post, then so be it. I'll be that guy. Im tired of holding my tongue while you all get to question and outright slander our design choices. Someone had to say it. If people want to return to civil discussion rather than telling us how wrong we are, then do it. There is a difference between disagreeing with our choices (which is totally fine, and i respect) and outright calling them bad decisions just because you think yours are better.

The strongest reward deserves the strongest repercussions. That is our decision.

Now before anyone responds to this. I am not directing this towards any specific person. Im posting this as a general response to the behavior I've seen.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
The same reason why Falcon goes for a Flying Falcon Punch: Style.
It is not stylish to jump off stage and throw Warlock Punches praying one will hit.
It is stylish to jump off stage confidently knowing your Warlock Punch is going to hit.

Jumping off and praying it hits when throwing it out without a plan deserves proper punishment (you tried to fish for their instant death? you have instant death instead) due to not having enough skill to calculate if your insane plan would work (since it doesn't most of the time). Your plan working gives you the reward of being able to live.

EDIT: Sammi just said everything I wanted to say and more, I'm just not a huge fan of typing out these essays everyone on these forums seems to have become fond of writing nowadays.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
The same reason why Falcon goes for a Flying Falcon Punch: Style.
Style isn't exactly a reason for risking your life in one suicidal punch. You shouldn't be randomly jumping offstage for a pathetic and suicidal edgeguard when you know that
A. There are much better moves than the one your using for edgeguarding,
B. The attack in question has a really short hitbox on both duration and range, and
C. The attack has tons of startup lag AND YOU KNOW FOR A FACT YOU WILL DIE IF YOU USE IT OFF THE STAGE. It's basically saying, "I can't edgeguard with the most powerful attack in the game LET'S CHANGE THE MOVE SO I DON'T DIE WITH IT".

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Thor said it best, here:
If your opponent is competent, a Ganondorf offstage is a dead one, and the opponent recovering around it should make sure of that.

BUT I don't want to remove that out of the player's hands. If you think they should always be dead, if Ganondorf's recovery is so bad, the player should go out there and kill him for his arrogance in presuming he can warlock punch and return safely. Watching my opponent fall to their death after failing to style is never satisfying, it's just annoying - I want to make them pay in return, not just watch them sort of fall helplessly. Removing the punish game out of my control (now how am I able to style back if he can never make it back?) is lame and I think a very poor design choice.

And punishing it is extremely easy. Versus half the cast, Ganondorf will basically always die to a dair/other meteor [hit him out of his double jump and he's outta there since meteor cancelling won't get him high enough]. You can also 50-50 with him having to uair or get footstooled out of his DJ [also certain death], and you can also hit him out repeatedly with various moves that aren't meteors (it's really easy as Sheik, Luigi, Marth, Mario, Pikachu, Falcon, another dorf, Ike, the list goes on).

But stating that a punishment should always go through is absurd. If your opponent is too incompetent to recover in time to punish a move with over a second and a half of startup [considering our lagless ledges], they don't deserve free punishes encoded by the devs. Make the players earn their punishes, and don't punish them for attempting to utilize moves in ways you wouldn't. That's why the punch was cancellable in the first place - if you couldn't intercept it prior to launch, then you darn well didn't deserve to punish it, at least in Minus where everyone moves demonically fast (or is Bowser and has enough armor to eat through anything Dorf could do after a cancel).

Seems like the team is more interested in trying to make sure the move is never used [or somehow scared of it being used] than they are of making a move fun.

...And at the same time, I'm positive this will just get people to type in big angry words at me that ultimately accomplish nothing.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
If i sounded harsh, i appologize. Im just very, very tired of arguing over this. I get that some people want this, i get it, i really do. But we can't make everyone happy. We don't need to hear the reasons for it over and over and over (and over) again.

I said everything i needed to say. It all comes down to a difference in opinions. Im not downing anyone for their opinion. Im not saying mine is more important. But thats what things come down to. Unfortunately most of the other developers agree with most (or at least some) of what i've said.

In any case:

"Seems like the team is more interested in trying to make sure the move is never used [or somehow scared of it being used] than they are of making a move fun."

This is untrue. And furthermore, i don't care whether or not the move is 'fun'. That's no excuse for trying to pressure us into a design decision we don't agree with.

"Make the players earn their punishes, and don't punish them for attempting to utilize moves in ways you wouldn't."

How about make people own up to their mistakes, not allow people to do something with a move that we don't want to happen. For all the reasons specified, which include our design philosophy. We don't want the strongest move in the game to be thrown out offstage without the strongest consequences.

That's the only reason that matters. It doesn't matter if it never hits ever. It's like saying stealing should be perfectly okay in a perfect world, because nobody steals things in that world. just because nobody steals, doesn't mean stealing is okay. In the same sense, just because it's not broken to survive WP being thrown out offstage, that doesn't mean it's okay for it to happen even once (in accordance with what our design philosophy is). We don't want it to happen.

I swear, all this bickering lately really makes me debate whether or not developing this game is worth it. Seems to me that alot of people only want to criticize our flaws or call out our reasons citing a "Bad leader" or "Bad design choices". Why would i want to keep developing this game when it seems that people just think they can do better? How about some appreciation for what we HAVE done that you liked? Rather than act like were forcing vegetables down your throat or something.

================EDIT================

I shouldn't even have to go this far. We should only have to give you our decision, and IF were nice developers who love their community, give you our reasons for said decision. And we have given them. Numerous times. We shouldn't HAVE to explain ourselves. We made our decisions based on what we think is best, and more importantly, what we think is right/fits with the game that we are developing for YOU. For FREE. In our spare time.

Do you actually have any idea how much work this is? How much time i spend every single day dedicated to bringing this content to you? I have a life, you know. A family. Loved ones who i have had to set aside to do my best for YOU GUYS. People who i would love to spend more time with. So many times have i made the decision to stay home and work, rather than going out with my best friends and living my life. And all i ask, ALL I WANT, is for people to at least respect what i do. I make that decision to spend my time on minus because i want to. Not because im forced to like a JOB.

I don't mind critique, i don't mind differing opinions or disagreements. But at the very least, don't call our reasons "bad". I sure don't say your reasons for wanting it are "bad".

NEWB

It's not that we don't. We just already have at every release we are excited and say that we are happy with it, assuming there isn't a bug that makes it unplayable, in which we say we are happy afterwards.

We just don't get a lot of random new people coming on here and praising you guys.

Thor

If i sounded harsh, i appologize. Im just very, very tired of arguing over this. I get that some people want this, i get it, i really do. But we can't make everyone happy. We don't need to hear the reasons for it over and over and over (and over) again.

I said everything i needed to say. It all comes down to a difference in opinions. Im not downing anyone for their opinion. Im not saying mine is more important. But thats what things come down to. Unfortunately most of the other developers agree with most (or at least some) of what i've said.

In any case:

"Seems like the team is more interested in trying to make sure the move is never used [or somehow scared of it being used] than they are of making a move fun."

This is untrue. And furthermore, i don't care whether or not the move is 'fun'. That's no excuse for trying to pressure us into a design decision we don't agree with.

"Make the players earn their punishes, and don't punish them for attempting to utilize moves in ways you wouldn't."

How about make people own up to their mistakes, not allow people to do something with a move that we don't want to happen. For all the reasons specified, which include our design philosophy. We don't want the strongest move in the game to be thrown out offstage without the strongest consequences.

That's the only reason that matters. It doesn't matter if it never hits ever. It's like saying stealing should be perfectly okay in a perfect world, because nobody steals things in that world. just because nobody steals, doesn't mean stealing is okay. In the same sense, just because it's not broken to survive WP being thrown out offstage, that doesn't mean it's okay for it to happen even once (in accordance with what our design philosophy is). We don't want it to happen.

It's already a mistake to miss - you could have used something that hit [or else you got outplayed if nothing would have hit, the nature of Minus (and Smash) for your opponent predicting you and timing their actions around you].

If you think a whiff should have the strongest consequences, I strongly urge you to simply cause an immediate game loss to any Ganondorf player that whiffs - immediately remove all his stocks and end the game right there. It's the strongest move, should have the strongest consequences.

...But then where is that design philosophy for the dark uppercut [considerably easier to land, especially with the ledges being silly - you can ask Aether how many times I've uppercut him on the ledge], Falco's dair, Sheik's chain, Zelda's distant hitboxes [which protect her up close], Bowser's RR [a free dthrow -> free Koopa Klaw -> free percent from that], or anything else?

You're holding only a single move to this standard. The game isn't balanced around risk/reward as I've said time and again, or these moves would be so much more punishable. They're based on risk/reward/reliability of the whole toolkit [which is why Falco without his dair would be bad, and why Zelda without distant hiboxes would be bad, and Sheik's chain being seldom used allowing it to be better]. The reliability of warlock punch is zero and the risk is already highest in the game even with a cancel [startup lag is far more risky than endlag for long duration moves, since long startup allows opponents to position to punish rather than have to reach a spot to punish after the hitbox], so I fail to see why a reasonably high reward justifies increasing the risk to be even higher than it already is.

This isn't even close to stealing. Stealing is a moral question that is wrong on the basis that harming others is wrong, regardless of the conditions of the world. Unless you think throwing a Warlock Punch offstage is wrong, regardless of the conditions [that is, it hits], then it these two aren't equivalent. If you also removed the OHC and said "Warlock Punch must KO Ganondorf if offstage no matter what", you made the move infinitesimally worse [as an always cancel is infinitesimally better], but at least then you're consistent.

I swear, all this bickering lately really makes me debate whether or not developing this game is worth it. Seems to me that alot of people only want to criticize our flaws or call out our reasons citing a "Bad leader" or "Bad design choices". Why would i want to keep developing this game when it seems that people just think they can do better? How about some appreciation for what we HAVE done that you liked? Rather than act like were forcing vegetables down your throat or something.

================EDIT================

I shouldn't even have to go this far. We should only have to give you our decision, and IF were nice developers who love their community, give you our reasons for said decision. And we have given them. Numerous times. We shouldn't HAVE to explain ourselves. We made our decisions based on what we think is best, and more importantly, what we think is right/fits with the game that we are developing for YOU. For FREE. In our spare time.

Do you actually have any idea how much work this is? How much time i spend every single day dedicated to bringing this content to you? I have a life, you know. A family. Loved ones who i have had to set aside to do my best for YOU GUYS. People who i would love to spend more time with. So many times have i made the decision to stay home and work, rather than going out with my best friends and living my life. And all i ask, ALL I WANT, is for people to at least respect what i do. I make that decision to spend my time on minus because i want to. Not because im forced to like a JOB.

I could list everything you've ever done to Sheik, Falco, Fox (minus my uthrow uair suggestions), Wolf, Pikachu (especially Thunder), Falcon, Luigi, Mario, Wario, Ike, Marth, Snake, Roy, Kirby, Peach, Yoshi, Meta Knight (up to 3.Q at least), and numerous other characters and state everything I like about them. That post would probably take up a whole page by themselves. I can safely say I support over 99% of things as is, and while I might support future changes, I feel in no way that most of the cast is not complete/awesome as is.

It is the nature of suggestions that people focus on what they do not like - we could laud praises over and over again, but that wouldn't take things from "amazing" to "perfect", which is why people focus on negatives. I can start a thread where I say thanks for everything (and it would be quite long), but I'm not sure that's what you're after.

I don't mind critique, i don't mind differing opinions or disagreements. But at the very least, don't call our reasons "bad". I sure don't say your reasons for wanting it are "bad".

Your reasons are bad in as much as they are logically incoherent or at odds with known information. I can use the word "inferior" or "inadequate" or "wrong" if you prefer, but if I said that black people are biologically superior to white people (or vice versa), any reasons I provide would be bad/inferior/inadequate/wrong because they contradict existing knowledge that race is a social construct. Numerous reasons provide in these posts suggest things or make claims that are simply false, or else have internal contradictions, which means I could simply quote what you have argued against yourself to refute a claim [which is a bad thing for the people arguing against the change]. I've noted a few of them already, and while I don't feel like listing them, I can spend time doing so if necessary.

Incidentally, I have spent time practicing throwing non-suicidal Falcon Punches in Melee [still need work on that], and I did the same in Minus with 'Dorf [was easier but worth practicing]. So part of my irritation may be that the effort is now wholly wasted as things stand.

Also, for the record, there's zero way to make a Warlock Punch land confidently [might be the dev's point?], since opponents aren't helpless can use recovery moves the wrong way, can drift away from the punch, and since specials are not fast-fallable [if I remember correctly], they can fastfall around your punch and you can't keep up. I have done this to someone as Falco [side+b away, Firebird win as they died - and I made it back]. At least if one could fastfall the punch they could adjust to the opponent's decision to fastfall or not, but one can't even do that.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Unless you think throwing a Warlock Punch offstage is wrong, regardless of the conditions [that is, it hits], then it these two aren't equivalent.

This is exactly what i have been saying. I believe not dying from offstage WP whiffing is wrong, regardless of condition.

It's as simple as that. Is what your suggesting that were somehow biased towards Ganons WP? Why on god's green earth would we be biased towards Ganon? Im done arguing my points. The bottom line is we don't want offstage instakill WP to be survivable on whiff. The reasons don't matter. I have given them many many times. And so have many others. It's not that our reasons don't hold water, it's that you won't accept them. And that's fine. BUT, we have given them. If it were someone else with an offstage instant kill move, we would treat it the same way.

The devs have made their decision, and even if our reason was "Because we say so" it should suffice. We develop this game the way we want. It's our work. We, the developers who put in the work, have the right to make the game how we want. Just like you have the right to complain about it.

Numerous reasons provide in these posts suggest things or make claims that are simply false, or else have internal contradictions, which means I could simply quote what you have argued against yourself to refute a claim [which is a bad thing for the people arguing against the change]. I've noted a few of them already, and while I don't feel like listing them, I can spend time doing so if necessary.

Go ahead and list them, and explain how they are contradictory or false. I haven't said anything contradictory whatsoever.

con·tra·dic·to·ry
ˌkäntrəˈdikt(ə)rē/
adjective
adjective: contradictory
  1. 1.
    mutually opposed or inconsistent.
    "the two attitudes are contradictory"
    synonyms: opposed, in opposition, opposite, antithetical, contrary, contrasting,conflicting, at variance, at odds, opposing, clashing, divergent,discrepant, different;
    • containing elements which are inconsistent or in conflict.
      "the committee rejected the policy as too vague and internally contradictory"
    • (of two propositions) so related that one and only one must be true

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
I actually really like the last new idea, VIII with the stun, because iirc, the noise it made in melee was based on his dark void thing in OOT at the beginning... i always thought it would be cool if the gandouken looked like it, but that it wouldn't be as good since the current gandouken (almost) represents the ball he threw at link during the "tennis" fight...

However, this new idea for a stun could use that animation and the dark wave graphic and just stun foes in front of him with a wind up to it similar to the one he has now for his WP, except maybe not as long... also, it would be cool if this could absorb or reflect projectiles, maybe with a little shorter stun in return...

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
We can all post big pictures to sound more important Doq :/ you're not providing ANY counter argument here, just saying "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.