Brawl Minus 3.Q is all Qued up and ready to go!

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Maybe. I don't have anything changed for it, and it still desyncs.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom

Thor

But people can turn off tap jump while the other guy tap jumps and it doesn't desync... I thought?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Anyone want to test this with me tomorrow (Friday)?

Part 1.) Test Match with same New Footstool Triggers. Does it cause a desync?

Part 2.) Test Match with different New Footstool Triggers. Does it cause a desync?

PowerUp

Oh, this is too good. I leave for a few days, and come back to pure gold. I don't have time to sort through it all right now, but stay tuned...

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
I'm not sure why this 'rob is so hard and has good matchups against everyone' mentality is even still around, just look at Darx who damn near beat me in a tourney set using Kirby.

Frankly its a moot point to even try and discuss matchups save for some more obvious ones at this point since so few of our characters have been played to their full potential, if any at all. Player skill will always always always trump matchups. Falco/ROB is hard, but not unwinnable. Same thing for every matchup in this game. There's no hard counters (to my knowledge) in minus at all.
puff squirtle is very hard for puff. Like impossible almost. Not unwinnable but i cri evry tim

knives

Pichu vs most characters. I think.
Is there a good Pichu around here? I would love to see some quality Pichu vids.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Speaking of codes wrecking things. Ever since the footstool code has been added it seems like footstooling desyncs wifi. Anyone else notice that?
It pains me to confiirm that using New Footstool Triggers online does indeed cause desynches.

I suspect it's because the New FS Triggers are hard-coded to LOCAL controllers, but not to the controls of online opponents. It appears that you can use New Trigger Footstools just fine on your end, but they are not registering on your opponent's end. If your opponent uses a New Trigger Footstool, it will look like it worked on his side, but on your side the game translates the button press into its usual function.

@Glitch: Can you think of a way to fix this problem? If it can't work online, can we add codes that disable New Footstool Triggers in Online play, but allow them to be used offline?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Well Bent, I was footstooling with the normal input and it still desyncs so long as the code is active.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I bet one of the Project M coders could help with that.

Ideally, New (Safe) Footstools would be tied to any "Up Taunt" input, rather than being hard-coded to specific buttons; I think the code might work online if it were made that way.

PowerUp

The topic has changed Power. Let it be.

Nope! Doesn't work that way. If you talk shit, you get called out.

Newb, I've faced and defeated Power more times than he's beaten me. I'm aware that he isn't a bad player. But evidently beating him will prove something to him somehow, though I don't have anything in particular that I'd like to prove.

giphy.gif

Kien...I don't think I even have to make the case that you're an average player here at best. By all means though, let's record a few sets just to set the record straight. By the way, beating me in the matchups I am contending would prove that you that you actually know what you are talking about, and are not a complete keyboard warrior.

I mean, I gave him the okay to give me his dream balancing and I was going to make that happen. If that makes me self-serving well...

Speaking of which!

*Lots of bitching and whining*

Let's talk about character design.

Oh this oughtta be good.

What makes a character work? What makes a character good? What makes a character bad? Do you even know what that means? I don't think you do, but somehow you seem to know that someone knows more than I do without ever asking me what I know. So let me break it down a bit for you so you can know what it takes to code a character into Minus.

We develop a core of the character, what they're centered around. We give them a few strengths and weaknesses intentionally at a base level. We don't want any characters who are good at everything because those characters become S tier and unbeatable in most matchups. So on a core level you should know right offhand, what a character's playstyle revolves around, what they're good against and how to defeat them. Will they be a heavy hitter with a focus on strong laggy moves or a combo monster who deals low damage and relies on specific finishers to KO? Maybe they're a blend of both? If so, how do you bring them down? What makes this character beatable, and how do you excel with them if you decide to play as them? Just having a core is obviously not enough though, you have to make the character's core something that can function properly against other characters without being seen as unfair or unfun. It shouldn't be overwhelming or barely noticeable.

how_could_this_face_lie_to_you.jpg

Are we talking about the same game, or are you just so lousy at what you do that I can't tell if you're being serious or not here. Do I have to bring up ROB, FALCO, ZELDA, AND FRIENDS yet again, who are all without an exploitable weakness, but you, PUTZ, are buffing your main instead of fixing these guys. Yes, that makes you self-serving. This is why I say you need to prove yourself in-game. You don't know what makes a "weakness" exploitable, or how things like movement options and range affect matchups. You think LINK needs better boxing. So, if you get rid of Link's supposed weakness (his boxing wasn't bad to begin with), what is his "carefully designed" weakness? Do I really have to make the case that you are totally clueless to anyone else here?

An example of an underwhelming character core would be in my opinion someone like Pikachu. He's average in pretty much every area, though he has one move he can spam to play keep away, he doesn't have anything that stands out as his own. Good examples of an overwhelming theme would be someone like ROB or Lucario. ROB being a supposed zoner excels in every area, damage output, knockback, combos etc, and his extremely potent projectile game is just icing on his top tier cake. He can only be realistically shut down by counter picks and projectile spam as he doesn't have enough lag to punish attacks on whiff majority of the time. When it takes someone who mains the character to tell you their weakness, that means you have an issue, and when that weakness can't be exploited by the majority of the cast it means you have an even bigger issue because you now have an unfightable character.

Maybe you should watch the Darx vs Glyph from the tournament. You know, the one where you got sent to the losers bracket in the second round, before eventually getting knocked out by Glyph (lol). Dark pretty much dominates his ROB for 2/3 matches, only losing due to a few very bad plays. It's really impressive. His smart variety of combos and strong finishers says more than any of your ridiculous text walls.

ROB isn't "unfightable" (and Lucario is now far from it). You can get your shots in with any character; he'll just pull ahead with a well place nair or laser gimp sooner or later. The reason ROB is unbalanced is the same reason Zelda is unbalanced, which you have demonstrated time and time again that you don't understand - CONTROL. ROB and Zelda completely control the pace of the match. If they want to camp, they will camp successfully. If they want to approach, they will approach with a safe attack. It's not just a matter of being hard to punish, they are also hard to approach, hard to gimp, hard to whatever. Where is the weakness? You tried to balance ROB by getting rid of his second gyro!

tumblr_mryxhblD0p1sq4cg2o1_500.gif

So here's the deal, bronie.

1) I'm taking you up on your "dream build" offer, and I'm going to show you how someone who actually knows a damn thing about game development does balance so that you can learn. I'm busy right now, but keep an eye out for a thread in about two weeks.

2) I'm challenging you to a super set. This is your chance to back your words up and prove that you actually understand how the cast works. Rules:
  • 4 stock
  • All neutral and CP stages are available
  • Each set in the super set is best of 5
  • You may not change characters mid-set
  • There will be 1 set for each character slot. You may not play the same character twice in the super set.
All sets will be posted for the community's viewing pleasure.

Baby_Sneak

One of my problems recently with this mod is it feels dry for a "broken beyound belief" smash game. There seems to be that design (creating incredible char designs with multiple options (Zard, D3, Zelda, Pichu, GnW, Ganon, and some other chars all lack the ability to mix up their playstyle and use a whole bunch of options), making each move go with the design really well, hitboxes being in the right places, is too far down the priority list.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Nope! Doesn't work that way. If you talk shit, you get called out.
That's why I had to call you out.

Are we talking about the same game, or are you just so lousy at what you do that I can't tell if you're being serious or not here. Do I have to bring up ROB, FALCO, ZELDA, AND FRIENDS yet again, who are all without an exploitable weakness, but you, PUTZ, are buffing your main instead of fixing these guys. Yes, that makes you self-serving. This is why I say you need to prove yourself in-game. You don't know what makes a "weakness" exploitable, or how things like movement options and range affect matchups. You think LINK needs better boxing. So, if you get rid of Link's supposed weakness (his boxing wasn't bad to begin with), what is his "carefully designed" weakness? Do I really have to make the case that you are totally clueless to anyone else here?

Uh... I wasn't allowed to balance ROB as I wanted. I'm still fighting for his balancing. Falco hsn't proven to be as problematic as you say. I can shut down who is supposedly the best Falco here with multiple characters that he naturally counters. (Unless he's gotten better) And you don't know Link's weakness, you evidently didn't main him in Vbrawl. First and foremost, reflector characters obliterate him. He's easy to gimp as his only viable recovery option is spin attack and if he gets hit out of that he has to do another one, but he gains no horizontal distance. So that's a stock. Then there comes Link being midheavy weight and DI dependent on survival. He gets juggled almost as bad as the heavies without perfect DI, he falls fast so characters who meteor have an advantage right there. His movespeed is slow so screw spacing yourself without sending them away and he can't aim his projectiles outside of rang. People with good approach and fast melees dominate him. A 4 frame jab (3.Q Link) is still slower than half the cast which in minus consists of 1-3 framers. Anyway anyway anyway.

Maybe you should watch the Darx vs Glyph from the tournament. You know, the one where you got sent to the losers bracket in the second round, before eventually getting knocked out by Glyph (lol). Dark pretty much dominates his ROB for 2/3 matches, only losing due to a few very bad plays. It's really impressive. His smart variety of combos and strong finishers says more than any of your ridiculous text walls.

Well Kirby has a full arsenal of low risk high reward high damage true combos and fast disjointed high damage kill moves which means you aren't likely to clang with him and you're NEVER going to outprioritize him. There are some characters who don't have that large a variety of combos to attempt, and you'd do well to realize that. Over half of his moveset either cancels safely or ends before frame 25 which is barely giving the hitbox time to terminate.

ROB isn't "unfightable" (and Lucario is now far from it). You can get your shots in with any character; he'll just pull ahead with a well place nair or laser gimp sooner or later. The reason ROB is unbalanced is the same reason Zelda is unbalanced, which you have demonstrated time and time again that you don't understand - CONTROL. ROB and Zelda completely control the pace of the match. If they want to camp, they will camp successfully. If they want to approach, they will approach with a safe attack. It's not just a matter of being hard to punish, they are also hard to approach, hard to gimp, hard to whatever. Where is the weakness? You tried to balance ROB by getting rid of his second gyro!

Lucario is someone I balanced by the way... and Zelda evidently gives you the blues. I learned how to fight her mid match, and yes it was difficult, but I never fight Zeldas. The problem with ROB is that he has the ability to pull ahead in any matchup depending on how he plays. He can even shut down Falco if he doesn't use any projectiles. With a bunch of high damage aerials and fair dealing 10% and chaining, he can actually line up guaranteed laser kills even on him. If not, while falling he can laser and the reflect won't even aim back at him.

So here's the deal, bronie.

1) I'm taking you up on your "dream build" offer, and I'm going to show you how someone who actually knows a damn thing about game development does balance so that you can learn. I'm busy right now, but keep an eye out for a thread in about two weeks.

2) I'm challenging you to a super set. This is your chance to back your words up and prove that you actually understand how the cast works. Rules:
  • 4 stock
  • All neutral and CP stages are available
  • Each set in the super set is best of 5
  • You may not change characters mid-set
  • There will be 1 set for each character slot. You may not play the same character twice in the super set.
All sets will be posted for the community's viewing pleasure.

So, I have to prove the untrue, in that beating someone proves game balance. YES. Are we using 3.Q because I deleted 3.5 after losing the tourney? I didn't say I understand how the cast works. I state to understand the people who I code. Which is somehow hard for you to understand.

NEWB

lol

Beating someone else in a game proves knowledge of game balance OBViOUSLY.

Also, I agree with sneak. Characters like game and watch aren't bad, just not as fun to play say since they can't deviate from a single playstyle.