Brawl Minus 3.Q is all Qued up and ready to go!

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
A good pit doesn't allow that situation

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I'll miss due to spotdodge occasionally.
As far as being too far away, I've made some miscalculations in my time, but this is rare.
What's more common is being the maximum distance away, and the opponent backrolls out of my range.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
If I was that close to you and the propulsion of the attack made me whiz right by you.

Thor

I think the best thing to do to angel ring is make it a fixed distance of travel with less range than it currently has access to. Out of a run, he can pretty much cover half of FD with it, and because it's fast, it is almost always a surprise. I don't think it needs to have anything else touched (except MAYBE remove the shield cancel so he dedicates to it kinda), but the distance gain is too much for a free grab. You can SDI all you want, but all he has to do is grab sooner, and if you shield it, you're basically locked in your shield until he grabs you.

In-shield-smash-directional-influence is a thing, and with Pit's Angel Ring hitting that fast, it's very easy (takes fast reflexes but it's actually super easy because there's no roll risk, unlike with some ISSDI where you input it too late and just roll). You can also ISSDI out of range or through him if he's moving fast. Yeah if he times right you're getting grabbed, but that's kind of the point (and this assumes one didn't just jump it, which is the best option).

I wouldn't mind seeing it be always a fixed distance equal to his current standing one - Marth got the same treatment for his angled f-smash, so it's consistent with other changes.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Isn't Angel Ring > Grab basically Flame Choke, but... better?

NEWB

If we are comparing grounded flame choke and angel ring, angel is certainly better because the shield cancel and angel ring is more consistent. Grounded flame choke does not true combo if you tech, which is easier to do than hope the pit doesn't time his grab correctly. So yeah, pits is better in all regards.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Angel Ring is better because you have more speed and faster start up, as well as more distance. Not only that, but Flame Choke is just what it is, where the grab out of Angel Ring is literally just that, a grab. AR allows 4 different throws or pummeling, and Flame Choke doesn't. While FC can be teched, it isn't bad by any means, because good reads lead to follow up attacks or more FCs. Fixed distance on AR keeps it under control while maintaining its utility, and I honestly think that's the best path to take with it, considering how good Pit's kit is overall.

Thor

Totally different topic, but important.

I realize the shield-pushback change that I may have caused by complaining about Kirby's fsmash being unshieldgrabbable caused a negative consequence - now some dash attacks, when properly spaced, aren't shieldgrabbable. Easy examples are Sheik and Samus dash attack. I think dash attacks are what should be shieldgrabbable instead of fsmashes - one is charging up to smash at them with massive power, the other is rushing in [blindly, almost] and attack, where one then would deserve to get blocked and grabbed. Could this gameplay change be reverted?

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Could this gameplay change be reverted?
Shield pushback can be adjusted per move if I recall right... If certain moves are problematic (not enough risk for perceived reward), then I think editing the attacks instead of the core mechanic would be better, assuming the mechanic change itself isn't flawed.

Thor

Yeah... Samus's dash attack was always pretty good, but now it ends up behind the defender, so it's not shieldgrabbable at point-blank range - similarly, Sheik's dash attack often ends behind the defender, meaning it can't be shieldgrabbed.

NEWB

Is minus fd different from brawl fd? I want to use the smash 4 like fd texture on brawl vault and I'm not sure if it will desynch.

NEWB

Bummer... It said it had a brawl version though.

Does anyone here know how to apply it to our fd or should I just ask the guy?

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Is minus fd different from brawl fd? I want to use the smash 4 like fd texture on brawl vault and I'm not sure if it will desynch.
The only difference for Minus' FD is the collision data.
It will. The Smash 4 FD is over PM's FD.
If that's the case, then you could just import Minus' ModelData100, collisions, and STPM (the camera) into this new FD, and it should work without desynching... I think?

Is minus ever gonna get their own custom fd and battlefield? We really should.
Like how PM has their own FD? That depends. What would it even be? PM's was a no-brainer, because it's just Melee's platform with some texture swapping for the BG. I guess a Minus one would need to be completely original, or a more extreme version of Brawl's... but I'm not really sure what that would look like.
If you have ideas though, be sure to share em.

For the sake of keeping things clean though, I'd suggest continuing this FD discussion in the stage thread.

Thor

Also, for the record, I would support ZSS dsmash being reverted to vBrawl status, because in my opinion it's better as it was in vBrawl than it is in 3.Q - I think that dsmash should be safe on shield and link 3 times, which it did in vBrawl and doesn't in Minus.

I also still want a powerup taunt where ZSS either transforms into Samus (if the R button is held down, like with Samus's powerup taunt), or else where ZSS spawns a single armor piece on the floor (or 3 if that's much easier to code) [this would allow a player to switch between ZSS and Samus mid-match without a final smash].

Thor

Double post but my idea above has a like and this is completely different so I'll post it in a different post:

I've heard utilt is getting fixed because the new one has no combos and dsmash may be getting reverted. What if we revert utilt, but not dsmash? I know he already does have a lot of mixups, but imagine someone trying to spotdodge dsmash... only to get clobbered by utilt? Or you use an uncharged dsmash to make your opponent spotdodge, roll, or airdodge from halfway across stage. I think it would be hilarious to give Ganondorf two moves that have visually similar startups, but drastically different results. Anybody else like this idea, or is it just me?