An Open Letter to Pin Clock

Does Brawl Minus need new management? Please read the whole thread before voting!

• Pin needs to step down.

• Pin doesn't need to step down.

• I don't care. This is pointless haterade fueled drama.

• Neutral Response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

NEWB

Seems like a good idea to me. But only if the BR is divided. There needs to be a BR and their needs to be some space between us but it would make sense to me if the community could be the tie breaker. Even if not the community there NEEDS to be some kind of tie breaker.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I don't care if Pin leaves anymore but I do want to see a change in the way the br is run or how it interacts with non-backroomers in the future. The ideology of "backroom discussions should stay in the br" doesn't sit well with me. I feel like, if you guys vote on something and it's a tie or it's close enough to give you guys doubts, you guys should come to the community for ideas. If the idea is positive, you guys should try and implement it and if it doesn't work say it doesn't and explain why. You guys should also have a community manager who isn't on the dev team because I don't think it's fair that Pin should censor watch what he says.
Think of it as the time when Brawl was close to release and a video accidentally showing Ness, Jiggs, and Lucario. The natural response would be to remove any evidence of it right away, which happened. Same with Sm4sh when a video accidentally revealed Ganon. Some things just aren't supposed to slip, and that happened with the Venus Lighthouse Incident. The discussion was supposed to be entirely internal.

That being said there have been several occasions where we have directly come to the community for ideas and thoughts (Maw's thread on water, for example), and there will be many more after this mess has been sorted out.

As for the community manager, that's not a bad idea, and certainly something else we will look into in the near future. Some sort of middleman between us in the BR and everyone on the forums would be great!

I tried to be like a community manager and got hell for it. Look at me now, nearly banned from the website for harassment. People sure are scared to come out and say things to the faces of others, aren't they? If someone was harassing me I'd be like, dude... your best interest would be in leaving me alone.
Not everyone handles this kind of thing the same way. This was a response you making the poll seeing who voted for what being made public (which I have since changed to have all votes be anonymous) and pressuring those who voted for me to not step down, which is not exactly fair game.

Last edited by a moderator:

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
@Pin Clock can you post a quote from the anonymous source and just remove the name?.. at least to help us understand what peoples' opinions are?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
This was a forum conversation with them:

Anonymous: Why does the poll show who voted for what?
Me: It did? Jeez lemme see if I can fix that. Votes are supposed to be anonymous, and they were last time I checked.
Me: Fixed, no clue how it got like that in the first place since I never touched that function. Maybe Kien made it like that.
Anonymous: I was curious cause he (Kien) texted me about it. I'm stuck as a neutral vote to avoid further conflict.
Me: Kien pressuring voters is really, really, low. Feel free to stay neutral, but it's just upsetting to see what this whole thing has come to...
Anonymous: Believe me, I know.
Me: I sent Kien a forum warning about the manner, and kept you anonymous, to make sure it doesn't happen again and he pressures people in his favor. That's kinda cheating.
Anonymous: I didn't even know it was publicly visible. Even I could read who voted for what.
Me: Thankfully, once this setting is disabled, it cannot be enabled again. All remaining votes will be anonymous.
Anonymous: Good. It isn't right that anyone can see who decided what.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Okay so let me get this straight....

I text someone asking them a question as to why someone votes what they voted.

You assume that I'm pressuring voters.

Therefore I'm automatically pressuring voters?

You realize that THAT is utter bullshit right? I don't care to see the votes, but you can't say that I was pressuring people to oppose you by asking them why they made the choices that they made.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Okay so let me get this straight....

I text someone asking them a question as to why someone votes what they voted.

You assume that I'm pressuring voters.

Therefore I'm automatically pressuring voters?

You realize that THAT is utter bullshit right? I don't care to see the votes, but you can't say that I was pressuring people to oppose you by asking them why they made the choices that they made.
Their reason for what they voted for is really none of your business. It's their choice and their right to decide, regardless of what you and I think, so when it comes to why they voted for who or what it's our duty to stay out of it.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
When said person is one of my close friends in matters much more important than this debate, I think it's fair for me to ask why they would choose anything. Did you even consider that it wasn't harassment? Did the thought not occur to you that he was asking you a question? Because it looked like a question to me, not a request for you to abuse your power yet again.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
thank you at least for posting that Pin Clock... from what I read it doesn't seem like they were feeling harassed by Kien from this excerpt, rather they felt a breach of trust because their vote wasn't anonymous, but I could be reading out of context if you left out more to keep the person anonymous...

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
When said person is one of my close friends in matters much more important than this debate, I think it's fair for me to ask why they would choose anything. Did you even consider that it wasn't harassment? Did the thought not occur to you that he was asking you a question? Because it looked like a question to me, not a request for you to abuse your power yet again.
To me it sounded like a question of why people could see votes, and a request for me to disable that function for this thread.

As the results showed it was.

Fivavoa

Uwaaaaa~~!
Playtester
i'd think that since it's the admins that are being pressured here, who sees who voted what shouldn't matter because everyone in question has the ability to view it anyway

either way, with a community this small, is really voting on something of such huge importance such an embarrassment to who or why they feel that way that they have to feel insecure about their "decision"?
that makes the whole polling process a hoax from every single aspect if people can't be assured of their decision

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
To me it sounded like a question of why people could see votes, and a request for me to disable that function for this thread.

As the results showed it was.

And because of a text message I sent from my phone to my friend's phone, you thought it was okay to remove my rights, and threaten to ban me for harassment. You're an awesome admin Pin.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
And because of a text message I sent from my phone to my friend's phone, you thought it was okay to remove my rights, and threaten to ban me for harassment. You're an awesome admin Pin.
He stated he didn't want any more involvement when you tried to question him on the matter, and realizing this could lead to other similar issues I granted his request of disabling seeing who voted for what on the poll. I granted someone who requested privacy privacy, and I see nothing wrong in that.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
This pointless bickering is really starting to irritate me. If this thread becomes nothing more than shitflinging, I will move to lock it from new replies for a while. Not to prevent discussion, but to promote people bringing in constructive discussion rather then trying to slander and spit on each other. PLEASE, keep it civil. I have no qualms with people discussing this and trying to bring change. I. do. not. care. whose. side. your. on. I just want things to be civil. This goes for everyone, including pin and kien. If i do lock it, it will be unlocked after about an hour. And of course, people can still vote iirc.

People should have been anonymous in their votes. Nobody should be able to see who chose what, as it leads to people forming opinions about people for their choice, and possibly resentment. This has been expressed from multiple users. Changing that is not abusing power. The votes are still cast, and it's the numbers that matter.

Regardless of what reasoning, even good hearted, it's a conflict of interest to be involved in the voting of others. If people know that you want people to vote against pin, they'll feel pressured to do so even if you don't say anything of the like or act like it. Furthermore, above all else, the person in question seemed to be concerned about the privacy of their vote.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I wouldn't call this shitflinging. I would call this misinterpretation of a conversation. You do NOT sanction someone without full reasoning that what you are doing is the proper course of action. In this situation, the only thing done should've been the removal of vote visibility.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
So do I but I don't know how to PSA. ;~;
As part of the new PR stuff we'll be orchestrating, i'll likely be doing PSA videos and/or livestreams where i can answer people's questions and teach them. This goes for more than just PSA as well, as i'll be likely doing dev blogs on other things

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
As part of the new PR stuff we'll be orchestrating, i'll likely be doing PSA videos and/or livestreams where i can answer people's questions and teach them. This goes for more than just PSA as well, as i'll be likely doing dev blogs on other things
That's something to look forward to.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Has anything changed?
It's my honest question.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Has anything changed?
It's my honest question.

Changed in what way? I've not been too sure of your stance on this.

Also, this is now my permanent account since Kienamaru had a host of issues after being deleted.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Has anything changed?
It's my honest question.
Well, to be completely honest quite a few things have changed internally. If anything, it allowed us to speak our minds to pin about things we like and dislike. Overall, it seems people inside the BR are alot more comfortable. And of course talking about our concerns have helped pin to better handle his problem of shooting down ideas. Constructive complaining is what i call it lol