An Open Letter to Pin Clock

Does Brawl Minus need new management? Please read the whole thread before voting!

• Pin needs to step down.

• Pin doesn't need to step down.

• I don't care. This is pointless haterade fueled drama.

• Neutral Response.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Who remembers the days back when Minus used to actually give to the community? The days where the developers had their own ideas, but didn't place themselves above those who we were developing for. The days BEFORE Pin Clock was project lead. These are the days that I with the help of others intend to bring back. Ever since MAXIMUM was released and development of 3.3 began, the game has been drifting further away from what most people have come to know and love. There has been a stream of bad decisions coming with every release since. Everything from the initially botched release of 3.3 to the release of 3.Q which somehow forgot to include the Wifi Code. Blatantly overpowered characters have remained imbalanced, fan favorite stages have been removed and replaced with levels that offer little to no variety than what is already on the list, toxic moves and mechanics have been left to sit for the sake of "not forcing the players to relearn a part of their favorite character." In that same light, the argument for not balancing our roster for team play has been that we have no team meta. When the real reason we have no team meta is because we haven't taken the time to make builds that work well in team play.

Minus needs a new direction. It used to be a game about interesting mechanics, unique characters, and crazy unexpected combos that practically every character could perform. This led to an amazing experience that was unrivaled in my eyes and likely in the eyes of many others. As of late, there has been a stronger focus on competitive play. This isn't a bad thing on its own, but when you have a leader who is afraid to tone things down that need toning down, you wind up with a roster full of characters who are generally on the same level in basic play. When that evolves into higher level play, you end up with a small portion of characters who have nearly unbeatable advantages over 80% of the cast. Can this be changed? Yes. Will it be changed when you have someone who mains those characters and refuses to see them toned down? No. Why is it, that Lucario, ROB, and Dedede remained unchecked for so long? Instead of receiving the one time nerfs that they could've had long ago, they were constantly being mininerfed over multiple releases. However, these nerfs were only targeting excess power instead of hitting core elements until 3.Q. Not because we didn't already have highly skilled players telling us ways to fix these problems, but because we couldn't get the go ahead from our "leader." ROB had an abundance of powerful projectiles that he could fire in quick succession as well as the speed to capitalize on any openings he created with them from anywhere on the stage. His crazy combo game and good at everything design put him so far above the rest of the roster that he can only be fought one way if you want to beat him. Lucario on the other hand has many advantages above nearly the entire roster. High speed, moves that combo into themselves and eventually KO, easy setups, low endlag on his attacks, grabs that true combo into KO moves, a true spike that can combat ledge games, a strong projectile, one of the safest counters in the game which is safe on whiff or shield, and a jab combo that true combos into a special grab move capable of KOing practically anyone except Bowser from 60% or higher.

To make a good fighting game you should know what the people want out of it. Don't go into it with the mindset that you know best, or that there is only one way for things. In Brawl Minus, we know that fun is important. But if we're wanting to have a competitive scene then we need a stronger focus on balanced gameplay, not give every character a really hard to learn but easy to master combo that all but guarantees a stock. This isn't to say that the characters all need to be toned down to any certain level, but things like 0-death combos are not fun to be a part of, and they aren't particularly fun to perform. They shouldn't be possible to pull off unless your opponent DIs into it giving you so many hits. Small flaws like chaingrabs or inescapable hitconfirms that always lead into "given" combos are not appealing to watch. Having hitstun so high that other characters can take advantage of it far more than others isn't good design. Making sure that every single move has to be "better than Vbrawl" is horribly flawed and doesn't allow as much technical freedom in balancing a character either. After adding in the new tools that makes the character Minused, their old moves may actually not need changing at all because of how it now affects their kit. There are things like this that lead to extremely polarizing matchups. Overuse of character specific mechanics, or bad mechanics in general can force characters to be played a certain way in order to be effective. In fewer words, there's a fine line between flashy appeal, and over the top one sided mechanics.

Fear of change has been holding Minus back for a long time now. Infrequent releases wouldn't be problematic if the content was actually made to appeal to the player base and if that content was substantial given the amount of time that the players were waiting for it. However, we've seen more and more that Pin Clock is unwilling to take risks and listen to the community. Unwilling to experiment. Unwilling to do whatever it takes to create the most enjoyable experience for the largest amount of the vocal population. Without experimentation, MAX would have never happened and we'd all still be playing 2.X.6. This unwillingness to cooperate goes beyond the community, it stretches into the BR as well where idea after idea has been turned down so often that conflict arises whenever the thought of "change" is brought up. At first it doesn't seem like a problem. It seems like firm leadership. Someone has to say no sometimes, right? That much is obvious. The difference between firm leadership and disrespectful dictatorship lies in shutting down what your team has to say without even listening. When you have a multitude of people leaving your team due to your stubbornness and bad decisions, it's time to evaluate the situation. When you find yourself in heated arguments and spewing profanity and insults, there has to be a problem. When you have those who will actually follow you only speaking when you ask them to, and NOT voicing their opinions because they feel it would be a waste of time to even try, it's time you consider what you might be doing wrong. It could be that the team has different ideals of what the project should be, but as a leader it is your job to discuss what everyone wishes to see from the project, and to unify those ideals to create one cohesive project.

Projects like Brawl Minus aren't meant to be headed by a single individual. Selfish and stubborn people aren't the best leaders to have for team based projects either. Separating the backroom from the community with little to no word of what is going on is not keeping in touch with your players want. Giving someone who would remove the rights of someone who simply wants to share a bit of backroom discussion isn't fit for someone claiming to be a leader. I've had my threads deleted, my ability to send private messages locked, and my account has been recently deleted. If I had been okay with all of that up until now, the account deletion alone is proof enough that Pin Clock abuses his powers.

As the minus community, we have a voice. We may not be many, but we have the power to shape this mod into what we see fit. We can support it, or we can reject it. Most of us know what we want from Minus. We want a fun game that offers an experience that we can't get from any other mods. While some of us don't care for balance and would prefer individuality of our stages and characters, there is no reason that we cannot have both. The people who care for balance will request balance, those who care for stages will request stage changes, and those who just want a fun experience will be content with getting both sides of the spectrum. There are still players who prefer to play individual versions over the most recent one, and if we are to change that, we must take the best from all worlds, and unite to make our vision a reality.

Signed,
The ex BR member who did a hell of a lot of work for 2 years only to be turned down from rejoining the BR for saying what no one else would and for wanting a fair compromise.
I don't think the people can really decide based upon hearing one side of the situation, so I feel as if it's only natural that I provide my side of the story as well.

It's story time, so I shall tell you a dev room's tale of Brawl Minus' development

Most of this will be building based upon facts that Sammi has already established, such as Kien bringing personal manners into game development that do not belong in game development, amongst other things.

Back when Moo added me to the Brawl Minus team in the times before 2.x.6 was released, I had only desires to to do my part the the best Brawl Minus that could be released would be released, and always wanted to further development and push the envelope further and further each update of beta. For example, when the beta started to slack, it was my idea to push The Storm Update, and develop a system that everyone wouldn't feel rushed every wednesday-friday by pushing out a few small beta updates and follow those by one large one. This system worked well for developers and myself when I was testing, and everything went pretty much swimmingly until MAX came out, after which point we all congratulated each other for our work and Minus, being "Maximized" was considered done.

Then time passed and the community began to have issues with certain aspects of MAX, which made me want to give the community a Valentine's gift in rebalancing Minus to be more enjoyable for everyone. When I proposed it to Moo, he liked the idea, but said that he was too busy with life to direct it, and passed the duty on to me and that's pretty much how I started to direct Minus. The word "Leader" is simple and more to the point of the role, but really I simply oversee all development and proposals.

So what went wrong?

There were disagreements on how things should be balanced that started off as debates and turned into arguments. I'm not going to name any specific instances (R.O.B.), but it was all rough and no one could come to terms on how things should be handled. And it wasn't just between Kien and I. Sammi, Glyph, Gold, Mech, Tybis, and anyone else not mentioned, everyone had their own views on what was "not nerfed enough" and "nerfed too much". Our goal of providing balance was vague as we never knew where the fine line was. Then it got nasty and personal. People started accusing each other of bias, and saying their views were better based upon their skills in the game, and that those who played better designed better, which really doesn't make much sense. Those who design better are better designers. Those who mostly debated these changes and considered skill the highest were the first to leave after being tired of disagreements. Glyph was one of those people. There was also an incident with Kien involving Link's infamous "37% damage fTilt jesus christ" and all of us requesting that be nerfed. The only way Kien would agree to this was if we sped up Mortal Draw. Personally this makes no sense, as nerfing one thing is not an excuse to buff another thing without seeing if said thing needs buffing in the first place. But ultimately we went with it since it didn't seem worth battling further.

After 1.01, I wanted to go back to that pushing the envelope thing I did before, and proposed adding Pichu to the game as Brawl Minus' first new character, as well as create a more polished game. At the time we had recruited TSON, the co-founder of Minus and responsible for most of the original coding, who agreed with this mindset. An argument involving coin element on Luigi's dTilt had ultimately caused Ellipsis to quit the team, who had disagreed with this change. Ellipsis later returned and apologized for acting irrationally, and agreed on removing the coin element on Luigi's dTilt. The development went on for months, with the community, as well as Glyph and Kien, pushing for a release date. I did my job of calculating when things would be ready by asking everyone involved in the coding of Pichu and other things, and between the two dates I proposed, April 29th and April 22nd, April 22nd was the day voted upon. The 22nd was, needless to say, a very very busy day. The vBrawl CSS had still not been made, and we had to rush out that at the last minute. Once that was all set, we transferred both versions off and had it ready for upload. But there was a mistake somewhere, and a test build was uploaded instead! Naturally we did what we could to rectify the situation as soon as possible! I wanted to keep my promise of getting the game out on the 22nd, but at the same time it was my mistake to not test the uploaded build, and delay the release of the game when that happened, and I have taken responsibility and apologized on several occasions soon after this happened. There was another incident with Kien. It was discovered that Mortal Draw could be combo'd into. Mortal Draw is an OHKO so that's uh really kinda unhealthy. Kien insisted on this change staying in, as he did not his main Link to be any weaker, and felt that the only one who should defeat Ganon's OHKO Punch should be Link with a better OHKO for Lore reasons that really had nothing to do with Minus balance. Mortal Draw got slowed down after a long battle.

3.5 was mostly smooth sailing. The removal of the SEP caused us to pick and choose what stages remained in the game, though. This is where I will directly confront one of Kien's points, regarding the stagelist. All of us in the dev room decided which stages would remain in the game based upon their popularity and how frequently they were played, which is how we wound up with a stage list very close to the one we have today. Some stages may be similar to others, like YS Melee, Battlefield, Dream Greens, and FoD, but when deciding which we would take out, we had decided against it due to A. All of these stages offering something unique, as well as being popular in their own right and B. There wasn't a stage to replace them with. Also Gold left during this period for his own reasons, as well as Glitch, who never really left the team but instead isn't a BR. Naturally he's still working on this very site and supporting Minus outside of the game itself.

3.Q had two bumps in the road during development: The first one is an incident once again revolving around R.O.B. basically, Kien made a new R.O.B. build form vBrawl, that focused on making him pretty much a zoner. Not only did it miss R.O.B.'s basic design in its execution (R.O.B. by design is a character who uses his projectiles to create openings and then rush in for combos).The build was fairly wonky and still needed a lot of things determined, and its proposal did not sound popular on the forums, so this R.O.B. build was ultimately rejected, and R.O.B. was once again given nerfs instead. The other was bigger, and this was related to SAHunterMech, who proposed a Gan-NUKE in place of the Gandouken, which was similar to Falcon's Punch aura in 2.x.6, in which the would be huge GFX hitbox surrounding the punch, only rather than Falcon's multihit, this would be a single hit. This sounded nice on paper, so it was developed and tested. And during testing, it had the same problems Falcon's, which was discourage actual edgeguarding and just use punches on the edge. Mech tried to rework it, but ultimately nothing worked right, so it was scrapped. Mech was upset and left, but is willing to work on non-fighter things if needed.

Now let's get to 4.0 development, and where we are today. There was another incident with Kien. The first is the Venus Lighthouse incident. When discussing stages, Kien proposed Venus Lighthouse. It was debated and people liked it, but Tybis and I expressed concern for anti-competition (we have since changed our minds, but this was our mindset at the time). This caused Kien to create a thread which, since this was a BR discussion and BR discussions should not be brought out to the public, I deleted on sight. This caused another incident with Kien, involving him acting against the interests of the BR and sending mass PMs. It gave us a view on Venus Lighthouse, but not in the way we wanted to get that view. Kien lost PM privileges and we agreed to reconsider Venus Lighthouse. There was another incident with Kien. While discussing Lavaville vs Norfair, a debate now known on the forums, BPC's request was brought up, and the two of us got in a hot debate about stages and the value of the request. We ultimately decided on what is now known in the 4.0 preview changelog, thanks to Moo messaging BPC himself about the matter. Despite it already being resolved and not involving him at all, Kien wrote a long essay and essentially left the dev room in a fit of rage. I had no interest in reading as the first two paragraphs were all personal insults towards me, and if the beginning of it was just mocking me and spitting on my image, I saw no reason why I should have to read further. Then several weeks later, there was another incident with Kien. Tybis mentioned Kien wanting to come back to the BR, so as leader I went to talk to Kien myself. Kien's immediate response was something along the lines of "Well my wishes were already broken because I wish to never talk to you again". We tried debating terms which were essentially listening to each other more. Since Kien has actually left the BR in fits of rage several times before, I figured I should test it this time. The results were...disappointing, to say the least. We can talk the talk together, but we just simply cannot walk the walk. And on top of this, the dev room since Kien's absence has been much more peaceful. I'll even confess, there was even relief from multiple people when he left. There were no arguments that lead to nowhere, no long essays, no personal attacks on one another, things were just...starting to work. Several people asides myself have shown that They don't want Kien back. All of these factors combined, alongside all of the aforementioned incidents, let me reach the conclusion to decline Kien reentry into the backroom.

And here we are today. Kien further harassed me pushing for him to get in, but I decided to block Kien since talking to him was only causing me stress and nothing seemed to change on either party. Kien then sent out mass PMs discussing a community uprising against me (which I learned of thanks to an anonymous tip) and telling the community that I am some sort of tyrant because I have the flaw that was mentioned in this thread (I skimmed, will reply to individual posts later) that if I'm not confident in someone's abilities, I shoot their ideas down if they don't seem right a little too early. As anyone else currently in the BR can tell you, I'm rather trustworthy of the likes of Sammi and Tybis, and Maw has warmed up to me very quickly. Nowhere in any point has Kien shown me that he knows "what he's doing", from his intense bias towards the Zelda franchise to making questionable changes to various characters (3.Q Dorf, among the others I already mentioned), and on top of that his personal vendetta and arrogant attitude against me only pushed me to trust him less as a team member. This is a fate that could have been avoided if both of us were a little different and more open to one another, but we have passed that point now, I am afraid.

Anyways, the thread has brought attention to the dev room and we all discussed this thread as well as my leadership, and came to the conclusion that I'm a fair leader to the team and that this thread was more unneeded drama, but did make us want to involve ourselves in the community more. We love the community, it's just we're busy with our lives too, but if it lets you trust us more as a development team, we are willing to make more time for the ones we make our game for.

and now we're discussing trading card games.

And that is my story.

TL;DR there were a lot of mistakes over Minus history, and I list a few incidents in which Kien and I got in debates that should not have happened and never ended well. Kien left the BR in rage and got even more enraged when I decided to not let him back in due to the fact that he acted against the BR. He's a capable coder but not a team player. We're going to work to involve ourselves more as a dev team with our community. Trading card games.

Now after writing the longest post I've ever made, it's time to read the rest of this thread and respond to individual posters. Feel free to reply to this one with any questions as well, and I will kindly answer them.
I edited the post to include both major explanations of themselves. Before you make a decision, i implore you to read the thread. There have been many more points by kien, and rebuttals. -Sammi Husky

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Strange how the "leader" of a project that has very few developers denies a person trying to join the backroom. But yeah, methinks it's time that Pin steps down and lets someone else be leader.

Thor

I'll state that I think if a move can't be buffed from vBrawl without being dumb [MK tornado, ZSS dsmash], just leaving it as is [which is why I want ZSS dsmash reverted to vBrawl stats - like seriously it's almost as high-risk high-reward as Falcon punch, which is just dumb considering it's not even very easy to hit with and it's a normal on a character with no way to make it better (ULTRATAUNT!)] or repurposing it [MK's nado is now not stupid but still useful] is good.

Zero-deaths can be possible even if the opponent has perfect DI [Mango vs Leffen at various points], but the fact that even with perfect DI, they are downright easy is something else I'll say is not exactly desirable in Minus.

However, I basically agree with Kien - if people are citing you as the reason they left, it's not like we have a big enough backroom to sustain losing multiple people. I don't particularly like kicking people out, but I think you should step down from leadership for now Pin. Maybe people will re-evaluate after you've left, and/or maybe you'll re-evaluate things and possibly be able to join again [I would be surprised if it was as leader, since I've heard you do not code], but for now, I think an at least temporary exit would be good for Minus overall, both in terms of manpower and in terms of the game's direction.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I will have absolutely no side being taken here, because the ONE time i come online after a looongg break from hacking due to computer problems (because this was brought to my attention) is over something stupid.

1.) Nobody told kien to leave, he has HATED pin on a personal level for a long time and has ragequit multiple times, all of which he did while saying very personal and hurtful things towards pin. I have no qualms with either of them and consider both of them my dear friends. However i do not appreciate that this thread seems to only tell one side of the story, and is why backroom matters should STAY backroom matters. We cannot, and should not, try to explain every single nitty gritty detail of PERSONAL problems with other members to each other.

2.) Pin denied kien rejoining the backroom for this very reason, because everytime kien comes back to the backroom (who i personally have no problems with) he refuses to work with pin for more PERSONAL reasons rather than logical. His opinion takes precedence and whenever pin doesn't agree, he blows up and tries to involve the community and make pin look like a bad leader. Pin was chosen as the leader by the previous project leader Thundamoo (who kien respects as a leader) and a majority vote of the members. Pin is a great leader in my opinion, and most any disagreements can and should be resolved civilly by agreeing to disagree and having the other devs vote on a situation. However, while kien would say that he DOES do that, more often than not he includes people in those "votes" or those who are in favor who are in fact not part of the backroom. Then, when this very fact is cited and the validity challenged, he will try to call a community vote on the forums. while we respect all feedback from each and every one of you, this should not be the case unless discussed prior with the other members of the development team.

3.) Since i joined the backroom, as i've said before, my MAIN focus was balancing this game for competitive play while keeping the fun aspect of whacky and silly powerful moves etc etc. Pin has done a phenomenal job sifting through the arguments and points made by players here on the forums and from internal members of the backroom. Whereas kien seems fully intent (with a good heart) that the game is still broken, and has been the one pushing nerfs for characters for some time after i stopped pushing them myself. The only problem is that kien refuses to believe that it could be the the other way around, and that his opinion IS the rigtht one. The backroom actually contains roughly 27 people, and of those members only 4 have ever expressed dislike for pin as a leader. Pin has said, and still says, that if it is voted that pin should step down as leader; than he of course will, just as if a vote is taken for any other decision that he is against and the majority opposes him, he obviously agrees to it with personal opinion aside.

There are many other things i wish to convey about pin and kien's relationship, however the situation is entirely none of the public's business. the VAST majority of the backroom (including the previous leader) are still around, and they are still here because they see no flaw in pin as a person or a leader. I support pin in most all of his decisions, but when we do disagree we do it respectfully and pin always wants to reach a compromise to make both sides happy.

To work as a team means to make compromises, however kien and all those who have left the BR over such arguments have been completely unwilling to work with us after majority vote.
In kien's case, he simply refuses to listen to anything pin says regardless of what it is simply because "It's pin."

I always thought hat so many people leaving the br was fishy. The fact that they all cited Pin as their main reason for leaving is why I think Pin has to go.
Who are all these people who left that you speak of? I can only think of glyph and gold. Both of those members have started arguments and fights over the fact that they think their opinions hold more weight either because they believe we don't know what were talking about or because "They're better players than us". MIND YOU, both those members of the BR were quite recent members and the other previous members of the team were still present when votes were cast as majority opposing them.

The only other members who i can think of that left because of pin, was elipsis. And he has come back to the backroom after both pin and elipsis resolved their differences for the better of the mod. They are both on good terms last i checked. I Apologize if i am forgetting someone, but i digress. I refute the idea that pin is a bad leader, not from bias or personal opinion, but based on my experience around pin. The backroom would have completely fallen apart by now if pin had not made the decisions he has made.

For a community that is apparently so tight nit, you all don't seem to have much faith in your developers that have taken the game where it is. NOT just pin, but devs who have been a part of this team since long before / during MAX. It is due to this fact, that i suggested to pin that we do a livestreamed skype call with the community. This would give you all a more direct, PERSONAL experience with us. And will allow you to form your own opinions about us, rather than only hear one side of an argument from someone who is angry at the person in question.

The details of this event are unknown and not confirmed, but i do hope it will become a reality in the near future.
And with that, i will be off. And to add something unexpected to this fight, i want to let all the members of this community know that i love and appreciate each and every one of you. <3 you have helped make this community, and this game that we all love, what it is now. Much love to all the dedicated fans! See you all soon~

acidvengence

Instead of driving it into the ground, inevitably at this rate, the option for someone (or more) to step up should be presented. Even if this doesn't happen, the old back will fall apart and a new era will form around him, trapping him in the walls. Without his cooperation, his spree will fall and it'll be all the worse in the end.

The statement at this time is, step down and give others a chance at actual success as a leader, not a tyrant.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Glyph, Gold, Kien, and Glitch have all left the backroom citing Pin as their main reason why.
Be that as it may, and semantics aside as to the reasons WHY they left being caused by pin, there are far more within the backroom internally who support him than who do not and/or who have left. This includes members who have brought this game to where it is, even before max.

Apologies for not responding to your messages kien, i have not been online at all due to computer problems and life getting in the way. I do hope you understand that i have never had problems with you, nor pin. However, since you decided to bring it into the public, i must express my opinion on the matter, regardless of my feelings towards either of you. i.e Try my best to present an unbiased depiction of pin, and the backroom as a whole.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Now I'm gonna build on that.

Sammi, you were the one who always said that you just didn't even feel the need to push for balance changes anymore, because you felt that Pin would reject them, am I wrong? Now I'm gonna answer or.. reply to each of your points in an orderly manner since you numbered them.

1. I have the conversations between the BR and Pin. As well as the ones between myself and Pin. If I felt like digging long enough I could go further to get even more stuff of when people left the BR after arguing with him. You might also add, that it was extremely rare that someone in the BR other than Pin would ever be involved in an argument. The most we came to was a disagreement and cease to pursue whatever that end was. This doesn't only show one side of the picture, I can assure you.

2. Pin denied me coming back into the BR because I intentionally buffed Link with the intention of making him on par with the top 3. Don't believe me? You can have this quote.
[2/20/2015 7:25:29 PM] Kienamaru: You're really just mentioning my bad ideas
[2/20/2015 7:25:35 PM] Kienamaru: not what I've been accused of not knowing
[2/20/2015 7:25:51 PM] Pin Clock: oh when you buffed Link in 3.Q then
[2/20/2015 7:26:07 PM] Kienamaru: That was intentional.
[2/20/2015 7:26:18 PM] Pin Clock: that doesn't mean you knew what you were doing
[2/20/2015 7:26:22 PM] Kienamaru: Yes it does.
[2/20/2015 7:26:34 PM] Pin Clock: I mean you knew what you were doing, but not WHAT you were doing
[2/20/2015 7:26:36 PM] Kienamaru: I wanted at least one version of Link who was OP like ROB and Lucario.
[2/20/2015 7:27:58 PM] Kienamaru: I honestly don't think it would be hard for me to make the entire roster as good as the top 5. But It wouldn't be fun to have everyone blatantly broken beyond belief.
[2/20/2015 7:28:23 PM] Kienamaru: Actually
[2/20/2015 7:28:38 PM] Kienamaru: the only thing I didn't know about 3.Q Link was that he could spam projectiles.
[2/20/2015 7:28:51 PM] Kienamaru: I knew he had good jabs because I had talked to Thunda about them.
[2/20/2015 7:29:04 PM] Kienamaru: Speeding them up didn't make what they were good at any better though
[2/20/2015 7:29:18 PM] Kienamaru: It just gave him a chance at winning a trade of smash A
[2/20/2015 7:30:01 PM] Kienamaru: Whenever I do buff a character, I know what I'm doing. And I know what I'm going for. No one ever asks that second question though.
[2/20/2015 7:46:58 PM] Pin Clock: usually because the second is implied with the first
[2/20/2015 7:47:31 PM] Kienamaru: You have to know me better than that by now.
[2/20/2015 7:47:34 PM] Kienamaru: It's been well over a year.
[2/20/2015 7:48:07 PM] Pin Clock: "Treat Kien as if he were autsitic when it comes to logic" got it
[2/20/2015 7:49:04 PM] Kienamaru: Actually, that might not be a bad idea.
[2/20/2015 7:49:26 PM] Kienamaru: Not so much "logic" but more so reasoning.
[2/20/2015 7:49:42 PM] Kienamaru: Be as direct as I am basically.
[2/20/2015 7:50:03 PM] Kienamaru: Otherwise I might not notice something, or you might misinterpret something.
[2/20/2015 7:51:53 PM] Kienamaru: I do appreciate you wanting to turn it into an insult fest though. Makes things less boring and faketastic.
[2/20/2015 7:53:02 PM] Pin Clock: If I called you a smartass you would have taken it as a compliment
[2/20/2015 7:53:48 PM] Kienamaru: Nonsense.
[2/20/2015 7:56:29 PM] Pin Clock: the better question is I dunno why I'm still chatting with you since you aren't coming back in anyways
[2/20/2015 7:56:56 PM] Kienamaru: I'm not?
[2/20/2015 7:57:09 PM] Kienamaru: I was wondering why you hadn't reinvited me. :|
[2/20/2015 7:57:29 PM] Kienamaru: Here I am, wanting to code and get shit done. Only to be turned down because you don't like to compromise.
[2/20/2015 7:57:39 PM] Pin Clock: You don't either
[2/20/2015 7:57:44 PM] Kienamaru: Yes I do.
[2/20/2015 7:57:56 PM] Kienamaru: I totes asked if you were fine to do an equal compromise.
[2/20/2015 7:58:00 PM] Kienamaru: 2 for 2 or 3 for 3.
[2/20/2015 7:58:03 PM] Pin Clock: and you pretty much just told me you wanted to make one character blatantly OP in a build and did so purposely
[2/20/2015 7:58:10 PM] Kienamaru: That was one build.
[2/20/2015 7:58:15 PM] Kienamaru: I don't intend on doing that again.
[2/20/2015 7:58:17 PM] Pin Clock: that's still a build
[2/20/2015 7:58:32 PM] Pin Clock: that's like saying "I only shoplifted here ONE TIME please let me work here"
[2/20/2015 7:58:37 PM] Kienamaru: Not really.
[2/20/2015 7:58:41 PM] Pin Clock: yes really
[2/20/2015 7:58:43 PM] Kienamaru: Shoplifting is against the rules./law
[2/20/2015 7:58:50 PM] Kienamaru: making a character OP isn't.
[2/20/2015 7:59:01 PM] Kienamaru: As a matter of fact, it's actually put Link closer to where he needed to be.
[2/20/2015 7:59:06 PM] Pin Clock: Just because it isn't a law doesn't mean it was a fair thing to do
[2/20/2015 7:59:17 PM] Pin Clock: and that's your opinion of where Link was supposed to be
[2/20/2015 7:59:19 PM] Kienamaru: Botching a release is a lot worse than breaking a character.
[2/20/2015 7:59:32 PM] Kienamaru: That's the majority's opinion of where Link needs to be.
[2/20/2015 7:59:39 PM] Kienamaru: Especially with us raising the overall power.
[2/20/2015 7:59:43 PM] Pin Clock: Who, Kien Kien and Kien?
[2/20/2015 7:59:56 PM] Kienamaru: Sammi, Tybis, Thor, Bent, Aether...
[2/20/2015 7:59:59 PM] Kienamaru: I can probably go on
[2/20/2015 8:00:03 PM] Kienamaru: but the rest would take actual thought
[2/20/2015 8:00:51 PM] Kienamaru: You think my bias runs deeper than it does
[2/20/2015 8:24:52 PM] Kienamaru: SO you're gonna be like this though?
[2/20/2015 8:37:38 PM] Kienamaru: What you're doing is akin to no longer invited a friend over to your house because they drank the last of your pepsi.
[2/20/2015 8:51:22 PM] Kienamaru: Not inherently bad, but not good.
[2/20/2015 8:51:43 PM] Kienamaru: Not something everyone will complain about, but some people will.
[2/20/2015 8:52:03 PM] Kienamaru: A thing that's small and only temporary, but could be seen as annoying.
[2/20/2015 8:52:50 PM] Pin Clock: it's more like that last pepsi was the straw that broke the camel's back
[2/20/2015 8:53:12 PM] Kienamaru: How can the camel have his back broken by the weakest thing?
[2/20/2015 8:53:21 PM] Kienamaru: Better yet, your analogies are garbo. So lets be real.
[2/20/2015 8:53:42 PM] Kienamaru: Of all the good I've done this mod, before and after your "leadership"
[2/20/2015 8:53:52 PM] Kienamaru: How is me making a character OP on purpose the worst thing?
[2/20/2015 8:54:01 PM] Pin Clock: You say that like it's the only thing
[2/20/2015 8:54:05 PM] Kienamaru: Especially considering the history behind making builds
[2/20/2015 8:54:14 PM] Kienamaru: Sheik was intentionally OP
[2/20/2015 8:54:19 PM] Kienamaru: Lucario was intentionally OP
[2/20/2015 8:54:23 PM] Kienamaru: ROB was intentionally OP
[2/20/2015 8:54:30 PM] Kienamaru: Thunda's Olimar was intentionally OP
[2/20/2015 8:54:33 PM] Pin Clock: No, they were just made better and better and better over time
[2/20/2015 8:54:45 PM] Kienamaru: Sheik was made OP all at once.
[2/20/2015 8:54:49 PM] Kienamaru: I coded her, I should know.
[2/20/2015 8:54:50 PM] Pin Clock: "intentionally OP" was "Yeah I designed this Link to be the best character in the game"
[2/20/2015 8:54:58 PM] Kienamaru: OP doesn't mean the best...
[2/20/2015 8:55:06 PM] Kienamaru: you're stupid. I guess that explains it.
[2/20/2015 8:55:19 PM] Kienamaru: I said I made him so that he would be OP SO THAT HE COULD COMPETE with the top 2.
[2/20/2015 8:55:24 PM] Kienamaru: Not so he could demolish them
[2/20/2015 8:57:08 PM] Kienamaru: Your comprehension must be flawed if you always manage to read around what I say.
[2/20/2015 8:57:17 PM] Kienamaru: Now tell me, What else I've "done" to break the camel.

But it was definitely me who was unwilling to compromise. If you want to see what proposals we came up with I can show you those too.

3. Go ahead and convey those things. You know I've got nothing to hide and I won't hold anything against you.

No longer numbered I guess, but the few who did leave wasn't exactly all majority voted. Gold wasn't outvoted. Him and I shared the same opinion vs you and Pin (directed at Sammi). This was about Pit and Lucario remaining OP if I recall.

Glitch

Minus Backroom
Zeus Developer
Useless addition to one of my single digit post counts,
I did not leave the br because of Pin, I left for completely other reasons (some irrational but unchangeable), and some personal.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Useless addition to one of my single digit post counts,
I did not leave the br because of Pin, I left for completely other reasons (some irrational but unchangeable), and some personal.

Good to see you Glitch, we haven't spoken in some time. How have you been? As a sidenote, i was a bit confused when people were saying you left because of pin..but i wasn't sure what has been said since then, so i didn't want to speak on behalf of someone i haven't been in contact with :)

Now I'm gonna build on that.
No longer numbered I guess, but the few who did leave wasn't exactly all majority voted. Gold wasn't outvoted. Him and I shared the same opinion vs you and Pin (directed at Sammi). This was about Pit and Lucario remaining OP if I recall.

I was talking in respect to when gold left the BR, of his own accord. And yes in that particular discussion both sides were equally backed. Being evenly backed does not equal making the change. It was brought up, discussed, voted, and the things expressed were kept in mind. Afterwards, we did end up nerfing lucario again, did we not? As was pit, as well as many characters since Gold's leaving.

I also was not saying that you never were willing to compromise my friend. I was pointing out that the times in which you either quit or there was some big argument, were mostly because you were unwilling to compromise, or your initial compromise suggestion was non complaint with our conditions of compromise. Don't get me wrong kien. You do great work, and your work and influence can be seen all throughout minus. We wouldn't have half the things done we have now if not for you coding them. I'd love to have you back in the BR personally, but i cannot deny the fact that for a point in time nearly every day I would come home and there would be 400+ messages of argument messages between you and pin. From my standpoint at least, and in my opinion, it did seem like you were the main aggressor in the majority of them. Quite often, there would be many hurtful things said towards pin. Im not saying pin is a saint or anything either, everyone makes mistakes. As do i myself, but it's how we handle these situations that make all the difference. I definitely agree that pin was the one unwilling to work with you in that chat though, but i do know that the reason it went down like that is because of both of your past experiences with each other. One's that i have witnessed, and possibly been a part of. (though as you recall, i normally don't take sides in you and Pin's arguments.)

In any case, i really don't care for publication of these events like this. I wish we could all get along. While you are both friends to me, and i wish we could all work together on the mod we love (and god knows you two love this mod, otherwise we/you/pin wouldn't get so fired up about it). But i will stand by what i've said. While Pin may have some flaws, as does everyone who ever lived ever, i still disagree that he is a bad leader. And my vote personally is to keep him there.

And as a side note, i got tired of pushing my opinion on balance stuff as a whole. Not specifically because of pin, though that was (at a time) a big part of it. In pin's defense, it was mainly because we were nerfing SOOOOOOO much stuff at the time, and many many people expressed the dislike for that (including all you peeps here on the forums). So, when i come along trying to nerf so many things, i can understand that it would meet resistance. When i said i stopped pushing my opinion, i meant that i stopped trying super hard to push my opinion. Mainly because i know that MY opinion is my own, and trying sooooo hard to push my agenda (while being constructive and working out most times) is setting my self up to be let down, and consequently become angry, when my opinion isn't the majority. Not that i felt it was no use.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I find it rather disrespectful that you would speak of me in such manners, Sammi, especially when you yourself did the same thing to reject anything I brought up. You're a coder and you play for money, so you automatically know better than me, correct? I don't attend tournaments, so my opinions hold no weight to them, cause I don't know what I'm talking about?

Don't disrespect me publicly again, if you don't mind.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I find it rather disrespectful that you would speak of me in such manners, Sammi, especially when you yourself did the same thing to reject anything I brought up. You're a coder and you play for money, so you automatically know better than me, correct? I don't attend tournaments, so my opinions hold no weight to them, cause I don't know what I'm talking about?

Don't disrespect me publicly again, if you don't mind.

Excuse me? I did not disrespect you in any fashion. Nowhere ever have i said my opinion holds more weight than yours. I have always been friendly with you gold. Nor was i "Speaking on your behalf". You left, saying "Keep your broken game, you can have it". Because your opinion was not the same as ours. But fine, in your defense, go ahead and explain why you left then. With quotes or screenshots, if you really want to make it seem like im "Disrespecting you" or ever have.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
You're a coder and you play for money, so you automatically know better than me, correct? I don't attend tournaments, so my opinions hold no weight to them, cause I don't know what I'm talking about?

Also, do not put words in my mouth. I FIND it rather disrespectful that you would accuse me of such things. I never said that, and have always been an advocate of all people having an equal opinion

Gold_TSG

Who are all these people who left that you speak of? I can only think of glyph and gold. Both of those members have started arguments and fights over the fact that they think their opinions hold more weight either because they believe we don't know what were talking about or because "They're better players than us".

This is disrespectful to me. I didn't fight, I debated. And saying what you believe my beliefs are? Telling people what you think I held myself as? Not to mention, you were the first person to mention me by name in this topic.

I held you in a higher light than this, Sammi.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
This is disrespectful to me. I didn't fight, I debated. And saying what you believe my beliefs are? Telling people what you think I held myself as? Not to mention, you were the first person to mention me by name in this topic.

I held you in a higher light than this, Sammi.

Well, if i am wrong, than i apologize. But, i will not detract my statement as at the time i was under the impression that it was indeed the case. If not, so be it. But, why did you leave Gold? Nobody asked you to. I mean this whole heartedly when i ask you to to tell me what you really meant when you left. That way it will end all confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

I personally felt like I had no weight to my opinions, that when I gave an idea to potentially help bring the fun back, it always seemed like it was turned down without even an attempt to try it. I spent a great deal of my limited free time testing for you guys, even losing time I could have spent with my BF trying to make sure everything was balanced and functional. What I said when I left, I said out of frustration, and nothing more. I truly enjoyed helping with this project, but for someone like me, I can only hear "no" so many times before I feel like all I'm there for is to be the test dummy.

And if I seemed harsh with my prior posts (i know I did), I apologise. I have been going through A LOT in my life right now, currently hoping my cancer isn't coming back, so I have been very, very on edge.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I personally felt like I had no weight to my opinions, that when I gave an idea to potentially help bring the fun back, it always seemed like it was turned down without even an attempt to try it. I spent a great deal of my limited free time testing for you guys, even losing time I could have spent with my BF trying to make sure everything was balanced and functional. What I said when I left, I said out of frustration, and nothing more. I truly enjoyed helping with this project, but for someone like me, I can only hear "no" so many times before I feel like all I'm there for is to be the test dummy.

And if I seemed harsh with my prior posts (i know I did), I apologise. I have been going through A LOT in my life right now, currently hoping my cancer isn't coming back, so I have been very, very on edge.

Im sorry you felt that way. I too enjoyed the time you spent in the BR. I know how you feel in regards to the time you put in. I spent (and still spend) alot of time on it, taking away from quite a few things i would like to do with my BF as well :( that's part of why i took a break from hacking. I hope your cancer isn't coming back as well. If it is, i hope everything works out okay :(

Thor

OMG I LOVE DERAILED THREADS!

GUYS WE NEED TO BUFF FALCO'S SHINE, IT DOESN'T SET UP FREE COMBOS LIKE FOX AND WOLF'S DO AND IS NOT IMMEDIATELY CANCELLABLE. CLEARLY IT'S INFERIOR.

Also my signature below plz.

I was told SA Hunter Mech quit, or else had quite the impressive delusions. I have no idea if this is true or not.

ALSO, I propose a poll at the top: Should Pin step down as leader? Yes/No/I don't care. The entire BR at least should vote.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
OMG I LOVE DERAILED THREADS!
I was told SA Hunter Mech quit, or else had quite the impressive delusions. I have no idea if this is true or not.

I believe you are correct, however if my memory serves correct....he did come back to the BR and the two agreed to disagree. BUTTTTT before anything happens again, i haven't seen him in quite a long time. So i may not be correct. However, his skype acct IS in the BR still. So i think my memory is at least close to correct

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I personally felt like I had no weight to my opinions, that when I gave an idea to potentially help bring the fun back, it always seemed like it was turned down without even an attempt to try it. I spent a great deal of my limited free time testing for you guys […] trying to make sure everything was balanced and functional. […] I truly enjoyed helping with this project, but for someone like me, I can only hear "no" so many times before I feel like all I'm there for is to be the test dummy.
I could say the exact same thing as this, regarding my experience here. To me, it seems like only a select few devs have any real authority in shaping Minus. At least you and Glyph were respected enough to be included in the Backroom once, Gold. Most of us non-devs have been kept in the dark regarding new developments. Even the most diehard, longtime fans of Minus (such as myself) have no more clue as to what's going on than a newcomer does... unless someone like Kienamaru reaches out.

That's my favorite thing about Kien; he can be hotheaded, but he listens to the community and actually responds. He accepts feedback and keeps us up-to-date on his work. Just reading through Kien's custom build changelogs shows how much he cares about Minus, and how he's willing to put in the work required.

Outside of this thread, Kien has been the only one painting a picture of what the Backroom looks like, for outsiders. If there's more to the story, I'd like to hear it, but I believe most of his complaints so far are valid.

Thor

I could say the exact same thing as this, regarding my experience here. To me, it seems like only a select few devs have any real authority in shaping Minus. At least you and Glyph were respected enough to be included in the Backroom once, Gold. Most of us non-devs have been kept in the dark regarding new developments. Even the most diehard, longtime fans of Minus (such as myself) have no more clue as to what's going on than a newcomer does... unless someone like Kienamaru reaches out.

That's my favorite thing about Kien; he can be hotheaded, but he listens to the community and actually responds. He accepts feedback and keeps us up-to-date on his work. Just reading through Kien's custom build changelogs shows how much he cares about Minus, and how he's willing to put in the work required.

Outside of this thread, Kien has been the only one painting a picture of what the Backroom looks like, for outsiders. If there's more to the story, I'd like to hear it, but I believe most of his complaints so far are valid.

I would love that poll I mentioned above - I was entirely serious about wanting the Warlock Punch to not be suicidal [I could write a huge diatribe but it's been hashed out a LOT], but even more seriously, I would appreciate if all the people in the backroom [27?] posted if they agreed, disagreed, or were neutral with Kien [even if they had no reasons for it listed]. If they don't have accounts, surely they can spend 5 minutes making one, getting labeled as part of the dev team/backroom, and make one post on the matter.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Well, we don't have time to keep updates being posted at all times. And for the most part, there isn't alot going on alot of the time. The BR is made up of people who are doing their best to develope this game in their free time with little to no compensation (and most the people there have jobs and college to deal with as well, including pin) and now we have this, where our "loyal fans" express such discontent over us all doing our best for you all. Including pin. He's not some tyrant, he's doing his best just as we all are. Furthermore, it's quite tedious to respond to absolutely everything that is said, but we DO hear all of your feedback. I promise you that.

This is why were considering the livestream event, where you can all ask us questions in realtime while actually listening to our voices for a change. You'll get to hear us discuss minus, our ideals, our goals, and get to hear how much we goof off, joke, and laugh about random crap xD

I would love that poll I mentioned above - I was entirely serious about wanting the Warlock Punch to not be suicidal [I could write a huge diatribe but it's been hashed out a LOT], but even more seriously, I would appreciate if all the people in the backroom [27?] posted if they agreed, disagreed, or were neutral with Kien [even if they had no reasons for it listed]. If they don't have accounts, surely they can spend 5 minutes making one, getting labeled as part of the dev team/backroom, and make one post on the matter.

While it seems like a good idea at first, it only really serves to publicize the debate / argument. If it offers any condolance, don't you think if the majority of the BR wanted pin gone, he would be? i mean, why would we listen to/be lead by someone we didn't want or respect...? Just a thought.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Well Sammi. I can answer what the active BR says. I can quote if you want me to.

Thunda- Neutral
Maw- Neutral
Tybis- Neutral
Numbuh- sides with me
Rosetta- Neutral
Darkfire/Akeno- Sides with me

Anyone else i haven't asked. You are the only one to stand alongside Pin though.