Brawl Minus 4.0b is here!

Mariosonicman1

yay. home run contest co-op works! :D (now to get an instant world record with two warlock punches)

Cheetaboy

After i play online with someone, sometimes on the winning screen it waits until zero and disconnects us from the room, is there any fix for this?

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
Thanks for the clarification. I guess its floatiness is just more noticeable to me, now that everyone falls a little faster. Some characters are affected by this more than others -- I could compare it to a tax increase, where heavies are poor and lightweights are rich. The heavies needed every bit of airtime they had in 3.Q, and now they have 10% less of it... while the floaters aren't bothered by the reduction at all; they still have plenty left.

Is the new 1.1x gravity most likely here to stay, or is it just experimental?

Does anyone think any of the cast feel too heavy now?

I feel like a lot of the heavy characters where a little OP compared to the rest of the cast previously. Yes they could still be juggled but they could also kill earlier. I've seen differences in Ike, Ganondorf, and Bowser when playing, in that they're no longer the cake-walk they used to be, but still contenders nonetheless. I personally like the new overall feel of the game. It feels much more polished.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
...You know what, never mind what I said about Lucario being too floaty. Maybe it is, but who am I to say so?

I don't play Lucario, and I don't play against it often, so I was unfamiliar with its fall speed. I definitely noticed the extra gravity on my Ganondorf, and when I tried Lucario, it felt unfair how little it seemed to be affected. Please excuse my uninformed opinions from before.

Anyone think it would have been more fair to adjust gravity on a per-character basis, though? Is that open for debate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
That would take far and beyond too much time to test on a per-char balancing perspective, since every single char would need to be tested and retested against every char to see how they fare in countless scenarios for combo balance and other such nonsense.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I was thinking of something much more simple than that: If multiple players think a certain character feels too heavy in 4.0b's base gravity, decrease his or her weight a bit. If no one complains about it, everything's fine as-is.

It's mainly the heavy characters' gravity I'm concerned about, since they fell more than fast enough in 3.Q.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Complaints come from opinions, which differ from others. While some may think one char's fall speed is too much, others may find it useful in ways the former wouldn't think of. Heavies benefit greatly onstage from the extra fall speed because of the autocanceling. The sooner they get back to the ground, the sooner they can give chase for follow ups.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
So basically the attribute changes started out as a quick and dirty way of testing lower hitstun plus higher gravity (individual tweaking is, as Gold mentioned, time consuming and difficult to get right), and ended up being a pretty good change with no immediately obvious issues that we found so we decided to go with it. We'll be doing more individual tweaking in 4.0, giving some fighters even more gravity, giving some less, buffing jump heights for fighters who can't full hop onto battlefield platforms any more, etc, but for a beta we think that the overall improvements gained from hitstun and gravity changes greatly outweigh the costs so that's what we went with.

TheRealF8

You are right, most characters can DI out of this completely, which I discovered after more messing around and a real player being able to test with me. Yes they could DI down and tech, but Roy's dash is fast enough to get a regrab off of a tech chase as well. Roy still has a good kill confirm at early percents and all it requires is tech chase off of a forward throw, downtilt, dair or single hit fair. being able to kill at 60 because you got a grab or a b-air at the edge is a little insane in my opinion when stocks usually last to later percents.

Learn what directional influence is. There are no true chaingrabs in Minus, because you can hold away from Roy and he can't regrab you. Whatever "Chaingrab" Roy was doing to you was not a true combo unless you don't know how to DI or DI it badly.

Also dev team needs to stop messing with GFX, the GFX are part of what makes Minus unique. I still want Falco yelling "PERSONALLY, I PREFER FIRE!" to be a thing [was my favorite part of MAX]. I'm still waiting to test double team to see how laggy it is, but if it's really that bad, they could tweak it like boost and add a 30-frame cooldown on the move or something.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
i got the patch and it still doesnt work :(
Can you please explain in more detail what you're doing and what's happening? Your SD card should have the folders apps, private, and codes when you first open it. It should NOT have a folder called Brawl Minus in it.

Thor

You are right, most characters can DI out of this completely, which I discovered after more messing around and a real player being able to test with me. Yes they could DI down and tech, but Roy's dash is fast enough to get a regrab off of a tech chase as well. Roy still has a good kill confirm at early percents and all it requires is tech chase off of a forward throw, downtilt, dair or single hit fair. being able to kill at 60 because you got a grab or a b-air at the edge is a little insane in my opinion when stocks usually last to later percents.

Have you ever played against Captain Falcon???

Most of the cast has really early kill options or combos into insanely early kills... Falcon's forward air, Ganondorf's... everything?, Wolf uair chains to up+b, Ike fsmash [and stored eruption!], Wario's up+b, Luigi's green missile... the list goes on [and I'm ignoring meteor smashes], but most of the cast has the ability to take anyone from 60 to death, via one move or a combo into death.

Bent 00 said:
The occasional "Yes" (on Knee) or "Show me ya moves" (on Falcon Dive) is not nearly as annoying as "Y-Y-You're too slow" or "C-C-Come on, st-C-C-C-Come on, step it up".

Spam is bad, and encouraging it is bad. It's not funny.

Maybe it's just the stuttering that bothers me.

I... what???

First of all, I know some people who find those things annoying, but they like other SFX. Personally, the only SFX I ever didn't really like is the one on Peach fthrow (and I'm mostly over that now), mainly because adding long-duration SFX to a kill move is just annoying [and they also made it send at an evil angle that seems nigh-impossible to DI]. Even then, I had suggested moving it to dthrow [her saying it and sitting on you], adjusting fthrow, and making fthow its old speed [or even faster] instead of outright removing it, because outright moving most SFX seems to remove some flavor from the characters that I think makes Minus so much fun.

Also, you said something about things being stale. I was trying to make a joke that there's no stale moves, hence the knee never gets stale. It was a game mechanic joke more than anything.

If they are truly spamming, there's a way around it and you should just beat it, unless you yourself are bad [although Lucario's counter sounds broken and may be an exception to the rule, where counterplay is needlessly difficult]. If you are still getting hit, then maybe they aren't really spamming, but you are leaving yourself wide open to the same option, over and over and over and over and...

Swoosh_

Can you please explain in more detail what you're doing and what's happening? Your SD card should have the folders apps, private, and codes when you first open it. It should NOT have a folder called Brawl Minus in it.
my sd card looks like this
sd%20card.JPG
and when ever i go into the stage creator nothing happens

RogueHippie

I'm having the same problem Swoosh is having, no matter what I've tried it refuses to launch from the Stage Builder menu. Here's what the files look like on my SD card, it's a 2GB that uses the FAT format if that helps point out any problems. The SD card works fine with Project M, so I really don't know why it won't run Minus.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Okay, when you go to stage builder what shows up. Also, please check to make sure that your SD write protect switch isn't accidentally set (try writing a test file to it) and if it's not go to private/Wii/app/rsbe and check if there's an st (or maybe it's stg or something else, anything but pf) folder there, and if there is tell me how many/what files are in there.

Swoosh_

Okay, when you go to stage builder what shows up. Also, please check to make sure that your SD write protect switch isn't accidentally set (try writing a test file to it) and if it's not go to private/Wii/app/rsbe and check if there's an st (or maybe it's stg or something else, anything but pf) folder there, and if there is tell me how many/what files are in there.
i have pf

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Okay, that's the problem, it seems like at least one version of 4.0b that was uploaded is missing smash stack for some reason. You'll need to grab the smash stack file (grab it from a previous hackless build or there are a bunch of other versions), make a folder called st in the rsbe folder and put the snag stack file in it. Which download were you using BTW?

Swoosh_

Okay, that's the problem, it seems like at least one version of 4.0b that was uploaded is missing smash stack for some reason. You'll need to grab the smash stack file (grab it from a previous hackless build or there are a bunch of other versions), make a folder called st in the rsbe folder and put the snag stack file in it. Which download were you using BTW?
i was trying both but i used the 4.0 minus version with the patch

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
If I were to redownload 4.0b, would it contain the hotpatch fix? Just trying to get out of having to replace specific files and such.

RogueHippie

Well, Stage Builder just shows me the regular screen. I can make stages, save them to the Wii or the SD card, the usual. The protect switch isn't set, and I've got the st folder. It has st_smashstack and DS_Store. Am I missing something?