Community Request Thread for the next version after 4.0BC

MelonKeepR

For footstools, to make footstools useful, why not make them untechable like in Smash 4? Everyone loves a super hype footstool combo, and it would make some cool stuff usable without relying on tech mindgames! (My personal favorite: Diddy turning into Captain Falcon with FS --> dair --> FS --> dair --> rinse and repeat.)

It would also allow for more infinites, though.

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
(My personal favorite: Diddy turning into Captain Falcon with FS --> dair --> FS --> dair --> rinse and repeat.

Pretty sure situations like these are exactly what they are trying to avoid, and I agree with it. I think there should always be an opportunity for the person being combo'd to escape, and techable footstools does just that.

So Doq just posted a copy of Minus 2.X.6, and it reminded me how much more fun Ike was back then. And the reason he was so fun was because he had so much more mobility.

In 4.0BC, uair is worth using for recovery, but only barely. Ike gains a little extra height, but by the time the endlag is over, he's barely any higher than he would have been if he'd just jumped.

I understand why this is, of course. Being able to chase enemies off the top of the screen is powerful, even with a weaker move. Ike's uair hits hard! It's way stronger than Luigi and Waluigi's up specials, with the added benefit that Ike doesn't become helpless afterwards. The 2.X.6 version just wasn't balanced.

Broadly speaking, the dev team had two options for nerfing the move:
  1. Nerf how high the move goes.
  2. Nerf the move's power.
The dev team chose option 1, and I strongly disagree with that choice. The move was fun because of how high it went, and how fast. It was fun to have that extra movement option, even though (or perhaps because) it was a fairly big commitment. On the other hand, the move's power didn't make it especially fun. And yet they removed the fun part of the move in order to keep the boring part.

That's why I'd like to propose a few ways to make the move fun again, that I think would improve Ike's recovery and make him more fun to play, without giving him super-easy off-the-top kills.

Request: Buff the height Ike gains from uair, but remove most of the knockback. (Don't remove the knockback from the non-rising version.)

This way, Ike can use the rising version for mobility, and the regular one for kill power. That way, he'd have a reason to use the regular version. Also, it would let him do a form of pillaring: use uair to put the opponent in hitstun and get above them, then dair to send them down and create a tech chase situation.​

Request: If Ike is moving downwards, make uair halt his fall.

This was previously dismissed on account of being impossible, but it clearly isn't.​

Request: Allow Ike to cancel uair into Aether.

The worst thing about the current version of uair is that Ike starts to fall during the endlag, and you just have to sit there and watch as the stage gets farther and farther away. Canceling into Aether wouldn't affect the move's kill power (much), but it would give Ike a better chance of recovery.​

I'd prefer the first option here, but if the dev team wants to keep re-balancing to a minimum, then the other two will suffice.

Replace Wolf's "Play Time's over, Star Fox" line with something more appropriate, since Fox isn't always present." [666DAMAGE]
Bent 00: "Wolf only says "Star Fox" if the taunt is interrupted by an external force mid-Taunt. I wonder if it's possible to make it always cut off before he says that?"

Wolf says the full quote during his entrance animation. And yes, they could easily fix this by editing the sound file, but then Wolf couldn't say the full quote under any circumstances.

It would be nice if he included "Star Fox" when facing Fox or Falco, but my guess is that that's too hard to implement.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
For footstools, to make footstools useful, why not make them untechable like in Smash 4? Everyone loves a super hype footstool combo, and it would make some cool stuff usable without relying on tech mindgames! (My personal favorite: Diddy turning into Captain Falcon with FS --> dair --> FS --> dair --> rinse and repeat.)
Because we don't want infinites in the game.

Thor

My only input on footstools:

People have kind of cool suggestions [I think], but these all sound like huge changes that would be difficult to code. I think they're all incredibly minor relative to what I'll call core gameplay [how the characters fight neutral, frame data that can make or break a character, etc.], which is why I'd suggest leaving footstools alone unless the suggestions aren't that difficult to implement [I know there have been cool ideas for tethers in the past, but they're stupidly difficult to code... *glares at Samus*]

Rejnka

Certified All-Natural Pinkan Berry Saleschu
So, as a way to merge both the old Inhale grab cancel and allowing Abilities to be used more often, what if a copied opponent went into Kirby's standard grab afterwards (if used on the ground)?

Kirby: Give a larger, disjointed hitbox for UTilt (ala SSB64) because disjoints are always fun

I like this one. Minus includes references to previous games, and that hitbox was amazing enough to be worth referencing.

Kirby_Up_Tilt_Hitbox_Smash_64.gif

Survivian

The Rando-Est of Brandos
Minus Backroom
Pit:
Basically all of his muti-hit moves (except Side-B), have a ton of hits that don't link into each other well. Decrease the amount of hits they do and make them link together better.

Last edited:

ThePwnzr

THE Frame Data Guy
Minus Backroom
:pikachu: - Have the hits of f-air link more reliably into the final hit. I don't mind the combo shenanigans that comes with the current f-air, but there's times when I'd like to use the final hit instead of "combo-ability". In fact, it could potentially open more options for combos, since it'd probably be a strong Autolink (361) angle. Think Falco nair, potentially. Likely much, much weaker, but something like it.

• Up b, Idk if this is because people suck, but people rarely sweet spot the ledge. Do something?

Charizard's Fly only sweetspots early on in the move. After about halfway through, it becomes impossible to sweetspot. (Fun fact: it used to sweetspot towards the end but not at the start.)

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Can we get a "Tap" / "Hold" variant for Pikachu's Back-Air? The "Hold" version could be the "Pikacopter" and the "Tap" version could be either the Smash 64 / Project M Back-Air OR Pikachu's vBrawl Back-Air. The 64 variant is better for Pikachu's kit, but if that is rejected, the vBrawl version would be good too. [AGentleStar]
That's my suggestion, I want credit :mad:

Rejnka

Certified All-Natural Pinkan Berry Saleschu
I don't see why Kirby should get a free throw alongside the copy ability.

Well, why not? It just compensates for a trick that was removed while ending the reason that trick was removed in the first place. Kirby could use a buff anyways.