Brawl Minus 4.0b is here!

Thor

It was a joke, no offense.

Even the best jokes get stale if they're overused.

BUT NOT FALCON'S KNEE

It would probably combo into an usmash if it did that. I think that you should have to cancel it before he reappears since a move that has an active hitbox that can be canceled into a grab is stupid. Lucario's DT is better than Pit's older Angel Ring now. We've already come to the conclusion that Lucario is really really good, even with no aura mechanic. I honestly think he should be heavier and keep his floatiness so that he can be comboed. Also Brawl's mechanics actually allow floaty and light characters to live longer than heavier floaty characters. Last night, Fiva's Lucario was living Peach fairs at 150 since survival DI made his trajectory more vertical rather than horizontal. Whatever we do, Lucario still needs to be toned down, or other characters brought up to where he is.

Comboing into usmash actually wouldn't bother me... really strong? YES. Safe on shield? NOPE [or it shouldn't be]. The point is that counter spam is currently viewed as too safe, and if you made it only cancellable with a smash attack, it would do a wonderful job of making counter more risky [and also more rewarding, where you want to convert into another move instead of just pressing counter again].

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
BUT NOT FALCON'S KNEE
The occasional "Yes" (on Knee) or "Show me ya moves" (on Falcon Dive) is not nearly as annoying as "Y-Y-You're too slow" or "C-C-Come on, st-C-C-C-Come on, step it up".

Spam is bad, and encouraging it is bad. It's not funny.

Maybe it's just the stuttering that bothers me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariosonicman1

well also think of it like a play stratagy for sonic. if sonic annoys his enemies, then hes gonna get them agitaited that they will mess up more or play more aggressively. making them play into sonics hand.
meaning more annoyences = more open hits.
besides. if you had fun fighting agenst a sonic. 1. then he would start to be way to predictable to fight. 2. somethings not right.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Since when is being annoying considered a desirable design trait, and "fun to fight against" an undesirable one? I don't get it. :(

While we're talking about Sonic:
His D-Air still kills too early at ledge-height or below. It stuns its target for too long -- we should be able to jump out of said stun sooner.
Ran the same test as last time, "Experiment E"... Sonic's D-Air isn't quite as deadly as it was, but it can still kill very early.

Hit by Sonic's D-Air at Final Destination ledge height, accounting for decent DI...

Captain Falcon cannot survive past ~11%.
DK cannot survive past ~25%.
R.O.B. cannot survive past ~36%.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Since when is being annoying considered a desirable design trait, and "fun to fight against" an undesirable one? I don't get it. :(

Boost's cooldown and Sonic's weight decrease was all to make him more fun to fight against. I don't think anyone else here finds Sonic's voice clip usage annoying in a way that makes him unenjoyable.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Boost's cooldown and Sonic's weight decrease was all to make him more fun to fight against.
True, and those changes are appreciated.

I don't think anyone else here finds Sonic's voice clip usage annoying in a way that makes him unenjoyable.
I guess I'm the only one that hates st-st-stuttering v-v-voice c-c-clips.

Sounds like someone has trouble against Sonic? lol
I don't get to fight many good Sonic players, so I wouldn't know.

Sounds like he's still universally thought of as "annoying to play against" in Minus, though... and that seems like a bad thing.

At any rate, Sonic's D-Air killing so early is a much bigger problem. Let's talk about that.

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I know Sonic can be annoying. I have a friend that plays him pretty well, but ultimately what it comes down to is reads considering i use slower characters (Ike, Bowser, Ganondorf). Generally the only way I end up losing is by some trickery like dair->footstool at low percents for example. But a well-developed mind game can have him zipping in places he wouldn't want to zip

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Sounds like he's still universally thought of as "annoying to play against" in Minus, though... and that seems like a bad thing.
He's not thought of universally as "Annoying to play against", he's just thought of as "annoying", and in this sense, "annoying" is a good thing that gives him more personality.

We'll look into dAir more for full release.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Bent 00
The gravity and fallspeed changes are a global, assembly level change to all characters attributes. Lucario is floaty in 4.0b because he's floaty in 3.Q, not because we gave him special attribute tweaks to keep him as a slow faller.

Edit:
has any1 by chance already played online with someone, does it mess up for any1 else?
Can you explain in more detail?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Bent 00
The gravity and fallspeed changes are a global, assembly level change to all characters attributes. Lucario is floaty in 4.0b because he's floaty in 3.Q, not because we gave him special attribute tweaks to keep him as a slow faller.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess its floatiness is just more noticeable to me, now that everyone falls a little faster. Some characters are affected by this more than others -- I could compare it to a tax increase, where heavies are poor and lightweights are rich. The heavies needed every bit of airtime they had in 3.Q, and now they have 10% less of it... while the floaters aren't bothered by the reduction at all; they still have plenty left.

Is the new 1.1x gravity most likely here to stay, or is it just experimental?

Does anyone think any of the cast feel too heavy now?

Cheetaboy

Bent 00

Edit:

do you think you could maybe try to play online with me, im not sure if it works for me, i tried to create a room for friends and it just froze

Cheetaboy

Bent 00

Edit:

I belive the glitch happened with 3 roys on screen when i tried, i restarted, and it works, do u still want to play though :p (PS do u know where i can find people to play?)

Swoosh_

i downloaded brawl minus and im almost 100% sure that i did it right but its still not working can anybody show me a picture of what the sd card should look like would really help

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
If you have three Roys on screen the issue is deeper than online play. I'd guess there's something wrong with your hook type, but it's hard to say; the hotfix we're releasing pretty soon will change how Roy and Pichu load, so if your hooktype is already AXNextFrame try seeing if the hotfix solves things.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
IF YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED 4.0b BEFORE SEPTEMBER 6TH
We have released a hotpatch that fixes a few minor bugs (BrawlEX 2.0 and the Knuckles Texture is added, the Battlefield Freeze/Muted glitch). In addition to this, we also added an Unlock All Stages Code. Please download this and replace the appropriate files with these fixed ones!

Download the hot patch here

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
i downloaded brawl minus and im almost 100% sure that i did it right but its still not working can anybody show me a picture of what the sd card should look like would really help
The root of the SD card should contain the folders Apps, Codes, and Private. Make sure you're extracting the contents of the 4.0b folder onto your SD card, not the folder itself.

Mariosonicman1

will the hotfix just replace the files it needs to? or will i have to do something complex again?