Custom Warlock Punch

How Should the Custom Warlock Punch's Cancel be?

• I.) Complex

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • II.) Simple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • III.) Taunt-Switched Modes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • IV.) Taunt Power Up

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • V.) Taunt Power Down

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • VI.) Taunt Gives Cancel

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • VII.) Aerial Cancel Only

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • VIII.) Taunt-Switched Modes EX

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I cannot hit the like button enough on Sammi's posts. I'm filing a formal complaint to this board's owner.

Seriously, if you guys pulled shit like this in PM's forums (or any forums, really), you'd more than likely just get banned for spamming and attempting to instigate others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

This is exactly what i have been saying. I believe not dying from offstage WP whiffing is wrong, regardless of condition.

It's as simple as that. Is what your suggesting that were somehow biased towards Ganons WP? Why on god's green earth would we be biased towards Ganon? Im done arguing my points. The bottom line is we don't want offstage instakill WP to be survivable on whiff. The reasons don't matter. I have given them many many times. And so have many others. It's not that our reasons don't hold water, it's that you won't accept them. And that's fine. BUT, we have given them. If it were someone else with an offstage instant kill move, we would treat it the same way.

The devs have made their decision, and even if our reason was "Because we say so" it should suffice. We develop this game the way we want. It's our work. We, the developers who put in the work, have the right to make the game how we want. Just like you have the right to complain about it.

...I said "Regardless of conditions", that is, hit or whiff, you should die.

Are you telling me if the punch lands you should still die? If so, ok, we'll agree to disagree. If no, then I was either blatantly unclear or you just didn't read what I said. My question was, regardless of conditions [that is, it hits or it whiffs], do you think Ganondorf should be punished for throwing a Warlock Punch offstage? If this isn't a yes, then your analogy doesn't make any sense [my original point].

Also what is the rationale for keeping this move exactly as is while airborne? I already suggested a faster, weaker punch in the air, or simply changing the move entirely [Pit's command glide, the different form of RR Bowser has while airborne...]. I think Mawtooad said something along the lines of "not weaker because we say so" [that is, we're determined that it remain useless unless you are playing someone atrocious at this game, or in extremely high endlag], but why can't we swap it for something different while airborne [I know we don't rip PM off, but say, something like a cape or float, or whatever]?

Go ahead and list them, and explain how they are contradictory or false. I haven't said anything contradictory whatsoever.

con·tra·dic·to·ry
ˌkäntrəˈdikt(ə)rē/
adjective
adjective: contradictory
  1. 1.
    mutually opposed or inconsistent.
    "the two attitudes are contradictory"
    synonyms: opposed, in opposition, opposite, antithetical, contrary, contrasting,conflicting, at variance, at odds, opposing, clashing, divergent,discrepant, different;
    • containing elements which are inconsistent or in conflict.
      "the committee rejected the policy as too vague and internally contradictory"
    • (of two propositions) so related that one and only one must be true

I don't think you have as many [any?] problems with it, but I know Glyph did (he said a while ago that the opponent would have to be impossibly bad, and then later that it would be broken to be able to throw it out for free - but it can't be broken if the opponent never gets hit by it, because it has to be something one can consistently land to be broken - see fast mortal draw. Or else that's like telling me a move that takes 5 minutes to wind up and wins you the game is completely broken - it's not broken in the slightest, since if you can't hit your opponent once in 5 minutes, you'd be impossibly bad).

I have to read a very large amount now. It's doubtful I'll be able to post anything else I find for a while, unless I do it every time I notice something else.

Also, "because we say so" would suggest that if everyone started hating Falco [or whomever], they'd just nerf him because they don't like him... I strongly dislike resorting to arguments from authority [I think Glyph felt this happened with ROB, though I will argue he had a disgusting MU spread (akin to Brawl MK's) which says we have to buff everyone but ROB or nerf ROB, and nerfing ROB was the easier choice given balance concerns among the cast. No such balance concerns exist here (given risk/reward/reliability analysis).]

7piq.png

The Doq has spoken, AGAIN.
(this is the 3rd NO I have given regarding this specific situation, and I will keep making the NO progressively larger until it is settled)

I like this NO think you're doing. You may have just given me a bizzare incentive, since I'm curious how large you can make these...

Also I love justadood's posters too.

EDIT: In other news, I've decided to look to do teams here, and always team with a Sonic player, so I can use his spring to throw offstage Warlock Punches. Because that's an option.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Also, "because we say so" would suggest that if everyone started hating Falco [or whomever], they'd just nerf him because they don't like him... I strongly dislike resorting to arguments from authority [I think Glyph felt this happened with ROB, though I will argue he had a disgusting MU spread (akin to Brawl MK's) which says we have to buff everyone but ROB or nerf ROB, and nerfing ROB was the easier choice given balance concerns among the cast. No such balance concerns exist here (given risk/reward/reliability analysis).]

I wasn't suggesting it's something we do, and im pretty sure we haven't done it ever. What i was saying is that from a realistic standpoint, we should be able to do whatever we want with the game we made, with or without reason. That being said, i don't particularly enjoy the concept and was only saying it as an extreme example of what most game developers exercise (even grassroots, such as PM).

My whole point in this discussion was just that we've given our reasons, and even though they may be rife with opinionated judgement and reasoning, they are still the decisions and feelings that were made by us as the developers. We don't need any other reasons than we just don't like the thought / design of it. (which is all I've been saying as the reason to why we made the decision to begin with.) I personally don't want to be a developer of a game that i love and feel pressured into making a decision that i think is bad game design. I never intended to (and don't believe i did?) offend anyone who is in favor of it. I only intended to specify that our main reason was just that we didn't like the concept. I don't intend to continue this discussion further though. I believe I've made my reasons clear, and don't think it's necessary any longer. Continue to discuss among yourselves though (as long as it's civil). Again, much love to you passionate peeps. I'll be around-

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The BR is Sakurai.
Thor and Bent are the fanbase.
Minus is Smash 4.
Warlock Punch is Ridley.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
I love how you guys complained to keep the ideas for ganon from the other thread and to keep them here instead, and then when the dev team comes in to read all they do is post big "NO" posters to talk over whatever we say, rather than be as patient as the multiple members here who continually make their arguments, rather than saying ~ shut up, you're wrong, we're right, because our rules, fuck you, you're all here to watch ~

EDIT: forget this, I'm done with minus talk for a while, I have a busy life and this is just me hitting my head against a concrete wall, hoping there's a reward behind it..

Thor

I love how you guys complained to keep the ideas for ganon from the other thread and to keep them here instead, and then when the dev team comes in to read all they do is post big "NO" posters to talk over whatever we say, rather than be as patient as the multiple members here who continually make their arguments, rather than saying ~ shut up, you're wrong, we're right, because our rules, fuck you, you're all here to watch ~

EDIT: forget this, I'm done with minus talk for a while, I have a busy life and this is just me hitting my head against a concrete wall, hoping there's a reward behind it..

Concussions, dood. You win a lot of concussions.

Glyph

They are entitled to their opinion, as is the dev team. Only reason I asked it be moved was because it was choking that thread when it had nothing to do with it.

Thought I will say to Sammi and Gold and the likes, just let them do it up. It's all sorts of clear that they're not coming around, so as long as they keep it to this thread I've got no problem with two people wanting something.

That being said, don't let me see it leak out of here again either.

Thor

They are entitled to their opinion, as is the dev team. Only reason I asked it be moved was because it was choking that thread when it had nothing to do with it.

Thought I will say to Sammi and Gold and the likes, just let them do it up. It's all sorts of clear that they're not coming around, so as long as they keep it to this thread I've got no problem with two people wanting something.

That being said, don't let me see it leak out of here again either.

Neither side is coming around, because either the arguments are ignored [risk/reward vs risk/reward/reliability - no one has provided a compelling reason for only risk/reward, when I've pointed out the flaws in it, and also noted that under the paradigm, risk/reward/reliability of a Warlock Punch is basically zero (1/risk * reward * reliability is the simple formula, so to speak, of how good a move is)], or because there is an ideological impasse [utter refusal to move from risk/reward].

This reminds me of starters/cps vs FLSS - everyone is like "I prefer it this way, therefore I'll ignore your arguments and restate mine, with bigger blocks of text if possible." Or they respond or offer compromises, but the responses get drowned out.

Glyph

If you boil your argument down into single points I'm happy to respond to it, but I don't think I'm going to be trading paragraphs anymore.

Thor

I think at this point, I'd better just do a thematic explanation of why I think this argument isn't going anywhere:

As was said in the "visions of minus" thread, everything is inconsistent. Our visions of moves are inconsistent.

How I view Warlock Punch: Broken in the sense of the word that Minus doesn't. People wanted to make the move better, so they gave it power, but it is still basically the most useless move in the game. The Gandouken was slapped in as a sort of "well here now it's got a very situational use against people with ridiculously slow projectiles, so... yeah...", but the Punch itself is still useless. It can't be used onstage unless your opponent just completely screws up [shield break is them completely screwing up, so is walking/running into it], and offstage you just die. People can try to use it for silly situations where the opponent has marginally less ability to navigate [i.e. offstage], but there you 100% die [instead of just having a huge risk of being zero-death'd as one of the easiest to zero-death characters in the game], so it's still useless. It looks cool to land, but the move itself has no purpose whatsoever in a competitive match, and while you can try to look cool, you'll die every time versus someone who understands how to avoid a move with about a second and a half of startup lag. Risk/reward/reliability - 1/risk * reward * reliability - 1/max [you die] * max [you land a KO] * 0 [should never happen] = ~0.

How devs view it: It OHKOs, so it's clearly broken to minus standards. If you aren't using it onstage, you die if you miss. But it's broken because it hits hard, so yeh. Broken. No changes.

I want utility from moves as I described in that forum, and currently, Warlock Punch's utility is about nil. People talk about style as if Warlock Punch is something you can conveniently hit offstage on a whim, so it should be easy to punish players for missing [or given for free]. This is Brawl Minus, not PM or Brawl, where recoveries suck and are very linear. This is Minus, where characters have huge mobility tools and everyone can effectively avoid the move [you'd have to have literally the worst timing ever to side+B into it as Falcon or 'Dorf, and those two are the easiest to hit with it, which is to say downright impossible]. And here's the thing - if Warlock Punch in the air had no endlag, it'd still be useless, but it has the illusion of utility. Frankly, I'd prefer replacing the move in air outright - it's the worst move that can be used in the air in the game [aerial sing is move useful since you can ground people, and aerial rest being frame 1 means you can combo into it or use it and hit an aerial opponent onstage - neither of those things can occur with Warlock Punch]. But from risk/reward/reliability, 1/max * max * 0 is going to be zero, or very very close to zero, meaning the move still just plain sucks.

The other half is that I think people should earn their punishments - Minus is the easiest smash mod to punish laggy startup in, since most characters move very fast or have burst movement options [or both] and have hard-hitting punishes, plus those characters have insane recovery to easily get around edgeguarding [only compensated by stronger edgeguarding tools]. The addition of an OHC tells me "you're clearly not good enough to KO Ganondorf for doing this, so we'll do it for you" and that message is the opposite of what I think Minus should send, namely "they tried to do this to you - how are you gonna pay them back!?"

These differences arise because we have different views of Minus, and different ways of assessing how good a move is. While I'm firmly convinced risk/reward/reliability is superior to risk/reward, and that therefore a cancel on Warlock Punch in the air would still leave it useless, it still would only be a slightly cooler useless, a "hey I can try to do this" instead of "this cancel might as well not exist." But the real problem is that our vision of Minus is different. I want Minus to be silly and serious at once, and I think the cancel embodies that perfectly ["Why would you ever do that?" "Because you can." "But it sucks!" "But I can."], much as Wario's up+B, Falcon Punch, Luigi's side+b, and more are also serious and silly [farting to recover - practical, but it's silly, charging up a fast punch is silly, as is the slow animation on connection, and always misfires are silly but serve an important purpose - recovery]. I think the dev team has moved away from the silly [and is also convinced that simply the existence of an OHKO, even if it never lands, means it's broken - though it should be obvious that a character who has only such OHKO moves is terrible, so having one such move is a wasted slot].

In conclusion, my suggestions for a change I would be happy with [any one of these will do]:
- Aerial no endlag
- Aerial upward momentum added [and no, not a flub hitbox]
- Punch and Gandouken both always come out, OHC left as is
- Doing a taunt gives the next Warlock Punch no endlag [not projectile, just punch]
- Faster/weaker punch in air
- Different move entirely when used in mid-air [ala Pit's side+b]
- Speed up the animation (startup, could do endlag too but I don't think it's needed), remove punch hitbox entirely, only a projectile
- Possibly other things I haven't considered [suggestions for changes the devs could make are fine by me]
- [Big maybe] Warlock Blade instead, to extend its range? [OHC left as is, I guess... this still doesn't sit that well with me, but it WOULD be more palatable...]

Any of the above would be an improvement over Warlock Punch as is, at least from where I stand.

Glyph

I think at this point, I'd better just do a thematic explanation of why I think this argument isn't going anywhere:

As was said in the "visions of minus" thread, everything is inconsistent. Our visions of moves are inconsistent.

How I view Warlock Punch: Broken in the sense of the word that Minus doesn't. People wanted to make the move better, so they gave it power, but it is still basically the most useless move in the game. The Gandouken was slapped in as a sort of "well here now it's got a very situational use against people with ridiculously slow projectiles, so... yeah...", but the Punch itself is still useless.

Blatantly untrue. If this move is so hard to land onstage to the point where you'd call it useless, how on earth would it ever be MORE likely to land offstage where both characters are in motion? That's not to mention that a hard enough read can land a warlock punch. It's uncommon, but that's how it's supposed to be given that you're guaranteed a stock outside of them managing to tech.

It can't be used onstage unless your opponent just completely screws up [shield break is them completely screwing up, so is walking/running into it],

And? In what context would it make sense to have a guaranteed move that you could reliably set up into?

and offstage you just die. People can try to use it for silly situations where the opponent has marginally less ability to navigate [i.e. offstage], but there you 100% die [instead of just having a huge risk of being zero-death'd as one of the easiest to zero-death characters in the game], so it's still useless. It looks cool to land, but the move itself has no purpose whatsoever in a competitive match, and while you can try to look cool, you'll die every time versus someone who understands how to avoid a move with about a second and a half of startup lag.

Jeez it almost sounds like going for warlock punch offstage is just kind of a bad idea in the first place. Like how going for sing offstage is a bad idea in the first place. Or how using most recovery moves away from the ledge is a bad idea.

Some moves are a bad idea to use offstage, you dummies.

Risk/reward/reliability - 1/risk * reward * reliability - 1/max [you die] * max [you land a KO] * 0 [should never happen] = ~0.

This is LITERALLY nonsense gibberish without defined variables and scales. There is no equation for whether or not a move makes sense. Save yourself and everyone else the trouble and don't come back to this.

How devs view it: It OHKOs, so it's clearly broken to minus standards. If you aren't using it onstage, you die if you miss. But it's broken because it hits hard, so yeh. Broken. No changes.

I want utility from moves as I described in that forum, and currently, Warlock Punch's utility is about nil. People talk about style as if Warlock Punch is something you can conveniently hit offstage on a whim, so it should be easy to punish players for missing [or given for free]. This is Brawl Minus, not PM or Brawl, where recoveries suck and are very linear. This is Minus, where characters have huge mobility tools and everyone can effectively avoid the move [you'd have to have literally the worst timing ever to side+B into it as Falcon or 'Dorf, and those two are the easiest to hit with it, which is to say downright impossible]. And here's the thing - if Warlock Punch in the air had no endlag, it'd still be useless, but it has the illusion of utility. Frankly, I'd prefer replacing the move in air outright - it's the worst move that can be used in the air in the game [aerial sing is move useful since you can ground people, and aerial rest being frame 1 means you can combo into it or use it and hit an aerial opponent onstage - neither of those things can occur with Warlock Punch]. But from risk/reward/reliability, 1/max * max * 0 is going to be zero, or very very close to zero, meaning the move still just plain sucks.

A move that is literally the embodiment of power doesn't GET to have utility too. I get that you guys don't like that it's strictly power, but sorry you're going to have to deal with it.

The other half is that I think people should earn their punishments - Minus is the easiest smash mod to punish laggy startup in, since most characters move very fast or have burst movement options [or both] and have hard-hitting punishes, plus those characters have insane recovery to easily get around edgeguarding [only compensated by stronger edgeguarding tools]. The addition of an OHC tells me "you're clearly not good enough to KO Ganondorf for doing this, so we'll do it for you" and that message is the opposite of what I think Minus should send, namely "they tried to do this to you - how are you gonna pay them back!?"

Thor...if you land the punch (which is the only way to trigger the on hit cancel), what happens to your opponent? They -can't- punish, they're too busy being blasted into oblivion. You don't get to respond to something like that.

Your rhetoric there also heavily argues against adding safety to the move, so I'm not sure what you're even shooting to say in this part.

These differences arise because we have different views of Minus, and different ways of assessing how good a move is. While I'm firmly convinced risk/reward/reliability is superior to risk/reward, and that therefore a cancel on Warlock Punch in the air would still leave it useless, it still would only be a slightly cooler useless, a "hey I can try to do this" instead of "this cancel might as well not exist." But the real problem is that our vision of Minus is different. I want Minus to be silly and serious at once, and I think the cancel embodies that perfectly ["Why would you ever do that?" "Because you can." "But it sucks!" "But I can."], much as Wario's up+B, Falcon Punch, Luigi's side+b, and more are also serious and silly [farting to recover - practical, but it's silly, charging up a fast punch is silly, as is the slow animation on connection, and always misfires are silly but serve an important purpose - recovery]. I think the dev team has moved away from the silly [and is also convinced that simply the existence of an OHKO, even if it never lands, means it's broken - though it should be obvious that a character who has only such OHKO moves is terrible, so having one such move is a wasted slot].

And you have every right to that opinion. But take a step back and realize that the BRoom, that has infamously been divided on nigh every topic (that's an exaggeration for effect here) is completely unified that this is a bad idea. Not because of bias against Ganon (or, lol, that they're afraid of the move. Come on Thor, that's just ... lol) but because the move already has a very clearly defined role and it fills it perfectly.

In conclusion, my suggestions for a change I would be happy with [any one of these will do]:
- Aerial no endlag
- Aerial upward momentum added [and no, not a flub hitbox]
- Punch and Gandouken both always come out, OHC left as is
- Doing a taunt gives the next Warlock Punch no endlag [not projectile, just punch]
- Faster/weaker punch in air
- Different move entirely when used in mid-air [ala Pit's side+b]
- Speed up the animation (startup, could do endlag too but I don't think it's needed), remove punch hitbox entirely, only a projectile
- Possibly other things I haven't considered [suggestions for changes the devs could make are fine by me]
- [Big maybe] Warlock Blade instead, to extend its range? [OHC left as is, I guess... this still doesn't sit that well with me, but it WOULD be more palatable...]

Any of the above would be an improvement over Warlock Punch as is, at least from where I stand.

First off, you're right! Any of those WOULD be an improvement over how warlock punch is. But you know what else would be an improvement? If ROB's up-b never ran out of fuel. Or if bowser's fair did 80%. Just because something is better doesn't mean it's a good idea.

None of these are going to happen in official minus. Not because of anything against you or Bent, but because they are poor ideas attempting to fix a problem that isn't real. Ganon does not 'deserve' to be able to use his punch offstage. You don't balance moves for 'style'. If you want to punch a goon offstage, do it, but be ready to pay for it with a stock. Or, use a move that IS capable of being used offstage. Ganon's got plenty of solid options as is, the punch covers no new areas and is literally already outclassed by nigh any aerial he has.

THAT is the last I'm ever going to say on it. The next time I see this brought up (outside of for you guys personal use) I won't hesitate to let the mod powers do the talking instead.

Thor

*Edited because spacing was weird.

Blatantly untrue. If this move is so hard to land onstage to the point where you'd call it useless, how on earth would it ever be MORE likely to land offstage where both characters are in motion? That's not to mention that a hard enough read can land a warlock punch. It's uncommon, but that's how it's supposed to be given that you're guaranteed a stock outside of them managing to tech.

The thing is, it's impossible. Link has deku nuts and actual ability to generate shield breaks. 'Dorf has neither. And EVEN IF 'Dorf could generate shield breaks, it's generally simple counterplay to avoid them [note how rarely shield breaks occur in 64, despite the relative ease there].

And? In what context would it make sense to have a guaranteed move that you could reliably set up into?

See above.

Jeez it almost sounds like going for warlock punch offstage is just kind of a bad idea in the first place. Like how going for sing offstage is a bad idea in the first place. Or how using most recovery moves away from the ledge is a bad idea.

Some moves are a bad idea to use offstage, you dummies.

So is Falcon Punch. So is Raptor Boost. So is Flame Choke. So is Ganondorf's tipman uair. So is Melee utilt. So is Falco usmash. So is comboing Firefox into uair.

People do those things anyway, because they can. I don't think Minus should actively strive to limit the player - I think it should leave the player to do the dumbest things imaginable, because they can. The question here never was "should", and you're intentionally misdirecting the discussion. Ganondorf should never use anything other than dair or the more powerful of fair/bair offstage, or else the very top of uair/dark dive, but he has a nair and uair and other moves and those are used too anyway.

I don't think Minus should seek to limit the player [that's one thing I forgot]. So this is another ideological dispute we can't really resolve.

This is LITERALLY nonsense gibberish without defined variables and scales. There is no equation for whether or not a move makes sense. Save yourself and everyone else the trouble and don't come back to this.

You can write up any equation you want. I did define it though - there is no move riskier in Minus than Warlock Punch [max], there is no move more rewarding that Warlock Punch [max], and there is no more unreliable move than Warlock Punch [0 reliability].

IN ANY CASE, everyone has been using "risk/reward" as the means to defend making the move terrible. They are IGNORING that the move is totally unreliable, and THEREFORE failing to acknowledge the fundamental flaw of "risk/reward" analysis as it pertains to Smash moves. Once again, if I made a character of only OHKOs, people in here would say "not that bad, high risk, high reward", but I say "TERRIBLE! Zero reliability, so risk/reward is irrelevant - can't ever land a hit, can't win!"

If you can't follow this line of logic, then you might as well just quit, but if you can, then even if my reductionist calculation should have another formula, the point remains that the utter unusability of Warlock Punch in any situation renders it useless. I want the illusion of usefulness [or actual usefulness], and people here are determined to make it useless anyway.

A move that is literally the embodiment of power doesn't GET to have utility too. I get that you guys don't like that it's strictly power, but sorry you're going to have to deal with it.

Minus is "if it ain't broken [in the good way], break it until it gets better". Warlock Punch is broken in a bad way. To not make it better in some manner or another is fundamentally anti-Minus, at least as I see it. As it stands, power is the worst thing in this game to have, and utility the best [where Falco's dair doesn't do much damage, where Link's rang doesn't do much damage, but they are ridiculously broken moves for having low risk and high utility - Minus has no sense of balancing around the risk, usefulness, and power of a move, and I think this is quite frankly very bad].

Thor...if you land the punch (which is the only way to trigger the on hit cancel), what happens to your opponent? They -can't- punish, they're too busy being blasted into oblivion. You don't get to respond to something like that.

Your rhetoric there also heavily argues against adding safety to the move, so I'm not sure what you're even shooting to say in this part.

You're either deliberately misconstruing my argument or just got lost. If you land the punch, duh they can't punish, that's how Minus works. My point is that on whiff, they deserve the opportunity to punish. I want the move to be safe enough to not die if no one is pressuring you, because it's the opponent's job to punish people for mistakes or arrogance. I want stylish punishes and Ganondorfs regretting their decision because they got rekt, not because they whiffed. Currently the only source of punishment is "I whiffed", and that's lame.

And you have every right to that opinion. But take a step back and realize that the BRoom, that has infamously been divided on nigh every topic (that's an exaggeration for effect here) is completely unified that this is a bad idea. Not because of bias against Ganon (or, lol, that they're afraid of the move. Come on Thor, that's just ... lol) but because the move already has a very clearly defined role and it fills it perfectly.

The worst move in the game? Why would they pick something awesome and reduce it to nothing? That's just dumb.

First off, you're right! Any of those WOULD be an improvement over how warlock punch is. But you know what else would be an improvement? If ROB's up-b never ran out of fuel. Or if bowser's fair did 80%. Just because something is better doesn't mean it's a good idea.

None of these are going to happen in official minus. Not because of anything against you or Bent, but because they are poor ideas attempting to fix a problem that isn't real. Ganon does not 'deserve' to be able to use his punch offstage. You don't balance moves for 'style'. If you want to punch a goon offstage, do it, but be ready to pay for it with a stock. Or, use a move that IS capable of being used offstage. Ganon's got plenty of solid options as is, the punch covers no new areas and is literally already outclassed by nigh any aerial he has.

THAT is the last I'm ever going to say on it. The next time I see this brought up (outside of for you guys personal use) I won't hesitate to let the mod powers do the talking instead.

But none of the changes I suggested would break anything. Bowser fair being 80% is broken because you can actually land the move, ROB being ungimpable is broken because it becomes hit up+B to not die. As I said above, the move would STILL be useless with these changes, it would just be ever so slightly less so. You straw-manning my arguments and ideas doesn't make you look smart or right - it just makes you look very close-minded.

Based on what I said and your response, you also appear to have read at most half of my suggestions.

If it's outclassed by everything, why can't it be an option? Are people really scared of opponents taking suboptimal options?

At lest Smash 4 gave it armor, and utilt a huge hitbox for edgeguarding. Were Minus so cool to do something similar. Raw power never has been a substitute for making something not-useless, and it never will be.

Thor

Lol what did I expect. Have fun with your custom version.

I think you expected something different out of your arguments.

I have not been arguing to try to "be right" nearly as much as I have been arguing to persuade people of my opinion. I think you have been trying to "be right" more than you've been trying to persuade.

The truth is, there IS no right answer - it could be in, it could be out, and there are definitely reasons for both. I have attempted to weigh the pros and cons and have come to the conclusion it would be a good thing in Minus, feeling that most counterarguments are flawed. You have done the same and concluded it would be a bad thing in Minus, feeling that what I argue is mostly flawed..

This is why I basically always try to refrain from insults - insults are an attempt to prove superiority, and not the persuasiveness of the argument. In resorting to insults, one gives up the persuasive nature of debate and simply attempts to claim "rightness" when such a thing is.

I am unsure, but to anyone who is on the fence [there really might be no one, but I'll go out on a limb and tag @Glitch ], I encourage you to read the thread and come up with your own opinion, based on both your own prior experiences and the arguments presented.

Although I think I risk infraction, I am very much considering a thread not for debate, or for change, but only to ask a simple question: Should Warlock Punch receive some sort of change? The answers would be yes and no, with subtypes for yes indicating possible changes [cancel, momentum, move functionality changed, etc.] I would not be seeking to generate debate, or to attempt to change dev minds, but only to see where the Minus community stands on the issue. I am currently under the impression that we are basically split slightly favoring no cancel, but I am interested to see what votes are.

I also know for sure that everyone in every casual playgroup I've been in thinks the cancel is amazing and were highly disappointed when it was removed. Perhaps it is a casual/competitive mindset difference, where my empathy for both simply leads me to think "Eh, no harm and it's fun, put it in." [That is a loaded statement in that "no harm" is what is contested here.]

In either case, we've agreed to disagree. I'll see what Bent cooks up and see what I put in my build, be it vanilla or some version of a cancel/momentum/changed neutral+B.

NEWB

Ganon can break shields with his utilt in 3.5, which is going back in.

You're telling me people should just be able to do whatever the hell they want as long as they don't get punished by an opponent? I suppose you just want to jump off the stage and just float there, not dying untill someone meteors you? That is basically your philosophy and smash doesn't work that way. Smash is the only fighting game that I know of that you can intentionally and without assistance kill yourself. If you jump off the stage and throw out the wrong move and don't recoever, you die. That is by design and entirely your fault. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it ought to be changed when that is a core element of the game that makes smash unique from all other fighting games. This is the game's way of telling you that you are supposed to try and stay onstage and be the last man standing. You can't just throw out whatever move you want in the because you aren't supposed to.

While we are poking holes in arguments, yours has another fairly large one. You think you know smash as well as risk and reward but you have forgotten entirely that smash doesn't have one layer of fighting but two. That is onstage gameplay and offstage gameplay. You listed a bunch of moves earlier in the other thread that you claimed had no risk when that is utter nonsense. All the aerials you mentioned can easily be punished with outspacing and shield grabs onstage. Offstage the attacks themselves have no risk because you aren't usually in danger of being punished for them. What you do risk EVERYTIME you jump off the stage to hit an opponent is not being able to get back. That's why you have moves designed to hit people that are onstage (ground based attacks) and moves designed to attack airborne foes (aerials). Warlock punch is a ground based attack that can be used in the air only so that he can start it in the air and finish it on the ground. The endlag is there and his recovery is poor enough to convey to the player that this move isn't meant to be used offstage you die.

That's it. This is minus but no matter how you look at it, it's smash before anything else.

And now I can mostly understand why my techroll off edges idea was scrapped.

Thor

Ganon can break shields with his utilt in 3.5, which is going back in.

Oh that's cool.

You're telling me people should just be able to do whatever the hell they want as long as they don't get punished by an opponent? I suppose you just want to jump off the stage and just float there, not dying untill someone meteors you? That is basically your philosophy and smash doesn't work that way. Smash is the only fighting game that I know of that you can intentionally and without assistance kill yourself. If you jump off the stage and throw out the wrong move and don't recoever, you die. That is by design and entirely your fault. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it ought to be changed when that is a core element of the game that makes smash unique from all other fighting games. This is the game's way of telling you that you are supposed to try and stay onstage and be the last man standing. You can't just throw out whatever move you want in the because you aren't supposed to.

There are jump specs problems. If everyone could float we'd be DBZ [DBZ mode confirmed???]. Warlock Punch is still the only move that is primarily offensive in nature AND can't be recovered from if you miss.

I can and do that quite frequently, with Falcon Punch, Link's dair, and other moves offstage. When I'm trying to have fun. If I'm playing a serious match this occurs basically never. I'm interested in the cancel because it's fun and it's silly. Not being able to do stupid, funny stuff in FFAs is boring and moots the point of them [in my opinion]. FFAs I think are for fun, silly stuff, and the cancel was fun and silly. Now Warlock Punch is just... meh.

You're straw-manning my argument. My point is that you should be able to go offstage and throw out some version of any attack and return to stage if no one is stopping you [at the very least attacks that have small hitboxes]. Every character except Ganondorf can do that as of now [no version of Warlock Punch, punch or projectile, can do that]. I think that's worth changing.

Also Warlock Punch forcing SDs isn't a core mechanic - it's just how one move functions, and I think it should function differently.

Also the game's risk/reward/reliability means going offstage for edgeguards is by nature more rewarding [but riskier] than staying onstage [run off fair vs dtilt the ledge - run off fair is generally much more useful as Ike than trying to clip someone's hands.] So no, you aren't supposed to just stay onstage. It's more like King of the Hill, and currently, the Punch literally launches you off the hill at high speeds, instead of you giving up the hill to try to extend your lead on the hill.

I have also incidentally intentionally KO'd myself [charity]. I'm not saying remove that, I'm saying remove an automatic death sentence for missing a move offstage when you were onstage. Give me the chance to punish my opponent, force player interaction. We could also kill Ike every time he missed Eruption when fully charged, for using an OHKO move and missing he deserves to die, right? I disagree with that as well - it has long charge time and it is not terribly fast, so I guess self-damage is fine (...), but KOing him would seem excessive to me, and I'd ask for removal of that too.

While we are poking holes in arguments, yours has another fairly large one. You think you know smash as well as risk and reward but you have forgotten entirely that smash doesn't have one layer of fighting but two. That is onstage gameplay and offstage gameplay. You listed a bunch of moves earlier in the other thread that you claimed had no risk when that is utter nonsense. All the aerials you mentioned can easily be punished with outspacing and shield grabs onstage. Offstage the attacks themselves have no risk because you aren't usually in danger of being punished for them. What you do risk EVERYTIME you jump off the stage to hit an opponent is not being able to get back. That's why you have moves designed to hit people that are onstage (ground based attacks) and moves designed to attack airborne foes (aerials). Warlock punch is a ground based attack that can be used in the air only so that he can start it in the air and finish it on the ground. The endlag is there and his recovery is poor enough to convey to the player that this move isn't meant to be used offstage you die.

That's it. This is minus but no matter how you look at it, it's smash before anything else.

And now I can mostly understand why my techroll off edges idea was scrapped.

The risk of them is low. Yeah you can shieldgrab aerials - you can counterplay around every single attack. But Falco's dair can be safe on shield, a bunch of other stuff can be safe when spaced properly... none of that is true at all with Warlock Punch [you can't safely throw a Warlock Punch or Gandouken vs anyone except maybe a crosstage Bowser on New Pork City or something like that - yes it's "safe on shields" so to speak, but it's never usable in the first palce]. Also, if you asked someone, is Falco's dair risky compared to Warlock Punch, they'd say not at all.

I'd also swear I didn't say zero risk onstage and off, but just "practically" zero risk. If I hadn't said that, thank you for pointing that out [a case of brevity over clarity]. I can edit that in if needed. There is a risk associated with every move, but only with Warlock Punch is the risk at a maximum AND the reliability at (for clarity over brevity, add modifier "basically") zero. I think that's a problem.

All that said, the hole in my argument has now been mostly patched [thank you for pointing it out]. Restated - risk/reward/reliability onstage and offstage of Warlock Punch both have very similar stats - max risk, no reliability, one stock reward. Other moves like Falco's dair, are generally low risk [if you're not blindly attacking, you can see to land and grab or runa way - shoutouts to tomahawk grabs], high reward [force meteor cancel, gimp. or combo starter at most percents/damage], and high reliability [it's easy to hit his dair, relative to hitting other moves]. I think this is still miscalculation on the design, and that Warlock Punch is consequently a terrible move [the worst in MInus, actually]. That's why I want it changed.

Him dying offstage is not an absolute of Smash, it's a side-effect of how things are currently coded. And I think that the message you want to convey is not a good message to convey, which is where the disagreement stems from.

It is Smash - where if you can recover from it, you can do it [but you put yourself at risk]. That's why I want some sort of change to allow some version of Ganondorf neutral+B to be usable offstage.

Not sure what this has to do with techrolls offstage.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Okay this is it.

I appreciate your support for Brawl Minus' continuing development, and I am impressed by your dedication to the flying Warlock Punch. HOWEVER I would like to point out that debate over this has been going on for LITERALLY ELEVEN MONTHS NOW and the dev team has declined the proposal MANY MANY TIMES and provided explanations for each. Whether you agree with our reasons or not is up to you, however because we are the ones putting our time aside to make Minus 4.0 happen in the first place, I think it is fair and Just that you respect our reasoning, regardless of if you agree with them or not and please, for the love of Minus, MOVE ON. A lot of characters have received changes that make them change up their tactics, but we have not had ELEVEN MONTHS OF SILLY DEBATES over them.

The discussion is closed, thread locked, and until things settle down on the matter bringing this matter up again in other threads will result in a short ban. This should have never elevated to this level, but there's a point where dedication becomes sheer stubbornness and refusal to listen, and we have far passed that point.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I'm gonna try one of these out, but I don't know which one to try. Which would you recommend, Bent?
Cancellable Warlock Punch is a lot of fun, but it's not as balanced. 'Dorf can fly! Damage: 66, KBG: 50. Flub Damage: 10

Safe Flying Warlock Punch is still fun, and more balanced. It retains the OHKO, but loses the Cancel. Damage: 666, KBG: 100. Flub Damage: 20

I personally use Safe Flying Warlock Punch. I'm working on a new version, though.

Thor

My apologies for getting your thread locked Bent.

Out of curiosity, is there a way for you to make a version exactly the same as current 3.Q (or upcoming 4.0), except it always cancels in the air [i.e. it's not an OHC but just an aerial cancel]? If so, I think that's what I'd use.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
My apologies for getting your thread locked Bent.
Don't worry about it. I appreciate the support. We just can't ask for it in official builds anymore. :/

Out of curiosity, is there a way for you to make a version exactly the same as current 3.Q (or upcoming 4.0), except it always cancels in the air [i.e. it's not an OHC but just an aerial cancel]? If so, I think that's what I'd use.
Probably. I'll see what I can do.

You know why I like the upward momentum better than the Cancel, though? Cancelling such a strong move on hit just feels weird to me.

It's like...

WHAM*boop* (where'd all that power go?)

Whereas the upwards momentum with no Cancel is like...

WHAMMMmmm (hits like a train!)

It's similar to Little Mac's Neutral B in Smash 4, charged up all the way. Even if it hits, it has massive endlag -- but that feels right since it's so powerful. Imagine if he could Cancel it on-hit. That would be weird.

Has anyone here heard of Sticky Friction? It's a game design philosophy I'm a fan of.

Status
Not open for further replies.