Brawl Minus 4.0b is here!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I have to ask, why do certain characters have special taunts that seem unnecessary? Such as Captain Falcon's magnetic side-taunt, Ganon's invincible dtaunt, and Wolf's 5% damage salute? Meanwhile characters like ZSS have taunts with zero gimmicks?

I'm just curious, because where some characters have reasonable taunts, or otherwise taunts that have a practical use, like Jigglypuff's, Mario's (side-taunt; utaunt's SA seems almost meaningless), and Lucario's, some characters seem to lack any taunts at all. I think it's reasonable to at least add flinching hitboxes to certain character taunts, or make certain stupid/cool looking ones better.

For example, ZSS' gun/whip could be deal flinching electrical damage. Or Bowser could be invincible while performing his dTaunt (which I personally hate because it's almost identical to his teetering animation, and is almost entirely uncharacteristic of Bowser; imo it should be replaced with something like his fist-pounding idle animation as did PM). I think it would be cool to Ike some sort of taunt action return considering he no longer has NSM. Perhaps he could have small, weak windboxes on each of his taunts that visually create wind (most notably his utaunt and dtaunt)?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Today on Brawl Minus Media: Special Taunts! Let's interview some of our fighters.

"How are your taunts different in Brawl Minus? What makes them so special?"

Captain Falcon: "I can charge my Falcon Punch to release it instantly later, and I can use the Falcon Force to pull opponents towards me."

Ganondorf: "No one can harm me while I hold my blade up high."

Link: "Hyaah, saiyahh!" ["With my Mortal Draw, I can KO enemies with a single stroke!"]

Lucario: "I power up by hurting myself."

Jigglypuff: "Jigglypuff Jig Jiggly, puff Jigglypuff." ["I can deflate to push others away with wind, and use Gravity to yank down aerial foes."]

Sonic: "You're too slow! You're too slow! C'mon, c'mon, step it up! Tch!" (repeats for three minutes)

Mario: "It's-a me, Metal Mario, wa-hoo!"

Luigi: "Pow pow; double fireball! I can dance-a, too."

Fox: "Here I come -- surprise Fire Fox!"

Falco: "My blaster can fire lasers at two different speeds."

Snake: "I can hide under my cardboard box in three different ways, and slide around on my ass."

"...Er, okay then! Let's give a big thanks to the cast for the interview!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
Fun things are fun.
Doesn't really explain the other 95% of what I asked about :/

I understand that they're fun because I like the ones that actually serve some practical use like some of the ones listed above, save for Fox's for example, bc it's really no different than up-bing straight upwards and it's unlikely a person would be baited into recovering above you while you're doing the proper taunt...

Also, Ganondorf's invinicibility is really only helpful if you want to take hits for a few frames instead of dodging, which is sometimes useful if you're not so sure how to time a dodge for longer moves like Charizard's fireball, Roy's Flare Blade, or Ike's Eruption.

Apparently I didn't make it clear but I just wanted to know why it wasn't considered to at least apply the same minimalistic ideas on other characters?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariosonicman1

im pretty sure not every single character in this game needs to have a taunt that does an effect, the ones that do have an effect does something to make a taunt to that player unique. if every character was to have an effect from the taunt, then it wouldn't be unique

Thor

The other half of the problem is that it's hard to actually figure out cool effects to put on character's taunts... Falco got the mode switch on his taunt because it gives people fast AND slow lasers, but it's very arguably non-intuitive, and frankly, I can't think of any cool effects to put on any of his taunts [love this one though].

Similarly, I have no idea what they'd put on, for instance, Sheik's taunts.

Devs have to find an idea, test it to make sure it's not something "too good" [RIP DK healing taunt (although I disagree that was too good, but w/e)], and then code it in.

[Incidentally, the only secret taunt I'd want for ZSS would be a taunt that turns her back into power suit Samus, but I don't know if that's feasible... and if somehow cancelling it left behind any amount of armor, I'm sure many people would complain it's "OP", even though such a taunt would have decent startup and long duration, making it likely very punishable. With no armor left behind it might be workable, but that's possibly extra coding...]

Valravn

Can one of meta knight's taunts give him/his opponent a beam sword? If we're not giving him back the Fthrow sword, anywho. Extra points if it gives opponent(s) beam sword, but I have no clue how to make that happen.

Roy could have a 'Melee mode' taunt where all of his attacks do half knockback for some time. Could be dopenasty for combos.

I don't know why Zelda doesn't have a green tunic or a slingshot or anything, but I'm sure a taunt could fix that. :rolleyes:

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i don't know if it's just me, but my biggest gripe with the brawl minus "splash" art (as my group calls it) is the character tiles. i think if the tiles were vBrawl layout with minus art, it'd be a good set

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Suggestions for new and improved taunts should probably go in a dedicated thread. Do we have one of those posted yet?

Too bad taunts are at the bottom of the priority list, even now.

I know there are much more important issues, but every character deserves a Minus Style taunt...

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
So... Raichu wasn't really added, then? Nor was Mewtwo?
Sad.
I think I'll keep the the things I have. I prefer 3.Q
Roy, Toon Link.
Both changes I do not approve. Which are my mains.

I enjoy spamming the battlefield with arrows, thus making it so I control the field.
And Roy... I dunno, personally. We'll have to see.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
So... Raichu wasn't really added, then? Nor was Mewtwo?
Sad.
I think I'll keep the the things I have. I prefer 3.Q
Roy, Toon Link.
Both changes I do not approve. Which are my mains.

I enjoy spamming the battlefield with arrows, thus making it so I control the field.
And Roy... I dunno, personally. We'll have to see.
The time limit on TL's arrows aren't really a big deal for him since he can set them back up really quick.

Thor

The time limit on TL's arrows aren't really a big deal for him since he can set them back up really quick.

The real downside is that they no longer can be used effectively for edgeguarding... planting them on the ledge or just below it was quite satisfying, and now that is pretty useless.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
The real downside is that they no longer can be used effectively for edgeguarding... planting them on the ledge or just below it was quite satisfying, and now that is pretty useless.
They're still on the ledge for 15 seconds, that's plenty of time. Just not a free ledge guard anymore.

Thor

They're still on the ledge for 15 seconds, that's plenty of time. Just not a free ledge guard anymore.

I'd usually set them up during MMMs between stocks actually... after the KO, set an arrow on the ledge, and then deal with remembering to count arrows [if I fire 3, I either fire a fourth and lose the ledge arrow or make do without arrows temporarily]. Tink can still do it I guess, but now it seems less effective.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
You mean less free. Its effectiveness hasn't changed at all.

Thor

You mean less free. Its effectiveness hasn't changed at all.

Well, sort of.

The point of setting up arrows in between stocks is to augment TL's ability to gimp. If they last 15 seconds, you either need to set them up for an edgeguard in the next 15 seconds [not impossible] or else spend time that you could spend edgeguarding setting up arrows. Toon Link's edgeguarding game is already strong enough that if he is setting up arrows on the stage when he could be pursuing them with bombs, boomerangs, or aerials [zair dair is a true combo I believe], he is probably wasting his time.

In that sense then, this time limit makes his edgeguarding game less effective, because he is either using an almost certainly suboptimal edgeguard, or he is not benefitting from the presence of arrows. The arrows themselves aren't less effective though, you are 100% correct there, but sticking them on the stage is a lot more situational.

Mariosonicman1

somehow i lost notification of this fourm, lets fix that,

anyways. has a fourm for minus taunts/victorys been made yet so i can add some ideas into it?

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Well, sort of.

The point of setting up arrows in between stocks is to augment TL's ability to gimp. If they last 15 seconds, you either need to set them up for an edgeguard in the next 15 seconds [not impossible] or else spend time that you could spend edgeguarding setting up arrows. Toon Link's edgeguarding game is already strong enough that if he is setting up arrows on the stage when he could be pursuing them with bombs, boomerangs, or aerials [zair dair is a true combo I believe], he is probably wasting his time.

In that sense then, this time limit makes his edgeguarding game less effective, because he is either using an almost certainly suboptimal edgeguard, or he is not benefitting from the presence of arrows. The arrows themselves aren't less effective though, you are 100% correct there, but sticking them on the stage is a lot more situational.

It makes them more of a choice than an obligation. Setting up between stocks is too free to protect the ledge, which is not something anyone should be able to do. Setting one up on the ledge while someone is off stage makes it part of his edge guarding tools, and it becomes a choice of committing to the chase or setting up for their return, making them very valuable no matter the situation. Besides, no character can just stay off stage for 15 seconds to wait out the timer and be able to safely recover.