Brawl Minus 3.Q is all Qued up and ready to go!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Thor, I know about vectoring. I was referring to the major lack of hitstun in SM4SH. There are some (puny) combos at low percents, but IMO they pale in comparison to Minus combos.

Aether, If you mean cut characters, the only other cuts were Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.

I'm not glad that any of the cut characters are gone, but the only one I really miss is Snake. They're gone, guys -- the most you can hope for is for them to return as DLC.

NEWB

Snake will be most missed. Grenades were fun to play with.

At least items are a bazillion times better in smash 4. Let's all agree on that.

DubLTeamz

Master of Arbitrary Opnions
I'm not glad that any of the cut characters are gone, but the only one I really miss is Snake. They're gone, guys -- the most you can hope for is for them to return as DLC.
Or we can remain in sadness and bitterness, and maliciously attack anybody who doesn't share our sadness, because they are heartless monsters.
And of course combos are WAY better/more common in Minus. It should be. Minus is the caffeine-addicted-cocaine-snorting-hyperactive Falcon of Smash. It SHOULD be way faster, combo heavy, insane, purple, and generally more flashy (If lacking balance a lot of the time) than other the other smashes. And Sm4sh DOES have combos, they just seem to require more reads then regular. Instead of the combo's success being (mostly) dependent on the defenders ability to DI, it depends on your predicting what the opponent will do. I don't know if there are "True Combos", but there are combos, just not as we're used to them.

Thor

Thor, I know about vectoring. I was referring to the major lack of hitstun in SM4SH. There are some (puny) combos at low percents, but IMO they pale in comparison to Minus combos.

Aether, If you mean cut characters, the only other cuts were Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.

I'm starting to not like Minus quite as much because I feel like I'm frozen forever, even when just trading attacks. Minus hitstun is like waaaaaay long in my opinion. Melee and Smash 4 seem about equal (believe it or not, Brawl and Melee had the same hitstun multiplier, so if Brawl had been coded correctly, each game would have had the same duration of hitstun - the problem was, Brawl's code had an error that made hitstun cancellable with airdodges or attacks after a certain period of time).

Every combo pales in comparison to Minus combos except certain Melee combos, which often still seem outdone because a lot of moves in Minus have enough utility to show up in the combo that don't in Melee (you won't see very many Falcon Kicks in combo videos in Melee, but you certainly can in Minus...). I agree with this. When I made that original statement, I was only referring to vectoring - I know Minus has way more combos than any other smash game out there, again, possibly excepting certain Melee characters (who don't outclass Minus), but vectoring doesn't inherently take away from the game's KO potential/combo potential any more than DI does.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Half the reason survival in smash 4 is longer is because the blast lines are two miles away.

NEWB

I'm very hit and miss with my humor. I'm generally funnier in real life cuz real life situations and such.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
IRL humor and humor through writing don't really transfer at all. When you're actually with someone, you can have all these variations of your voice and can use body language. On the internet you have to take a different approach, having type in different fonts/styles for EMPHASIS. You can also pull up images and such for added silliness (but don't overuse them).

But hey,
levar-burton-o.gif

I'm starting to not like Minus quite as much because I feel like I'm frozen forever, even when just trading attacks. Minus hitstun is like waaaaaay long in my opinion.
Eh, the hitstun is a double-edged sword. The same hitstun that allows all the zany combos we (mostly) love also kinda keeps you hanging there. It's especially notable when you fly offstage and just barely die because you're still in hitstun. But, if I had to choose between really low hitstun and Minus' (balancing aside), then I think I'd go with Minus' each time.

vectoring doesn't inherently take away from the game's KO potential/combo potential any more than DI does.
Well, after reading your responses on the matter, I think I somewhat agree that VI doesn't really change much at lower percents as its a percentage and not a flat amount. At that point, it's doing nearly the same thing as DI/SDI together, and is much simpler to use. I think I like it in this case.

ATM though, I just feel that its knockback-addition effect at higher percents is much too strong, considering the increased blast line distance and our current knowledge of possible follow-ups.

I'm also not a fan of how VI works... "in a square"? I don't know the mathmatical terms for it, but it just seems really weird how holding left/right as you're sent up won't affect your total upwards distance at all.

Thor

IRL humor and humor through writing don't really transfer at all. When you're actually with someone, you can have all these variations of your voice and can use body language. On the internet you have to take a different approach, having type in different fonts/styles for EMPHASIS. You can also pull up images and such for added silliness (but don't overuse them).

But hey,
levar-burton-o.gif

Eh, the hitstun is a double-edged sword. The same hitstun that allows all the zany combos we (mostly) love also kinda keeps you hanging there. It's especially notable when you fly offstage and just barely die because you're still in hitstun. But, if I had to choose between really low hitstun and Minus' (balancing aside), then I think I'd go with Minus' each time.

Well, after reading your responses on the matter, I think I somewhat agree that VI doesn't really change much at lower percents as its a percentage and not a flat amount. At that point, it's doing nearly the same thing as DI/SDI together, and is much simpler to use. I think I like it in this case.

ATM though, I just feel that its knockback-addition effect at higher percents is much too strong, considering the increased blast line distance and our current knowledge of possible follow-ups.

I'm also not a fan of how VI works... "in a square"? I don't know the mathmatical terms for it, but it just seems really weird how holding left/right as you're sent up won't affect your total upwards distance at all.

I personally would prefer hitstun slightly below that of 64 (I read somewhere 64's hitstun was like .546-something and Minus hitstun is .55, while Melee hitstun is like .42-something - would .51 hitstun be that bad? I don't know...), or at least trying it out, but I agree that hitstun cancelling wouldn't fit in Minus at all.

The new "VI" is purely adding vectors - if you added a vector that goes up 100 units with one that goes right 20 units, in the other games you would be going slightly right and mostly up a total of 100 units, so less than 100 units upward. In Smash 4, you just add the vectors, so you go 100 units upward and 20 units to the right. Instead of having control of the direction but not the length of the KB vector, we have control over the length in exchange for [so far, seemingly] less control over the direction.

Blazingflare

Beep Beep Beep Boop
Not to be obnoxious but are these Wario vs Olimar matches? Olimar is known to cause freezes, especially as people are dying. Samus's zair also occasionally does apparently, so that might be a problem interacting with Wario [if you do more than 1v1, I don't know].

I haven't heard of this with Wario though. I'm sure the devs will look into it.
I use an older build of both Olimar and Samus. I think one of the freezes was in a match with Olimar and Wario, but most of them I've had only have had Wario and some other random character in the match.
I don't know if I mentioned this in my last post but, a fair number of them occurred when a CPU was controlling Wario.
Whatever it was that caused the freezing for me, I band-aid patched it by removing Wario from the random character select list.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

I have never experienced random freezes with wario. Does wario have a texture that could be causing problems?

Blazingflare

Beep Beep Beep Boop
I don't have any textures on Wario. I honestly haven't really touched him, and neither have my friends. He only really ever showed up when he would get selected through random.
I should mention that most of our matches are free-for-alls, which could be the root of the problem.

?0123456789?

So can somebody much more savvy than myself please create a patch for 3.3 Samus over 3.Q Samus in the current release with all the appropriate files so that it works correctly? I tried doing it myself but I failed miserably.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
So can somebody much more savvy than myself please create a patch for 3.3 Samus over 3.Q Samus in the current release with all the appropriate files so that it works correctly? I tried doing it myself but I failed miserably.
Remind me what 3.3 Samus had over 3.Q Samus?

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I hate Brawl Minus there's too many nerfs Im gonna play Balanced Brawl they have more buffs than Minus.
Joking aside, anyone know when the next update for Minus is coming? I need something to fill the 5-day void.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
From what I've been told, progress on the update has been slow due to school with most of the staff.