BDOT #4: OVER! Glyph Defends the Title!

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
It's about the joke. But, I will correct it anyways. I made that signature on the fly.

Glyph

How long will this tournament be lasting. If it doesn't last too long I should be able to join in too.

Run time will be completely dependant on how quickly all yous guys get your matches done. I typically try to limit each round to 2 days or so, but my priority is maximizing people's play time so I don't DQ unless I really need to move on.

Overall, this whole thing should wrap up in a week or so barring some unforseen circumstances.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
what does falco have to do with bread?
When you do his side taunt he saids "Hands off my prey." But, since he has an accent he sound like he's saying "Hands off my bread" This has been a joke of brawl ever since it came out. It's up there with Ike's "I fight for my friend" Also on topic might as well sign me up. I feel my toon link could be better but, if I lose I lose.

Glyph

The bracket is now officially posted! There is a SMALL chance that this bracket will get thrown out, and that will only happen if we get three more people signed up before midnight tonight. Otherwise, there's your opponents! If anyone shows up and still wants to join, they'll of course fill the two bye slots before we push over to a 32 man bracket.

If you're both online, feel free to go ahead and get a jump on your matches! Just be sure you review the rules in the OP first and get the results back to me ASAP!

Good luck!

Thor

Loser's final winner fights the winner's final winner in a set - if the loser's final winner wins, then another set is played to determine champion. This is done because every person has to lose two sets to be knocked out of the tournament - the winner's final winner has lost zero sets, and the loser's final winner has lost one set, so if the loser's final winner wins the first set, then each side has lost a set, which is insufficient to eliminate the winner's final winner, but there are only two players left, so they must play again to determine a champion - meanwhile if the winner's final winner beats the loser's final winner, the loser's final winner has now lost two sets, and with one player left, they are the champion.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Glyph

Yeah what he said. The winner of the losers bracket gets a chance at first place, but will have to win two sets in a row since the other player hasn't lost yet.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Hm. Fine. I'll fight. It'll be a night fight if I'm on tomorrow. I currently don't have my USB drive, so I'd have to get it. I'm on eastern time.

Now I get to see my introduction phrase....

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

I thought it was a best 3 of 5 in that case, but the winner of losers final is already down a game. So it's best 3 of 5, but the winner of winners final already has a win.

Glyph

Not quite Newb, the loser bracket guy would have to win TWO 3/5 sets to be champion and the winner's bracket guy only would need to win one.. It is not something easily done, but that's the advantage to not losing til that point.

Edit: that's awesome, Concept! I'll get the bracket edited once I get home, but you'll be facing Newb in round 1!

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Aaaaand why is that?
I'm confused as to what exactly, you were referring to.
If you're talking about:

Then I say that because it's a match up I've had before. Familiar ground. You also put up a good fight, so I'm eager to see how I'll do.

If you're talking about:

Wasn't expecting that. :cool:
Then I say that because I wasn't sure how Glyph was going to go about it. I definitely didn't see that intro coming.

Explained.
Also

-Games will all be double blind for character picks.​
What's that mean?

Glyph

Normally offline you can counterpick characters as well as stages, but since we're online you both just play whoever you want every game and don't get any heads up who's getting used against you.

Anyway, the bracket is now updated to reflect Concept's inclusion!

Thor

^^^I feel like that's not really fair...

Winner should at least have to declare who they intend to play - loser can pick whomever and shock opponent - this is good for double-blind round one.

Winner declares character choice AFTER stage is chosen though.

Just my $0.02.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I'm up against Jomo in Round 1? That's the expert Lucario on Glyph's level, right?

Ehh...

I'll be free Friday, between 5 PM - 9 PM EST.

Glyph

Allowing character counterpicks will only over complicate things, its much better to do it this way. Besides, 9/10 if someone wins they're going to stay that same character

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
^^^I feel like that's not really fair...

Winner should at least have to declare who they intend to play - loser can pick whomever and shock opponent - this is good for double-blind round one.

Winner declares character choice AFTER stage is chosen though.

Just my $0.02.

I feel like counterpicks show lack of skill to be honest. You shouldn't select your character based on an opponent.

NEWB

Erm.. Careful with that statement kien. That is very opinionated though not without truth. It makes more sense to stick to your absolute best and play your heart out, but this IS a game. Having counterpicks gives the illusion(allusion? :/) that you had some control over the outcome of the match and it manufactures a strategic element to the game that is beyond the game itself. Of course, that too is unnecessary.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I feel like counterpicks show lack of skill to be honest. You shouldn't select your character based on an opponent.

Counterpicks are because even when both players are at the same highest level of possible skill, the match-up could be extremely disadvantageous. When taking Smash Bros. into example, Ganondorf vs. Ice Climbers match-up in Brawl is considered a 95-5, Ice Climber's favor. It is considered near-impossible for even the best Ganondorf to beat an Ice Climbers player that is just as good as he is, simply due to the virtue of the fact that Ganondorf has pretty much nothing that can beat out what the ICs can do. The Ganondorf player would need to pick a different character for this match if he wants to stand a reasonable chance. That is why we have counterpicking and it's why they are important. In games that aren't Smash I pocket certain characters due to similar situations.

It's also why Armada picked up Young Link: So he can beat Jigglypuff.

Thor

Kienamaru said:

Go play as Fox versus a Pikachu that can dthrow CG, and tell me you don't want the ability to switch to your backup named Kirby (or MK, ICs, Olimar, Diddy Kong, Marth, ZSS, Wario, GnW, Pit - whoever your backup would be] who doesn't get zero-death'd from a single grab.

Pin explained it well too. There are MUs that don't look awful but are harder than they need to be - haven't you been sort of saying that Link is at a disadvantage against Kirby because Kirby ducks stuff [or at least, it makes it much harder to use projectiles as Link v Kirby]? You can't tell me you wouldn't like to switch to Lucario or some other character if you know they're staying Kirby (and you lost rather convincingly), but feel no need to switch if they switch since you like your Link most [maybe you don't, this was just an example relevant to you I came up with]?

And NEWB, it's definitely not an illusion - Falco ICs is SOOOO much better on rainbow cruise than it is on Final Destination - CPing from one to the other can make SUCH a big difference - opens up SO many more opportunities to separate them, and lots of places to run/jump away, as compared to FD where what goes up must come back down quickly (or Falco ICs on even just BF improves it some compared to on FD - Falco ICs is -2 Falco by the way [these were all vBrawl examples for those who weren't clear on that]).