Brawl Minus 4.0b is here!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Even if we aren't replying to every post, that does not mean we are not paying attention to every post.

Mariosonicman1

did..... i do something wrong? loading pokemon stadium did something wierd.... i got a pitch black backround... and the tree stage is all fall through. nothings a solid platform besides the bottom and the middle platforms.

...apperently the download didnt work properly for me... the game still crashes when i try to do two player home run contest... and i think pichu got messed up a bit... is there something i possibly did wrong in my download?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
did..... i do something wrong? loading pokemon stadium did something wierd.... i got a pitch black backround... and the tree stage is all fall through. nothings a solid platform besides the bottom and the middle platforms.

There may be a St_DXSTADIUM.rel in the module folder. Please delete that.

Out of curiosity, which portraits are you using?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I noticed that there are 3 codes listed here that are omitted from the 4.0b codeset:

All-Star Versus special mode flags clear
All-Star Versus Beta 9.8
All star VS: proper respawn

Were those for the same All-Star Versus mode that Project M has?

If so, can you add in the wrap-around blastzone codes too? Or are these not going to be added officially?

Thor

Pin Clock said:
Replaced collisions with special collisions so that enemies hit by the sweetspot go in the direction he is facing

Unless this is badly worded or jargon I don't understand, there was never [ever] a problem with a sweetspot on Charizard's fair. The problem was with Charizard's fair sourspot [aka the extended range] being useless, and thus making the move's effective range quite short.

If this is just your way of saying "The whole move has KB now", it's worded in a very interesting way, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the issue myself, Baby_Sneak, or others seeking Charizard buffs were after...

In any case, I'm asking so many questions because I don't have my Wii on me at the moment, so I'll not be able to test until a later date [hopefully I can get a friend to get 4.0b and play with him to answer some of my questions.]

NEWB

The minus dev team.....just wow. This was a huge update! Great job guys! And this aint even 4.0 yet!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I noticed that there are 3 codes listed here that are omitted from the 4.0b codeset:

All-Star Versus special mode flags clear
All-Star Versus Beta 9.8
All star VS: proper respawn

Were those for the same All-Star Versus mode that Project M has?

If so, can you add in the wrap-around blastzone codes too? Or are these not going to be added officially?

They were both detected and omitted because we did not have permission to use these. We will investigate the issue of why those codes are there and have them taken down post-haste.

i used the brawl minus portraits.
The issue will be investigated and hot patched in just a moment.

Mariosonicman1

i just discovered a hilarious glitch XD
when you grab a thunderbolt when roy is in his final smash animation, he keeps the smash ball effect. but will be unable to use it. when a cpu roy is using it, he will spam that b button like no tomorrow X3

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom

...apperently the download didnt work properly for me... the game still crashes when i try to do two player home run contest... and i think pichu got messed up a bit... is there something i possibly did wrong in my download?

Stadium 1 and Pichu are fine over here, but the 2-Man Home Run Contest crashed. This will be investigated, and if anyone else can confirm if Stadium 1 is working correctly that would be a tremendous help.

i just discovered a hilarious glitch XD
when you grab a thunderbolt when roy is in his final smash animation, he keeps the smash ball effect. but will be unable to use it. when a cpu roy is using it, he will spam that b button like no tomorrow X3

Please post this in the bug report thread.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Regarding Zard's fair, iirc, his sour spot only caused flinching, which in itself was rather irritating back when I used to fight anyone who enjoyed spamming it (considering its range and and large hitbox size). As such, it was never "useless," as it still racked up damage while halting the enemy (gotta love that low landing lag that lets you use it repeatedly).

Honestly the whole attack should have KB.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Do these changes work in the SSE?
Hasn't been specifically tested for, so the fallspeed and gravity changes may or may not. They work by injecting custom code into sora_melee->ftParamCustomizeImpl[0][16] iirc. SSE may use a different submodule altogether.

Mariosonicman1

that reminds me, it stinks that you cannot start a new SSE story mode because the game softlocks when you enter a character battle. id pray for one day, be it 4.0 or further, that the softlock can be overcome and can play that mode with all our overpowered friends.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom

Figured it out. You very likely replaced it over your 3.Q files when you should have done a clean install. 4.0b is not a patch over 3.Q, it is a replacement all together. Some module and stage files were deleted, so plopping 4.0b over 3.Q would result in some files that are not supposed to be there still remaining there.

Thor

Regarding Zard's fair, iirc, his sour spot only caused flinching, which in itself was rather irritating back when I used to fight anyone who enjoyed spamming it (considering its range and and large hitbox size). As such, it was never "useless," as it still racked up damage while halting the enemy (gotta love that low landing lag that lets you use it repeatedly).

Honestly the whole attack should have KB.

I know that you could use the flinching while grounded for decent stuff, but it made the move not very effective when actually chasing someone [as you'd have a combo chance, do a fair, then you actually knock them out of histun faster (they flinch and are then able to act) and could be punished on hit, unless (as you said) you could land and do something... but I know I punished some Charizards more than once for a mid-air fair that didn't sweetspot because I could double jump at them and do an aerial of my own to punish], As a result, the move is definitely good low to the ground, but lackluster when actually using it airborne, because while you can extend a combo, misspacing a little can lead you to getting punished for landing a hit.

I do agree with your last statement.

Mariosonicman1

Figured it out. You very likely replaced it over your 3.Q files when you should have done a clean install. 4.0b is not a patch over 3.Q, it is a replacement all together. Some module and stage files were deleted, so plopping 4.0b over 3.Q would result in some files that are not supposed to be there still remaining there.
oh.... i see, could you recommend to me what folders to deleate all togeather that wont deleate my homebrew?

Valravn

Is it intended for Sonic's Boost to be uninterruptible during the first 20 frames? Boost-pivot-grab is proving impossible at short ranges.

Altair357

Without his grab cancel, Kirby's Inhale goes back to being pretty much lame. I demand that an addition be made. Obviously, his copy abilities have been buffed, but they still aren't good enough to be an essential part of his game (but are still better than Inhale because that's basically lame again.) Inhale deserves a cool buff that forces the player to make a decision on whether to copy or not once they land it - with neither choice being obviously superior to the other. Of course, in Kirby games the optimal decision is almost always to copy, but that doesn't necessarily need to carry into this game's balance.

Anyway, to compensate for this horrible nerf, I have a simple but awesome proposition - Star Shot should be good. It's pretty useless for gimping since it launches people upwards after they escape, and they can mash out to escape from star form faster. Simply remove both of these factors to make it a valuable gimping tool, introducing a trade-off factor. Do I copy, or do I want to keep the gimping potential?
Now, for true awesomeness Star Shot could be a spike, but this is a bit of an unreasonable expectation.

I understand the devs aren't expected to take suggestions, nor is this even a proper thread for suggesting things, but the importance of a powerful Star Shot transcends my concern for these things.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Personally, I think Kirby should be doing what he's meant to do with his signature ability, rather than constantly coming up with ways to make it pointless to even have it at all. Copy is his gimmick, and nothing about it should make him not want to copy. Making the star shot "inescapable" from the removal of button presses is broken because of the distance it can shoot people, putting them offstage incredibly easily, which leave most characters in a very bad, gimpable position (which is made even worse with the new gravity/fall speed).
For this same reason, turning it into a spike is just plain broken, even more so than Minus should ever attempt again. Inhale by ledge, walk off, wait, spit, spike, recover easily because Kirby. Absolutely not.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Personally, I think Kirby should be doing what he's meant to do with his signature ability, rather than constantly coming up with ways to make it pointless to even have it at all. Copy is his gimmick, and nothing about it should make him not want to copy. Making the star shot "inescapable" from the removal of button presses is broken because of the distance it can shoot people, putting them offstage incredibly easily, which leave most characters in a very bad, gimpable position (which is made even worse with the new gravity/fall speed).
For this same reason, turning it into a spike is just plain broken, even more so than Minus should ever attempt again. Inhale by ledge, walk off, wait, spit, spike, recover easily because Kirby. Absolutely not.

Precisely this.

Kirby spit used to spike and it was a horrid situation for pretty much that exact reason. People would die at absolutely nothing, on top of the fact that inhale could cancel into grab->fthrow->fair->fastfallgrab->dthrow->slidingdtilt->final cutter->canceled into usmash. The latter of which is why inhale grab has been removed. Quite simply, kirby is a monster in his own right and doesn't need the inhale cancel, it just becomes a crutch that limits his diversity. His copy abilites should be focused on instead, as the rest of his kit is pretty great and excels in neutral, combo succession, and is full of hitconfirms to begin with.

In any case, the inhale cancel being removed (while a jarring change, i agree) is not for the worst. Kirby player simply need to rely more on punish skills more to initiate these combos, rather than rely on a massive range extension that also takes the diversity from his play. With inhale cancel there, there is never a legitimate reason to swallow the opponent, and that's just a waste. We plan to modify and buff his copy abilities further, so please rest assured that we will not let this nerf stop him short of what he can become. :)

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Is it intended for Sonic's Boost to be uninterruptible during the first 20 frames? Boost-pivot-grab is proving impossible at short ranges.
They wanted to kill the man... so they did.