Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion

Thor

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia fan here.

If I vote, it will almost certainly go to... well, it should be obvious...

Colette. Or else maybe Snake to return him. Or to be funny, make the trailer look like Snake, and have Raiden join in (PSASBR tho, so unlikely).

NEWB

Anyone else get mewtwo yet?

Also, it seems some of the top tiers have been hit. Sonics back throw is weaker now and diddy kong got many of his attacks nerfed with less damage and knockback. Sheiks Bair is a little weaker too.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Recently tried out Mewtwo. I think he's a lot of fun, but I never really used him in serious matches before, so I kinda suck at using him.

I didn't really check out the other character updates yet...
Also, is anyone getting the DLC Mii Fighter costumes?

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Mewtwo is effing amazing. Just gonna put that out there.

NEWB

Is he? Oh I can't wait to get home! How is his new fair? I saw footage of it but it was whiffed a lot.

Gold_TSG

More range than melee version, still as quick, kills.

Gold_TSG

Depends how you use it. Close range is more dependent on your opponent's reactions for follow ups. As a reflector, it lasts a pretty decent length. It can also be used as a recovery mix up, as it gives you a small "hop" when used while falling.

NEWB

Most characters with fast aerials don't see to care about confusion. They seem to retaliate to quickly for mewtwo to do anything whereas the rest of the cast can jump away. The recovery buff it got is pretty useful.

Could mewtwo walljump in melee? He can in smash 4 and it feels really weird.

Gold_TSG

I don't believe he could. It's a random, but very useful buff

Thor

Is it just me or does Confusion (side B) still kind of suck?

It apparently combos into usmash. That might've been a joke someone was making, but it seems to work beautifully for it underneath a Battlefield platform if you read their tech roll or missed tech.

Mewtwo could not walljump in Melee. He can now however.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
You can combo into usmash if they don't try and hit you once they are out of the grab. Also you grab confirm with jab. If the opponent isn't trying to get away you can jab into disable. It's pretty hype. From what I learned Mewtwo's worse match up is Jigglypuff. Because most of his combos won't work on it.

Gold_TSG

Mewtwo has a lot of tricky matchups due to his lack of speed and unnecessary extra ending lags (imo). Sonic is a big one in particular.

NEWB

The fact that his fsmash and dsmash arent differentiated doesnt help much either. Neither does being unable to hit behind him at all. Honestly, he feels okay but he has many bad matchups.

Thor

People seem to whine a lot.

Outspace Jigglypuff with the gigantic back air. Kill her ridiculously early with uthrow and usmash. Make her cry with fair and uair.

A lot of Mewtwo's stuff isn't even that laggy - I think Mewtwo's jab may or may not beat Spin dash on Sonic, and fair is awesome. So is dtilt.

Honestly, dthrow is the only thing that really disappoints me - disable doesn't work as well as I'd like but in certain situations it's very very useful.

Fsmash kills horizontally, dsmash kills vertically. Pretty sure spaced dsmash pokes below the ledge [unlike fsmash].

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
It apparently combos into usmash. That might've been a joke someone was making, but it seems to work beautifully for it underneath a Battlefield platform if you read their tech roll or missed tech.
Oh yeah that! That's a pretty awesome use of it since Usmash pokes through the platforms and is a pretty great punish all around. Haven't tried it on other stages yet though.

The thing I was mostly complaining about was Confusion apparently not really setting up into anything when in the more common situation of no platform above... or does it?

Thor

Oh yeah that! That's a pretty awesome use of it since Usmash pokes through the platforms and is a pretty great punish all around. Haven't tried it on other stages yet though.

The thing I was mostly complaining about was Confusion apparently not really setting up into anything when in the more common situation of no platform above... or does it?

If you guess your opponent will not double jump and miss tech, it's a free fsmash. This actually occurs somewhat often.

But it doesn't seem to set up anything. MIGHT combo into jab??? If so, you can do jab shenanigans [jab grab seems feasible at least, as does just a jab combo]. Something to test I suppose...

Gold_TSG

You cannot jab grab out of confusion unless you can get off two jabs, because confusion is a grab. It does set up into some nice stuff so long as your opponent doesn't react, as I said. I finally played FG a lot before, and mewtwo is pretty strong against those unaware. Even I found myself caught in a confusion combo before I could react properly a few times.

Jiggs shits all over mewtwo tho. I did it myself. And yes, it was against a good mewtwo. All those pokes, dair shenanigans, and of course early rests from his light weight.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
Thor, I don't know what you are talking about. Have you played Mewtwo? The bair to outspace Jiggs? Whine alot? Dude you would be lucky if outspacing was even a option. If jigglypuff players can deal with Shulk and his bair why would it be different Mewtwo's slower and weaker bair. I fought a level 8 jigglypuff while practicing random CPUs and that fucker gave me hell. And it was only jigglypuff. I usually destroy those computers. Then I fought my friend who is a legit jigglypuff main. I don't even want to talk about how dirty that was.

Thor

Thor, I don't know what you are talking about. Have you played Mewtwo? The bair to outspace Jiggs? Whine alot? Dude you would be lucky if outspacing was even a option. If jigglypuff players can deal with Shulk and his bair why would it be different Mewtwo's slower and weaker bair. I fought a level 8 jigglypuff while practicing random CPUs and that fucker gave me hell. And it was only jigglypuff. I usually destroy those computers. Then I fought my friend who is a legit jigglypuff main. I don't even want to talk about how dirty that was.

Well Shulk's bair is super laggy - the real problem in Puff Shulk is working around Shulk's fair.

Yes, spacing around it is hard. That's how Smash works. Puff has to space around Fox usmash in Melee and Fox has to deal with Puff's bair beating or trading with everything he does that isn't the lasers [lasers...]. Every character has to outspace Puff and Puff has to outspace everyone else - I don't mean that you necessarily have more range, I mean play the spacing game so you are landing your hits while being mostly safe from theirs.

And how the heck did a level 8 CPU give you trouble? I had no problem cleaning them out [level 9s are obnoxious but still perfectly doable], unless Wii U Ai is different from 3DS AI and you used Wii U [since I haven't really fought level 9s on it when I was at home and I don't have it on me].

Maybe I'm just unclear on exactly how Puff can devastate Mewtwo, but if you're getting rested, you got outplayed [she doesn't really have setups into it besides jab locks from what I know]. Sure Mewtwo maybe can't combo her as well, but you do have a solid projectile, a kill throw that KOs her early, and usmash should beat out every one of her landing aerials, while also killing her probably around 85% or earlier [connect at 85%, she should die at 101% if it's fresh]. I'm headed to a tournament today so I'll fight some of the Puff players with Mewtwo [in friendlies, he's banned from this event because newness] and I'll see if I change my mind or [hopefully] if I can try to offer some insight into the MU as I see it.

But hey, I've been wrong before, so if it's really that awful, we can pray for weight buffs and a more disjointed bair or uair [those two things alone would probably make him seen as a lot better, since as of now I don't think either of them is disjointed much if at all]. Or a dthrow that combos into stuff.

Gold_TSG

The AI got improved with this patch, FYI. Level 8 is pretty obnoxious now, and I haven't tested 9 yet. Been too busy wrecking Mewtwo players.

And he really doesn't have much to stop Jiggs. Usmash would only work if you precisely place it under a really bad Jiggs in the air. Otherwise, good luck trying to get past her fairs and nairs. It's also not hard to dodge through and to the side of usmash, because the attack isn't large and her mobility is so much better. Once Jiggs is on top of Mewtwo, he's forced on the defensive, and he doesn't have enough to counter it. Not to mention his Shadow Ball is east as shit to avoid.