Stages of Brawl Minus

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
UPDATED FOR 3.Q

This is just a list for now. It will eventually be modified detailing the changes of each stage when they are all modified. For now, I'll ask what might be the best route for some levels.

Minus Stages
1. Battlefield
2. Final Destination
3. Delfino Plaza
4. Luigi's Mansion -
5. Mushroom Kingdom -
6. Peach's Castle 64
7. 75M
8. Rumble Falls +
9. Pirate Ship -
10. Hyrule Castle 64
11. Lavaville
12. Frigate Orpheon Balanced
13. Yoshi's Island (Brawl) Fixed
14. Halberd Balanced
15. Lylat Cruise Fixed
16. Pokemon Stadium 2
17. Spear Pillar -
18. Port Town Fixed
19. Summit
20. Lavender Town
21. Castle Siege -
22. Warioware -
23. Final Frustration
24. Skyworld -
25. Metal Cavern
26. Newpork City -
27. Smashville
28. Shadow Moses Island
29. Green Hill Zone -
30. Pictochat -
31. Congo Jungle
32. Temple +
33. Yoshi's Story
34. Jungle Japes -
35. Onett
36. Dream Greens
37. Fountain of Dreams
38. Corneria
39. Saffron City
40. Brinstar -
41. Pokemon Stadium (Grass)

Stages No Longer in Minus
Norfair-
Mario Bros -
Yoshi's Island (Melee) -
Distant Planet -

Last edited by a moderator:

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
For the stages unaltered. How would you all like to see them?

Balanced- May contain hazards that are easy enough to avoid. These stages will still be competitively viable as they are not inherently difficult to fight on or one sided.

Minused- May contain game changing hazards. These stages are built for fun matches and may be rescaled to better occupy 4 player matches. They will likely be unused in competitive play.

Replaced- replaced with a suitable stage. Could be a modified version of a melee or N64 stage. Could be something else that should have been in from the get go.

Left alone- D-d-d-don't touch it!
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Newpork City
Summit
Flatzone 2
Hanenbow
Onnet

Personally, I'd like to see Mario Circuit, Norfair, and Onnet Minused
Newpork and Summit could make for really fun balanced stages. Not to mention, Earthbound could use a balanced stage.

Queso2469

Newpork as it stands just feels like something I would build when I was bored in stage builder. Of course the original Newpork felt that way too.

Hanenbow's set has a lot of pieces that seem like they would be really fun in a little less chaotic map.

Mario circuit would be interesting to see, but I would want to see the walk-offs gone, and I'm not sure how viable a change that would be.

Also, I may just be imagining this, but does the bottom moving platform differ between Peach and Bowser version of the N64 Peach's castle stage? It seems that in the peach version the platform recedes further, making it impossible to grab at times, when it doesn't do that in the bowser version.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I may be the only fan of walk off stages, but I really think Mario Circuit would benefit from the removal of the grass. That way, it's still a walk off stage on the top portion, but it isn't on the bottom. You'd be forced to fight on the track at all times. I haven't seen Newpork to be honest. I didn't know Tybis ever got around to changing it up.

Queso2469

Walkoffs can be interesting, but that stage in particular always felt a little annoying with grass area. Newpork just has a giant iceberg taking up the left half of the stage.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Queso2469 said:
Also, I may just be imagining this, but does the bottom moving platform differ between Peach and Bowser version of the N64 Peach's castle stage? It seems that in the peach version the platform recedes further, making it impossible to grab at times, when it doesn't do that in the bowser version.

That is exactly what happens. Peach's has a classic movement resembling Smash64, while Bowser's is always grab-able from both sides. :cool:

Queso2469 said:
Newpork just has a giant iceberg taking up the left half of the stage.

New Pork has always annoyed me, vBrawl or not.
Expect... heavy remodeling of that stage.

NEWB

Isn't norfair lavaville now? And why do people hate it? Everyone can abuse this stage very well, and there may only be few that don't. It's an awesome stage, as is mario bros stage.

Glyph

Personally, I don't ever want to have to feel that the stage gave or took a win away from me. Lavaville is a ton of fun and 90% of the games on it would go smoothly, but all it takes is that one strong hit that's definitely going to kill someone when a lava wall spawns and saves their life.

I'm not against some minor stage elements, like even the laser on Halberd as it is incredibly hard to not get around that or even the acid on Norfair.

There are still quite a few stages that I've come across that I feel would be excellent additions to the minus stage roster. I made a thread months ago on the old site trying to get a bunch of stages together, I'll try to find it when I get home and see which ones I still think should make the cut.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Glyph said:
Personally, I don't ever want to have to feel that the stage gave or took a win away from me. Lavaville is a ton of fun and 90% of the games on it would go smoothly, but all it takes is that one strong hit that's definitely going to kill someone when a lava wall spawns and saves their life.

I'm not against some minor stage elements, like even the laser on Halberd as it is incredibly hard to not get around that or even the acid on Norfair.

There are still quite a few stages that I've come across that I feel would be excellent additions to the minus stage roster. I made a thread months ago on the old site trying to get a bunch of stages together, I'll try to find it when I get home and see which ones I still think should make the cut.

That sounds good to me. I've used the expansion before but it didn't work online for some reason. Like, you could go to the stages, but you'd desync. I think the only way to have it work perfectly is by having the ported stages replace normal slots.

NEWB

By the way, remember the section of picotochat, the long, diagonal line was changed to a teeter totter. You can't grab the left portion of the stage at that time.

Thor

I WANT NORFAIR- BACK! It's a great stage that definitely functions as a CP and could function as a neutral if people were willing to test it some more - the platforms allow for solid recovery mixups (perhaps TOO solid... maybe remove edges on higher platforms if that was the issue) while they also allow for some characters to mix up their approaches from below, not just the horizontal that is more or less always seen on FD and commonly seen on other stages along with the from above approach (jump and land with aerial or a grab). It also has nice, large blastzones that allow characters good durability, but it's not excessive.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I like the Giant Temple....
What about that Venus something stage that everyone got a message about?

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I liked large Temple more than the one we have. I also greatly enjoyed the redone Norfair.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
The only reason I didn't like Minus Norfair was because it was Smashville.

Thor

Yeah new Temple still has some issues (it's apparently been playtested enough for PM players to find it ban-worthy, instead of just a CP - Falco camping or something) and regular Temple is awesome because regular Temple.

I also want Big Blue back. And Block train Yoshi's.

Warioware is missing the Minus sign or some other way of telling that it's not the original Warioware (unless Warioware was reverted, in which case, why?)

The Concept said:
The only reason I didn't like Minus Norfair was because it was Smashville.

I think we're talking about a different stage. I could not care less for Lavaville (please remove it), but Norfair was the stage with one large base and two large platforms that partially overlap the other large platform.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I just put back vBrawl Norfair

NEWB

Lavaville remains my favorite. The most hazardous stage in the game id say. We need at a few of those.

Thor

Kienamaru said:
Only thing I really liked about Vbrawl Norfair was fighting for the capsule.

That stage could've been so much cooler if MK couldn't shark under 4 of the 5 platforms in the stage... and if the lava didn't often force someone off the only non-sharkable platform.

I do enjoy smacking people away from the capsule, because even if I don't get in I usually can get the timing pretty close to right and spotdodge the lava wave.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I've learned to dodge the lava. I like hazards. Static stages are nice and all, but I like the challenge of hazards.

Valravn

I also miss Big Blue. It was the best stage for forcing a lot of aerial combat, and the silly road-techs you could do were good fun.