Stages of Brawl Minus

Thor

I've learned to dodge the lava. I like hazards. Static stages are nice and all, but I like the challenge of hazards.

Some stages with hazards are nice (give hyrule 64 back tornado and saffron back pokemon spawn), but I really like Minus Norfair of 3.3 because the layout was very different from most stages, but it also was not a stage with some flaw that made it kind of broken for some characters (I also LOVE the current Mushroom Kingdom, but it might not work in singles because of how the design allows for campers to run away rather effectively).

And personally, I'll take a unique layout that would be tournament playable over a legal map with a hazard added any day (so Minus Norfair > Lavaville).

I think I'd still take Minus Norfair over regular, but only because of how much I love the layout - if another stage had that layout, I'd have no problems with vBrawl Norfair being readded.

NEWB

Can lavaville and norfair 3.3 coexist? Or do both stages require norfair because the module or something?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Can lavaville and norfair 3.3 coexist? Or do both stages require norfair because the module or something?

They could coexist but the reason we don't have both is because Lavaville holds meaning to the team who started Brawl Minus. Unless you guys would rather have Frigate replaced.. Teehee. I really don't like Frigate.

NEWB

I wouldn't really want to ditch frigate. Gotta be one that isn't legal and isn't fun, like onett. Except we need to make sure every character gets their own stage from their game. I mean, new pork exists, so....

I fully support lavaville over 3.3 norfair. I just figure enough people like both, so I don't know.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Fun fact: Norfair's BG lava is shieldable.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I wouldn't really want to ditch frigate. Gotta be one that isn't legal and isn't fun, like onett. Except we need to make sure every character gets their own stage from their game. I mean, new pork exists, so....

I fully support lavaville over 3.3 norfair. I just figure enough people like both, so I don't know.

If we were making sure every character got their own stage... then Yoshi wouldn't have 2, and There would be at least one more Zelda stage.

Thor

I would not at all mind seeing any of the following stages get the axe for Norfair 3.3:

Luigi's Mansion
75 M
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
Port Town (although Big Blue could replace that instead)
Shadow Moses Island (walls...)
Summit
Lavender Town (sorry, just don't care for it)
Castle Siege
Warioware
Final Frustration
Pictochat
Jungle Japes
Onett (don't like this stage at all)
Corneria
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium (Grass)

The only stages I absolutely would NOT want it to replace are:
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Peach's Castle N64
Big Blue

There are several stages I REALLY would not like to see go (ex: Mushroom Kingdom-) but would tolerate going away for Norfair 3.3. The top list is the list of stages I would not at all mind seeing hit the chopping block, and would ask who else thinks one of these stages could leave.

Alternatively, if the supposed bugs ever get fixed from the SEP, just adding Norfair 3.3 back in would be awesome (and I'm not talking the questionable graphics of the images as bugs but the crashing people's game bugs - Minus can handle less-than-stellar interface if it means improved gameplay, at least in my opinion [or else why would Minus still use MS Paint???]).

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I'd LOVE to see 75M get axed. I wouldn't even care what replaced it. I just don't like the stage's theme, layout, or design. I think if the community makes enough noise about a stage being axed though (or returning) it could definitely happen. We often try to choose the stages that most people like. I seem to be the odd man who likes Onett. I've had very fun fights there. Then again, I like walk off stages.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I feel as if I'm the only person who liked Frozen Stadium 2, and would like to see it back over Summit. Onett I wouldn't mind going either.

That being said I also miss the Grab the Trophy! Stage, and feel that with some fixes, it would be a great addition.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
If only the Stage Expansion code was re-implemented, we could have all these good stages and then some.

Worried about it causing crashes? Make it an optional patch / alternate download.

Gold_TSG

Making it optional turns online play into a guessing game where unnecessary, since two people need to have the same code sets otherwise it desyncs. People who then play random stages just makes it impossible to play with anyone that doesn't have it.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Making it optional turns online play into a guessing game where unnecessary, since two people need to have the same code sets otherwise it desyncs. People who then play random stages just makes it impossible to play with anyone that doesn't have it.
So just state that the two builds will be incompatible with each other online.

You know, the vast majority of people who play Minus will never play it online. Look how many times it's been downloaded, and yet this forum is the only online community Minus has (that I know of). My point is, something as great as the Stage Expansion code shouldn't be totally left out just to accommodate online play. It should be an optional patch / alternate download. If it ends up not causing any freezes, it should be included by default. Until then, players who want both setups can just use two different SD cards.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
That would require everyone to establish what build they have before they play online, which shouldn't be done because everyone should just be using "the latest version" and not have to check if they are using SEP or not and which one they should be using. It adds something unecessarily complex to online play, which is simply not good for the game.

It's not about accomidating to Online Play, it's about the Random Stage Select menu not being able to turn off SEP stages, so choosing Random when wanting to be competitive and then getting Big Blue is not good.

Gold_TSG

I never said it needed to be left out. If it works, it should just be part of the main release and not a separate download. There is no reason to treat the community like it needs to be divided based on how people choose to play. Better to have everything working together, than have "download this if you want stages, or download this if you want online."
A lot of people don't have local groups to play with and rely on wifi, myself being one of them. I'd rather have the stages and the online.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
OK, how about this: Until the Stage Expansion code is ready to be re-implemented into the official codeset, offer it as an optional patch / alternate download that does not include the Wiimfi code in the codeset. Mention that it is offline only for now.

This way, offline players can enjoy the extra stages, and online players don't have to worry about their player base getting divided.

It's not about accomidating to Online Play, it's about the Random Stage Select menu not being able to turn off SEP stages, so choosing Random when wanting to be competitive and then getting Big Blue is not good.
If you ask me, that's not a good reason for excluding the Stage Expansion code. Who picks Random that often anyway? Use a random number generator, roll some dice, or draw a number out of a hat. The extra stages are worth it.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
That would require everyone to establish what build they have before they play online, which shouldn't be done because everyone should just be using "the latest version" and not have to check if they are using SEP or not and which one they should be using. It adds something unecessarily complex to online play, which is simply not good for the game.

There's a code that does it. Get rid of it.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I replaced 75m with a Tetris stage. Fun.

Thor

Kienamaru said:
I like walkoff stages.

I should play you on Onett then...

Pin Clock said:
it's about the Random Stage Select menu not being able to turn off SEP stages, so choosing Random when wanting to be competitive and then getting Big Blue is not good.

Is it really that hard to just not hit random? Or maybe make it that the cursor's default position is over Smashville/Battlefield/Final Destination so that someone can just hit start twice and get going, even if they go to the same stage each time?

If that's the biggest issue with SEP, then it's literally laziness that's keeping a great function out of the game.

Also Big Blue is best competitive stage wtfudge are you talking about?

Doqtor Kirby said:
There's a code that does it. Get rid of it.

I don't know what you mean by this, but if the devs can fix the random problem, I'm sure Bent, Gold_TSG, and I (and others) would love that to happen.

Doqtor Kirby

Minus Backroom
I don't know what you mean by this, but if the devs can fix the random problem, I'm sure Bent, Gold_TSG, and I (and others) would love that to happen.
There is a code that makes all the stages in the SEP pickable in Random, because there are more than there are supposed to be. However this breaks Random Stage Select.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
And that is the reason why the SEP will not be returning.
So a feature that everyone would love (extra stages) is not returning just because it doesn't work properly with Random Stage Select, a feature most of us couldn't care less about? Wow.

About that code. It makes all stages selectable via Random, but breaks Random Stage Select. If you use the Stage Expansion pack, but not that code, Random Stage Select will work normally for the default stage slots, but the added slots will never get picked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's how it works. What's your excuse for not taking this route? You could put all your Tournament-legal stages in the original 41 slots.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Bent, I believe that's how it works, referring to the second paragraph.
I, however, haven't had an issue with Random Stage Select with Classic Expansion Pack.
Doqtor Kirby, can I see that code and see if it's the same one I have? It most likely is, but I'm just curious.

Doqtor Kirby

Minus Backroom
About that code. It makes all stages selectable via Random, but breaks Random Stage Select. If you use the Stage Expansion pack, but not that code, Random Stage Select will work normally for the default stage slots, but the added slots will never get picked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's how it works. What's your excuse for not taking this route? You could put all your Tournament-legal stages in the original 41 slots
This is exactly how it works, actually.
Bent, I believe that's how it works, referring to the second paragraph.
I, however, haven't had an issue with Random Stage Select with Classic Expansion Pack.
Doqtor Kirby, can I see that code and see if it's the same one I have? It most likely is, but I'm just curious.
Enable Random Expansion Stages v1.1 [Phantom Wings]:
* C26B7A6C 00000005
* 3860001F 2C120000
* 41820008 3860000A
* 7C101800 41800008
* 38000001 7C800379
* 60000000 00000000

This is the code that does the random thing.