Rant

Lightning

Ikesexual
Let me start off in saying that this is not a rant against the team. It's a rant about what the team is deciding to do with Pichu.
He is indeed a unique character and I think he's very cute all, but his uniqueness and cuteness will NOT make up for his appearance in Minus.

Start rant://

Why.

Why does Pichu inflict damage on himself? It's so pointless and it makes people not play him. It puts the player at a disadvantage against their opponent. Seriously, you do more damage to yourself then you give to your opponent. You are causing yourself to gain damage because you chose to attack. You are practically killing yourself because you are fighting back. Like, wow, omg, thanx logic.

No wonder Pichu is at the bottom, of almost all the tier lists I see.

I don't care if that's how he is in Melee. This isn't Melee.
"Oh, he can't control his powers."
"He's supposed to do damage to himself because he's young."

Bullshit.

There is no reason why he should still inflict damage to himself if PSAers have the ability to fix what was wrong with him in Melee. Pichu's only flaw was that.

It literally makes no sense to me. The only reason someone should inflict damage to themselves is if their moves are too powerful.

Remove the self-inflicting damage. I don't care if it was in Melee or not. I want Pichu for Brawl Minus, not Melee Pichu with some buffs.

//:End Rant

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
That's because I'm not afraid to speak my mind. :D

If Pichu still inflicts damage to himself in the next build, I'm going to remove it myself.

Damn Lightning! You're taking charge! :D

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Hahahahaha. Innovation instead of reiteration and a little renovation.

Other Aether

Mediator
I think of it like Pichu is in permanent NSM. What if you could toggle self-damage in exchange for losing a little damage with the electricity taunt?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
At that point...Pichu would have the power of Mr. Saturn lol

Darxmarx

I think of it like Pichu is in permanent NSM. What if you could toggle self-damage in exchange for losing a little damage with the electricity taunt?

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if the devs. will ultimately decide on that, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. I'd be behind it if they remove the self harm with the current strength, but then have the ability to go stronger with self harm.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
My original understanding was that the current Pichu will remain, with the option to remove self-harm but have weaker attacks, hence my Mr. Saturn comment lol.
Realize the difference between my original understanding and my previous post.

NEWB

They could either buff pichu even more or restrict to his most powerful tools.

Essentially giving him the aura ability wouldn't be bad either.

To be fair, pichu isn't just at the bottom due to self damage. He doesn't come off as being that good yet either.

Sometimes it takes them awhile, but the devs have made concepts that are out there work great. It may take a few patches, but that is how these things work.

Darxmarx

To be fair, pichu isn't just at the bottom due to self damage. He doesn't come off as being that good yet either.

Sometimes it takes them awhile, but the devs have made concepts that are out there work great. It may take a few patches, but that is how these things work.

That's very true. In my eyes, and maybe others, Pichu is just a weaker variation of Pikachu. He's fun to play when messing around, but too difficult to use when playing seriously. I'm sure the Minus team will improve him over time.

Lightning

Ikesexual
To be fair, pichu isn't just at the bottom due to self damage. He doesn't come off as being that good yet either
What are your reasons for Pichu being low on the tier list?

Personally, I feel like it's because of being very light, attacks are not as strong as the rest of cast, and the self inflicting damage is causing him to be placed at the bottom. My solution is to simply remove the self inflicting damage. It serves no purposes and is basically punishing you for playing Pichu. Removing that and giving him (or her?) a buff or 2 will make Pichu good.

I like the aura idea/Ike's current NSM. A small mouse dealing some major damage when at high percentage sounds badass. :cool:

NEWB

I like glyphs tier list. Without self damage, pichu can make c tier at best as is without self damage.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Okay then, yes I agree with you. It's an idea I believe could work both strategically and canonically.

Thor

Honestly, at this point, I'd like the devs to just put a 1.2X multiplier on all Pichu's current attack damage (not what he does to himself, but his attacks - this would mostly just net 1% extra on all attacks, and 2-3% extra on smashes) and a 1.1X multiplier on knockback (which I have been told would stack with the damage - i.e, dealing more damage causes more KB even if BKB and KBG values are the same) and see where we end up.

I don't have a problem with Pichu doing self-damage on SOME attacks if he gets more reward for it. Like, if you whiff fsmash a bunch, ok, you take damage, but you aren't hurt using nair or bair to approach, and if he's just too weak, let's see where he goes if he "powers up," heh heh.

This might be obscenely powerful, and they can tone it back down obviously, but what if, instead of making it a pseudo-Pikachu with added glass, we make it LV 100 Pichu with glass included?

We could remove self-damage, but I don't know if that's going far enough - I'd rather leave his risky gimmick for a bit (not forever - it might just hold him back too much), but make him far more rewarding for doing what he should do right now.

One other possible idea: if you've inflicted a certain amount of self-damage, you get some version of Pichu-NS mode? So like, the self-damage becomes rewarding if you get enough of it, but you can't just get hit to build it up?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I get the feeling that the devs don't want to use the same exact gimmick across multiple characters.

Getting stronger as you get more damaged is Lucario's gimmick.
Getting stronger once you deal a lot of damage is Ike's gimmick.
Hurting yourself by attacking is Pichu's gimmick.

Pichu is a "tiny mouse" Pokemon; he's supposed to be weak.

The only change I'd like to see made to him is cutting the self-damage in half, rounded up. Maybe a few small buffs. But Pichu should never make it past C Tier, if you ask me. It's the character you pick to embarrass your opponents with when you beat them as a baby mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I was actually hoping for the big things can come in small packages gimmick for Pichu.