Rant

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I was actually hoping for the big things can come in small packages gimmick for Pichu.
I'm OK with any buffs to Pichu as long as it's never stronger than Pikachu, unless it's paying a price for that strength.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Never better, perhaps attacks deal more damage than Pika, but less knockback....just ideas.

NEWB

What's this nonsense about intentionally making some one worse than the other? I suppose you want Mario better than luigi? That's just dumb.... If anything, pichu should be stronger than pikachu. Pichus powers are less tame than his evolution and are therefore stronger than his evolution that has steady control instead of power. The first step here should be to take the nuke away from pikachu and give it back to the original nuke.

It seems like the devs are working from the angle of big things coming in small packages.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
What's this nonsense about intentionally making some one worse than the other? I suppose you want Mario better than luigi? That's just dumb.... If anything, pichu should be stronger than pikachu. Pichus powers are less tame than his evolution and are therefore stronger than his evolution that has steady control instead of power. The first step here should be to take the nuke away from pikachu and give it back to the original nuke.

It seems like the devs are working from the angle of big things coming in small packages.
Pichu evolves into Pikachu. Can you name any Pokemon that becomes weaker when it evolves? Pichu's base stats are weaker than Pikachu's. If any of his attacks are stronger than Pikachu's version of them, that strength should come at a cost, like self-damage.

No one should ever choose Pichu over Pikachu because Pichu is just "better". It's called evolution, not devolution.

If Igglybuff was a playable character, you wouldn't want it to be better than Jigglypuff, would you?

NEWB

It would have its own niche that makes it unique. It would have its own matchups and mismatches like every other character. Recall that even though the devs are capturing canon things, they aren't really taking canon things that would nerf someone. Otherwise, they would make toon link dizzy after his grounded spin attack or give link a limited supply of arrows and bombs.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Here's an idea:
Pichu could learn Rage.
No damage to himself in normal mode.
He starts flashing red once he gains a certain percentage (100%?). Pichu is then in Rage Mode.. This is when he starts hurting himself and almost all his moves now have an electric hitbox. He can stays in it until he dies.
(Yes, I am aware that this is similar to Ike's NSM, but it is different in the way he achieves it, I think..) :D

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Here's an idea:
Pichu could learn Rage.
He starts flashing red once he gains a certain percentage (100%?). Pichu is then in Rage Mode.. This is when he starts hurting himself and almost all his moves now have an electric hitbox. He can stays in it until he dies.
(Yes, I am aware that this is similar to Ike's NSM, but it is different in the way he achieves it, I think..) :D
That's like a mix of Aura and No Sympathy Mode... You may be onto something here.

Then again, I have a hard time picturing Pichu ANGRY.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Pichu is angry because no one likes him. He was that little Melee reject.
Now, he can bathe in the blood of his enemies. They will tremble in fear in the presence of the little mouse.
Small, but powerful. Cute, but deadly.

I just want Pichu to not be the Melee reject he's known for. :p

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Why does Pichu inflict damage on himself? It's so pointless and it makes people not play him.

People don't play with him because he's Pichu. Or at least that's my reason.

Seriously, you do more damage to yourself then you give to your opponent.
Pichu deals 1/3 of the damage he dishes out in self damage. Although it is apparent now that he has killing issues which I'll look into.

No wonder Pichu is at the bottom, of almost all the tier lists I see.

The same could be said about Vbrawl Link. Truth is, people just don't know how to use him properly. Then again, he isn't able to be used properly because he has so many issues.

There is no reason why he should still inflict damage to himself if PSAers have the ability to fix what was wrong with him in Melee. Pichu's only flaw was that.
I think Melee Pichu's only problem was that he was a clone.

It literally makes no sense to me. The only reason someone should inflict damage to themselves is if their moves are too powerful.

That's the point though?

Remove the self-inflicting damage. I don't care if it was in Melee or not. I want Pichu for Brawl Minus, not Melee Pichu with some buffs.

I really think him killing earlier would be much better than removing something which is kind of unique to him. Not to mention the other possibilities that could come with the theme of out of control power...

Here's an idea:
Pichu could learn Rage.

Can Pichu learn rage?

Lightning

Ikesexual
People don't play with him because he's Pichu. Or at least that's my reason.

Pichu deals 1/3 of the damage he dishes out in self damage. Although it is apparent now that he has killing issues which I'll look into.

The same could be said about Vbrawl Link. Truth is, people just don't know how to use him properly. Then again, he isn't able to be used properly because he has so many issues.

I think Melee Pichu's only problem was that he was a clone.

That's the point though?

I really think him killing earlier would be much better than removing something which is kind of unique to him. Not to mention the other possibilities that could come with the theme of out of control power...

Can Pichu learn rage?
1. People don't play him because he hurts himself. I would play him, but the self damage is pushing me away. I'm even replacing him in my custom build.
2. I would rather have him weaker and not hurt himself.
3. I play vBrawl Link and I actually took the time to learn him. One of my mains in vBrawl actually.
4. I don't think so. I think it was self inflicting damage.
5. Pichu is not strong enough to have him inflict damage to himself.
6. Hurting himself is unique, but not beneficial. Literally, it doesn't help the player in anyway.
7. Does it absolutely have to be canon? I'm pretty sure Ike's NSM is not canon.. and, last time I checked, PSAers can do pretty much anything.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I don't know if that's the reason or not but combining these things... if he did inflict enough damage, like massive amounts, would he still be problematic? I've got some ideas on how he could be changed up while still feeling like Pichu.

We can do pretty much anything. Unfortunately though, the PSAers aren't the ones in charge of Minus. Weird I know. If it were up to me there'd be a lot more balancing going on... Ike wouldn't have Fire attacks, and Marth would be element free. But no, it doesn't have to be canon, I just think when you can make something canon it's a pretty cool feeling.

Lightning

Ikesexual
I don't know if that's the reason or not but combining these things... if he did inflict enough damage, like massive amounts, would he still be problematic? I've got some ideas on how he could be changed up while still feeling like Pichu.
I would like to hear your ideas. Maybe there's an idea better then Rage Mode. But, I still like the Rage Mode idea. I think it would suit Pichu well.
We can do pretty much anything. Unfortunately though, the PSAers aren't the ones in charge of Minus. Weird I know. If it were up to me there'd be a lot more balancing going on... Ike wouldn't have Fire attacks, and Marth would be element free. But no, it doesn't have to be canon, I just think when you can make something canon it's a pretty cool feeling.
I can understand. But then again, if it's beneficial to the character, it doesn't really have to be canon. (Even though it would be neat.)

Thor

Can I just ask, what does the fire element even do??? Besides annoy one when facing red pikmin of course... I get ice CAN freeze, and electric has extra hitstun (which feels cool on Marth's two attacks that have it, side+b down3 and side+b down4), but what does fire actually do? I don't get what it does that would merit it removing it from Ike or Marth's attacks, which is why I ask.

Rage mode... not a bad name, but... hm... I now have to think about this.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Fire does nothing outside of SSE since we have pokemon weaknesses off. They're simply elements that give characters flavor. Ike in FE is an earth element however and I believe Marth doesn't have one though I could be wrong. I was never interested in Marth. Anyway, the name rage mode makes me think of the Tekken or Naruto games.. and that's kind of bad. But the idea of it in itself isn't really a bad thing. But I was instead thinking it would look cool to give all of Dancing Blade the purple trail used in shield breaker. Possibly all of Marth's B moves in general. That would give him a bit of flavor. But this isn't about that so I'll save that for another time.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I like the idea of Pichu having a breaking point where he just can't hold back anymore, it suits him. Reminds me of Kid Gohan wailing on opponents in DBZ when they kept hurting his friends lol. Kien, I'd like to hear your ideas on a few characters. My custom build has already two of your creations(Dark Link & Mewtwo). If there's a way to make Pichu the very powerful glass cannon he should be, then I'd like to hear/do it.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Wait.... Of Ike is earth element, then why does eruption exist?
It was probably a nod to Roy's Neutral B, since Ike replaced him.

I like how Project M made Ike's flames blue, as a reference to the Final Battle of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Fire does nothing outside of SSE since we have pokemon weaknesses off. They're simply elements that give characters flavor.
Fire element also causes certain explosive items to activate immediately. A good example is the blast box.

NEWB

Doesn't fire element also have greater launch power than given by normal moves like a kick?

Oh yeah! Why aren't Ike's flames blue? Very flames, much blue. Wow!

Did I do that right?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Wait.... Of Ike is earth element, then why does eruption exist?

Likely because they didn't want people too sore about him replacing Roy.

Doesn't fire element also have greater launch power than given by normal moves like a kick?

Oh yeah! Why aren't Ike's flames blue? Very flames, much blue. Wow!

Did I do that right?

I'd say because some people are too scared of having the players think we're copying P:M. Honestly though, Fire Emblem did it first so we should be able to without that kind of mentality. And now that Roy is here I really think Ike could use some aura.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Dude, just because a rant started with Pichu doesn't mean Pichu has to be the focus of the entire topic. This isn't some lame site with douchebag admins like KCMM. We should just let people talk about what they want unless it's getting aggressive, or somehow getting in OUR way. Which this is not.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I say leave that decision up to the topic creator.

Lightning

Ikesexual
I say I do not mind where this topic goes.
As Kien said, as long as it doesn't turn into an aggressive fist fight, anything can be discussed. We've already discussed possibilities for Pichu that I hope will make it into the next build, so I really don't care if this goes off topic. If someone has a specific idea for Pichu, they can make their own topic and it can be discussed there. I was just posting my anger for Pichu's self-inflicting damage and I was hoping others would agree (which they did). But, the idea has made me think twice..

Soooo.. since this topic is a free-for-all now..

Can we give Ike purple flames? Cause purple's my favorite color and I think it would look cool. :D