New Ideas For Characters

A lot more characters added to the OP list, thinking about leaving out spy, sniper, and medic...

• Take out sniper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take out spy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Waluigi won't potentially have the stomping in his moveset?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
he has the stomps as his down air and his forward smash, but the smash one looks different :p

a fina smash like that would definitely be unique :) i could also see a strikers style final smash... but i think i'd really like to see a mario kart referencing one, like something to the effect of the shy guy's driving by w/ waluigi's faces on them or dropping bob-bombs or something :p

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
more ideas came to me about waluigi:

1.) a down B that rolls a small bob-bomb that only explodes once HIT (unlike current bob-bombs)

2.) a down B that rolls a bob-bomb that acts almost exactly like electrode in that it can be a dud, or be thrown, and also not only can it be a dud but release smoke like the smoke ball, which can stun enemies and/or adds a flower effect... so this would make it a chance item, and in turn, it should be able to hurt waluigi too... also, duds should be able to not explode at all if they aren't moved after they appear to be a dud (just to make it a little wonkier that waluigi was using it)

3.) a down B that rolls out a bomb that is (sloppily) painted to disguise as a soccer ball with a big fuse sticking out... we can make it so instead of just disappearing when this item's timer runs out, it'll also explode, but until then be kicked around like crazy, as tribute to his strikers games... also, maybe add some start-up to this move, as if he has to disguise it on the spot, and if he's hurt during this start-up, it'll just explode right there..?

4.) a down B that kicks out a walking bob-bomb (yes, he would literally just kick it out, like it was at his feet already) that explodes after a certain amount of hits, or just be thrown or bounced (like the soccer ball idea) to abuse or throw at enemies, but it can blow up in your face right as you throw it if it's taken too much damage, or not explode at all and release smoke when "time's up" ...maybe the timer starts after it's first hit, and more hits speed this up... also, this item should flash red instead of transparent when it's timer is near the end, so it can actually warn players it's about to blow up... it should do a little less damage than the current bob-bomb item does and basically be a strength somewhere between link and toonlink's bombs' strengths :p ... (maybe this can even replace the mr. saturn or current bob-bomb, but walk a little faster, like how in mario 4 they seem to run a little)

5.) a side B that looks like waluigi's about to pull out a bomb (like his down B), but it detonates in his face and blasts him off... basically the move would be to kind of pay homage to how luigi's side B is the green missile, but instead waluigi will make use of the ""totally-on-purpose"" purple missile... it would go a little higher and be interruptable with A attacks (and maybe stops upon hitting someone to prevent that aspect being abused), and be a little stronger and faster than luigi's green missile, but will only charge either over time or as you hit foes... once charged all the way, his back pocket will have grey smoke coming out of it...

another idea, and my favorite, is to keep his side B the same, but make the "purple missile" go over his down B if it's left charging long enough... maybe it's also similar to wario's waft in this way, but at zero charge, he drops smokeballs and duds (smokeballs would just be aesthetic), at medium damage, he'd drop the walking bob-bomb from the move above labeled number 4.. when that bomb is ready, his pocket would have white smoke coming out of it... ...then they purple missile move would be over a fully charged down B, which would be symbolized instead by a lot of black smoke coming out of his back pocket, and would be a little stronger, and blast through enemies, but not be interruptable, and if you miss your target can launch you almost as far as pikachu's fully charged side B (but at an angle a little higher than luigi's green missile)

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
The one thing I'm confused about is why it has bob-omb related. Do us, as Smash Brothers and I assume Mario, players know that little about Waluigi? The thing about him is that he isn't a main game character. What can we gather from the games that he is featured in that will allow us to think of a moveset and personality/fighting style for him? Waluigi is an idea I can get behind, but having ALL/most of his moves bob-omb related, in my opinion, can get old.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
well the idea of bomb related attacks is because in mario kart double dash, each character got certain "special" items randomly, and waluigi (and wario's) special items were bob-bombs, iirc... also, he used smoke balls in the mario baseball games, so i figured it'd be a fun mix-up if the bombs were sometimes duds to reference that... and the biggest reason i want to include bombs as a move for JUST waluigi is his debut in mario party 3: WALUIGI ISLAND... for those of you who have not played this game, on waluigi's stage, there are about 18 spaces on this board map that surround a giant-ass f*cking bomb that detonates if you land on certain spaces surrounding it five times... this bomb would make you lose all of your coins if you are on a space next to it when it detonates, and waluigi's had a bomb-theme heavily surrounding him ever since...

but there is also another theme that seemed to start following waluigi since this game, and that would be the piranha plants... on that same waluigi board map (in mario party 3) there are countless piranha plants in the background, next to booby traps, signs with luigi's face crossed out, a giant mountain of spaces near an area where every space will be switched out each turn, as if they're setting it up each turn, and the giant aforementioned bomb, as if they are his hench-men setting all of these traps up... also, the piranha plant is his partner in the two player "battle mode" in mario party three, and in mario kart games, waluigi's racing stage, "waluigi stadium", has numerous piranha plants appearing from pipes near the end of the stage as stage hazards, which appear here much larger than on any other stage in mario kart (double dash or wii, not sure about the hand-helds) so if anyone has an ideas as to how piranha plants or something could be incorporated into waluigi's moveset, to better fit his theme than the current punching and kicking thing, then feel free (obligated) to post your thoughts here :D

EDIT: sorry, i was mistaken about waluigi's baseball stuff, in the GC one, his star pitch and bat is that he throws an eggplant along with the baseball or bats so the players are confused as to which one to catch... in sluggers (the wii installment), his special pitch is a ball that gets very large just before getting to the batter, then shrinks back to mess up their timing, and when batting he hits the ball so it goes in a zig-zag path instead of just going straight out...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Okay. Perhaps for Waluigi, one would need a dedicated team, especially with a member to go back through his appearances and collect some data.

One thing I have noticed about Brawl is that we're lacking some villains. We have Bowser, Gannondorf, and I guess one could count Dedede and MetaKnight as villains too. I realize some villains are just beasts without much finesse, but what are some villains out there that could use some attention? Bring a dark side to Minus.

Thor

Nah, Minus is lighthearted.

Or we could add Mewtwo (a villain who is eventually not evil).

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
The thing about Mewtwo is we would need to consider how adverse we are to clones.

Thor

Who is Mewtwo a clone of? And gawd please don't say Lucario as they were both supposed to be in Brawl but time constraints so he was cut...

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Indeed, Aether. How creative can we get when it comes to an old favorite? Do we want to fulfill innovation, nostalgia, or both? What can we do to make Mewtwo our own? The Shadow Ball seems to be an old favorite, but perhaps that is due to PM being like Melee.

Other Aether

Mediator
Indeed, Aether. How creative can we get when it comes to an old favorite? Do we want to fulfill innovation, nostalgia, or both? What can we do to make Mewtwo our own? The Shadow Ball seems to be an old favorite, but perhaps that is due to PM being like Melee.
I agree that we should make new characters instead of revamping old ones. What about *plot twist* plain old Mew! I picture Mew being kind of like a slightly less offensive-oriented Ness. Faster, lighter, and more Psychic attacks. Maybe even Metronome, which uses one of several attacks.

How about Hammer Bros? Imagine if Ice Climbers were big, heavy and slow. Also, make them harder to separate than Ice Climbers. Maybe even impossible to separate. Their neutral-b could act like the Hammer Bros assist trophy (like a stronger, slower Chef) which would be cool.

Infernape, playing a hyper-aggresive combo game (think Little Mac from Smash 4)...

Lanky Kong, playing similarly to Smash 4 Diddy, with simply absurd reach with elastic attacks. He's a character I could draft 5 completely different movesets for. PLEASE put him in XD

Wolf Link+Midna?

EDIT: Since I said I could think up a ton of movesets for Lanky, here's the first that comes to mind:

Neutral Special: Gives a few frames of invincibility and then Lanky does a short-range grab. If it connects, then a Cargo Hold is initiated.

Up Special: Baboon Balloon. Inflates like a balloon. Can be steered, but momentum is gained slowly (although the momentum cap is high). Floats upwards by default. Has 12% armor during active frames. No damaging hitboxes, although releasing it generates a gust of air that pushes foes away. Has very long (20 seconds) air time, and air time is refreshed every time Lanky is attacked.

Down Special: OrangStand/OrangSprint. When activated, Lanky stands on his hands and continues to do so until B is released. Can move extremely quickly left and right, and has extremely low ending lag/can be jump-cancelled. Very little (5 frames) turn-around lag.

Side-special: His Grape gun from DK64. Relatively laggy start-up (15-20 frames) but low end lag and quick projectile speed. You know, the gun that's actually a cardboard tube that he blows through like you would to shoot spitwads...

Jab1: Extends one arm in a elastic-y boxing motion.
Jab2: Extends the other in a similar motion.
Jab 3: Extends both arms at once. The jab combo is just like a combo he had in DK64.

fTilt: Extends an arm extremely far forwards. High reach, medium knockback. Think Dedede's fTilt.

uTilt: Swings a hand over his head with massive coverage and good range. Think Marth's uTilt.

dTilt: Sweeps low across the floor with first one arm, then the other. Similar to Bowser's dTilt.

fSmash: Huge forward swipe with a bit of range behind him at the end (like ZSS' fSmash). Has the cape and reflector effects.

uSmash: Raises an arm up REALLY high. If A is held and the move is sweetspotted (his hand) then he grabs the foe and smashes them against the ground.

dSmash: Simian Slam from DK64. Like Donkey Kong's Down Special, but much faster start-up and ending lag. Charge it to use Super Simian Slam or Super Duper Simian Slam depending on charge levels.

Dash Attack: Spins around with arms extended like his running attack in DK64. Hits in front and behind him, and he slides a fair ways while doing it.

nAir: Extends his arms to either side of him.

fAir: An uppercut with decent power.

uAir: Locks his hands and swings his arms over his head, then under his feet like a jump rope. Very similar to Falcon's uAir.

dAir: Flips upside down and extends both arms below him. Relatively weak meteor smash, but high range.

bAir: Spins around backwards with a backhanded slap. Quick and powerful.

Grab: Practically a tether grab. Extends his arm extremely far, grabs the foe, and pulls them back to him.

Pummel: Slaps the foe. Moderate speed, 3 damage.

fThrow: Throws the foe forwards and bounces them off the ground (sort of like Ice Climber's dThrow, with no tech window). Fairly low angle.

uThrow: Holds his arm in front of him and then throws the foe upwards with a quick flick of the wrist. Extremely low ending lag and moderately low KBG.

dThrow: Slams his foe against the ground like Donkey Kong.

bThrow: Casually throws the foe over his head. High KBG and BKB.

Final Smash: Plays his DK64 Music on his Trombone. When the pitch is rising, he produces a strong damaging windbox that pushes people away. When the pitch falls, he produces a strong damaging windbox that pulls people towards him. Anyone who touches him takes 20 damage and a fair bit of knockback.

sTaunt: Plays his DK64 Melody on the Trombone, maybe? Don't want to duplicate his Final Smash, but I want to play that song so badly! Maybe his up-down-up supertaunt could play it, like Luigi's? If so, just make this one be him jump-roping with his arms for a while.
uTaunt: Stands on one hand and chitters.
dTaunt: Makes funny faces.

Victory1: Plays his DK64 Melody on his Trombone, but with lots of music notes.
Victory2: Does a handstand and runs around the screen.
Victory3: Jump-ropes with his arms.
Lose/No Contest: Claps in a ridiculously over-exaggerated manner, occasionally blowing a raspberry.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
This is good, getting the creativity going. However, my words were not to put down revamping old characters, but to express that it is usually more difficult to make something new when starting with an old foundation. Unless we start from scratch.

Back in the Melee days, I questioned having Mew as a character. Would he/she float at, perhaps, Gannondorf waist level because Mew is tiny and last time I checked, Mew doesn't touch the ground lol.

I always thought of having another (but different) fighting team like Popo and Nana. I considered first Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, their moves oriented towards their Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time appearance. I'd have to research some moves on my DS emulator though.
Hammer Bros could work, NeutralB being their classic hammer throw, better yet UpB like Yoshi's FriedEgg Throw. How to incorporate teamwork?

I don't know much about Infernape. He's the final evolution of the fire starter of Pokemon Gen4 right? Chimchar?

Wolf Link & Midna....Yeah, I'd personally love to see it. I can see some grabs drafted in my mind. Pummel as well. Dash attack, Jab combo. UpB recovery using Midna's fluid hand thing similar to a tether. Yes..I like this. Needs work though.

Aether, you could draft 5 different movesets for Lanky? Can we get a run-through of just one? We could use some DK64 reps.

As I was writing this, I realized one thing and remembered another. Realized that a lot of my friends who played N64 really love the Banjo games...ideas? I haven't played much of it myself to get a lot of moves in, but I could think of a couple. Remembered that I found a Dark Interloper Link on Brawl Vault yesterday, that I think Kien made. It looks cool but I haven't tested it yet. Also found a cool Skull Kid(Majora's Mask).

Other Aether

Mediator
I don't know much about Infernape. He's the final evolution of the fire starter of Pokemon Gen4 right? Chimchar?

Aether, you could draft 5 different movesets for Lanky? Can we get a run-through of just one? We could use some DK64 reps.
Infernape is... Well, a blazing monkey. It looks perfect for a Smash Bros game.

And I just drafted a moveset for Lanky. It's in my original post.

EDIT: I have a model for Lanky, and I know how to make a PSA... If only I knew how to animate...

EDIT2: If any devs are interested, I've got plenty of ideas for the other Kongs (Tiny, Chunky and to a lesser extent Funky and Cranky).

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Wow. Well drafted. Do you know of any animators on the forum?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
awesome ideas :) one idea for lanky, which i think diddy can have too: down B as the orange grenades from DK64, instead of bananas?... i thought of this earlier:

if dixie was put in, i'd give her diddy's side smash and current down B, and maybe change diddy's down B to the orange bombs and his side smash to the "chimpy charge" headbutt thing from DK64 (the one you get from cranky) and it would charge a little like Wario's side smash (with the kicing feet before charging) ... also, i'd give her donkey's up B, since in DK country it was originally her move, and i'd give DK the barrel blast as an up B in mid air, and the "DK launch pad" from DK64... maybe this could be interchangeable, but there are no refences to these moves which would be awesome to see

but with the idea of putting in more DK64 characters, then maybe some moves like this could move around to different characters, like chunky, tiny and lanky, versus dixie... but it's definitely possible that eventually a lot of these characters, or maybe just a few like lanky and dixie can make it in, maybe even funky kong could make an appearance... or maybe "battle krusha", since we mentioned more "bad guys" coming into the game :D

EDIT: ninja'd on the note of chunky and tiny xP ...still haven't seen anything about battle krusha though, who's essentially a commando K'Rool, so all's well ^^

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i think chunky could get that gorilla punch thing as a down B or neutral B, and work like DK's fully charged B -- or more like falcon's punch, in that it's not charge based, but still with the armor frames DK's punch has, and maybe more start up than falcon punch for balance... i could also see this as a side B... ...i could see this guy's down B and neutral B be either his pineapple launcher, or the floor slam charge thing that all those kongs can learn :p

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Careful now. If we do add in one of these other side Kongs, that makes three in the game. Three that are different from each other.
1. Is it worth adding more than one other Kong?
2. If so, how different would he/she be from the others?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
well if going with DK 64, then there are three kongs who were only in that game (as far as i know)... it would feel weird to me to put in just one or two out of those three and leave the other one behind :p ...but if going with country, there is one more kong to add... dixie... in either of these, funky (and cranky) is (are) side characters with a few moves who COULD get in, but probably won't make it... chunky tiny and lanky were pretty cool characters too xP ...if they don't become playable, i'd still love to see them as assist trophies, especially since a lot of characters who are currently assist trophies could be cool characters instead (waluigi, shadow, grey fox, lyn, etc)... so maybe if the roster would be too big with these guys, then i'd still be happy just to see them as assists or stage hazards or something, and then maybe just include characters with more games under their belt, like dixie, and maybe funky (they were both in a few sports games too :p)

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Here's a question: Can we make/add/replace Assist Trophies?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
hmm... i think they count as articles, though i have no idea... i've seen pokemon get reskins and motion changes, like a golem doing metronome that replaces electrode, so maybe that means that their skins and motion can be editted, but i don't know about their hitboxes etc, so maybe that could present a problem... ...and i really doubt that assist trophies can be added, although i really really hope they can, but i have no experience, so i don't have a clue xP

Other Aether

Mediator
awesome ideas :) one idea for lanky, which i think diddy can have too: down B as the orange grenades from DK64
I wish. Unfortunately, I don't think it's nearly that simple. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Careful now. If we do add in one of these other side Kongs, that makes three in the game. Three that are different from each other.
1. Is it worth adding more than one other Kong?
2. If so, how different would he/she be from the others?
I agree that only one extra kong is necessary. I chose Lanky because Chunky would basically be a powered-up Donkey, and Tiny might be getting into Smash 4. Meanwhile, Lanky (my favorite Kong) is sitting at the bottom of the barrel and nobody except DK64 fans even know who he is. I personally loved DK64 and think it deserves a lot more reps than Pokemon or some other over-done series that Nintendo is trying to milk far too much. Additionally, I'd say Diddy is more of a DKC rep than DK64, and Donkey Kong is probably between both, and DK64 is completely different than DKC... So you could argue that DK64 has no real reps. It needs one imo.

EDIT: I've talked my brother into potentially working with me to animate Lanky. I've got his model, I know PSA, and he's going to learn animating very soon. Lanky also seems like the easiest Kong to animate, since he mostly functions in straight extentions of his arms.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
So...we may have a Lanky Kong full character in the making.
Damn, I just checked the BrawlEx files. No Donkey Kong module. If/When this comes to fruition, who will we put him over?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i can see it using diddy, if we need to.. his body is around the same size, and he already has a shooter too

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I don't see a diddy one either. I'll look into the sequence of codes to see the difference between the regular module and the EX module of a character. I know that the ex has 2 more memory sectors than the normal one( 6 versus 8). Perhaps I could make one...no promises though.