Is Pichu too small? Check this pic and vote!

Is Pichu too small? Should it be made bigger in 4.0f?

• Yes. Pichu should be bigger in 4.0f. (how much bigger?)

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No. Pichu is the perfect size as-is.

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
I'm not sure you could have missed the point harder if you'd tried. Please consider what "polarizing" means (I defined it for you in my third sentence) and retry.

SilverStarApple

I'm not sure you could have missed the point harder if you'd tried. Please consider what "polarizing" means (I defined it for you in my third sentence) and retry.
So... It isn't just the one guy, huh? Remind me to never say something like "Wow, the weather's wonderful today" on this site, or I'd be raged at or snarked at again. Truly, a fate worse than death.

Anyway.

Is Pichu a polarizing character? Yes, and Minus is a polarizing mod. Removing something for being polarizing goes against everything Minus stands for. Is Pichu hard to hit? Yes, that's the whole point of his existence. A lot of people on this thread keep up this annoying doublethink thing where one moment, nothing can hit Pichu so it's broken, and the next, only a few attacks can hit Pichu so it's broken, and he counters certain characters so it's broken (G+W counters him but lol who cares? This is a hate thread not a "Maybe counters are ok" thread). Not to mention the pseudo-crew battle system we have going on here. How outnumbered am I in this thread? At least four to one.

If mob rule is really the only thing on this site that matters, then fine, make him larger, giving his attack hitboxes a minor buff to fit the larger character. Change the tagline to "Breaking the limits, except when the mob wants certain limits put into play" and remove Wario's absolutely-stupid "Why was this even a thing, there's a difference between silly and stupid" shit-out-a-crate move, and give more lag to Pikmin Pluck, since the next version is going to be the "Sane and balanced one", right?

Is Pichu a polarizing character? Yes, and Minus is a polarizing mod. Removing something for being polarizing goes against everything Minus stands for.

Minus is meant to be fun. Minus is meant to be quirky. Minus is meant to make you laugh at the ridiculousness that sometimes happens. Minus is meant to add references to characters' original games.

But none of that means Minus is meant to be polarizing. In fact, Minus is - and always has been - meant to be balanced.

hange the tagline to "Breaking the limits, except when the mob wants certain limits put into play"

Even in the early days, they nerfed characters when necessary. In the first few versions, Luigi had a much stronger up-B and a couple other things, which lead to easy off-the-top combos. Think pre-patch Bayonetta, but without the side-to-side movement. So they nerfed him.

I also remember hearing that Sheik's fair used to kill at 60% from onstage. That's way too much power for such a safe move, so they toned it down.

Bowser used to have always-active heavy armor, but that was extremely polarizing, so they removed it. (Fast characters: "How am I supposed to pressure him?" Ganondorf: "What armor?")

The first two were totally broken characters, and I think you'd have been on board with those nerfs. Bowser, on the other hand, wasn't broken. I don't think he was even close to top tier, much less an undisputed champion. But they changed him anyway, and afterwards, he was more fun to play against, he was at least as strong as before, and he didn't lose what made him unique.

A lot of people on this thread keep up this annoying doublethink thing where one moment, nothing can hit Pichu so it's broken, and the next, only a few attacks can hit Pichu so it's broken

I don't remember anyone claiming "nothing can hit Pichu." It was always "certain useful moves can't reliably hit Pichu, giving Pichu an unfair advantage." (Not necessarily a large unfair advantage, but still an unfair advantage.)

G+W counters him but lol who cares? This is a hate thread not a "Maybe counters are ok" thread

I don't approve of G&W countering Pichu, either. That's why I concluded with "the solution is to nerf Oil Panic."

Now, I do realize that there's no way to totally avoid counters. Zelda will always have an advantage against Bowser, unless the dev team removes a large part of what makes those characters unique. The difference is, everyone juggles Bowser. Bowser is designed around this fact, so even though Zelda is above-average at juggling Bowser, he still has the tools to deal with her.

Not to mention the pseudo-crew battle system we have going on here. How outnumbered am I in this thread? At least four to one.

More importantly, you've been arguing against players who are significantly better than you and I are, but you don't seem to be taking them very seriously. I'm not saying you should automatically believe them; just that when experts disagree with you, you need to at least consider the possibility that you're wrong.

If mob rule is really the only thing on this site that matters, then fine, make him larger, giving his attack hitboxes a minor buff to fit the larger character.

This seems reasonable. (Except the comment about "mob rule," which was completely unnecessary.)

And don't worry: Pichu won't lose all its uniqueness just because it's a bit larger. It will still have its weak/strong moves, its 5-part recovery, its quick movement, and its Thunderbolt strings. And in fact, it'll still be able to take advantage of being small, as long as it commits to it. For instance, it could crawl under Falco's lasers or dash-dance to avoid Wario's bair.

remove Wario's absolutely-stupid "Why was this even a thing, there's a difference between silly and stupid" shit-out-a-crate move, and give more lag to Pikmin Pluck

Someone suggested making the crate optional, but it sounds like Pin Clock is leaning towards "no." The crate is definitely useful for approaching quickly, even if I personally can't use it very well.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Pikmin Pluck, but someone definitely suggested nerfing Pikmin Throw.

None of these are polarizing in the same way Pichu is, but feel free to mention them in the suggestion thread.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Since the points against Pichu's size have been explained clearly, I think it's about time to stop the back and forth here. There's no question that him being so small is a problem, and not much will change by making him a little more hittable like the other small characters.

This is a mod where everyone has the right to their opinion or suggestions, and so long as any suggestion is well thought out and justified, it will be heard. Nobody is ganging up on anyone, and nobody here is lacking in intellect. All of you have different views, and that's all there is to it.

I've been watching this thread for a while, and even explained to certain members personally how this debate works, and quite frankly, I think it's time to leave it to the devs to decide what they're gonna do. I'm hoping not to see any bashing or provoking posts from anyone for any reason from here on out, regardless of their views.