Community Request Thread for the next version after 4.0BC

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
:wolf:Remove Super Armor on UpB: Absolutely, recoveries should be interactive, not free

Thank you, my point exactly. And any word on these other changes?
---
Give Knockback to Wolf's aerial Shine. Currently, it only forces foes into Flinch state, which is impossible to combo off of. [Kymaera K1ng]
---
Revert Air-Dodge to Melee version AND/OR make Shine Wolf Flash cancellable. Either change would allow Wolf to WaveShine, essential for his ground neutral, pressure, and combo game. [Kymaera K1ng]
---

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
There's no way to adjust Dedede's without redoing the whole move and removing the armor from it would make his recovery infinitely worse. It's already "mediocre" so there's no reason to make it any more bad. The armor goes away at the apex of his jump so it's not like the move isn't punishable or doesn't spend a lot of its time vulnerable.

Since you continue to harp on this example, what you're saying is that if I were to dedicate time to alter DDD's recovery would you consider putting it into the game? I have a few ideas that could potentially work

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Since you continue to harp on this example, what you're saying is that if I were to dedicate time to alter DDD's recovery would you consider putting it into the game? I have a few ideas that could potentially work
I mean if they're cool but Dedede's recovery really doesn't need to be altered, it's fine as it is.

Shouldn't stop ideas from being proposed though because who knows what ideas can pop up.

Thank you, my point exactly. And any word on these other changes?
---
Give Knockback to Wolf's aerial Shine. Currently, it only forces foes into Flinch state, which is impossible to combo off of. [Kymaera K1ng]
---
Revert Air-Dodge to Melee version AND/OR make Shine Wolf Flash cancellable. Either change would allow Wolf to WaveShine, essential for his ground neutral, pressure, and combo game. [Kymaera K1ng]
---
These weren't ignored it's just we're only answering several at a time because busy

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Updated, lemme know if I missed anything.

Marked this one as "UNDER CONSIDERATION" instead of "APPROVED" since I didn't see a definite "Yes" in Pin's response:

:sheik:Sheik:

---
Please give her a reverse hitbox on Back-Air. [Kymaera K1ng]
Pin Clock: "This adds strategy and seems like a fun addition."
---

Last edited:

Sly

https://discord.gg/ENnJMdU
The official download for Brawl Minus should be able to be unzipped with WinRAR or any other unzipper the player desires. Limiting the unzipping to 7-Zip (and worse, not making it clear that 7-Zip must be used) does nothing but needlessly prevent potential players from ever getting into the game.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
The official download for Brawl Minus should be able to be unzipped with WinRAR or any other unzipper the player desires. Limiting the unzipping to 7-Zip (and worse, not making it clear that 7-Zip must be used) does nothing but needlessly prevent potential players from ever getting into the game.
This. This x10. I don't care how small you want the archive to be, when the mod is this small player-wise accessability > everything else.

baltarc

Charizard: Let him remain stationary in the air while using neutral B, or at the very least cancel it. Nothing worse than accidentally inputting a neutral B offstage and watching Charizard plummet to his death - even though he hovers off the stage when using the grounded version of the move.

Thor

Just commenting to say that Super DDD jump doesn't snap ledge IIRC, so it basically sucks as a recovery move. That move not having armor would make DDD a laughing stock offstage [probably worse than Duck Hunt Dog in Smash 4].

Charizard: Let him remain stationary in the air while using neutral B, or at the very least cancel it. Nothing worse than accidentally inputting a neutral B offstage and watching Charizard plummet to his death - even though he hovers off the stage when using the grounded version of the move.

I propose one stall per air time [if a stall in the air is allowed] - no need to watch someone use the move to stall offstage for a while [in teams this sounds reeeeally dumb if you have a teammate good at avoiding them, hardly unbeatable but just obnoxious], and frankly if you mis-input twice... lol [same thing happens to Marth with sideb as well, so it seems like a safe metric].

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Welp, I didn't get much of a response to this, so I'm just going to make it into a Request:

---
Please change the input for Falcon's Super Taunt (Instant Falcon Punch Charge) from "Up-Taunt, Down-Taunt, Up-Taunt" to "Hold Up-Taunt". [Bent 00]
A complex input like "Up-Taunt, Down-Taunt, Up-Taunt" is fine for Luigi's dancing Secret Taunt, and it's not as much of a problem with Lucario's ULTRATAUNT, but it IS a problem with Falcon's Instant Falcon Punch Charge. As I've mentioned on the forums, if you mash too fast, Falcon will just twitch in place. But the real problem is how this unnecessarily complicated input makes charging an Instant Falcon Punch unreliable. You can generally only do it safely after earning a KO, and even then you have merely a few seconds to get it charged. I think it's too easy to mess up the "Up Taunt > Down Taunt > Up Taunt" input, which will keep you from getting the charge you deserved, and may even get you punished by the returning opponent.

There's no reason for Falcon's Instant Falcon Punch Charge Super Taunt to have such an error-prone input. I'd like it to be "Hold Up Taunt" instead. You can't mess that up! Save the complex inputs for stuff that you really don't want to trigger by accident, or stuff that is meant to be "Secret" -- not regularly-used moveset elements that can only be activated in clutch situations. When it comes to Smash Bros., streamlined, reliable controls are much better than complex, unreliable controls.

Note: It's been pointed out that one can map unused buttons to Up-Taunt and Down-Taunt to make inputting Falcon's Super Taunt easier, but I've tried this -- even though I use all the buttons already -- and it just makes the twitching more likely to happen. It's not a good solution. Mashing the Gamecube controller's tiny D-Pad works more often, but that is not reliable either.
---

baltarc

I propose one stall per air time [if a stall in the air is allowed] - no need to watch someone use the move to stall offstage for a while [in teams this sounds reeeeally dumb if you have a teammate good at avoiding them, hardly unbeatable but just obnoxious], and frankly if you mis-input twice... lol [same thing happens to Marth with sideb as well, so it seems like a safe metric].

This seems fair. Pikachu's Bair and Ike's Uair have a similar mechanic, as well as several other moves, I believe.

You can footstool Yoshi out of his midair jumps. Yoshi can then attack you if he thinks you're going for a footstool, at the cost of his armor.

I find that I can do Falcon's super-taunt reliably using my right hand. Place your index finger on the down arrow and your middle finger on the up arrow. Start the taunt by pressing down with your middle finger, then perform a full circle (up -> left -> down -> right -> up). You aren't mashing with your fingers, you're moving your whole hand in a circular motion. The game ignores the extra inputs (left and right taunt).

Ike's uair is not like Pikachu's bair. The only reason you can't seem to use it multiple times is because it works best when you're moving upwards, and you only have one midair jump. However, if you go to Saffron City and do repeated walljump-uairs, you'll get the boost each time.

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
So theres this thing with fox. If you shine and press up on the control stick you jump. Well that's normal right, because its tap jump. The problem is that if you shine and press up on the control stick when you have tap jump off, then you jump. Test this yourself if you don't believe me. Is it possible to remove that and make it so you can't tap jump out of shine when you don't have tap jump on?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I find that I can do Falcon's super-taunt reliably using my right hand. Place your index finger on the down arrow and your middle finger on the up arrow. Start the taunt by pressing down with your middle finger, then perform a full circle (up -> left -> down -> right -> up). You aren't mashing with your fingers, you're moving your whole hand in a circular motion. The game ignores the extra inputs (left and right taunt).
The point of my Request for the input to be changed to the simpler "Hold Up-Taunt" is that "There is no good reason for such an often-used mechanic to have such a complicated, error-prone input". Even if you are able to execute it reliably -- at the cost of giving up control of the right side of your controller for a moment (!) -- what's the excuse for the input being that needlessly complex? Why can't it be simple? I want to fight my opponent, not my controls! Whenever I flub Falcon's Super Taunt input just because it couldn't have a simpler, more intuitive input, that's a failure of game design IMO.

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
Make it so we could have a choice between having buffer and not having buffer. Some prefer the former others prefer the latter.

Also can we have it so after gecko the game does one of two things it either 1)Goes straight to multiplayer and from multiplayer you could press a certain button to go to controls and you could press another button to go back or 2)Since you guys obviously are using the strap screen for promotion can we make a code so that on the "press A" screen right before Elliot yells "break the limits" redirect to other menus. If possible we could have it redirect to certain menus depending on button inputs and have a list of menus it redirects it edged into the art on a part of that screen?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Make it so we could have a choice between having buffer and not having buffer. Some prefer the former others prefer the latter.
Brawl+ (the predecessor to Minus) actually had Manual Buffer over Handicap by default. Vanilla Brawl and Minus have always had 10 frames of Buffer. If we decide to replace Handicap with something new in Minus, I'd suggest replacing it with Stock Control instead of Manual Buffer. If you ask me, Minus Buffer should remain a universal 10 Frames, 6 Frames minimum.

If you'd like to replace Handicap with Manual Buffer in your personal build, just add this code to your codeset:

Ignore Handicap [Y.S.]
* 04050550 38000000

Buffer scale = Handicap scale [Y.S, Phantom Wings]
* C285B784 00000006
* 807F002C 3C809018
* 806300F4 60840FDC
* 1C63005C 7C83202E
* 3860000A 2C040064
* 40800008 7C641BD6
* 60000000 00000000

Also can we have it so after gecko the game does one of two things it either 1)Goes straight to multiplayer and from multiplayer you could press a certain button to go to controls and you could press another button to go back or 2)Since you guys obviously are using the strap screen for promotion can we make a code so that on the "press A" screen right before Elliot yells "break the limits" redirect to other menus. If possible we could have it redirect to certain menus depending on button inputs and have a list of menus it redirects it edged into the art on a part of that screen?
I've seen this kind of Request somewhere before, and IIRC a Dev said that it's not possible because Brawl loads its menus in a certain way that cannot be changed to accommodate the features you're asking for.

Last edited:

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
I've seen this kind of Request somewhere before, and IIRC a Dev said that it's not possible because Brawl loads its menus in a certain way that cannot be changed to accommodate the features you're asking for.

I want to know exactly what makes it impossible because I plan on figuring out how to make this a possibility

AGentleStar

Video Editor
Hello, hey. It's me again. Oh boy. Everyone loves Star and his opinions./s
Whatever, let's get this over with.
When two characters are airborne and one of them is launched, they can collide with the other player. This would elongate doubles matches and isn't really fun to launch someone only for them to be saved by hitting their teammate. Now, I do like having teammates try to hit each other to help them recover, but character collisions aren't really fair since they don't take damage from it. plus it's pretty unpredictable imo.
The graphics on Samus' down special, the power bomb, and Ganondorf's long pressed neutral special, the Gandouken, are really bright. My eyes hurt if I play Samus for too long. I worry what would happen if people who are prone to seizures have one because of those moves. Also, the sound effect for power bombs are really loud for some reason. I hope this gets fixed. As for Ganon, maybe we should rework the wave gandouken to have more balanced hitboxes rather than use the old gandouken. idk.
*sigh* what happened. I know Elliot can make better narrations than that. I realize I'll get flack for this, but I feel this should be addressed. Some of the Character selection clips sound to forced and/or don't mesh well with other lines like "The winner is...". I know it's hard to set this stuff up, but don't just turn in your first draft and expect an A, as the saying goes.
I dunno what the difference between this and Project M's sound coding is, but characters yell out their death cry way too early and way too often. They could get hit by a smash attack at 70% and yell out their cry, but they won't be KOed for a while. This leads to them yelling every time they are launched. This is especially annoying for characters like Fox and Kirby. A good example of this can be seen in this Tool Assisted Superplay where Fox yells loudly every time he's hit.
Captain Falcon and Fox are given moves very similar to the abilities they could do in Melee with some added flair. The problem is they are very light. Sure, CF can fast fall pretty well, but that's not weight. Their shorthops are too high to combo the same way as Melee. What I'm trying to say is that universal weights of the characters is very weak. This doesn't need to apply to all characters, but Fox and Falcon have it the worse. I know that Brawl Zeus got it right with their Fox, so why can't Minus. Oh, wait. I remember why. Because changing characters is hard work and it would be "unrealizable"...or at least until they beat us in a tournament. Then, we nerf 'em to hell.

Thank you for reading my suggestions. If you disagree or agree with me, let me know by leaving me a message. Any and all comments are appreciated, et cetera, et cetera.

Sly

https://discord.gg/ENnJMdU
If it would be at all possible, unique nameplates would be dope. There's one notable Smash 4 mod (pictured below) that styles them by series, for example.

57bc795e79448.jpg

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
As for Ganon, maybe we should rework the wave gandouken to have more balanced hitboxes rather than use the old gandouken. idk.
Um, the Devs didn't revert back to Energy Ball because Dark Wave was too good. The opposite is true, going by what I've heard -- Dark Wave was lacking, so they decided to give Energy Ball another chance, with a smaller hitbox size.

If you're just concerned about how Energy Ball looks, Dr. is working on improving that.

If you think Dark Wave was better overall, please look at this...
Energy Ball Pros:
It's more dangerous to get caught by. IIRC, Energy Ball does 8-48% damage.
Landing Energy Ball allows leads into easy (and deadly) follow-ups.
Its repeating hitboxes stay out longer than Dark Wave's hitboxes do.
It cannot be Spot-Dodged or Shielded.
It can be used offstage without suiciding.
It sticks to walls.
It's a GIANT FLAMING SUN OF DEATH
It takes up less space in PSA.
'Dorf can catch up to a thrown Energy Ball and run along with it, using it as a shield.
Energy Ball encourages foes to Jump over it, into a place where 'Dorf likes his foes to be: in air in front of or above him.
Energy Ball introduces a stage hazard very briefly, which can be used to pressure and manipulate foes.

Energy Ball Cons:
It can be reflected. Energy Ball against characters who can reflect is generally a bad idea.
It's slower then Dark Wave, making it easier to avoid.
It is easy for a low-damage foe to escape from, because the hitbox size was over-Nerfed (IMO).
It doesn't cover as much horizontal distance at once as Dark Wave does.
Stronger enemy projectiles will plow right through Energy Ball without stopping.
It's just a max-charge Super Scope shot, no fancy PSA here. But it works!
Using it will destroy any item in 'Dorf's hand. This will be fixed next version.

Dark Wave Pros:
It can not be reflected back against 'Dorf; Dark Wave flips on his Y axis, and 'Dorf flips around with it.
It can KO foes with high damage by itself (no follow-up necessary).
It deals all of its damage at once. No escaping with partial damage.
It can go through walls.
Stronger enemy projectiles tend to clang with Dark Wave rather than go through it.
Some say it is better at edge-guarding than Energy Ball is -- but I think they're about even in that department.

Dark Wave Cons:
It does less damage: 16% on ranged hitboxes and 32% on fist hitboxes, IIRC.
It deals a single hit with modest knockback and KBG. Energy Ball's follow-ups are much better.
It is easier to dodge than Energy Ball. Neither can be aimed, but 'Dorf can interact with Energy Ball.
Using it offstage is suicidal.
It does not line up with 'Dorf's arm properly, most noticeably when used offstage.
It looks like a wave of Grape Soda to some.
It takes up more space in PSA.
Dark Wave doesn't have interesting counterplay. You just avoid it or get hit in a second.

Would you like Energy Ball better if it was purple instead of yellow?

There's no good reason we can't have both Energy Ball and Dark Wave on the same input...
I've already got it that way on the Ganondorf build I'm working on.

@AGentleStar: If you still want to Request the return of Dark Wave (at Energy Ball's expense?) after reading the Pros and Cons I posted, just say so and I'll add it to the list. However, I doubt that Request would be granted, especially since Dr.'s work on Energy Ball is looking promising.

*sigh* what happened. I know Elliot can make better narrations than that. I realize I'll get flack for this, but I feel this should be addressed. Some of the Character selection clips sound to forced and/or don't mesh well with other lines like "The winner is...". I know it's hard to set this stuff up, but don't just turn in your first draft and expect an A, as the saying goes.
Please list the specific lines you think need work. The current form of this Request is too vague. Personally, I haven't heard any of Elliot's lines that sound especially bad, but I haven't really listened to them all in a picky frame of mind... What I've heard in my causal play so far sounds pretty good.

Request list should be up to date now. Lemme know if I missed anything.

Last edited:

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
When two characters are airborne and one of them is launched, they can collide with the other player. This would elongate doubles matches and isn't really fun to launch someone only for them to be saved by hitting their teammate. Now, I do like having teammates try to hit each other to help them recover, but character collisions aren't really fair since they don't take damage from it. plus it's pretty unpredictable imo.
The graphics on Samus' down special, the power bomb, and Ganondorf's long pressed neutral special, the Gandouken, are really bright. My eyes hurt if I play Samus for too long. I worry what would happen if people who are prone to seizures have one because of those moves. Also, the sound effect for power bombs are really loud for some reason. I hope this gets fixed. As for Ganon, maybe we should rework the wave gandouken to have more balanced hitboxes rather than use the old gandouken. idk.
I dunno what the difference between this and Project M's sound coding is, but characters yell out their death cry way too early and way too often. They could get hit by a smash attack at 70% and yell out their cry, but they won't be KOed for a while. This leads to them yelling every time they are launched. This is especially annoying for characters like Fox and Kirby. A good example of this can be seen in this Tool Assisted Superplay where Fox yells loudly every time he's hit.
Captain Falcon and Fox are given moves very similar to the abilities they could do in Melee with some added flair. The problem is they are very light. Sure, CF can fast fall pretty well, but that's not weight. Their shorthops are too high to combo the same way as Melee. What I'm trying to say is that universal weights of the characters is very weak. This doesn't need to apply to all characters, but Fox and Falcon have it the worse. I know that Brawl Zeus got it right with their Fox, so why can't Minus. Oh, wait. I remember why. Because changing characters is hard work and it would be "unrealizable"...or at least until they beat us in a tournament. Then, we nerf 'em to hell.

Thank you for reading my suggestions. If you disagree or agree with me, let me know by leaving me a message. Any and all comments are appreciated, et cetera, et cetera.
I agree with: 1, 3, 4, and 5. Don't care about 4.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Bent, I just realized that you missed a change for Wolf, didn't realize at the time. I'd like Wolf's lasers to have some form of cancel-ability such as jump cancelling, airdodge cancelling, or auto cancelling.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Bent, I just realized that you missed a change for Wolf, didn't realize at the time. I'd like Wolf's lasers to have some form of cancel-ability such as jump cancelling, airdodge cancelling, or auto cancelling.
Added, thanks for pointing that one out.
---
Please allow Wolf's Blaster to Cancel, perhaps into Jump and Air Dodge, or make it AutoCancel. [Kymaera K1ng]
---

Thor

Falcon weighs the same as Link, unless they nerfed him. His weight of 104 is totally fine. Fox is so lightweight because his neutral is [or was, haven't tested the changes of 4.0BC on Fox] soooooo good that he's designed as a super glass cannon. And Fox SH and Falcon SH were quite low in 4.0B [although the fullhops vs SH height differences could be awkward].

I really like the collisions because it makes doubles more whacky and adds an element of strategy (I definitely let lots of stuff fly in Melee teams as Link because if a teammate hits it, they're saved, and if an enemy hits it, combo extension! While this isn't exactly the same thing, I think trying to hit teammates into each other is important and can even save your teammate if you use the right move.)

More practically, I *thoroughly* enjoy that throw animations can hit people [see Mario bthrow] and heavily suspect that removing the collisions removes that too. If so, BOO! BOO! BOO! That mechanic leads to lots of crazy and awesome moments [Marss Pugwest M2K Ally had M2K score a double limit climhazzard KO because he got hit away, Ally got a bthrow that launched both players away to nearly the same spot, and M2K nailed 'em both] and also makes throws much, much less awful in 2v1s.

I miss when Wolf blaster shot 3 lasers, but I like that it doesn't have a cancel. It gets an added hitbox instead which makes it unique [and the triple lasers were quite useful... if they did too much percent, adjusting them to do 9% or 6% (2 or 3 per laser) would be a fair tradeoff, I should think.