Brawl Minus v3.5 Tier List Discussion

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
How about we give it half range of the old one, and make it have an angle of like 20 degrees above straight horizontal? Poke them back out so you can then set them up for more dtilts or an fsmash or ftilt or whatever? It could also have a far lightning kick angle to try to stage-spike people, but this sounds very annoying (gotta tech and it's not a problem, but if you miss a tech, it's pretty dangerous... or else it just knocks you under smashville, etc., which is an uncomfortable place for a bunch of characters).
IMO, both of those ideas sound better than Zelda's 3.5 ranged D-Tilt.

It and ranged Dash Attack feel so weak now...

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Just practice with it. There is no reason for it to have been so safe.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Can someone explain to me why bowser is supposedly so good?. Im not saying he's bad. Im saying Bowser is low-middle teir at best. He is "High" on my list. Keep in mind that my list is not by any ranked order. It is by categories. I dont think Pin should've used it in his list.

How to beat bowser:
1.Punish
2.You won.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Just practice with it. There is no reason for it to have been so safe.
There's currently no reason to ever use ranged D-Tilt over short-hopped ranged D-Air, though.

Anyone know of any other moves that are always outclassed by another move (that serves the same purpose) on the same character?

NEWB

Offensively, your right, but dair puts zelda in the air and dtilt keeps zelda on the ground, where she is stronger.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Offensively, your right, but dair puts zelda in the air and dtilt keeps zelda on the ground, where she is stronger.
If Zelda's staying on the ground, then ranged F-Smash or ranged Dash Attack (debatable) are better options than ranged D-Tilt against offstage opponents.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
If Zelda's staying on the ground, then ranged F-Smash is almost always a better option than ranged D-Tilt against offstage opponents.
There, now it's a fact. Zelda shouldn't go close to the ledge following her opponent unless she's going for a spike, IMO.

NEWB

Yes that is probably true. I mean, if she can do a ranged fsmash, she is much too far to do a ranged dtilt anyway. It's if she is forced closer to ledge that the foe is recovering from that is under speculation. You have to predict how they might recover from said ledge. If they just get up or roll, then zelda would be on the ground next to them, countering with regular dtilt, grab, or dsmash really. If she thinks they might jump, then yeah, do a dair.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
We've talked enough about Zelda for her to have her topic, ha...

Here's some reference pics of Zelda's D-Tilt, before and after the 3.5 Nerf:

Before 3.5:
r3s8UQw.jpg

After 3.5:
B81qPYk.jpg

What usually happens when I try to use it now:
CWwyPVm.jpg

Ledgegrab invincibility keeps it from affecting recovering opponents.

D-Tilt's ranged hitbox is smaller than it seems...
Hg3SNJk.jpg

3iKQWrf.jpg

2vi6pJt.jpg

zCvafnZ.jpg

LOA6vsg.jpg

Valravn

Alright, I haven't seen much discussion on Sonic around here. Why is he considered bottom-tier? I'm fairly new to the metagame, since the people I regularly play with don't play every single character. (I haven't played against a good Falco, for example.) I'm a Sonic main, and I think he actually has very good matchups against Ganondorf, Fox, Falcon, ZSS, and other characters people consider high-tier. A lot of characters have problems dealing with his relentless combo pressure. I will admit, sometimes it takes an absurd amount of damage to actually KO some characters, but he doesn't really have problems racking up that damage.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Alright, I haven't seen much discussion on Sonic around here. Why is he considered bottom-tier? I'm fairly new to the metagame, since the people I regularly play with don't play every single character. (I haven't played against a good Falco, for example.) I'm a Sonic main, and I think he actually has very good matchups against Ganondorf, Fox, Falcon, ZSS, and other characters people consider high-tier. A lot of characters have problems dealing with his relentless combo pressure. I will admit, sometimes it takes an absurd amount of damage to actually KO some characters, but he doesn't really have problems racking up that damage.
I find sonic to be shut down pretty easily. He just can't get in there.

Valravn

By which means? I found that I had to mix up my approaches a little to get past certain hitboxes, but I don't think he's wholly outzoned by many characters. If someone is spamming moves to keep you away, you can just dash-crouch-reverse or air-stall to fake them out, then zoom back in to punish. I suppose he doesn't have that many disjointed hitboxes (at least not large ones?) to outrange people with, but you can still get up in peoples' face almost all the time.

NEWB

That's right. A good exaample is DK. His attacks are kind of laggy, giving sonic a lot of easy access to his face. Also, sonic is indeed pretty much impossible to zone when played right. A good sonic can get past anything pretty much.

Gold_TSG

I've faced pretty good Sonics, and I had no issues dealing with them with Dorf or DK. It's a matter of playing the waiting game. Bait Sonic into thinking you're falling for baits, then just hit him. DK in particular only really needs one good hit before Sonic is as good as done.

Valravn

It's a matter of playing the waiting game. Bait Sonic into thinking you're falling for baits, then just hit him.
That's not really a flaw of either character though. That's just thinking on yomi levels. One could just as easily say that Sonic wins the situation by baiting DK into thinking Sonic thinks DK is falling for baits. I will say that Ganondorf is a little hard to deal with just because of the massive hitboxes that he puts out, but I haven't had as much experience against DK.

Gold_TSG

I could help with the experience. They say I'm the best DK in minus.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I run tournaments out of my house every week now that summer's started (used to be biweekly). Anyways I actually have tournament results because Brawl- is one of the games in rotation. To avoid filling up my house I run tournaments as S64/melee/ProjectM with the next week switching to Brawl/Brawl-. Anyways here were the top sixteen in our last Brawl- Tourney with some additional comments by me to let you guys get to know their skill level:

1. Longbottom(ME!) (Fox/Peach/DDD) ($15)
2. WickdJax (Ike,Falco,Luigi)($10) (comments: This dude is legit with Ike and was the best player in our Brawl- community until I showed up)
3.FemaleLongbottom(Peach) (My sister who taught me how to play peach) ($5) (comments: My l'il sis is legit w/ peach and has the best shield pressure out of any of us. She's also unlocked the secrets to Peach's weirdest movement options and can basically wiz around the stage O_O)
4.Shiznnits (Ice Climbers) (comments: This guy basically came out of nowhere. This was only his second tournament but he discovered a stupid exploit w/ dThrow and blizzard. This will be banned in following tournaments.)
5.DreamLandKing(DDD) (comments: This dude is also rather new but has placed highly in the last 3 tourneys)
5.Kipperz(Wolf, Shiek) (comments: not to much to say here really. Only guy I've seen who uses wolf's shine as an offensive move though.)
7.WickdKeats(ZSS,Lucario) (comments: WickdJax's little brother. His ZSS is insane because he can abuse the shit out of those armour pieces and can glidetoss with 100% accuracy. You're basically down a stock because of them.)
7.$money(read: cash money) (Roy) (comments: he's our Link/Bowser main but decided to go Roy this tourney. Usually does better w/ those other characters)
9.John(Meta Knight) (comments: His first tourney.)
9.Fred(Ganondorf) (comments: One half of our best doubles team. Does better in doubles than singles)
9.teirlistzdontexit(Yes that's his tag. I didn't misspell exist either -_-) (Ness, Ivysaur) (comments: newer guy. Not much else to say)
9.George(Jiggs) (comments: Other half of our best doubles team. Usually does better in singles than Fred)
13.Lucas (Lucas) (yes Lucas is this dude's real name) (Newest member of our community and first tourney though he has played minus before.)
13. Lovegood (Pichu) (comments: my gf and doubles partner. But she uses pichu so she probably should be here)
13. lickitidareu2(Yes that's his tag -_-) (Sonic) ( commentsOur Sonic player. He's a veteran but stays around here in rankings)
13.HeyZues(his real name is the mexican pronunciation of Jesus -_-) (PKMN Trainer) (comments: uses all three pokemon)

That's it. Note that not all our players and not all characters were represented. Hopes this sparks some fun discussion.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
We'd still need some videos to see just how good these guys are though... nice to see someone using Peach.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I'm trying to save up enough money for a capture card because Dolphin videos don't render correctly on my computer for some reason. I do think we're good since all of us play competitive melee and brawl with a couple of us making it to bracket play at WHOBO MLG this year. Also I still haven't seen wolf's shine used in vids for some reason.