Brawl Minus v3.5 Tier List Discussion

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
So, now that we're on a newer version with many needed buffs and few needed nerfs to better balance out the roster, what do some of you feel the current tier list is? With Wi-fi up and running we can get in matches to show why we have our beliefs and I think that's great. As usual, you can make your own list and whichever one seems to be the most universally accepted I'll move into the OP.

Personally, I still feel like the top tiers are ROB and Lucario.

Thor

Dedede remains up there as well.

I feel Samus is worse than her 3.3 form - despite her uthrow not hurting her (in exchange for 5% less damage, a trade I'd take every time) and her dtilt not hurting her, her new fall speed just sux. And from what I can tell, she can't ledge drop -> jump -> missile -> ledge regrab, which is also bad. Her recovery also feels weaker, despite "compensation" because of her new fall speed and the seemingly reduced distance screw attack takes one (and her air speed meaning she falls faster after using screw attack, which really hurts her). If we base it off the 3.3 list, she'll drop further.

Roy seems ok, but his recovery feels weak... the super armor on the end is odd, because there are times when I don't intend to hit him at the end because it will give him his jump back, but he super-armors it and still dies, much to my satisfaction (but it still feels super weird for that to occur). Bair feels weak, but maybe that's to link to fair or dair? Love his dair though.

Sheik's jump height being lowered hurts her...and she still can't make it under FD (though I did confirm that Game and Watch can with a bit of luck or else I just currently lack the skill to be consistent).

Never knew ZSS had infinite jumping trick via her down+B buff but sad to see it go, makes her easy to gimp in my opinion. She might drop from 3.3 list.

Don't think fall-speed changes help Falcon at all...

Lucario is still probably #1.

Not sure how to make a full list, and pretty sure I have more to say, but not thinking of it.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Roy's bair can chain into all of his aerials depending how you space it. I also disapprove with the Sheik jumps being so low. I'm gonna have to ask Mech how much he reduced them. Evidently she was an unstoppable force with high jumps.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
DK is still a monster.

NEWB

Still to early to weigh in guys. This is like day 3 of the update. I'm still confident samus is better now, and so is pichu.

Thor

My list, based on 3.3 list, changelog, and my own views. Very low validity of course, but something to start with.

Short version:

S tier:
1. Lucario
2. Dedede
3. ROB
A tier:
4. Wolf
5. Ganondorf
6. DK
7. Zelda
8. Bowser
9. Jigglypuff
10. Olimar
11. Falco
12. Fox
13. Link
14. Captain Falcon
B tier
16. Meta Knight
15. Zero Suit Samus
17. Wario
18. Toon Link
19. Ike
20. Marth
21. [Roy?]
22. Diddy Kong
23. Ivysaur
24. Sheik
25. Luigi
26. Snake
27. Charizard
28. Pit
29. Kirby
30. Pikachu
31. Yoshi
C tier
32. Ness
33. Lucas
34. Ice Climbers
35. Mario
36. Mr. Game and Watch
37. Peach
38. Squirtle
39. Sonic
40. Pichu
41. Samus
S tier:
1. Lucario
2. Dedede
3. ROB
- This is the tier of characters that stand out to me as ones where people have the chance to clean up and dominate nearly every character come out. They all have projectiles and good projectile answers (pursuit[counter]/aura sphere, waddle dees, and gyros/camp better) and strong games that can dictate how you fight them. I think they also all handle each other rather well. And I think they are strong enough to put them in a tier above A tier.
A tier:
4. Wolf
5. Ganondorf
6. DK
- I'm not convinced Bowser > DK in the new one, especially with the armor reductions - heck I think DK is top of A tier, but I think I'm influenced by Gold_TSG and not having played a good Wolf/Ganondorf, so I'm trusting Glyph on this one.
7. Zelda
- This character's long-range game is probably one of the hardest to deal with, despite knowing some theory - yeah, shield and SDI long-range fsmash, but she can teleport if you're hit and combo, if she doesn't teleport she has low-enough endlag to now ftilt or jab so you have to shield that too, and she can run away after all that? And oh yeah, Lightning Kick someone with the far hitbox and teleport to help you run away. And her fsmash eats at your shield - if you're not Jigglypuff you usually can't shield 2 fsmashes... characters like Dedede, ROB, Lucario, and Falco all seem to have the tools to deal with her, but if the Zelda can run enough, this MU must not be a lot of fun for DK, except for the fact he can probably zero-death her.
8. Bowser
- his armor wasn't hit that hard, so I figure dropping him just 2 slots is enough.
9. Jigglypuff
10. Olimar
11. Falco
- I almost made him bottom of S tier because of all the tools he has to mess up other characters - best anti-approach in the game with reflector and lasers, and side+b for camping and starting combos - his combos don't last long without missed techs and low percent though, or else great tech chases, so you have to be tenacious and patient with him.
12. Fox
- has insane movement, effortless KO setups if you have tech skill (side+B or waveshine -> usmash, uthrow uair or utilt uair, etc.), a reflector and a fine projectile. I almost put him near bottom of S/top of A because of all his traits, and the fact that he has unparalleled movement when one is good enough, as well as being very hard to keep airborne if he wants down, but I'd take a lot of flack for that so I put him here.
13. Link
- I think Link is better than Glyph originally gave credit for – a slew of projectiles, dthrow is a combo starter at low percents and a setup to KO at high percents, and boomerang’s second hitbox effortlessly combos into both charged spin-attack and fully charged arrows for VERY strong KOs. He’s also the only character to break my shield when I’m not Jigglypuff (that’s when I let it happen) so I think he should move up.
14. Captain Falcon
- he just feels worse now. Not horribly so, but it really does feel like his general fall-speed was altered and the fastfall "buff" never felt needed to me [never once did I think his fastfall is too slow]. But I think people may adapt and so I don't drop him much now, and he may move up. He's not gimped quite hard enough to start the B tier, but just barely, so he's bottom of A.
B tier
15. Meta Knight
- probably one of the biggest comeback factors in the game besides Lucario – he’s the only where for the first 3 stocks, you can deal ~40% to their 120%, and a well-placed grab will set you each back at even. His drill-rush and nado are great approaches, and his cape is a powerful surprise and also fast enough to punish people who try to up+B you from below with most characters and miss (extremely fast fall speeds like Captain Falcon can still avoid this, but Marth is hosed…). He’s also got a better-than-average gimp game. His jab is also probably the safest jab on shield in game, regardless of your spacing, and it combos into stuff if they don’t shield and don’t DI well. However, many probably think of him as gimmicky, so I leave him as the very top of B instead of bottom of A, though I think he could very well be bottom of A.
16. Zero Suit Samus
- Her recovery loss hurt her, but somehow I think it was her recovery holding her back, while her onstage game was fantastic. Unlike Falcon though, if you send her straight out and ever so slightly up, she’ll struggle a lot more to make it back without a jump, so I drop her here, but her onstage game is strong enough to leave her here, I suppose.
17. Wario
- this character is utterly infuriating – I don’t know why Glyph put him so low in 3.3, but Wario can control the pace of a match with his stupidly long-range and incredible mobility. He also has no problems KOing.
18. Toon Link
- this man’s arrows are real, and scary. Not only that, but his boomerang has weirdly high KO power (more than his bombs) and if he can set up on FD, you play his game on his terms (with the exception of the S tier characters and the spacies thanks to reflectors). He has a great fsmash and obscenely good throws with stupidly high KO power on some of them. He’s probably higher than Wario even, but Wario just does so much stupid stuff I don’t even fully understand that I drop him a slot below and wonder how they should each move up, if they should.
19. Ike
- no idea where to put him, so I leave him more or less unchanged spot, just placing others around him.
20. Marth
- I think Marth > Diddy Kong, as I’m not convinced the peanuts/bananas are THAT good (catch bananas) and Marth’s fair strings are ridiculous, as is his aerial mobility. Then again, this might be Gold_TSG affecting my opinion. I’d like to think Marth > Ike, but I have no idea so I’ll leave him here.
21. Diddy Kong
22. Ivysaur
- 11 nerfs or whatever, but all small – I don’t think she drops too much really, after having played her some.
23. Sheik
- I get the feeling Sheik still does Sheik well, but her jumping nerfs make her feel REALLY awkward to me now – it reminds me of, say, 2.X.6 Falco jumps, which is NOT a good place to be…
24. Luigi
- with his slew of buffs, I’ll bet he moved up a spot. Just a hunch though.
25. Snake
- again, byproduct of lots of Luigi buffs. Never seen a great Snake either…
26. Charizard
- was he really so low? Hm… I’ll just trust Glyph on this one, since he does use the full PT. But my gut says move him up.
27. Pit
- with his projectile, angel ring, and new side+b, I think Pit is definitely higher, but no idea where to place him.
28. Kirby
29. Pikachu
- doesn’t belong in C tier, but no idea where to place higher so I put Pikachu here. It doesn’t have the greatest power, but fsmash, usmash, and utilt all are good setups to stuff, as is bair.
30. Yoshi
- never really played a good Yoshi, but I’m sure he’s better than I credit him for, if only by a few spots…
C tier
31. Ness
- I can agree with how Ness was defining C-tier – he can get gimped SO hard…
32. Lucas
33. Ice Climbers
– probably should be higher up, since they’re harder to gimp than Ness and Lucas (probably out of B tier), but I lack the confidence to move them up higher. They do have insane damage output if you’re caught at the wrong time, and better KO setups now, so I predict a move up.
34. Mario
35. Mr. Game and Watch
- not convinced he’s better than Mario is the reason I put him here.
36. Peach
37. Squirtle
- This character irritates me so much, but I can’t say I know its weaknesses necessarily, and I’m betting it’s still the worst of the 3, so I leave it here.
38. Sonic
- maybe could move up more, but not sure… seems to KO a bit better now, and can be very hard to read
39. Pichu
- probably deserves to move up a hair maybe, not sure though – seems better now
40. Samus
- until I see footage of Samus being played properly, or her fall speed is reverted, she’s going to be the bottom of my list. Among other things, she can’t ledge-drop -> jump -> missile -> ledge regrab now, or if she can’t it’s now MUCH more difficult than before, and I haven’t gotten it once. Her long duration aerials don’t really fit with this new fall speed, and neither does her recovery, despite the compensated bomb jump. I thought prior that Glyph had her way too low, and she should be at least a B tier, since I could get 70-80% combos (sometimes ending with Charge Shot) without too much trouble, but that’s not the case anymore (they feel shorter), as most relied on uthrow before and now all of them do. Her uthrow and dtilt got nice buffs in that they don’t hurt her anymore, but that’s enough to keep her off the bottom of the list for me.

Did not actually place Roy - if I had to I'd probably place him for now right around Ike and Marth, as shown in the short list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

If you need help seeing where Dorf is, or help placing Marth and Falco higher, I can play with you.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I would definitely say that Link is high A tier. He's the only one I can beat Glyph's ROB with. Even then I have to try freakin hard.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
My co mains Sheik and Pit have changed since 3.5 . Sheik's loss of jump height...is honestly the thing that has made me the most unhappy, in Brawl minus history. Not because my main was nerfed but because I don't understand why. Nevertheless, I now need to relearn this new ninja. I will find a way to regain or replace whatever tactics that have been lost. Pit simply cannot be as low as Thor says, imo, especially with new airSideB.

Gold_TSG

She lost the height cause it was too easy for her to chase vertical foes to star KO, given how much combo and cancel power she has. It'll take time to readjust, but it doesn't really affect most of the rest of her play. I use her pretty well, so I got an idea there.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I still have faith in her. It'll make each victory I get with her much sweeter.

Gold_TSG

Also, Thor, DK is actually a fairly hard counter to Wolf. The moment DK gets a hit in, he can juggle Wolf for days due to his ridiculous weight. I did it to Ellipsis's Wolf last night.

Thor

First, my list is far from official [that is, authoritative], as I said above, I just made it to make it and have something to discuss.

Gold_TSG said:
If you need help seeing where Dorf is, or help placing Marth and Falco higher, I can play with you.

First, let's be clear - I almost put Falco at 4th, bottom of S tier for his basically anti-approach style that forces people to play around him. Glyph and I agree he's got a great ROB MU (which may only mean even or +1, but that's still pretty solid) and he's got great meteor setups in side+B (which also meteors) and his lasers to stun people offstage or set them up for usmash. His combo ability is not quite where I feel most Minus characters live (his priority/range-y stuff, with the exception of reflector and lasers, is not terribly high - his bair is a fine poke, but mediocre by Minus standards, and his fair has some commitment required that is punishable on whiff by a lot compared to most moves) but he doesn't really have glaring problems besides two approach tools that are predictable and one that requires a good deal of space away from the opponent to be reliable (although I've found new side+b shenanigans so that may change...).

Dorf/DK I almost made top of A, only cuz I've not seen a good Wolf or anything, and you're the only DK I know of, but Dorf is not ROB, Lucario, or any of the Dedede footage I've seen - I'll play you, but he doesn't yell "S-tier" at me like the three I have up there. I didn't touch Marth's spot really, I think he's higher but I didn't know where so I left him more or less where he was and others were adjusted around him.

Kienamaru said:
I would definitely say that Link is high A tier. He's the only one I can beat Glyph's ROB with. Even then I have to try freakin hard.

Glyph way demoted him in the old thread - I didn't want to move him because personal bias (I disagreed with Glyph in the old thread), but I could see him at like 8th pretty easily - great projectiles to wall and a stronger combo and grab game than some people give him credit for. Also, if you keep doing those shield break combos, I can see why you beat Glyph XD. I didn't know you could do those that well when I made the list.

The Concept said:
Pit simply cannot be as low as Thor says, imo, especially with new airSideB.

I am SO SORRY I forgot his air side+b does new stuff XD. Yeah he should probably be at least around MK, maybe higher[?] after I saw that in action once or twice. I think MK > Pit but MK player here (the champ! at least in mirror masters for now...) so I'll edit this list soon. I need to go to bed soon though, so not right now, since I have like at least 5 characters to move and make sure the list seems consistent with what I think. I'm also considering moving MK to very bottom of A since he does more than gimmick people, I just happen to be good at his gimmicks, but I can win without them.

Gold_TSG said:
Also, Thor, DK is actually a fairly hard counter to Wolf. The moment DK gets a hit in, he can juggle Wolf for days due to his ridiculous weight. I did it to Ellipsis's Wolf last night.

I never said he wasn't, I assume you mean fall-speed, and I believe you, though Wolf SDIing down may help early on. It's also a question of general placement - to be very reductionist, Wolf has a reflector, therefore he has one important tool against ROB and Dedede that DK doesn't right there, and I get the feeling Wolf combos DK hard too. This isn't an MU chart per se, more my opinions on where people stand.

2 question for people: Do people support the existence of S tier vs A tier (that is, seeing Lucario and ROB and Dedede as being in a tier above the other A tiers) and is the list (with a few exceptions, especially Pit) seem okay? If people disagree wildly, by all means make your own list, but I feel they deserve their own tier and that, besides the few errors and doing it in one sitting so not looking it over as much as I should, I did an ok job. Am I crazy or did I make a good base to start discussions? If the base is bad, someone else should make it to make discussion less about all the errors and more about how to move people around.

I'll try to edit the list a bit, or post a modified version (based on feedback), tomorrow.

P.S: I also miss Sheik's old form - just nerf uair's kbg and put fair back to like 3.01 or something (a mix between 3.3 and 1.01 maybe) and she can get her jumps back to snuff, since this will reduce her off the top KOs and also satisfy some old complaints about Sheik's fair being too weak now (and her recovery isn't exactly stellar, even in 3.3 or Max). But this ain't a suggestion thread so I'll drop this after my few words.

Gold_TSG

I honestly think tiers are just dumb overall. Sure some chars fare better than others, but skill still plays an important role.

As for your comment about DK, even if he doesn't have the tools like Wolf does, he is still able to hold his own. Even though Glyph and I had a ton of disconnections, I came pretty close to beating his Rob with DK (fucking DC'd as I was close to doing so, too...). That has to say something.

NEWB

I honestly don't even see lucario as s tier. I haven't played a lucario since his balance tweaks, but he has gained several weaknesses and appropriate buffs, however the buffs are less significant since he can die before abusing them.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
VqAm7zO.gif

AIYUi88.gif
Dl89BDP.gif

Would anyone actually be interested in a thread specifically for Tech submissions? Stuff like this and other advanced techniques.

I realize this was against a cpu, however it cannot really be DI'd out of and if it is there are several variations depending on position and percent that the lucario can do instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Damnit Sammi I wanna face you :C

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
:3

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I wasn't saying he was lol. I don't think he's top teir anymore. That was a legitimate question regarding a tech thread? you guys could all submit combo's and advanced techniques and stuff

EDIT: Also, this isn't at specific percents persay. For every 5% lucario gains/loses MARTH has to lose/gain 3%. Nearly every other char in the game and its more like 1 or 2 percent. And this particular combo isn't close to his best or longest just flashiest

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I like the tier list, but pit is waaay higher. B tier for sure.

Agreed. I was going against Jomo's Lucario and we were neck and neck the entire time. I don't even main Pit but that match was for the ages. Saved the replay too.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Agreed. I was going against Jomo's Lucario and we were neck and neck the entire time. I don't even main Pit but that match was for the ages. Saved the replay too.

Remember one good match-up does not move a character up several spots on the list alone.
unless it's a good MU against vBrawl MK

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Pit is really good. I mained him for a very good amount of time. The only thing he lacked (in 3.3) was some kill power. Dunno if he got that now since i haven't had time to play, but either case i personally put him in B tier. I also mained Squirtle, who is really really good. Of course then i could go on about mario for the days, but i've talked about him alot on previous forums and such. Same thing as sheik, though i haven't played her since the nerfs.

Luigi is a GOD. I main him currently, along with lucario. Those are my two mains right now. he has some insane ass combo's and can also kill you if your past 58% with d-throw->green missile. His fireballs are AMAZING at disrupting and getting people off of the edge. It forces your opponent into a situation where you will almost always trade in your favor. (he can also come back all the way from the bottom blast zone but thats a secret). His fair is arguably the strongest single hit fair in the game that i can think of right now, and will kill you if you get hit in the air with it at like 67% (before the hit)

Wolf can also easily 0-> death you easily without anything you can do about it, but since there seems to have already been a wolf discussion i won't really go into detail other then that

i Like that this is a calm discussion rather then a war.