Brawl Minus 3.5 has arrived!

NEWB

I would be patient. It sounded like we were supposed to get it this week, and we haven't heard anything about it. Give it a bit more time.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
It was planned to be a surprise, but since word got out, yeah, we'll be having a release with all the remaining bugs ironed out, as well as some adjustments to Pichu and Roy, so please look forward to it!

NEWB

I would rather not see mewtwo yet. We have/had too many things that needed fixing and pichu needs a lot of help to be more complete. Roy needs help too to a lesser extent.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Bug fix release = bug fixes + bonus. Not official new minus.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Just wanted to say thanks for this change to Snake which wasn't mentioned in the changelog:
As of Minus 3.5, Snake no longer fires more than one blast with his F-Smash hy default. You can still fire the second and third blasts (by holding A), as well as the long line of weaker explosions (by holding Up + A). If you don't hold A after the first blast, Snake ends the move early. Now he isn't so punishable when he whiffs F-Smash! Great change, devs. :)

The move still doesn't make much sense (you can't rocket jump, Snake...), but it's much more useful now.
I'm glad Snake got some positive attention. He hasn't gotten much of that lately.

Next, add two new taunts and remove the turbo fist pump from Side B...

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

That happens because the shield button was held too long, or so I was told. Pretty sure the buffer does have something to with it, but I thought brawl had 0 buffer?

One useful thing you should know about fox is that while he is crouching, he is able to slide off edges. This helps combat it sorta when you are close to the edge.

Fivavoa

Uwaaaaa~~!
Playtester
As far as I know, Fox shouldn't do that unless you're holding the position wrong.

In addition, Brawl DOES have 10 frames of input lag, but Minus doesn't.

Glyph

He said input lag, not buffer. Like the delay between when you press a button and when it actually happens.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Please keep the Buffer at the default level of 10 frames, Minus Team. 6 frames minimum.

That's one of the things I dislike most about Project M -- 0 Buffer. I know Input Assist makes it 3 frames, but it applies to everyone playing, and lots of Project M players prefer 0 Buffer. I can't deal with that; at least 6 (preferably 10) frames of Buffer is essential for me.

Actually, all 10 players in my local group prefer 10 frames of Buffer.

I don't get how Project M players do certain things (like short-hopped Knees) with 0 Buffer...

Glyph

No, input lag and buffer are very different things. Input lag is the delay between the controller and the game's response, buffer is the window during the end of a move where you can input a new command and have it execute at the first possible frame.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
SHFFLing in Melee and PM is all muscle memory.
I've tried learning it, but I can't do short-hopped Knees in Project M without at least 3 frames of Buffer.

Maybe my fingers just aren't fast enough for that. Or it could be because I use Y to short hop.

Anyhow, I prefer Smash to be a battle of wits rather than a battle of reflexes.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
People in melee and pm will force themselves to do a technique 50 times in a row without screwing up. Practice man.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
People in melee and pm will force themselves to do a technique 50 times in a row without screwing up. Practice man.
I think I'll stick with Minus, thanks. I'd rather not bring on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome any faster than I already am... My fingers' default position is already locked in Gamecube controller mode, ha.

Buffer makes pulling off complex techniques so much easier on your hands. I don't get why anyone would prefer to play without it, unless that's just what they're used to. Most people aren't going to benefit from using 0 Buffer -- especially not older players like myself.

Empyrean

The .txt file included in the download is for the 3.3 codeset. Is there any way I could get my hands on the 3.5 codeset so I can alter it to my own preference?

SAHunterMech

CQC Apprentice
Minus Backroom
That is strange... Thank you for fixing it! I will be able to Flying Falcon Punch without suiciding once again. :D

Does this mean that the Falcon Punch has been reverted to pre-3.5 status, or will it still be faster on the ground and in the air?

The Punch is being reverted to pre 3.5, hitlag and all, however, I have decided to keep the additional forward momentum, as it seems to be assisting the move quite nicely.

I would also like to address Samus: She's been my main focus these past few weeks, and I can safely say that awesome things are happening. Expect major improvements in the next release.