Brawl Minus 3.5 has arrived!

Lightning

Ikesexual
Please don't omit my name from the code credits space this time. :(
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but do you see any other codes with the names of testers or people who suggested that they be made?
No, because the creater is the only one that recieves credit. Playtesters/suggesters don't really do anything to actually make the code.

And if you want an example, think of all the betas before Minus 1.00. We were all technically playtesters because it was in the beta stage, but we are not getting credit because we didn't do anything (except for spotting occasional bugs) to create it.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but do you see any other codes with the names of testers or people who suggested that they be made?
No, because the creater is the only one that recieves credit. Playtesters/suggesters don't really do anything to actually make the code.

And if you want an example, think of all the betas before Minus 1.00. We were all technically playtesters because it was in the beta stage, but we are not getting credit because we didn't do anything (except for spotting occasional bugs) to create it.
I wouldn't expect any credit if I had just tested the code, but the fact is that code would not exist if I hadn't come up with the idea for it and worked with Glitch to make it happen. I decided which buttons would be New Footstool Triggers, compiled and organized the code, and made a thread that explains it in thorough detail. After several players asked for new Triggers to be added, I compiled a second version which does that. I think all that's worth a few extra letters in the code credits space. :/

NEWB

I say give credit. I mean, if the devs don't really care otherwise and no one else seems to care otherwise, then why not? Odds are, most people wouldn't even see it and others wouldn't give a second look.

And to be fair, it wouldn't hurt for it to say somewhere thanks to brawl minus smashmods community, not that I care TOO much.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Might as well recognize all the play testers too while we're at it. :u

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Is recognition important as long as you can look back and know you did something good for those around you?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Is recognition important as long as you can look back and know you did something good for those around you?
I think that if you can point to a code in the codeset, and state as a fact "that code would not exist without my efforts", then you deserve to have your name attached to it.

That said, helping make a good thing into reality is its own reward; I'll be happy if v2 makes it into the next version of Minus even without my name on it. However, I would think it's unfair for my name to be removed from the credits space when I was central in the code's conception and implementation.

It should be a non-issue... The fact that it was removed from v1 still makes me feel snubbed.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Hm... That saddens me.
For me, simply getting my idea heard would be enough of an honor. Getting it implemented would be a bigger one.
However, I understand that you are not me.
I shan't attempt to stop you. Continue on your campaign. Good luck, friend. :)

Gold_TSG

I don't care either way to be honest. I'm doing my best to help test and balance stuff, and whether or not I'm mentioned means little to me, cause I know what I did. Don't really need that much attention lol.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Hm... That saddens me.
For me, simply getting my idea heard would be enough of an honor. Getting it implemented would be a bigger one.
However, I understand that you are not me.
I shan't attempt to stop you. Continue on your campaign. Good luck, friend. :)
Did you see the bit I added to my last post? Specifically,
That said, helping make a good thing into reality is its own reward; I'll be happy if v2 makes it into the next version of Minus even without my name on it. However, I would think it's unfair for my name to be removed from the credits space when I was central in the code's conception and implementation.
I don't see why that would sadden anyone. Except me. :/

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
No, I replied before you edited it.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I don't care either way to be honest. I'm doing my best to help test and balance stuff, and whether or not I'm mentioned means little to me, cause I know what I did. Don't really need that much attention lol.
Like I said before, I don't expect any credit for just testing alone. In this case I did more than just test the code; I thought of it, found a coder to write it, compiled the code, thoroughly tested it, organized it, and publicized it.

At any rate, it's ultimately up to the devs. I've said my piece; there's no use in talking about it any further.

I didn't want to draw this much attention to it -- I just don't get why my name was removed in the first place. "Because only code writers get credit" isn't good enough; this code would not exist without me. It feels as if it was removed out of spite.

Gold_TSG

Bent, you do know that it kinda comes off a little... Arrogant, when you really press the issue and continue to emphasize on how it wouldn't exist without you, right? I mean, look at how many times you've said it, and how you've said it, man...

Gold_TSG

Or more publicity in general.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
hey guys. you know what'd be cool?.. ... ...neater aesthetics... i'm just going to be frank: the current CSS menu looks very choppy... like, incredibly cheap in some points xP ...i think the character's select icons should definitely be improved and look brighter, and the names under them could return, btw... ... also, i'd really like to get the slots rearranged to be able to find characters better :p we keep talking about trying to make the game "newbie friendly", but even my friends who come by pretty often have a hard time finding their characters on this screen, especially with the so uniform and bland looking icons and removed names... ike and marth are sometimes mistaken for each other for a second... it's not that it's a big problem that makes the game less playable, but it makes the game come off as a bit "jumbled" and not very well put together, which is a real turn off for new players, and not to mention that it also is admittedly an inconvenience even to me and my brother who play this game dedicatedly and consistently :p ...it just seems like the new menu lacks the professional quality that it had before :( ...i don't mean to talk smack on the team, but i think that this was over-looked, and could be fixed with just a few changes/reversions... ...

maybe go back to how the mushroom kingdom mario characters in one row, and the "stand-alone" mario characters in another, like how in vbrawl mario, luigi, bowser, and peach were in one row, and DK (+diddy), wario, and yoshi were in another... they could still go in this order, and i saw no need to change it :p in fact, if more characters were added, bowser jr could go right under bowser, and waluigi under wario (for instance), and in other rows, maybe roy, ike marth could get their own row with lucina or lyn added in... new characters aside, something that puts genre sharing characters together would definitely make it feel more organized, and wouldn't be too difficult... i just want it to be taken a little more seriously, and the feeling that consideration went into the icon placement could be a step in that direction... other nagging things like inconsistencies with CSPs reskin colors vs in game reskin colors are also things that should be looked at (most notably, lucario), and of course, many stages don't exactly feel up-to-par with the rest so far either :/ (mainly this is because so many of the newly edited stages disappeared from the list -_- ...i personally loved the yoshi train...)

Gold_TSG

I think the CSS should be bigger like it once was. It gets annoying when I can't grab a CPU char selector unless I'm pixel perfect over it, or I nudge the stick and slide over the character I'm trying to select.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
yeah, i agree on that too... i made a list of different genres the characters fall into in a thread on the general discussions page for anyone who's interested... i think for the most part, it's self explanitory, but i guess this might help organize a list a little better... left some space for "extra characters" in case the devs decide to put in mewtwo or midna or something...

NEWB

I don't really want a new CSS so much as I want this one more polished.

It would be awesome if the CSS could be bigger. Random freezes the game, and I hate playing FIFAs with CPU and having to move around all the CPU chips and miss clicking..

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Like I said before, I don't expect any credit for just testing alone. In this case I did more than just test the code; I thought of it, found a coder to write it, compiled the code, thoroughly tested it, organized it, and publicized it.

At any rate, it's ultimately up to the devs. I've said my piece; there's no use in talking about it any further.

I didn't want to draw this much attention to it -- I just don't get why my name was removed in the first place. "Because only code writers get credit" isn't good enough; this code would not exist without me. It feels as if it was removed out of spite.

It isn't very hard to "find" Glitch. I mean not only did he make this site, but how long has he been making gct stuff for Minus? You're basically like... if you think of a buff for a character and we take that into account then we should credit you for suggesting it. Once you got the code created by him the rest would've come from us regardless. We test our stuff, and do our best to make sure that things are publicly known. I'm not sure how you could organize the code or what you even mean by it.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I'm tired of talking about it. If the devs won't allow me to have this little bit of credit, so be it. I'm just happy the code got made and accepted into the Minus codeset.

I wouldn't expect credit for anything as simple as a character suggestion/fix/buff/etc.

What I meant by compiling the code was this: The code Glitch made was like a template. It left spaces open for where the button addresses go. I decided which buttons should be New Footstool Triggers, and added in their addresses to the code.

What I meant by organizing the code was that I made it clear enough for anyone to understand how to edit it. See the "code breakdown" in the New Footstool Triggers topic.

The thing that bugs me is that one of the devs saw my name in the submitted code, decided "Nah, he doesn't deserve any credit", and removed the few letters that proved I had anything to do with it. Why bother removing my name?

Now I'm done talking about it.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Your name was removed from the code because, well, you didn't code anything, it was all Glitch's work. An idea and testing the code doesn't warrant credit in the code itself since it isn't your code.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I didn't ask to be credited for the code's creation -- I wanted to be credited for "suggesting and testing" it, but I don't care anymore.

Seems like a lot of fuss over a mere 31 extra letters in a text file few will ever read.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Yeah, is there an estimated release window on that bugfix update? I'm looking forward to it.