Brawl Minus 3.5 has arrived!

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I launch with Gecko and it works fine. Why would Minus need the PM launcher?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
The only reason anyone would use the P:M Launcher in 3.3 was for SDHC compatibility, but our new Minama Launcher does the same job.

NEWB

I really don't get why strap loader freezes are a thing.

This is dumb, but your wii is up to date right?

And yeah, you need a larger sd than 2 gigs to use those methods. Mine worked fine when I had gecko though.

Ferrous Faucet

My Wii has firmware version 4.3 (I think that's the one) and just in case hardware is an issue, I have the red Wii that came with the New Super Mario Bros Wii bundle edition (it was sold around Christmas 2010). As for software version, I don't know about different versions of Brawl but I bought mine around Christmas 2010 also.

Oh also I use a 2 gig SD. I never had any problems with Brawl Minus 2.x.6 or v1.01 freezing, this only happens on 3.3 and 3.5. And I use Gecko OS which I run through the Homebrew Channel.

Now that I think of it, a friend of mine has a Wii U with Homebrew Channel installed in Wii Mode and we play Minus v1.01 through that. But when we start Homebrew Channel, the icon for Gecko looks different than the icon on my Wii. So maybe he has a newer version of Gecko? I don't know if that could be causing my freezes though, since I have never attempted 3.3 or 3.5 on his Wii U before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferrous Faucet

No I don't have another SD card but I can try that in the future.

Oh but I just remembered that I had the strap screen freezes on 3.3 but then I reverted to v1.01 on the same SD card and it worked fine. So I don't think it's the SD card. But still, I can try that in the future.

Ferrous Faucet

Yes Kienamaru, please send it to me. The newest version I can find mentioned on the web is 1.9.3.1, and I can't verify with certainty that it's the one I've been using. I started using Gecko OS when Brawl Minus 2.x.6 was out. I can't remember if that was 2013 or 2012 but unless there has been a newer version of Gecko since then, I'm probably using the newest one.

Thor

Use hackless! It works perfectly for me!

Or maybe you don't have an extra SD card lying around... hackless was why I wished for (and got) a pair of SD cards last Christmas (and smash in general was why I wished for a new controller, but happily got 2! [the $40 extra long cord white ones]).

daftatt

Me too, dood. Nobody commented on my first big post in this topic... :(

As for your problem, you said you tried downloading an already-completed save file? That file might already have a (now-dead) Friend Code linked to it. Try getting rid of it and starting a brand-new save file, then try to connect to WiFi.

I've just started playing 3.5. Falcon first impressions!
- I'm OK with his infinite jab being removed.
- The changes to Falcon Kick seem OK so far...
- The Falcon Punch feels a bit different...? Was it changed at all?
- I hate the faster fall speed on Falcon. Was this really necessary?

With the faster fall speed, Falcon ends up too close to the bottom blast zone too often, and offstage Falcon Punch is suicidal now. Landing Flying Falcon Punches was one of my favorite things to do as him, and I was quite good at it until now. Faster fall speed ruins it.

I never felt much vulnerability from whiffed aerials, nor can I recall getting juggled too much before 3.5 (except by R.O.B.'s F-Air). Would you please consider reverting Fast Fall Speed back to 2.5, from 2.9? What do our other Falcon mains think of this? I've played Brawl- Falcon for 200+ hours now, and I really don't like this change.

I don't get how the Multihit hitstun decrease (1.0 -> 0.8) affects Falcon. Does he suffer less hitstun, or does his opponent suffer less?

I'll test 3.5 Falcon a bit longer, but I'll probably end up rolling him back to his last version...
I've been a falcon main since B- started up, I play a LOT of P:M so the fall speed increase feels fine to me, eveything I do still works, I feel that SDI is SUPER important in B- and I use it a lot to get out of combos.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Aha... After a bit more testing, I found out that Falcon's regular fall speed has not been changed -- my mistake, sorry -- it's a change to the Falcon Punch that has made Flying Falcon Punches suicidal in 3.5...

Before 3.5, the aerial Falcon Punch stalled Falcon's aerial momentum and boosted him forward a little, at the moment the Punch fired. Thanks to that boost, you could do a short-hopped Flying Falcon Punch and recover from almost any distance on FD, as long as you started the windup immediately after jumping.

As of 3.5, that boost is gone. If you do a short-hopped Flying Falcon Punch, you'll die. You know how you can control Falcon's trajectory a bit when you reverse Falcon Punch in the air? Try doing that in 3.5 -- notice how you can make Falcon keep moving backward as the F.F.P. fires, and how your momentum is not affected. This is why I said the F.F.P. feels "slippery" now.

Please give Captain Falcon's PAWNCH back its BOOST POWER!

...That said, looks like I don't have a problem with Falcon's new fastfall speed after all.

I think Zelda's D-Tilt ranged hitbox should be moved further away from her, though. It's way too close to her as-is, considering she's supposed to be a keep-away character.

Unrelated side note: Pichu's U-Tilt has no SFX when it misses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I'll post future bugs in there.

Is the removal of Flying Falcon Punches' "boost power" a bug, or was it intended?

It must be unintended; why would anyone make an awesome move like that unusable without suiciding...?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
You'd have to ask Mech about that. I've never touched Falcon before.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
In most cases, I'd be inclined to tell you to stop complaining, Bent.

But this time, I'm actually in full agreement about the punch. It feels off without that momentary pause when the punch comes out...

Ferrous Faucet

I just tried Kienamaru's version of Gecko OS, and it was the same as the Gecko OS I was using anyway (version 1931). When the game started (which showed the vBrawl strap screen since I had previously deleted the custom strap screen from my SD card), I pressed the A-Button immediately and it changed to the second screen (Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB) and froze there.

Also a friend of mine said he tried 3.5 on his Wii U and it froze when he pointed at Roy on the CSS.

Overseer

This is awesome! Roy is incredibly fun to play. I think I found yet another main.
I'm good with the Zelda changes, but I agree the ranged D-tilt should be further away. It is too close to her right now.

Question; how do I use Toon Link's Light Arrows?

Thor

We've suggested it, it hasn't really flown as an idea, both because light-arrows probably make the others obsolete, and because they can't figure out how to do it...

Other Aether

Mediator
Wait. Quick question-what makes different effects on TL's arrows different from different effects on Samus' missiles?

daftatt

Did anyone check to see if people who were crashing on stage select were using AXNextframe for hook type? Because I wasn't before and 3.3 SSS was crashing, but then I switched and it stopped... Soooo that would be amazing if the problem were that simple (unlikely) but I can hope because I miss the stage expansion dearly.