Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Pin Clock I know it's a double post but it's ban over 6 months since you started this thread [was started early December, it's now late May], and I'm pretty sure most finals should be over by now...

Is Minus 4.0 even near completion? Do we have the end of May? Two weeks? Another month? The end of summer? Never?
Thor; Sammi is homeless. Until he gets his life back together, or we get someone as good at coding as he is(which probably ain't gonna happen), 4.0 is pretty much on hold indefinitely.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

Last week of school for me but my semester began a week late.

As long as what we get is good, they can take all the time they need. Granted, I feel like this community would benefit with more smaller patches. There isn't enough community here really to do anything but check for brawl minus updates, which makes the wait seem even longer.

Edit: That sucks for Sammi ;-; I hope all goes well.

Thor

Thor; Sammi is homeless. Until he gets his life back together, or we get someone as good at coding as he is(which probably ain't gonna happen), 4.0 is pretty much on hold indefinitely.

Was unaware. I am sorry. : (

I hope Sammi gets his stuff back together [regardless of if Minus ever receives another update].

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
We've run into some road bumps, specifically with the business of life as well as circumstances of certain team members. We are doing what we can, but that's unfortunately not saying much at the moment.

I want to say Summer, but that's being optimistic.

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I'm really hoping Ike's No Sympathy isn'y nerfed. I feel that his Razing Eruption, Instant Eruption, Aetherial Eruption, and other No Sympathy perks are crucial to his mindgame. Personally, I main Ike and I think I do so pretty well, to the point where playing in free-for-alls, my friends feel the need to double or even triple team me. Things like Razing Eruption help me deal with that. Though, considering that Minus is apparently based in 1v1, these same techniques also help me turn things around against characters like Fox and Pit, if they happen to fall for it. Ike's Elfire is useful for edgeguarding and further adds to his mindgame. I would hate to see him built up all this time only to once again be limited.

Thor

I'm really hoping Ike's No Sympathy isn'y nerfed. I feel that his Razing Eruption, Instant Eruption, Aetherial Eruption, and other No Sympathy perks are crucial to his mindgame. Personally, I main Ike and I think I do so pretty well, to the point where playing in free-for-alls, my friends feel the need to double or even triple team me. Things like Razing Eruption help me deal with that. Though, considering that Minus is apparently based in 1v1, these same techniques also help me turn things around against characters like Fox and Pit, if they happen to fall for it. Ike's Elfire is useful for edgeguarding and further adds to his mindgame. I would hate to see him built up all this time only to once again be limited.

What we know as of now [if the dev team isn't changing things AGAIN] is that Ike's No Sympathy mode WILL be changed. However, one thing Ike is receiving [whether No Sympathy Mode is buffed or nerfed] is the ability to store Eruption at will [like a Samus charge shot] (although he can't store it in stages as far as I know - he can either get a full charge or no charge stored).

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Storing eruption is better for him than the "perks" he gets from NSM imo. There really isn't much of a mindgame to dealing more damage and being a bit faster. With the hitstun as ridiculous as it is, it's easy enough to just combo into a stored eruption from anywhere. That in itself is a better mindgame, because it forces opponents to play more defensively if they don't wanna get blown to smithereens.

Lucis Perficio

Storing eruption is better for him than the "perks" he gets from NSM imo. There really isn't much of a mindgame to dealing more damage and being a bit faster. With the hitstun as ridiculous as it is, it's easy enough to just combo into a stored eruption from anywhere. That in itself is a better mindgame, because it forces opponents to play more defensively if they don't wanna get blown to smithereens.

I see your point. Though unless you've played Ike as extensively as I have, you won't see the advantages that NSM provides Ike in terms of mindgame. The heatwaves produced by Ragnell during NSM provide a significant mindgame considering opponents need to time their dodges and shields much better, lest their shield be broken after just two well-spaced NSM fAirs. The heatwaves coming from Ike's down and up smashes are deceptive enough to catch targets that try to roll or air dodge out of an attack.

Not to say that I wouldn't rather store an eruption than build up NSM through damage-dealing, but the way NSM is now demands that Ike play aggressively. There have been numerous cases in which I've been able to Zero-Death a player simply because I dealt 75% damage with Ragnell, thus activating NSM and allowing me to use something like Aetherial Eruption or Instant Eruption. Take a scenario between Ike and Fox in which Fox is trying to side-b back onto the stage after an Ike combo. If Ike has an Eruption ready from dealing all that damage, he can easily reject Fox's return with a well-time Insant Eruption.

Add to that that a fAir spam using elfire adds to its spacing/zoning/edgeguarding properties.

I would just hate for Ike to lose the theatrics which he now possesses. It makes him a much more complex character imo, allowing mroe creative play.

I'm all for the Eruption storage, so long as it doesn't take away from his Aetherial Eruption, Razing Eruption, Elfire, and other NSM perks.

I recently read a fan submitted suggestion to changing Ike's NSM so that it is separate from his Eruption charge, and would require his taunt to activate NSM. I'm referring to the suggestion in this link: http://brawlminus.net/forums/threads/suggested-changes-to-improve-ike.427/

Though considering how the devteam has worked on Ike so far, I feel I've got little to worry about.

Gold_TSG

I've mained Ike since vbrawl, and I'm very knowledgeable with everything he's capable of. I helped tone down some of the more broken things back when I was in the BR, such as the wind boxes that his fair and fsmash had that caused him to get instant stocks by the ledge at lower %s because of the wonky hitstun.

Lucis Perficio

I've mained Ike since vbrawl, and I'm very knowledgeable with everything he's capable of. I helped tone down some of the more broken things back when I was in the BR, such as the wind boxes that his fair and fsmash had that caused him to get instant stocks by the ledge at lower %s because of the wonky hitstun.

I've mained Ike since vBrawl as well, though I never switched mains. Ike's been my main for 7 years.

Well obviously those things are no longer an issue and don't need to be compromised any further.

Why the switch between mains? I personally use Ganondorf as a secondary character. I find it hard to be creative with him with his lack of speed and extreme weight. The creativity comes more in which move I decide to use to follow-up combos.

Valravn

Ganon used to be one of my mains in Brawl-, but ever since picking him up in PM and Melee he's just seemed really really slow and static.

The king of evil is a slippery one, you see.

Gold_TSG

I don't really have a singular main. I have several. Who I'm best with at any given time depends entirely on my mood, but Ike and Dorf are two of the few I'm most consistent with.

Mariosonicman1

i wonder if there is a thread where we can talk about our mains and how much we love em.
Ganon used to be one of my mains in Brawl-, but ever since picking him up in PM and Melee he's just seemed really really slow and static.

The king of evil is a slippery one, you see.
also seeing that video makes me wish there was a sound pack for ganondorf to use his CDI voice clips thanks to that video XD

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I've mained Ike since vBrawl as well, though I never switched mains. Ike's been my main for 7 years.

Well obviously those things are no longer an issue and don't need to be compromised any further.

Why the switch between mains? I personally use Ganondorf as a secondary character. I find it hard to be creative with him with his lack of speed and extreme weight. The creativity comes more in which move I decide to use to follow-up combos.
Gold is the best player on these forums and he plays nearly every character at a high skill level. His opinion cannot be simply swept under the table simply because he doesn't main Ike. This arguement is moot anyway since NSM in it's current form is being removed, and will be replaced with a version where Ike is simply faster while retaining the same power, which is much more dangerous in my opinion.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
He quit Smash in general.
My data says otherwise, but you're more active here than I, so I'll leave this alone here.

My main gripe was quibbling over the semantics of the phrasing. In one phrase his skill was spoken of in the present tense and in another it was in the past. It was left unclear, and I emerged.

Gold_TSG

I unquit smash 4 cause I got bored. Minus is still a hefty "NO" tho.