Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
So hopeful.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
At this point there's no way they couldn't get it out before March.

Inb4 it comes out after March.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
I think he means before next March.
YoLo.

NEWB

That being said, it has been three quarters of a year since 3.Q. Is 4.0 going to be a minor patch or an overhaul? During the fist dev stream, it seemed like many characters that we asked about weren't touched at that time. It feels like it's just a patch but enough time has passed for it to be a more substantial release. If that is the case, I'm actually a little hyped now.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
@NEWB , i think you know well enough now how dangerous it is to both the fans and the devs to encourage hype.. most likely, this is just gonna be a patch, but with a few new aspects, like a chargeable thunderhand or something that only a few characters are going to have that's really note-worthy... I kinda wish they could do more, like increase the number of stages, and i hope they can put in a new character soon, but for the most part there isn't a lot that's as unique about minus as there used to be.. just the way characters work, and there are as many gripes and complaints as praise and appreciation from the changes and the things that remained the same...
the only reason i still stick with this is because for the most part, the characters remain at a level of getting balanced together, whereas downloading your own hacks rarely works that way...

NEWB

That's honestly the best idea about minus dood. I downloaded minus because everyone had a hacked moveset and I didn't need to find one for every character to even try and balance it. Minus of course still has its own merits. It feels like they have less now because what drew people to minus in the first place were the stupidly overpowered for the sake of being overpowered moves. Those things also made for a "bad" game unfortunately. Minus helped me get interested in competitive smash as a whole so I'm actually happy stupid things like rob shooting ten lasers are gone.

Every now and then though it DOES sometimes feel like it'd be nice to play with those sets again. Do we have a thread here dedicated to past versions of minus? I know it sort of came up back on smash mods.

Mariosonicman1

rob could shoot 10 lazers? wow. this makes me wish i was able to download characters from older versions to make them as overpowered as possible now

Jackpot

some angry little twerp
rob could shoot 10 lazers? wow. this makes me wish i was able to download characters from older versions to make them as overpowered as possible now

I didn't get into Brawl Minus until 3.Q, so I never got to witness a lot of characters' more broken forms. Meta Knight giving the opponent a Beam Sword after a forward-throw, Ness's "bat mode," Falco's slow Blaster lasers, etc.

Thor

I didn't get into Brawl Minus until 3.Q, so I never got to witness a lot of characters' more broken forms. Meta Knight giving the opponent a Beam Sword after a forward-throw, Ness's "bat mode," Falco's slow Blaster lasers, etc.

Slow lasers aren't even OP - with slow lasers, his gun is better for approaching but not for camping as much [you can mid-range camp, but long-range camping on FD gives your opponent all year to figure out how to break it], and his throws were worse as a result [easily DId uthrow and bthrow, but dthrow being a general use throw meant Falco was fine].

Bat Mode was removed because it was gimmicky, not because it was actually broken.

The multilaser was busted. So was Lucario's counter being the instant version at all percents and Link's mortal draw being comboable from a returning rang reliably.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
I do not think a "Patch" is worthy of being released if a big chunk of the year passed since 3.Q
Project M is planning on releasing/or already released a half assed 3.6 within a month or two of 3.5

I feel an over haul of Minus would be nice, but without changing too much of the game.
A patch, sure. But I agree. More stages and maybe even 1 new Character would be cool.
Maybe add CBliss support. 10 Costumes per character. I'd at least like to see it possible with Toon Link.
Sure, my Normal Toon, Dark Fire, Dark Caster, Gifted, Dark and Fierce Deiry are nice.
But I wanna add in Ichigo and Sephiroth Toon Link to seal the deal..

Could release Mewtwo. But make it like Melee. Kinda have too.
We don't have the ability to do a final Hit like Mewtwo does in Smash4.
The AAA combo. How he can do A, hold A, then when you released A, you can do a swipe.

If Nintendo has an issue. Tell them the Queen said it's fine. B|

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
4.0 is definitely more than a patch, we've got multiple champion reworks, major changes to several other fighters, tweaks to basically the entire cast, and a bunch of other planned goodies, like the return of CBliss and SEP, a revamped CSS, and more. That said, all we can give for a release timeframe right now is it's finished when it's finished, and we are still making progress.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
At least I was kinda right.
With the whole CBliss.
#Win

Also. Is it possible you're going to update Zeus?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Also. Is it possible you're going to update Zeus?

Despite hosting their mod alongside ours, and Glitch being on both teams, Brawl Minus is not directly affiliated with Brawl Minus Zeus, as far as the development of games goes.

We each make our own game our own way and have no say in what the other does.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
Despite hosting their mod alongside ours, and Glitch being on both teams, Brawl Minus is not directly affiliated with Brawl Minus Zeus, as far as the development of games goes.

We each make our own game our own way and have no say in what the other does.

Ah... I see.
I personally like Zeus more than Minus; is why I mentioned it.
Feels more Balanced. But Minus has Pichu and Roy.
Don't get me wrong. I'd play Minus over Project M any day.
But Project M has Mewtwo and Roy, thus is why I ever go back to it.
I'd love to steal the CSS code from Project M and throw it into Minus.
Then use the Minus Mewtwo on BrawlVault and throw it in Minus.
But Project M has no CSS code. I've checked, it has none.
Nor a Brawlex folder.

Confusing, huh?

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
And they never comment on what it is...
But maybe that is why the game feels so... broken.
Gameplay wise.
Doesn't have the Fluentness of Minus, Zues, DX and Main.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Gameplay wise.
PM hides their stuff so other mods don't steal them without giving credit. As for fluidity I'm going to disagree on that front. Minus Fox is incredibly clunky but that's becaude the engine hasn't been overhauled like Project M.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
Gameplay wise.

Fox feels very fluent, to me.

But what does thine mean about... "Overhauling the Engine" ?

Hiding their code? Come on. That is so last year.
No one cares for Copyright.
There are always loopholes to that rule.

If anything. Nintendo should be doing something about Project M for hiding their code.
Yes, I know this came out wrong. But think about it an extra ammount and you'll know what I mean.
Today is just an off day, for me.

NEWB

We all have those. No worries.

Today is so totally me day though! I was the first to finish my history test in my class! I even beat the smartest kid in the class who sits next to me. It sure helps that I didn't do the essay portion at the end

Valravn

PM 3.5 has been out for a lot longer than a month. Having seen some 3.6 test builds, it's actually looking really good. Especially for tournament play.

I'm pretty pumped to hear about the return of SEP though. Does this mean Big Blue is free?

Thor

PM 3.5 has been out for a lot longer than a month. Having seen some 3.6 test builds, it's actually looking really good. Especially for tournament play.

I'm pretty pumped to hear about the return of SEP though. Does this mean Big Blue is free?

I mean, all of the smash games are good for tournament play. Unless you are just talking about stage choices, at which point I guess variety is good?

I do want Big Blue back.

Valravn

My two cents: vanilla Brawl and Smash 4 are not good for tournament play, fun as they are. Smash 4 at Apex 2015 was grueling to watch while I was waiting for Melee Top 8. 6 minute matches, most of which went to time with only two stocks, and generally defensive play. It's probably more fun by far to play than spectate. What I was referring to mostly in 3.6 was a better UI, with neutrals and counterpicks being separated more cleanly and some important bugs being fixed. (Skyworld's overhanging clouds, Distant Planet's weird convex ledges, etc.)

Big Blue is definitely going to be a counterpick stage at our weekly tournament though. It's not balanced enough to be a neutral, but it's pretty fun.