New Characters in Minus

What character would you like to see added to Minus?

• K. Rool

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Micaiah

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Black Shadow

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Geno

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Bomberman

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Krystal

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Ghirahim

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Custom Robo

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Midna/Wolf Link

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters

NEWB

Wow, very extensive list here. Any of them could make potential characters I guess, but all of them would still require physics and animations and a lot of editing and whatever else is done to make a moveset. It gets to a point where they could just as well make someone not already in brawl. It would also be better if they had complete voice clips available.

Kazyx

NEWB said:
Wow, very extensive list here. Any of them could make potential characters I guess, but all of them would still require physics and animations and a lot of editing and whatever else is done to make a moveset. It gets to a point where they could just as well make someone not already in brawl. It would also be better if they had complete voice clips available.
Oh exactly. Though these ones right here all have some sort of model (be it trophy or actual animated characters) at least in the game, where some of the ones listed in the poll don't even have models, such as Micaiah, Bomberman and Ghirahim. But yeah, it was more or less just a collection of characters who have potential to at least get some sort of moveset built for them.

I never did apply things such as physics or animations into account, simply because I felt that was not a limit persay, just a time constraint that could hinder their chances. If we did that, then the list of potential additions could be cut down tremendously. As well, characters listed on the poll wouldn't even be applicable, due to said physics and animations where, as you mentioned, would "get to a point where they could just as well make someone not already in brawl".

Perhaps that was the original intent of the discussion, but I figured having at least a model to work with is a better start than creating the model from scratch in the first place. Doing that, the process of the character's creation would also increase in duration. It's a pretty fine line anyway in that regard, so anything truly works honestly. You just need the right rigging to work with.

And out of that list, not a lot of those would be personal choices for who I would want in. It's just a summary, like I mentioned, of who has models in the game already as a basis of sorts. If they choose to make, say, Lemmy Koopa from the Mario franchise, and they're got their heart set in stone for it, then they're willing to put the time and effort into a quality product.

Hopefully I don't come off as abrasive or attacking in nature, as that is not my intent whatsoever. We're just seeing two sides of the same coin, in a sense.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom

Other Aether

Mediator
How about a remake of young link?
He always was better than link in melee.
Uh, sorry, but Read this.
And I do quote: "Young Link now ranks higher than Link for the first time"
In all 10 previous tier lists, Link ranked higher than Young Link.
Okay, all better ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I don't believe Link or Toon Link are currently Brawl Ex able. but if they are, I can work on another Young Link moveset. My first one was pretty popular.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Oh. I thought Link and Toon Link had crossing articles or something mentioned. I dunno. But if Link can be added then I say we add Young Link. He could be the faster, weaker, vbrawl styled variant.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i think if young link is put in, it should be the OoT young link, AND adult link, with a master sword taunt-transform... that would be perty cool... moveset wise (or rather item wise) it would make sense to give young link the bombchus instead of bombs and obviously the boomerang should be exclusive to young link instead of adult link... item wise:

young link could use the masks, the magic beans, the slingshot, the boomerang, the deku stick, aaand i guess he had the owl, maybe...

adult link had the arrows (+ the magic arrows), the hammer, the biggoron sword, the hover boots (maybe can be like peach's hover, but shorter), the iron boots (maybe give armor on crouching, like he's put them on..?), the different shields, the suits, and i think the hookshot was the last thing...

...now, not counting majoras mask, this is the canon i think... other than these items, they BOTH have access to:

dekunuts (recommend to young)
bombs (recommend to adult)
bombchus (toy-like, so young)
the magic spells (adult)
and the lens of truth is the last item i can think of, which i guess could be a counter if you REALLY don't have enough here already xP

...but my idea is to give adult link the din's fire from OoT, and young link Nayru's love if it fits (to avoid too many magics going to one link)
the slingshot could go to young link, maybe with a stun, and the fairy bow and arrows to adult link (if possible, make fire and ice available, and only on fully charged)...

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
That entire thing sounds like way too massive a project, IMO.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i guess i know what you mean :p ...alright, i made a new topic on characters with a list of possible characters for brawl, starting with paper mario and OoT links, and followed by assist trophies and additional characters from franchises like metroid/F-Zero... see if you have any ideas for it too

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training
Either NiGHTS or Bomberman. Or Banjo-Kazooie.

NiGHTS: I imagine NiGHTS would be really floaty and a great aerial character, and some of the specials she uses could take form of her abilities in the games, like Rocket NiGHTS and Dragon NiGHTS. Paraloop could be her up-B, and control like Ness's and Lucas's PK-Thunder, but if you close the loop, it create a mini-vacuum like in the games. Twinkle dust could be similar to Zelda's magic attacks, but perhaps instead they add upward momentum instead of having two hitboxes.

Bomberman: What's this? A chaotic battlefield woefully underpopulated by bombs? A healthy flux of BOMBS should take care of that! Bomb-jumping, bomb-throwing, explosions. In fact, some of the attacks could get ripped from existing characters (Mario's f-smash, Peach/Marth/Ike counters to result in an explosion, Link's bomb-pull, Samus's powerbomb). Most likely hit attacks would hurt himself, much like Pichu.

Banjo-Kazooie: Half of their attacks could be pulled form their other games. B-K would be a heavier character with probably 3 or 4 jumps, focusing on power-hits rather than quick combos.

Azikira

After playing Super Smash Flash 2, I have to say that Bomberman absolutely deserves a spot in Brawl.
The model for him should be floating around the internet somewhere, and even if it's not, he's a pretty simple and straightforward character to make.

As for playstyle and possible movesets, he would definitely be more of a Trap/Explosives character similar in a sense to Snake, though not a strong close-combat fighter.
A rough moveset for him would be similar to his Smash Flash 2 outing, but with a few modifications to make him a more dangerous (and not so underpowered) opponent. For example, instead of just doing a spiral-jump (Up+B), he would jump off a bomb which would hit the ground quickly as if thrown downwards, while giving him a decent upwards jumping arc.
Here I have constructed a rough moveset;
Up+B = Bomb jump (He would leap in an arc towards whatever direction he was facing, while dropping a regular bomb below)
B = Create a bomb
B Held = Create a more powerful bomb over time, getting all the way to a Powerbomb
Side+B = Power Kick, it would knock opponents far but not do much damage, and would also kick bombs like in the games
Down+B = Manually detonate all bombs on the field

His regular A attacks would be
A= Forward punch
Side+A = A wound-up punch (like sonic) with explosive damage
Down+A = Drop bombs at his feet
Up+A = A large marble that shoots upwards (From Bomberman B-Daman) that can be grabbed by opponents

His arial A attacks would be
Down+A = An overhead rotational slam
Up+A = A backwards flip kick
Back+A = A powerful kick
Forward+A = An uppercut used to juggle enemies

His Final Smash would be throwing a huge Skull Bomb (Or Cluster bomb, depending which game you're playing) that would take out anyone within the blast radius.

Of course, no character is perfect and Bomberman would have some flaws too. Since he's usually killed in 1 hit in his games, he'd be an easy character to launch, but his mobility would make up for that. Also since ironically his demise is usually caused by a bomb, his weakness would be against fire/explosion type attacks, and his own B-Special bombs can damage him.

If made like this, Bomberman would be another excellent edition to the roster!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Hahaha. I found a Bomberman PSA in the Vault. It's in my Custom Build. He's great, but also incomplete. His own bombs can hurt him and the have the elemental types of Olimar's Pikmin.

Link is able to be cloned. The Toon Link rel is still being worked on last time I checked. :)
They've released a few beta EXmodules and Toon Link's is one of them. I use it. It seems to work for Skull Kid.

Azikira

Hahaha. I found a Bomberman PSA in the Vault. It's in my Custom Build. He's great, but also incomplete. His own bombs can hurt him and the have the elemental types of Olimar's Pikmin.

They've released a few beta EXmodules and Toon Link's is one of them. I use it. It seems to work for Skull Kid.

I actually used your idea of his own bombs hurting him, because that's totally canon to his character! And Skull Kid would be amazing, but I would also think he'd be hard to implement as a fair character.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Keep in mind these are not my ideas. I'm not that clever nor skilled at animating or PSA. I went to the Brawl Vault and used another person's creation.
The Skull Kid I have is pretty nice. He can shoot Deku Seeds, fight using Tatl and Tael, and his final smash is dropping the moon upon the stage. It's pretty epic. The guy who made it should be proud.

Azikira

Keep in mind these are not my ideas. I'm not that clever nor skilled at animating or PSA. I went to the Brawl Vault and used another person's creation.
The Skull Kid I have is pretty nice. He can shoot Deku Seeds, fight using Tatl and Tael, and his final smash is dropping the moon upon the stage. It's pretty epic. The guy who made it should be proud.

Either way, it's still a good idea. And that sounds awesome, any chance you could link to the Skull Kid mod?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Looks like Darx got the Ninja ability...

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i still thought that moveset felt like the animations could use some touching up :p

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Travis Touchdown...maybe. Great game.

NEWB

But most of his voice clip...isn't exactly...I'd say no. Great game though. Is he third party?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I honestly couldn't see him becoming a full character.