Community Request Thread for the next version after 4.0BC

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
:fox:Remove every psuedo wave-dash, redesign Fox: We will not be redesigning Fox this late in the game.
:yoshi:Shield Jump: This will be done. No reason for an exclusive weakness like that.
:wolf:Harder to SDI UpB: This was planned to compensate for the removal of the armor on the move.
:sonic:Visual Elements based on characters his colors are based on: Done
:link:Final Smash: Link's Final Smash won't be changed
:link:bAir, fAir requests: Consider them done
:ganon:Speed increase: What speed? Avoid vague requests.
:falco:B-Reverse Second Laser: While it may sound cool, it's way more likely to screw Falco over than help him. Only in FFAs would he ever need to turn around after the first one.
:falco:SideB reduced priority: You said if Wavedashing is added, and we're not adding Wavedashing, so no to this.
:falco:fAir tweaks: It doesn't need those tweaks and the hitboxes wouldn't really add a lot to his game, if anything at all. Just make fAir more confusing but in the opposite direction.
:bowser:PM dTilts: Yes
:diddy:bAir changes: giving bAir normal knockback just makes it a second fAir, which is pointless since this move already leads into fAir.
:zelda:Cancel at the end of held uAir: Only on UpB and only at the end of the move. We can add some forgiveness but the goal should be to not make mistakes.
:snake:C4 Duration is infinite, C4 Fake-out: Yes to both
:snake:Walk during grabs: We will need permission for this animation, but we would do it if we had it.
:wario:Choose Bite Throw Direction: See above
:random:Moonwalking: See above, but with code
:ganon:Buff bAir: Why, exactly? It's a very strong kill move
:sonic:Reduce Dash Attack's final hitbox duration: We can do this, and compensate a little elsewhere so we aren't outright nerfing him.
:bowser:Decrease Endlag on Whirling Fortress: Okay
:random:Glide requests (again): If possible, an ideal solution would be to disable joystick glides when tap jump is off. We'll research this.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Request List updated UP TO the last batch of Dev responses. Still need to add those and the Requests from AGentleStar's long list.

Let me know if I missed anything before Pin's post above this post.

---

Request List updated up to this post, except for AGS' list of Requests.

There were a few sentiments I read that sounded like they could be Requests, but to be sure...

Did someone want Kirby's Copy Abilities to be weaker, more like the original moves? Or do you just want them to be more consistent across the board? As in, all of them should be about the same as / significantly better than their source moves? AGentleStar player_03

EpicNonBread said:
Personally I think Max Aura needs a mild Nerfing...
Is this a Request? I agree, especially those giant Aura Spheres that K.O. in 1-2 hits.

Pin Clock: Two questions:

1.) You said Snake's C4's duration will now be infinite. Will it still disappear when Snake is K.O.ed?

2.) Will Snake's C4 Fake-Out operate just like it does in Project M -- Hold B to Fake-Out, Tap B to Detonate C4 -- or will we be implementing the Request from Thor and myself that allows Snake more control over exactly when the C4 is detonated?
#1.) With C4 placed, pressing Down-Special and holding Special will lock Snake into a pre-trigger state of his detonation animation, and he will remain in that state until he either releases Special (detonating the C4) or Cancels out of it via any non-Special action.

#2.) If the above is true, Snake won't be able to fake out the same way he does in Project M, by holding Special. You could make him say "Now" and play a fake-out animation if A+B are pressed... but it would probably be easier to just implement Project M's setup instead of changes #1 and #2 here. I think changes #1 and #2 would give Snake more control over precisely when his C4 detonates, but this would require more PSA work.
Project M's Fake-Out is more streamlined, but the above setup would offer more control at the cost of...
A.) More PSA work, and
B.) Making C4 Fake-Outs a little more awkward to execute (A+B).

Finally, does anyone know who we need to get permission from regarding....

- Snake's animations that allow him to move backward and forward during a Grab,
- Wario's animations that allow him to toss Bitten foes behind him, and
- The code that allows moonwalking?

All I know is that all three of those features are from Project M.

While we're at it, we should ask for permission to use their Walking Box animation for Snake, too!

And the old "Good" / "Tasty" taunt they originally had on Snake, which they stopped using...
Unless we can come up with a better new taunt for Snake, that is.

Last edited:

Rejnka

Certified All-Natural Pinkan Berry Saleschu
Okay, so I figured out the purpose of Jigglypuff's Neutral-B thanks to catching up on this thread... but I still think it's got issues. Or rather, one annoying one. If you just tap the button, or don't hold it long enough, it has no use. At all (Unless you turn around, but even then it's shoddy). That's a... strange thing to not change from the original game. Being able to damage with Rollout quicker wouldn't just make my life easier, I think it would also be a good upgrade to Jigglypuff.

Another thing I'd like is for Kirby to be able to cancel the rising portion of Final Cutter in the air as well. I like using the jumpless Final Cutter on the ground as a projectile, yes, but having the ability to cancel rising up in the air as well might open up cool stuff. (also i keep thinking you can do it but that's not the main point) (come to think of it, we could use something to call it, but that's irrelevant)

I really hope these aren't too stupid, I'm not that hardcore about Minus I really just play it for fun so i might be missing something or am just using faulty logic or something

Did someone want Kirby's Copy Abilities to be weaker, more like the original moves? Or do you just want them to be more consistent across the board? As in, all of them should be about the same as / significantly better than their source moves?

I like the idea of copied abilities being slightly stronger than the originals. That's how it usually worked in Kirby games, right?

But since I don't play Kirby, I have no idea if that's actually necessary.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I like the idea of copied abilities being slightly stronger than the originals. That's how it usually worked in Kirby games, right?

But since I don't play Kirby, I have no idea if that's actually necessary.
While one of the April Fools' changelogs listed Kirby's copy abilities being ridiculously buffed for the sake of saying "He'll send it right back at ya for sure!" I believe that making Kirby's copy abilities worthwhile is one of the reasons why they're sometimes superior to the original moves.

IIRC, the grab cancel on inhale was removed and copy abilities buffed in a previous version of Minus as an attempt for people to actually use copy abilities - what Kirby's known for in his own games. I'm all for making Kirby's abilities better than the originals, but if people find that unbalanced, then I'm okay with it.

I'm all for making Kirby's abilities better than the originals, but if people find that unbalanced, then I'm okay with it.

Well, it's worth a shot. Request: Make all of Kirby's copied abilities slightly better than the originals.

-----------------------------

By the way, Lucis Perfico posted a number of suggestions in a different thread. I'm quoting him here so that they can be seen.

Would it be possible to make it so that pressing back on the c-stick while one's character faces forward yields a fTilt in that direction instead of a jab? It seems redundant that there are 5 ways to input jab with c-stick set to attack (every diagonally including back). It would make transitioning between Minus and Smash 4 less of a hassle for those of us who do (which I assume applies to most of us here).

Additionally, if it could be made so that the diagonal c-stick inputs angled tilts, that would make sense. After all, takes just the press of a button, although with c-stick set to attack there are particular things which can be done using the c-stick to jab, such as Ike being able to QD into sliding jab followed by a pivot-grab, so I'm mainly interested in the former. Although I wonder how Smash 4 makes it so that tilts can be angled despite diagonals yielding jabs as well. I'm assuming that if you're holding diagonally on the analog stick and use an fTilt, it will come out angled if possible.

Also, Ganondorf anglable fTilt sounds nice considering he's generally stiff regardless. Gandouken is meh overall and I'd rather he have a cape reflector ala PM. After all, it seems like implicit PM stuff has been added (which ofc wasn't included in the changelist) such as the tipper hitbox on Ike's eruption and the fact that Ike has greater horizontal mobility during Aether.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Another day another batch.
:random:Glide stuff: People seem to be mixed on this, so we will be researching the ability to disable it by turning Tap Jump off, disabling it for some and leaving it on for others.
:random:Harder AI: Cruel Brawl's AI is not harder, it's simply the foes are way more powerful. There is also no such thing as an AI level above 9. We will try to make it smarter, but we are rather limited in our capabilities of doing so.
:random:AI difficulty names: That was can do.
:random:Nametags to Minus references: We want to do this, but the Nametags are much more complex than any other text. We need to research more.
:random:Moonwalking update: Permission Secured
:wario:Bite direction change update: Permission secured
:snake:Walk during grab update: Permission Secured
:lucario:UpB/Smashes endlag: Any endlag on UpB is pointless as he can cancel it into anything. His smashes are punishable, try blocking.
:sonic:Dash Attack: It's being nerfed, we agreed on this after re-discussing it.
:samus:Samus damage buff requests: The poster doesn't seem to be responding, could you remove these requests?
:ganon:bAir: We buffed its speed marginally, we hope this compromise will suffice.
:link:UpB tether cancel: We tested every variation of this possible and there was no way to really make it balanced.

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I appreciate player_03 seeming to pay so much attention to my posts, as it doesn't seem that devs do as much:

I may be repeating some stuff just for consistency, this will be quite long because I want to include all of my thoughts since it seems like they will now be given the attention they deserve (that may sound pompous, but I've been posting all over the forum for the past year saying more or less the same things).

IKE: Give Ike the ability to perform grounded specials out of QD as he was able to do in 3.0 and 3.3 even without NSM. If this could be done with the exception of QD into QD being possible on the ground it would be all right, even though the removal of such wasn't in any changelogs, because without it Ike retains some of his personality instead of being a rushdown character like how everyone was in 3.3. In this case though I feel it would make sense for grounded QD to be jump-cancellable.

Since his windboxes are being removed save for his smashes (which seem negligible except for the windbox on fSmash), I think that the windboxes should be given some more heft. To my understanding, windboxes are useful for gimping, but since ledge-snapping is so consistent in this game and two-frame edge-guards aren't really a thing, it would make since for these windboxes to be more applicable. That would include uSmash having aerial windboxes (similar to Game and Watch's uair) and dSmash having vaccuum hitboxes to suck targets into the hits (since the move is generally less reliable than usmash anyway; either that or make the first hit of dtilt chain into the second)

Grant aether at least 10% armor, since most aerials deal more than that anyway. What's the point in Ike having a ledge-grab limit if his recovery is going to be gimpable regardless? If it were up to me, at least for the sake of compromising with w/e it is minus devs have planned for Ike, I would say give Ike his super armor back and make the consecutive ledge-grab limit 2 instead of 3, and remove the healing since it's a recovery move (and not in the sense of healing). It's nice that it heals, but it's ultimately insubstantial as it's only 4% and seems to exist only for flair. OOORRR (and I'm being ambitious here) make the ensnaring portion of aether cancellable into Ike's great aether kick combo (the set of kicks he performs before performing his multiple upward slashes before the downward spike; and that is only if it's going to have 5% or less armor. Also, if it would be possible for some of the moves existent in his Great Aether to be isolated for regular use, like the forward stab and those upward slashes, it would be interesting and could potentially round him out, since it feels as though he takes more effort than certain other characters as he is now (the forward stab could be made a held dash attack option, or vice versa, for example).

Make the original QD optional or cancellable on-hit. Ike is still easily gimped should he be lacking a jump if an opponent intercepts his QD low enough on the stage.

Please include all of Ike's voice clips (and to that affect, everyone's)! PM made it so that when countering, Ike says more than just the barely audible "YOU'RE OPEN" or silence when countering. His voice clips where he says "gotcha!" "ha!" "take this!" and so on should be included. That and Ragnell should always sound like two washing machines knocking together (aether's multihits sound less brollic in Minus than in PM).

GANONDORF: anglable ftilts to make him feel less stiff; they could be made to launch in the direction of the kick, or to simply deal flinching damage with no knockback for the sake of follow-ups, which would also lead to him having a better mix-up game. Much like how Pichu can hold the attack button on his tilts for additional effects, dTilt's quake-box should work in much the same way, with the tap version being an electric stomp that knocks opponents up; this would make it so that Ganondorf has more than one way to start an air combo that doesn't require a grab or that he be moving.

do away with the mostly useless gandouken (i preferred the one that looked like an extended warlock punch and served to kill, but overall I don't think they're particularly applicable); instead of giving him a projectile, give him a better way to deal with them like PM's cape reflector (could work in the air too since PM made it a floating move in midair, but his recovery in Minus is fine)

dSmash is easily over shadowed by other options unless the first hit is made to connect into the second as well

Grabs shouldn't kill as early as most of the rest of his moveset. I think they should be some of his latest killing options.

PIT: redesign to be less of an offstage troll (like by making his fair/bair launch at a more horizontal angle rather than semi-spiking) and so that his up-b windbox only pushes you further on the side that you're on, instead of pushing you behind him when you're above him; fix his ability to perform side-b into forward throw into side-b for free resets. It can guarantee zero-to-deaths on many characters and he's a character who can get a good four extra hits in if a person DIs the wrong way for just a second.

FIX TETHERS: on ZSS and Ivysaur (as they are the only characters I play with tethers), oftentimes the tether will extend to the ledge only to be like "lol jk" and retract; it's usually when very far offstage when this would happen, but I would say that instead of this, make it so that the tether doesn't extend to the ledge at all to avoid players feeling trolled by their own character, or make it so that the tethers extend MUCH faster so that the characters don't drift further while it extends to the ledge

BOWSER: Either remove the easy bake combos (royal rampage dthrow into galactic crusher; royal rampage dthrow into side-b into down-b) or make them unusable at mid-percents; I love the character but it doesn't feel right doing the same combo three times in a row to get the stock; you could say that my opponents aren't DIing, but even when they do, the proper reaction yields a different easy-bake combo, and even if misread, it's unlikely these follow-ups will be punished as people are trying to avoid any of the follow-ups

ROY: Fix sweetspots! Marth's is his tipper! Ike pretty much has uniform hitboxes on the sword. Roy's sweetspot should be on the hilt. He feels much like side-b->dair the character as it is relatively safe and reliable both on and offstage from what I can tell. If the sweetspot could be kept between the hilt and the middle of his sword that would make a lot more sense for him, with the literal tip of the sword being the sourspot on all his moves.

JIGGLYPUFF: Since Sing can be blocked and dodged, why is it still counterable? Seems unfair that any character with a counter can counter...sleepboxes?

FALCO: Since his up-b is being reverted, would it make sense for his side-b to be cancellable into aerials in midair?

OLIMAR: Really hoping he'll stop being side-b/side-tilt the character. His side-tilt displaces him greatly, is spammable and semi-spikes. Add to that the Pikmin launching at different angles, it seems like he was giving rather simplistic "fixes" rather than actually being considered in terms of balancing.

WARIO: Dragon throw should kill at reasonable percents. Not sure what the point of him having Goku's signature throw (I'm referring to the extended fThrow for those who don't know the reference) if all it serves is to hit other opponents (especially considering that I've been told FFA isn't considered in terms of balancing, this seems useless otherwise).

SEPARATE SHEIK AND ZELDA. Just about everyone I know that plays either plays them exclusively and hates that accidental transformations occur. I'm not sure how possible it is to implement Bouncing Fish or Phantom Slash, but even if they aren't (the former seems likelier than the latter), I feel all characters should be distinct, especially now that Pokemon Trainer has been separated into the three Pokemon he uses. Add to that the fact that Sheik and Zelda both have enough variety, and are so different from each other (much more than they used to be even though they were always very different), that people usually only bother to learn one over the other, and there seems to be little reason to switch since both of kill and combo options now.

DEDEDE: The dees are rather easy to deal with from my experience. It's like dealing with multiple Lumas that can only do one thing specifically. Though I do like that he has stage control options, I think that his moves could launch them at angles more favorable to him, perhaps being launched shorter distances if hit by his hammer to give him better stage coverage, since oftentimes his dsmash (for example) will send them flying, when they could potentially by used to cover him in the air while he approaches.

CAPTAIN YES: I've always found the Falcon Punch most reliable when using it after a long jump (not full hop, but a jump with lots of horizontal momentum) so that the startup occupies most of his air time and can be released by the time he lands. So if his weird lag when transitioning from air to ground with the Instant variant could be fixed so that the move works as a shorter, faster version of this, it would be logical.

Please consider FFA and team battles in terms of balancing. It seems that you are since I recall that the phenomenon where characters being launched could hit other characters is being removed, but I think this should be looked at all around.

I know that I reference PM a lot, but now that it's original creators don't support it, and there already seem to be implicit inclusions of PM stuff with certain moves/characters, idt it should be an issue, especially since there is no legal issue in using something that another mod has used (if the issue is "originality," sometimes it should be overlooked if something acceptable already exists). In that regard, it would be GREAT if Minus had a debug mode ala PM, since it would make the jank much easier to understand and eliminate the need for someone to have to make complaints on the forum only to be corrected with regards to something that may or may not work a certain way.

And last but not least....

PLEASE INCLUDE ALL CHANGES IN THE CHANGELOG. Particularly with Ike, he received many nerfs (detailed above) as well as buffs (aether having greater horizontal mobility, Eruption having a tipper hitbox) which were NOT LISTED IN THE CHANGELOGS.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
:snake:Walk during grab update: Permission Secured
Awesome! Would you please ask for permission to use Project M's Walking Box animation and their old "Good" / "Tasty" taunt as well?

hSyS196.gif

On a different note, alternate ideas to address the Request to Nerf Lucario's ExtremeSpeed:

To discourage Lucario from spamming ExtremeCheese, we could make the move do a little self-damage to Lucario every time he uses it, Pichu-style. Or we could slow down the startup of the move slightly... but the latter idea goes against the point of "ExtremeSpeed". Last of all -- and these are kinda out there -- we could make ExtremeSpeed gradually slow down or speed up the more it is used, having its speed reset after a cooldown period or when Lucario is K.O.ed. Slowing it down as it is spammed sounds more sensible, since speeding it up could be a major Buff in practice, unless it goes so fast it gets hard to control. Even then, out-of-control ExtremeSpeed would just send Lucario out near the blast zones often, leaving stage-bound opponents waiting for it to return... Not fun. Never mind speeding it up.

I'd personally like to see double ExtremeSpeed removed, along with the excessive number of jumps for winged fighters (unless we Buff everyone else's aerial mobility, à la Extreme Quick Attack), but I don't think either of those Requests would fly. Pun intended.

Last edited:

Thor

:fox:Remove every psuedo wave-dash, redesign Fox: We will not be redesigning Fox this late in the game.

This wasn't even a [fully] serious suggestion, and it got considered?

LOL

This idea is probably really low on the totem pole of ideas to implement, but what if Mewtwo's final smash was just letting him teleport infinitely many times, allowing him to combo with ease? "Behold my power! I am the most powerful Pokémon in the world!" [or something like that?] It could also do other things like allow him to set multiple future sights or having fully charge shadow ball for the duration of the final smash...

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
Just some quick typed up responses to some of these,
FIX TETHERS

If I'm not mistaken, this has to do with using the tether as you are moving out of the detection range for the edge for that specific character. I don't know if there is actually a way to fix this.

GANONDORF

PM's ftilt options were fantastic and would be nice for Minus as well. His DSmash already links both hits. I wouldn't mind seeing his throws reworked to be more combo oriented. If any of them worked like Dthrow and presented killing follow ups rather than being the killing move, maybe.

This is a common issue amongst a lot of the cast. Bowser in my opinion is one of many characters that is too centered around too few mechanics and is in need of a massive overhaul.

I believe his Up B distance is being reduced to Fox's length, not back to vBrawl. But I do like that both have different utilities for their Side B's.

Not to correct you, but I think you're referring to dtilt? But I do agree to an extent that Olimar could use minor reworking, but after playing him myself it seems his Side B isn't as strong of a tool as it makes itself out to be. I've made previous suggestions for him on this thread but devs have not addressed them yet.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid of Minus' wind-up mechanic and PM's throw animation while moving.

SEPARATE SHEIK AND ZELDA

noooooooooooooooo. There is no good reason for this and completely shuts out people who enjoy using both halves of one "character". They already made the transformation cancelable to compensate for accidental transformations (which shouldn't happen anyway if you're well practiced in your character).

Please consider FFA and team battles in terms of balancing

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. So you are in favor of removing the "characters becoming active hitboxes during hitstun" mechanic?

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
This wasn't even a [fully] serious suggestion, and it got considered?

LOL
Anything posted in here that sounds like it could be a reasonable Request can end up on the list.

This idea is probably really low on the totem pole of ideas to implement, but what if Mewtwo's final smash was just letting him teleport infinitely many times, allowing him to combo with ease? "Behold my power! I am the most powerful Pokémon in the world!" [or something like that?] It could also do other things like allow him to set multiple future sights or having fully charge shadow ball for the duration of the final smash...
Mewtwo currently has Lucario's Final Smash, right? The only way I can think of topping that is to let Mewtwo (during the Final Smash only) Teleport infinitely, drop more Future Sights, make their blast radius much bigger, and make Shadow Ball as strong as MAX AURA Sphere.

...But yeah, I doubt Final Smashes are high on the priority list at all. I do hope Waluigi's gets fixed, though.

noooooooooooooooo. There is no good reason for this and completely shuts out people who enjoy using both halves of one "character". They already made the transformation cancelable to compensate for accidental transformations (which shouldn't happen anyway if you're well practiced in your character).
Agreed. As I said once before...
Bent 00 said:
I'm content with Zelda keeping Transform. If it is replaced, it should be replaced with a new move that is at least as useful as Bouncing Fish.

I don't see anyone making entirely new Down-Specials for Zelda and Sheik this late in the game, anyway.

Thor

Anything posted in here that sounds like it could be a reasonable Request can end up on the list.

Mewtwo currently has Lucario's Final Smash, right? The only way I can think of topping that is to let Mewtwo (during the Final Smash only) Teleport infinitely, drop more Future Sights, make their blast radius much bigger, and make Shadow Ball as strong as MAX AURA Sphere.

...But yeah, I doubt Final Smashes are high on the priority list at all. I do hope Waluigi's gets fixed, though.

Agreed. As I said once before...

I don't see anyone making entirely new Down-Specials for Zelda and Sheik this late in the game, anyway.

The best argument for separating Zelda and Sheik (in my opinion) is so that they can buff Zelda properly.

Sheik is a very good character on her own, and making Zelda a high/top tier as well would probably make Sheilda the best character in the game, unless they shared multiple losing MUs [if Fox, Falco, and Mewtwo were all bad MUs (just an example, I don't know what their spreads are)].

(My point is moot if the dev team doesn't balance the character considering Transform [that is, if they balance them separately and just kinda accept the end result], but if they do, it'd add one new move to Sheik's moveset and allow them to buff up Zelda more.)

Otherwise the character functions quite solidly as a character that can switch.

(The only other reason to allow them to be split (that I can think of) would be if people wanted all the characters to be their own entities, like Smash 4, since Pokémon Trainer is already like that, but I don't know how much of an argument that actually is.)

Lucis Perficio

Just some quick typed up responses to some of these,

If I'm not mistaken, this has to do with using the tether as you are moving out of the detection range for the edge for that specific character. I don't know if there is actually a way to fix this.

I believe his Up B distance is being reduced to Fox's length, not back to vBrawl. But I do like that both have different utilities for their Side B's.

Not to correct you, but I think you're referring to dtilt? But I do agree to an extent that Olimar could use minor reworking, but after playing him myself it seems his Side B isn't as strong of a tool as it makes itself out to be. I've made previous suggestions for him on this thread but devs have not addressed them yet.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. So you are in favor of removing the "characters becoming active hitboxes during hitstun" mechanic?

I hypothesized that tethers weren't working for a similar reason, although I feel this could be fixed if tethers moved to their respective ledges more rapidly so that the character doesn't float way from the ledge, and thus the detection range, but the time it actually extends to the ledge. I imagine there must be a reason as to why this doesn't occur in Smash 4 (or at least occurs less often because I've never seen it happen to anyone with a tether grab).

I'm referring to Olimar's side-tilt, though dtilt also moves him forward w/ a diff animation so I don't see why he should have two forward moving attacks with similar utility.

I understand that Falco's up-b is being made a length similar to that of Fox's, I just think that doing so makes it much harder for Falco to rule the air as is characteristic of him, since he won't be able to go out as far offstage without risking a self-gimp.

Bent says above that removing the transformation would allow for Zelda to be properly buffed. Additionally, most people I've seen that use Zelda/Sheik use Zelda OR Sheik and not both. The transformation cancel is a consolation to this however trasnforming and having to cancel with shield means that you then need to drop the shield or jump in order to avoid being punished for this, which is limiting for both characters, Zelda in particular as she lacks mobility. On another note, would it be a reasonable buff for Zelda to become invisible similar to the way Palutena does when she dodges in Smash 4? For Zelda's down-b, I think it would be sensible for her to have a "reflector" similar to Ness' which would heal her if absorbing elemental projectiles. It would make her a more dominant projectile user imo bc it would force others to plan their projectile use for when she'll have some kind of endlag.

I am in fact in favor of removing "characters becoming active hitboxes during hitstun" as it would make team battles and FFA less clunky and more room for strategizing. With Minus' wild hitstun (which I think is apparently too severe in later percents since you can spend like 3 seconds chasing after someone after a certain percent and still continue a combo), a phenomenon like this makes co-operation difficult and allows characters in FFA with large, strong hitboxes to dominate. I also said this in regard to Wario's extended fThrow being useless other than for hitting other targets, which is only useful in teams or FFA (and I've been told several times on this forum that FFA is not considered in balancing, however the properties of this move lead me to believe that said reasoning is inconsistent).

I forgot to mention...

LUCARIO: Double extreme speed is far too reliable, and in conjunction with his teleport down-b (which is definitely not a counter anymore) make it so that he can be relatively safe by spamming both of these. I like double extremespeed (assuming it refers to his ability to use an up-b from the ground in addition to one in the air) as it gives him means of combo-extension that he otherwise wouldn't have. I think that a reasonable nerf would be to remove its flinching hitboxes so that it exclusively does damage. That would mean that Lucario users would actually need to space the move properly in order to avoid being punished and to follow up properly. In this case I wouldn't mind a glide being implemented, say for the move being held, which could potentially also be attacked out of (maybe with something other than aerials, like specials) and itself lack any hitboxes.

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
I'm referring to Olimar's side-tilt, though dtilt also moves him forward w/ a diff animation so I don't see why he should have two forward moving attacks with similar utility.

I'm not really seeing how ftilt and dtilt are comparable when you look at the distances. But a lot of characters have this as well. Puff's Side B, FSmash, and dtilt all move her forward. But I wouldn't want any of them removed.

Bent says above that removing the transformation would allow for Zelda to be properly buffed.

I don't know how this is relevant but I strongly disagree on the statement, and that Zelda is in need of major buffs.

Additionally, most people I've seen that use Zelda/Sheik use Zelda OR Sheik and not both

This is pretty one sided considering most Zelda's I've seen have switched to Sheik and vise versa.

The transformation cancel is a consolation to this however trasnforming and having to cancel with shield means that you then need to drop the shield or jump in order to avoid being punished for this, which is limiting for both characters, Zelda in particular as she lacks mobility.

Don't accidentally transform.

I am in fact in favor of removing "characters becoming active hitboxes during hitstun" as it would make team battles and FFA less clunky and more room for strategizing.

Agreed, but mostly for competitive play. Doubles is heavily hindered because of the terrible mechanic that doesn't benefit any of the players. I'm surprised mechanics like these take this long to get fixed/addressed.

Last edited:

Farkus

Retired
So like 2 things.
1. I posted on this thread earlier giving a suggestion for an aesthetic quality of the game and had it shot down by Bent00 for a reason I think was silly. So I was wondering, does Bent have power over this thread at all? I feel like since he shot down my suggestion it hasn't been responded to or glanced at by an actual dev or anyone else. I just want to know how soon I can expect a response from someone who has influence over the games development. I appreciate Bent's input but I also want to hear the opinion of someone like Pin on the feasibility of my suggestion.
TL:DR Mama Pin love me and respond to my other post

2. Here are a few more aesthetic (or what I like to call, a touch of minus) suggestions to add to Minus.
- Maybe at the results screen when the player can check all their stats that don't really matter too much (i.e. swim time, hit percentage, flight distance) you can change these to more "minus-esque" stats. Things like "number of times taunted", "number of FREAKIN METEOR CANCELS", and "time spent camping ledge". You could even add extra flair to certain characters specifically like Ice Climbers could have a stat that says "how many times nana died =[ " or Fox could have "number of blips" and take count of the amount of times you shined during the game, or Peach could have one keep track of how many times you plucked a turnip and it could say "number of dishes served". I feel theres a lot of room for creativity and minus-esque ideas to flow here and I'd love to see what you crazy devs come up with.
- When you go to change your controls you can select a random name to apply your controls to. I think as a little nod to the community or important Minus figureheads you should change what random names have a chance of appearing. Make it possible for a person to randomly get the tag "Pin", "Husky", "Luda", "Bent", or even the coveted "BREAD" or "THICC" tags. I think that would be a fun little easter egg for minus fans or people who have been around its development a lot. Really makes people feel special and I think is a cute little addition.
- The CPU difficulty scales have descriptions for them. Level 1 is Puny, Level 9 is Nasty, yadda, yadda. Maybe add in new "minus-esque" descriptions to those as another slight little touch. Maybe Level 1 can be called "Shrimp" and Level 8 can be called "Kahuna". Heck maybe even break the limits and the scales and just make Level 9 say "666!!" to describe the intense level of skill and destruction that comes with the max level CPU (although Level 9's are a little lacking in difficulty lol but hey maybe you can even just edit the AI and make that specific level similar to the AI in Cruel Brawl mode or something)

These are all I could think of on the spot. I feel I'm forgetting a few good ones so I apologize for that. I also am not sure how realistic all of these ideas are but I really do think these little touches will give a nice "quality of minus" vibe to the game and everyone appreciates little aesthetic touches like that in a game. I really hope a dev or someone of influence reads this post and lets me know their thoughts and the feasibility of my suggestions. Thanks for reading guys and gals.

Might I also suggest Darx, CHUU!, and Bair?

The transformation cancel is a consolation to this however trasnforming and having to cancel with shield means that you then need to drop the shield or jump in order to avoid being punished for this

You can cancel Transform into any A-button attack. If your opponent is walking up to try and punish your shield, just hit them instead of shielding.

Lucis Perficio

I'm not really seeing how ftilt and dtilt are comparable when you look at the distances. But a lot of characters have this as well. Puff's Side B, FSmash, and dtilt all move her forward. But I wouldn't want any of them removed.

I don't know how this is relevant but I strongly disagree on the statement, and that Zelda is in need of major buffs. Jiggs having three moves to displace her makes sense for me because she has no projectiles, compared to Olimar who can toss 6 rapidly and then pluck more, rapidly. Add to this the fact that his projectiles ensnare opponents and launch, I don't think the two characters are comparable in that regard. Yes, they each have multiple moves that move each of them forward, but one having them compensates for a lack of range, where as the other compensates for what? [side note: i know that Lucas' side-b can move him forward along with his ftilt, and Marth's fSmash can do the same as well as his neutral b, and these characters have range, but of these moves only Lucas' ftilt is as easily spammable as any of Olimar's, whereas both of Olimar's forward-moving attacks are easily spammed, and only Jigg's dtilt is easily spammed; Ike used to be able to easily spam his forward moving QD on the ground, but this was removed as well despite not being listed in any changelogs).

This is pretty one sided considering most Zelda's I've seen have switched to Sheik and vise versa.

Don't accidentally transform.

Agreed, but mostly for competitive play. Doubles is heavily hindered because of the terrible mechanic that doesn't benefit any of the players. I'm surprised mechanics like these take this long to get fixed/addressed.

They are comparable simply because they lead to him being moved forward. Comparisons are generally made when qualities are shared between the two objects/subjects being compared, no?

It's relevant because you claimed that there was "no good reason" for Sheik and Zelda to be separated as characters, thus I gave you one in addition to the others I gave. Granted, because these reasons are being interpreted subjectively, any can be determined as not being "good" or "relevant." Add to that the fact that it being "one-sided" would imply that you too see what I see, or that I see what you see, that is to say that you would see most people playing the character(s) to play them exclusively, or I would be seeing people playing them and purposely switching between them. Saying that the mechanic shouldn't be changed because "don't transform" is like saying that roads shouldn't be cleaned because "don't step on hazards" (that's an analogy and not meant to be taken literally). I myself don't have trouble accidentally transforming, but I've seen that others do. If both our opinions hold any credence, the argument is two-sided at best. Furthermore, removing the transformation from each character wouldn't disable anyone who likes to use both, only make it so that they would need to stick to the character they choose upon selection, until returning to the CSS. To reiterate, reasons to separate the characters are, at least in my perspective (and I try to be as objective as possible if my verbosity and verbal precision haven't implied that already):

1. Sheik and Zelda's transformation's intended use (in Melee in Brawl) was to build up damage with Sheik, who had plenty of combo options but lacked killing power, and kill as Zelda, who lacked combo options but possessed numerous killing options. In Minus neither of these characters possess these issues, as both have ample combo potential as well as killing potential. Granted, Zelda's combos require calculated precision, and Sheik needs to built up damage beyond 100% in many cases, the former simply requires practice and the latter is mitigated by the fact that Sheik can now build damage much faster.

2. Sheik and Zelda could each be given a unique down-b.

2.5. For those of us who exclusively use a single character of the two, it's like we don' have a down-b to begin with.

2.75. For those who do use the transformation, I would like to know what the logic is in transforming when Sheik's lack of range in comparison to Zelda is compensated for by her speed and overall mobility, whereas Zelda's lack of those things which Sheik possesses is compensated for by her range and zoning capability. "Mind-games" sounds like something people would say in this regard, but any skilled player would be able o adapt to he set of potential mind-games to expect upon witnessing the transformation.

3. The shield cancel is a cop-out for the characters not being separated imo, and likely was added to compensate for accidental transformations (or mind-games but I already address this), which shows that saying something like "don't accidentally transform" isn't actually a sensible thing to say in this regard.

3.5. In the event that you transform prematurely, though you may want to turn into Sheik or Zelda from either, shielding at the latest possible point in the animation leaves you with the same character you started the transformation with, rather than the one you intended to transform into. So if you expect a punish and shield, you still won't be where you expected to be in terms of being either character if the move is intercepted. Granted, this can be used for potential mind-games as well, he raw quantity and quality of possible mind-games would be higher for each character if each had a down-special exclusive to her.

Even if transform is to be kept, I recommend that it be possible to shield later within the animation (perhaps with some sort of visual cue) so that one could end up being the character intended, and/or the transformation be made so that it requires a held down-b input in order to execute, so that each character could still have a down-b if tapped (the actual variants could be alternated, but moving transform to a "hold" input even if just held for a few frames longer would make accidental inputs less self-punishing).

Finally (in regard to EpicNonBread at least), balancing is always considered with respect to competitive play, I would say. If considered with regards to casual play I wouldn't call it "balancing", but just modding for w/e other sake. I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on this, and I hope you don't see my dissection of logic as hostile, as it is simply a way for me to establish that one argument consists of more consistency than the others.

Player_03 says the transformation can be canceled with an A move, although the friends of mine who have mashed every button on their controller numerous times when attempting to avoid transforming (or just mashing out of frustration) never seem to execute this. This is similar to how, despite being told that Ganondorf's dSmash hits connect, it doesn't appear that way for me. I'm assuming that I may be downloading the patch from the site or loading it on Wii/Dolphin in an inconsistent manner in this case, and hence would like to know how to remedy this.

Furthermore, I don't think GANONDORF needs more combo throws, since he's intended to be a read/bait&punish character. I would say one combo option for each set of his moves (aerials, grounded normals, specials, but obv not smashes even if usmash combos sometimes at low percents) is sensible. Or, if more of his throws are going to lead to combos, they should each be at different percent ranges, with dThrow working at the lowest percents. I could see uThrow working as a later combo starter rather than being a late(r) kill move, esp. since its multihits make it punishable in teams/FFA.

Also ZSS' dThrow should be sped up imo. As much as I like her I don't think she should have a pseudo-taunt in her throw, or maybe the slow-down should be optional upon holding down on the analog stick during the throw.

I rly hope devs will read this and not ignore it despite how long/detailed it is. I'm only writing so much for the sake of being thorough. I would mod the game myself but at this point Minus simply has a bigger (albeit not sure how big because of issues regarding community cohesion/activity) audience. I share in Young Boy Bread's sentiment of wanting actual [constructive] dev inputs including their thoughts on my suggestions and reasonings behind their thoughts, with a willingness to entertain continued discussions as well.

Last edited:

Lucis Perficio

This is a weird suggestion but is it possible if you guys can add Pivot Tilt attacks like Smash 4? If not, I would understand why.

I would like to know why it wouldn't be possible. If it is and isn't implemented I would assume it's simply to keep he mechanics separate from Smash 4, and because it would enable other techniques which would affect certain characters differently and require further analysis for patching, such as perfect pivot. I imagine characters with low traction would have godlike pivoting abilities.

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
They are comparable simply because they lead to him being moved forward. Comparisons are generally made when qualities are shared between the two objects/subjects being compared, no?

Fair point. Personally speaking as one of the few Olimar players though, I don't really see many people calling his ftilt a movement option. It's utility in this regard is entirely overshadowed by that of the superior dtilt.

It's relevant because you claimed that there was "no good reason" for Sheik and Zelda to be separated as characters, thus I gave you one in addition to the others I gave.

The question of relevance was mostly pointed at Bent's word on how removal of the mechanic would allow for "proper" buffs to Zelda. I don't think Bent's opinion on whether or not that is true is a justifiable reason to use.

Furthermore, removing the transformation from each character wouldn't disable anyone who likes to use both, only make it so that they would need to stick to the character they choose upon selection, until returning to the CSS

This is exactly what I'm suggesting against. Traditionally the two characters we interchangeable and I don't see much reason to remove this for the sake of buffs or for the sake of poor skill resulting in misinputs. Also as player_3 has pointed out, they are given both offensive options and defensive options for acting out of the transformation. What Minus has implemented is the absolute best way to satisfy both sides without the need of creating new unnecessary moves.

For those of us who exclusively use a single character of the two, it's like we don' have a down-b to begin with

This is heavily exclusive to the people who do use both characters, and for them they get to cater to two different playstyles and a much wider variety of MUs.

For those who do use the transformation, I would like to know what the logic is in transforming when Sheik's lack of range in comparison to Zelda is compensated for by her speed and overall mobility, whereas Zelda's lack of those things which Sheik possesses is compensated for by her range and zoning capability. "Mind-games" sounds like something people would say in this regard, but any skilled player would be able o adapt to he set of potential mind-games to expect upon witnessing the transformation

First thing that comes to mind is MU variety. Second, is player comfort.

The shield cancel is a cop-out for the characters not being separated imo, and likely was added to compensate for accidental transformations (or mind-games but I already address this), which shows that saying something like "don't accidentally transform" isn't actually a sensible thing to say in this regard.

Minus has certain been shown to not be afraid of drastically lowering the skill ceiling of the game in many regards, and revising mechanics to suite those who can't probably handle their characters is just one of those ways. The immediate cancel was a good touch but asking for even more is just shutting out the players who already enjoy the two characters as a hybrid.

says the transformation can be canceled with an A move, although the friends of mine who have mashed every button on their controller numerous times when attempting to avoid transforming (or just mashing out of frustration) never seem to execute this. This is similar to how, despite being told that Ganondorf's dSmash hits connect, it doesn't appear that way for me. I'm assuming that I may be downloading the patch from the site or loading it on Wii/Dolphin in an inconsistent manner in this case, and hence would like to know how to remedy this.

I can verify that both of these features are in-game and that your build is either out-dated or bugged if it is missing either of these.

I share in Young Boy Bread's sentiment of wanting actual [constructive] dev inputs including their thoughts on my suggestions and reasonings behind their thoughts, with a willingness to entertain continued discussions as well.

Agreed. As it seems the dev team as a whole doesn't report feedback as often as we like in comparison to say, other notable smash mod dev teams or even dev teams of other titles. It's heavily work noting however that unlike Project M, Brawl Minus is being put together is being pieced together with a much smaller team size. Which only brings the question to my head why don't they hire some more devs?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Bent says above that removing the transformation would allow for Zelda to be properly buffed.
I don't know how this is relevant but I strongly disagree on the statement, and that Zelda is in need of major buffs.
The question of relevance was mostly pointed at Bent's word on how removal of the mechanic would allow for "proper" buffs to Zelda. I don't think Bent's opinion on whether or not that is true is a justifiable reason to use.
I think Lucis meant to say Thor. I'm not advocating the removal of Transform.

It is true that replacing Transform could Buff Zelda a lot, but I don't think it's necessary at this point.

However, if it's something that the Devs would like to look into... Maybe we could come up with a suitable new move.

I think it would be much easier to leave well enough alone here, though. The devs have a lot on their plate already.
As far as I know, we still don't have a dedicated animator on staff, so where would we get the animation for a new Down-Special?

Even if we did give Sheik and Zelda a new Down-Special, I don't see any reason why Transform shouldn't still be accessible somehow.
One of the unique things about Brawl is that it's the last Smash to feature mid-match character switching. Let's keep that.

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
so where would we get the animation for a new Down-Special?

While this suggestion would very much limit the accessible resources for the dev team to use, they could borrow another one of Zelda's/Sheik's animations for the sake of some sort of new move if they really wanted to squeeze one in. That's not to say that this is necessary though. It is unfortunate that the team is lacking in animators though if that is the case.

I guess I should mention that I used to play Zelda+Sheik, and I never accidentally transformed. I only rarely switched mid-match, but I appreciated having the option. And I definitely made use of Transform cancels. I mainly used it to airdodge out of hitstun, but it's occasionally good for mindgames too.

Player_03 says the transformation can be canceled with an A move, although the friends of mine who have mashed every button on their controller numerous times when attempting to avoid transforming (or just mashing out of frustration) never seem to execute this.

If they can't cancel Transform into A-button attacks, then your friends are bad at pressing the A button.

(Also, why would you try to dispute something that you could easily test for yourself?)