Brawl Minus 4.0BC: A New Era!

Thor

Yeah I believe that's right. I had to use the stage builder method before I pulled the Minima Launcher files from my other SD card and was able to run it through Homebrew. Just make sure you delete all your stage builder stages first if you use that method!

I always run default so I'm glad I won't need to modify stuff. Thanks.

Thor

4 things I thought of while trying out 4.0BC [withholding criticism or big points or whatever, just thoughts]:

1) Alternate costumes were added for some but not others... could we *PLEASE* get golden Captain Falcon next release? Someone made it and it looked amazing and it might be the final touch on a "golden" version of the game, so to speak...

2) Jigglypuff heals 10% when rest hits something [as well as 15% regardless]... but she doesn't heal more than 10% when hitting more that one thing [ex: resting an ICs still only heals 10%]. Could this be changed to heal 10% per object hit? I think it'd be hilarious to see someone heal 35% because they somehow rested the opponent and the smashville balloon, and it would make double rests much more rewarding in teams and FFAs...

3) I expected Mewtwo to keep his standard pathfinder double jump and have an absurd recovery, but this one is quite interesting. He seems like he could be really good if I knew when to teleport while trying to combo, but I'm not quite sure yet.

4) Ganondorf's dair now has a quite generous window to autocancel [you can go from the center of Pokémon Stadium up a slope and still get an autocancel] and Pika dair autocancels once again - didn't try Snake nair but I'll assume that's fixed and say I'm very happy those aerials function correctly once more.

ESC Artiste

The Pot is heavier than Ridley
So, things I've noticed (that I care about, at least):

~Mewtwo and Waluigi Brando. Everything I've wanted and more.

~Pichu did get fixed a bit, which despite being one of my mains is actually nice to know. Makes things more challenging while still being completely broken.

~Ike still has not gotten No Sympathy Mode from MAX over to 4.0bc. Would be nice to again see people tremble in fear at just the mere moment I have Ike say "Prepare Yourself" after a fully charged Eruption. Speaking of, Eruption is amazing, but if it were to be something like Smash4's Furious Eruption (it's hitbox is asinine), the remainder of my imploded brains would be in my neighbors house. Either that, or 1) when in NSM, Ike gets a 3% damage increase every two seconds, and his Eruption will grow both in damage/knockback based on his own damage-provided he doesn't take damage to himself as he is in NSM; 2) Once Ike reaches a certain damage percentage, say %150, an Eruption will OHKO, but he will also SD-and before he does so, he shouts "Prepare Yourself". Again, brain implosions.

~Marth is unchanged, which is fine by me. Love the Famicom skins! Also, just to make things more asinine, give Marth the Iai Counter from Smash4. Mmmm, the butthurt will be so delicious (God, I'm evil).

~Wolf is unchanged, again, fine my me. Long live the U-Air strings!

~Fox had some much needed changes to him, and I am quite thankful for that. :)

I could say things about the other characters, but I'm not as knowledgeable for said characters. Anyways, great update! Will be glad to play the ever-loving sh*t out of this version of Brawl-.

~Ike still has not gotten No Sympathy Mode from MAX over to 4.0bc. Would be nice to again see people tremble in fear at just the mere moment I have Ike say "Prepare Yourself" after a fully charged Eruption. Speaking of, Eruption is amazing, but if it were to be something like Smash4's Furious Eruption (it's hitbox is asinine), the remainder of my imploded brains would be in my neighbors house.

As an Ike player, this version is fine. Charged Eruption is already really scary - it kills at 40%, hits behind Ike, hits below the sword's tip, and lingers. Spaced correctly, it can catch any ledge getup option, and when you're that close to the blastzone, it kills at around 10%.

Also, it has armor frames, it breaks shields, and if you interrupt the move, Ike will often keep the charge.

ESC Artiste

The Pot is heavier than Ridley
As an Ike player, this version is fine. Charged Eruption is already really scary - it kills at 40%, hits behind Ike, hits below the sword's tip, and lingers. Spaced correctly, it can catch any ledge getup option, and when you're that close to the blastzone, it kills at around 10%.

Also, it has armor frames, it breaks shields, and if you interrupt the move, Ike will often keep the charge.

I understand this, and these reasons alone are why I use Ike's Eruption in the Smash games as an edgeguarding tool/and or mix-up off of a read. Believe me, Charged Eruption is the best thing since Sakurai's birth, but Furious Eruption will take that even further. I was going to advise Tesmpest as an option, but that move is more situational than anything, and the windboxes would probably be a b*tch to program just right. No Sympathy Mode is fun as all hell, but after a few playthroughs of using it, I understand why they took it out of the main series Brawl- and left it in MAX. It's too crazy, and its more for just sh*ts and giggles, which is more towards MAX than 4.0bc.

So, yeah. I stand by my advisement of adding Furious Eruption over Charged Eruption. After all, Brawl- was and is still meant to be Breaking The Limits of Smash.

DaSolarNeko

Gonna ask a pretty dumb question...but if I downloaded the Minus Portraits 4.0bc build how would I get it to work on homebrew?

dylan112358

I'm having some trouble. Using Gecko, it seams that i can properly launch it but as soon as it starts up, it becomes normal Brawl and crashes almost immediately. Anyone familiar with this issue and feel like helping me out?

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
So since the last patch before BC (that would be 4.0B over a year ago) I've had my concerns about Ike unaddressed. Neither patch mentioned nerfing Ike's quickdraw such that he wouldn't be able to shield or roll out of it, only that he wouldn't be able to spot-dodge. Additionally, in the previous patch there was no mention of Ike's quickdraw being nerfed so that he can't QD into another QD while on the ground, or be unable to use the move into specials on the ground (something that was possible even without NSM, allowing for things like sliding eruptions). Despite these not being in the patchlist and my saying so at least four times, I haven't gotten so much as a re-assurance that the changes will be corrected, or even a correction to the patch list.

SO WHAT'S THE DEAL HUH?

Overall the game feels much nicer though, although I can't help but think that the hitstun is just the slightest bit too long. At 160% or above almost anything becomes a true combo, and it seems to take away from the neutral game. Essentially if both players are of equal skill level, then the neutral game only lasts until about 80% and afterwards becomes a game of "who can perform their killing combo first and who can smash-DI best".

Edit: I also feel like the changes have allowed for character archetypes to return. Ganondorf feels as he should, needing to be played just a bit more patiently from what I've noticed, for example.

Edit: Ganondorf's nair still doesn't land quite as it should, hitting too late in the move or with a hitbox that's too far away (like on his feet) normally doesn't result in the 4-hit natural combo. I was thinking that it lacks utility to begin with considering it doesn't kill as early as many of his other options and rarely lands. I'd much rather have something similar to what old Minus builds or Zeus has where he performs a single kick. That could could be flinching with no knockback in order to allow aerial follow-ups. Either that or keep both kicks and make the first one interruptible, so that nair's second hit could still be potentially used for situational kills.

Last edited:

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
Would it be possible to make it so that pressing back on the c-stick while one's character faces forward yields a fTilt in that direction instead of a jab? It seems redundant that there are 5 ways to input jab with c-stick set to attack (every diagonally including back). It would make transitioning between Minus and Smash 4 less of a hassle for those of us who do (which I assume applies to most of us here).

Additionally, if it could be made so that the diagonal c-stick inputs angled tilts, that would make sense. After all, takes just the press of a button, although with c-stick set to attack there are particular things which can be done using the c-stick to jab, such as Ike being able to QD into sliding jab followed by a pivot-grab, so I'm mainly interested in the former. Although I wonder how Smash 4 makes it so that tilts can be angled despite diagonals yielding jabs as well. I'm assuming that if you're holding diagonally on the analog stick and use an fTilt, it will come out angled if possible.

Also, Ganondorf anglable fTilt sounds nice considering he's generally stiff regardless. Gandouken is meh overall and I'd rather he have a cape reflector ala PM. After all, it seems like implicit PM stuff has been added (which ofc wasn't included in the changelist) such as the tipper hitbox on Ike's eruption and the fact that Ike has greater horizontal mobility during Aether.

Last edited:

Mariosonicman1

Its been quite a while since we got an update on anything. has something happened?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
The next version of Brawl Minus is in development, and we're wrapping a few things up while preparing for the next announcement!

Apologies for the delays, life has gotten the best of us and has been claiming our time more and more.