Brawl Minus 4.0b is here!

Valravn

- Snake cannot FH nair and get all 4 hitboxes out (this was hugely disappointing for the Snake main of the group), and his nair leaves him prone to SDs offstage moreso than before (also a huge annoyance/risk if you ever try to do jab out of shield or shieldgrab, it seemed he'd just SD, much in the way that Brawl Ike's nair would kill him.)
I think it would be a more elegant solution to change Snake's nair timings to better suit the gravity, rather than changing the gravity back entirely. This version is a beta, I would think one of the main things we're figuring out is what was broken by the gravity change so that it can be fixed for the final 4.0 build.

- Lucario feels fine (at this point he might be perfect as is, without aura... with aura he'd be a monster still...)
Didn't the hotfix bring back the aura mechanic? I do think Lucario is much more balanced than before, although it's disappointing that he doesn't get quite as wacky with high damage.

My group has really enjoyed the gravity changes except for a few strange quirks. Combos make much more sense now, linked by gravity rather than by overwhelming hitstun. Just about the only consensus we have otherwise on the change is that ganondorf's short hop feels a little too short, and requires some intense timing to get off an aerial.

Thor

That is indeed hugely disappointing.

Agreed. Instead of increasing universal gravity, I think the devs should have just altered the weights/fall speeds/etc. of a few specific characters like Samus and Pichu. Most of the cast's air game felt fine as it was in 3.Q.

I thought they left that as it was in 3.Q? Falcon should still be able to JC Falcon Kick near the end of the move.

I believe he cannot JC it on whiff, unlike 3.Q [the way they changed Falco's reflector]. If Lucario's counter was more risky [or a host of other moves that are similarly very high reward but not as risky as Falcon Kick or Reflector], these changes would make sense, but they don't in the context of the whole cast.

It feels like the devs are starting to be scared of moves being actually broken and are settling for above-average... Lucario frankly feels perfect as is [without aura, with aura built in he'd be too strong again] especially if the devs would buff and balance around how he plays, but I'm pretty sure that instead of leaving the cool broken stuff in that's cool but not broken in a bad way
Falcon Kick, Raptor Boost invulnerability, Falco's reflector, Luigi's Thunderhand armor [and Mario's?], Ganondorf's dair (when it launched straight up, it was safer to DI... now if you DI it on the ground you risk killing yourself way earlier, which is in some ways even more broken but in most ways just makes it really annoying to play against), Kirby's inhale (he had powers that were worth it in some MUs, but it just makes inhale worse vs a lot of the cast, ex: Fox/Puff/Falcon/Ganondorf since you can't grab with it and those powers are not worth using inhale when you could do something else), Ice Climbers grab cancels, ZSS old dsmash, and more I'm missing I'm sure
, they just remove it. The game has stopped feeling like "Everyone is so broken that it's balanced" and is starting to feel more like "Well everyone has neat combo starters and can hit kind of harder than before... so now everyone is above average!"

Part of the problem is that the idea that stuff is broken means it's more susceptible to nerfs... Falcon Kick was still risky (you're still moving in a straight-line path for half the length of the stage), but now it's more risky because a few people decided that they'd rather complain instead of adapt [the only thing in this game that doesn't have real counterplay is Sonic's dair and perhaps now MK's... I've played Falcon dittos with a good Falcon to where neither of uses Falcon Kick that much because we both know how to get around it too easily to make it anything more than a mixup... similarly, raptor boost in our dittos is very frequently punished, I'm punished more often that not for using Reflector pre-nerf, and my Thunderhands were just powershield-grabbed because you can see it coming a mile away... yet people beg for nerfs instead of learning how to fight around it].

I don't think things should receive the nerf bat unless several people complain about it *and* no suitable counterplay is found, or unless it's so obviously broken that nerfs are immediately obviously necessary [see: Sonic's dair killing people at 0% and being able to be set up from one of his throws, Yoshi's bthrow killing at zero percent on certain stages regardless of DI and character weight].

Also it seems Sheik can be hit out of vanish while she's invisible... if that's the case, please revert it to being invincible while being invisible [as otherwise the move is a very poor recovery given the lack of hitboxes during movement] (unless that was the intention, but then... why???).

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Kirby's inhale (he had powers that were worth it in some MUs, but it just makes inhale worse vs a lot of the cast, ex: Fox/Puff/Falcon/Ganondorf since you can't grab with it and those powers are not worth using inhale when you could do something else)
From experimentation, we discovered the only power actually worth giving up the grab cancel for outside of some rare situations was Olimar's. When Kirby as a character is about Copy Abilities, and they are outclassed by another inhale option in actual practice, then there was clearly a problem in the design stages of the character. Now Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Samus, ZSS, Pit, Olimar, Dedede, Pikachu, Lucario, Snake, Sonic, and several other abilities have their uses since they aren't immediately outclassed by the grab cancel, and even more abilities will be improved in the future.

Ice Climbers losing the grab cancel on their sideB was to not make it redundant on the ground alongside their sliding downB, and the Jump Cancel on SideB is still a great option.

Also it seems Sheik can be hit out of vanish while she's invisible... if that's the case, please revert it to being invincible while being invisible
This one will be fixed in 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
I'm like 95% certain that Falcon Kick was not changed in 4.0b. Any cancels it does or does not have on 4.0b it also does or does not have in 3.Q.

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I personally enjoy the general gravity as is now, though I feel some characters should receive some changes in weight or fallspeed due to some of the complaints.

In the case of Snake, his nair could be made to come out much more quickly, but with enough endlag to prevent the move from being easily spammable. Not like Ganon's nair, because it's a little weird, but similar to C.F's nair (in that it doesn't necessarily ensnare the target). If it came out faster or was jump-cancellable that might fix the SD issue.

Link's up-B is totally useful on the ground lol especially when targets are being dragged towards you like a gale bomerang.

Lucario without aura isn't Lucario! If the mechanic would be removed, his ultra taunt would have to go as well. I personally prefer lowering his base damage, KB, and range, and have it cap at a lower percentage than in 3.Q (200%) seems great. In this case ultra taunt can be kept, though I think it bringing him to 300% still is a bit much.

Or maybe Lucario would benefit from having his aura evenly distributed between 1 and 999%? With the ultra taunt bringing him all the way to 999%? It would make ultra-taunting a much more high-risk high-reward thing for him.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Thor, you need to keep in mind two things here:
1) This is still a beta. They are still experimenting with the new gravity and working on fixes as problems are found. Crying "REVERT" does not help them fix any problems they are looking to solve for the final release.
2) Also remember that the community is larger now than when they focused on making everyone broken. Now that there is a more competitive side to Minus, balancing needs to stand in the light for a while. Everyone being broken as hell was a neat concept at the start, but just like life in general, it needed to evolve with the times. The game is still mostly broken and unique, but it is becoming a balanced level of broken. Nothing is more off-putting than fighting against people who use nothing but the best and most broken characters in the game. You can't live in the past like most of the Melee elitists do, you have to move on and evolve with the game, otherwise it will never really improve.

Thor

Thor, you need to keep in mind two things here:
1) This is still a beta. They are still experimenting with the new gravity and working on fixes as problems are found. Crying "REVERT" does not help them fix any problems they are looking to solve for the final release.
2) Also remember that the community is larger now than when they focused on making everyone broken. Now that there is a more competitive side to Minus, balancing needs to stand in the light for a while. Everyone being broken as hell was a neat concept at the start, but just like life in general, it needed to evolve with the times. The game is still mostly broken and unique, but it is becoming a balanced level of broken. Nothing is more off-putting than fighting against people who use nothing but the best and most broken characters in the game. You can't live in the past like most of the Melee elitists do, you have to move on and evolve with the game, otherwise it will never really improve.

It's exactly because the game is being more focused on competition that we need to let the stuff that's actually broken move along longer before just gutting it. Most of the things people list as broken are not actually broken IF you spend the time trying to find a way around it beyond "Don't let it ever start up." Falcon Kick is a great tech chase tool, but in neutral it's highly baitable and punish on whiff, JC or not [my confusion seems to stem from the fact that it was earlier stated that Falcon Kick would only be JCable on whiff, yet that apparently isn't in the final build, so my bad]. Luigi's thunderhand is a moving move with armor that kills, but it's easy to shield unless you're overcommitting hard, and at least in 3.Q it seemed very punishable on shields [could add some endlag if it wasn't].

The game becomes degenerate when an option is so dominant it overrides other options at all times. Thunderbrand, Falcon Kick/Raptor Boost [I'll admit Raptor Boost was a little silly, but definitely not game-breaking given how bad it was on shields and how it wasn't exactly safe on whiff either], Ganondorf dair, ZSS dsmash, and the other things I listed... all of them had clear and exploitable drawbacks that made them fantastic options when thought out, but pathetically easy to beat if your opponent knew what they were doing and how to deal with it. However, at this stage people are more interested in nerfing things that seem broken at first glance than in actually learning how to fight around such broken things [I catch myself doing this with Ivysaur chaining usmash into usmash into usmash into usmash into sweetspot usmash and I die, as well as with MK dair... that's why I essentially no longer push for nerfs, with the exception of Sonic dair because it literally breaks the rules that every other move follows, which is being able to meteor cancel stuff that sends you downwards].

A power level increase was expected and announced in 4.0, but Falcon was nerfed, DDD was nerfed [I'll admit some of his tools just seem plain wrong or excessive, but I'm no expert], Falco was nerfed [unless the slow lasers for a taunt is enough of a buff to justify calling him moved sideways], Diddy was basically nerfed, Fox was nerfed, and the list goes on... while some things were stupid enough to eliminate or tone down outright by inspection [Link doing jab jab up+b on a full shield shouldn't break it >_>], a lot of things are toned down because people complain a lot about stuff rather than learn to fight it effectively.

I was gonna say more but I'll cut it short here, with a just two last notes: While we obviously can't buff stuff forever because that's not quite possible, removing the tools a lot of people express support for seems a terrible idea, as opposed to nerfing other aspect or nerfing aspects of the move (people like armor? Start the armor later or weaken it. People like a cancel? Push the cancel back a little or increase the move's startup a hair... but don't just delete it outright...) seems a great way to alienate people from a character (see the Warlock Punch debacle). And the PMDT has gone the nerf bat route to questionable results, with the most broken character being Fox and the ones who escape the nerf bat and have borderline broken stuff, rather than the game actually having relatively equal nerfs that leave certain characters on top by seeming chance (3.5 left Roy on top because of very few nerfs, and 3.6 left GnW and ROB on top for the exact same reason). I'd love to see if the dev team could avoid nerfing anything for the next two patches (barring any glitches or something that's immediately recognized as way too strong [EX Yoshi bthrow]), although even I can admit this is almost certainly a fantasy at best.

Tl;dr the spoiler: I think that because the game is competitive, we need to let the stuff that's supposedly broken but still has clear counterplay rock for a while before removing it, because a lot of the stuff that's "broken" is also what makes the character fun to play in the first place. Sonic's dair is an exception because it violates game rules of "stuff hitting you down can be meteor cancelled".

Also I play Link in Melee, so I'm hardly an elitist in terms of preserving top-tiers or whatever. I just think that if we want to nerf things, we should take a Nerf dart gun instead of a nerf bat to the characters, and pick off in tiny pieces instead of huge chunks.

From experimentation, we discovered the only power actually worth giving up the grab cancel for outside of some rare situations was Olimar's. When Kirby as a character is about Copy Abilities, and they are outclassed by another inhale option in actual practice, then there was clearly a problem in the design stages of the character. Now Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Samus, ZSS, Pit, Olimar, Dedede, Pikachu, Lucario, Snake, Sonic, and several other abilities have their uses since they aren't immediately outclassed by the grab cancel, and even more abilities will be improved in the future.

Ice Climbers losing the grab cancel on their sideB was to not make it redundant on the ground alongside their sliding downB, and the Jump Cancel on SideB is still a great option.

This one will be fixed in 4.0.

Kirby was definitely better off eating Snake then keeping his extended grab range, given how fast he pulls proximity mines (pretty sure he could pull like 3 before he'd start grabbing grenades again) [unless that was removed]. He was also way better with Mach Tornado if it had the cancel [Mach Tornado uair or Mach Tornado bair or Mach Tornado fair hammer, although again, with no cancel it was worse]. While those are but 3 characters [counting Olimar], they are important. Also if he had the thunderbrand I'd much prefer thunderbrand over the extra grab range [at least pre-patch... with no armor I don't care about Luigi's thunderhand or fireballs all that much, and given how Luigi kills Kirby so quickly I probably want to leave Kirbycide on the table in case he finishes a combo and leaves Kirby alive].

I for some reason thought down+b didn't have the grab cancel in addition to side+b. That's why I just said "Grab cancels". My apologies.

P.S.: Has the dev team experimented with giving Kirby specials besides neutral B (if possible)? Frankly I'd want inhale over Toad from Peach, but I'd take the turnips in a heartbeat [same with Jiggs if Kirby could take rest or even pound, or Ness PK fire].

PPS: How does one Jump Strike as Link [and how does one do a shieldbash if that's still in]???

PPPS: I should probably start toning town the wording of my posts somewhat, but if I come across as overbearing or aggressive, it's always because I really love Minus and want the game to be awesome, and just have rather strong opinions about certain things. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Gold_TSG

I wouldn't really call changing anything "alienating" unless it completely changed how a character played. See: Smash 4 Bowser.
People don't need their hands held to be good with a character, so cancels out the ass, invulnerability and armor aren't necessary to make any character good. On top of that, you can't look at only one part of the match when talking about moves like thunderbrand. No one uses it on shield, and rarely uses it in neutral to begin with. That armor was used more to power through recoveries offstage and keep them off, because not everyone's recovery A) did damage or B) did enough damage to go through the armor.
If people are too used to a character having something overly broken or exploitable/abusable, they'll just have to adjust like the rest of us. I had to do plenty of that between Brawl, Minus and Smash 4, and I'm just fine. There's nothing stopping everyone else from experimenting with new tools or finding new ways to get past a character's weakness, rather than crying out "I HATE CHANGE!"

Valravn

Tonight I'm going to try and see if you can DACUS with gerudo dragon, though I fear it might be TAS-only. I guess I'll find out.

I honestly think the most broken character in Minus at the moment is Fox, but I don't think anyone has really begun to explore the unfathomable depths of that character. My roommate is beginning to, but I can beat him with more straightforward characters. It would take some incredible dedication to make him unbeatable, so I don't think any nerfs are warranted. If Minus had a huge competitive scene and all the best players became Fox explorers, maybe then.

I do think the Boost nerf was a bit much alongside all the other changes. The inability to do turnaround boosts forces Sonic into very linear approaches, and the character just feels clunky and unresponsive. My ability to microadjust with Boost being gone, I've had to play much more defensively and carefully. If the change was supposed to make Sonic more fun to fight, I fear it has done the opposite. The only way to win consistently is to play lame; it's not worth it to try being aggressive until someone gets impatient and leaves an opening. For me, the character is a lot less fun to play in this version.

Thor

I wouldn't really call changing anything "alienating" unless it completely changed how a character played. See: Smash 4 Bowser.
People don't need their hands held to be good with a character, so cancels out the ass, invulnerability and armor aren't necessary to make any character good. On top of that, you can't look at only one part of the match when talking about moves like thunderbrand. No one uses it on shield, and rarely uses it in neutral to begin with. That armor was used more to power through recoveries offstage and keep them off, because not everyone's recovery A) did damage or B) did enough damage to go through the armor.
If people are too used to a character having something overly broken or exploitable/abusable, they'll just have to adjust like the rest of us. I had to do plenty of that between Brawl, Minus and Smash 4, and I'm just fine. There's nothing stopping everyone else from experimenting with new tools or finding new ways to get past a character's weakness, rather than crying out "I HATE CHANGE!"

My experimentation was why the shield damage on spin attack and Sheik's vanish got nerfed in the first place... I definitely know how to experiment with things lol.

Falcon Kick is fundamentally an extremely risky move, and in Minus extremely risky moves without extreme reward are simply out of place [and while the reward can be quite high, if you SDI up during the kick then down hard and tech, you can force Falcon to tech chase instead of a guaranteed stomp, usmash, or scoop uair, meaning that with proper counterplay it's only rewarding you with a tech chase].

Apparently then I was the only one using Thunderbrand in neutral then, although I'm odd like that [it's why Sheik vanish was nerfed to have no I-frames on startup (though being vulernable on travel is a little silly)].

I was also never told the issue was powering through recoveries, but rather powering through charged smash attacks onstage was problematic [and it was super armor, nothing goes through it... but why are you charging smash attacks if you know Luigi has an armored move? You don't charge smash attacks vs a landing Bowser unless you would like a dair to the head...]. If that's why it was nerfed, I'll reconsider my thoughts on the armor [one suggestion I've heard is to make the grounded version have super armor late in the move... most people who complained said it was bad because you could move during Thunderbrand startup, but the grounded one can't... but yeah if the grounded one has no armor it's flatly outclassed by fsmash].

I'm definitely capable of adjusting [I could explain but that's boring to read in all likelyhood], but there are things that don't need to be changed because they're already balanced [Falcon Kick] and where people cry for nerfs because they either are bad at or aren't trying to find a way around it, it just makes the character worse when such a thing wasn't needed.

Tonight I'm going to try and see if you can DACUS with gerudo dragon, though I fear it might be TAS-only. I guess I'll find out.

I honestly think the most broken character in Minus at the moment is Fox, but I don't think anyone has really begun to explore the unfathomable depths of that character. My roommate is beginning to, but I can beat him with more straightforward characters. It would take some incredible dedication to make him unbeatable, so I don't think any nerfs are warranted. If Minus had a huge competitive scene and all the best players became Fox explorers, maybe then.

I do think the Boost nerf was a bit much alongside all the other changes. The inability to do turnaround boosts forces Sonic into very linear approaches, and the character just feels clunky and unresponsive. My ability to microadjust with Boost being gone, I've had to play much more defensively and carefully. If the change was supposed to make Sonic more fun to fight, I fear it has done the opposite. The only way to win consistently is to play lame; it's not worth it to try being aggressive until someone gets impatient and leaves an opening. For me, the character is a lot less fun to play in this version.

Sonic not being able to boost-dance instantly makes him a lot less obnoxious to fight.
If you're having trouble approaching, I recommend running, walking, or perhaps spin dash. Jumping is also an option for the adventurous.

Sonic still has plenty of approach options - you have normal movement just like everyone else [except MUCH faster... his walk is sick], as well as spin dash, and you can still boost in, it's just you can't boost back and forth forever.

Frankly, Sonic felt like an extremely annoying bait-and-punish character [bait you into messing up once, then grab/throw/dair/you die because lol dair is busted] prior, and by removing boost-dashing, he's instantly less obnoxious to fight.

Also, playing lame is usually synonymous with "Playing optimally except I don't like playing optimally for whatever reason" (see: Falcon Melee tech chasing, Fox laser camping]. The reason you enjoyed boost-dance Sonic more is probably because Boost made it pathetically easy to rip a hole in someone's defenses, and made people naturally have a lot more opening because they had no choice [they have to swing for the fences or else stand still, and standing still is really hard given all of Sonic's tools, including homing attack being safe on shield].

Also I'm convinced Boost Sonic was way more broken than Fox, simply because of how difficult he is to actually hit. Also given how MK's dair works, I think the most broken character right now is Meta Knight, because you can carry them offstage then just down air them until they die [it's pathetically easy to kill 50+% of the cast at extremely low percents]. Fox does seem really good, given that you can waveshine everyone [it seems], but there are some matchups that I can see being awkward [he can't shinespike Snake out of Cypher, so unless bair hits Snake out of Cypher he can't gimp Snake off the sides at all, and if uair doesn't work either then he legit has no edgeguarding options on Snake].

Gold_TSG

Thor, I'm not talking solely about you and what you can/can't do. I'm talking in a broad sense that stretches to other users of the mod. Let everyone else play around before anything happens, rather than charging in here and talking like you now best. It's fine to have an opinion on what should happen with the changes and chars in general, but you're wasting a lot of time typing up books of things that have either been explained, or you just don't like and want reverted. I personally don't like to stare at white text over black background for more than 15 minutes at a time trying to wade through your posts most of the time, so it'd be greatly appreciated if you could tone it down slightly.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Better to have more (good, well-written) feedback than not enough. You don't have to read it all at once.

Thor, I enjoy reading your posts, and I agree with you more often than not. Lately, you're the only one who makes the effort to post really lengthy, knowledgeable Minus discussion, and I think you're under-appreciated.

As long as discussion posts like Thor's are civil, constructive, well-informed, and well-formatted, I see no reason to ask for less of them.

I don't see anyone else stepping up to post such thorough feedback...

PPS: How does one Jump Strike as Link [and how does one do a shieldbash if that's still in]???
IIRC, Jump Strike is Dash Attack + B or Side Smash + B, Shield Bash is Shield + B + Forward, and Back Slice is Roll Forward + B.

Gold_TSG

You talk like I said I wanted him to keep it to one paragraph. Which is false. I said to tone it down a little. Example: instead of 8 paragraphs, condense it into 6 (without the overuse of inner thoughts like these [and further thoughts like these]). I have every right to request him to slightly shorten his posts to be more on point than to trail off mid-paragraph before returning to the discussion on hand. I happen to enjoy his feedback as much as the next guy, but I'm that guy that doesn't like to spend so much time reading irrelevant text over actual feedback.

Valravn

Alright, here's a wall of Sonic feedback.

WHILE-WRITING-EDIT: Sorry Gold, there's gonna be some rambling.

Sonic still has plenty of approach options - you have normal movement just like everyone else [except MUCH faster... his walk is sick], as well as spin dash, and you can still boost in, it's just you can't boost back and forth forever.
I think in general his movement is fine. It could always be faster, but this post will primarily be about Boost.

Frankly, Sonic felt like an extremely annoying bait-and-punish character [bait you into messing up once, then grab/throw/dair/you die because lol dair is busted] prior, and by removing boost-dashing, he's instantly less obnoxious to fight.
I'm with you on the first part. Sonic could/can punish mistakes faster and further away than any other character. That makes sense for a fast character. I disagree that he's less obnoxious with the new changes; I think his playstyle has to be far more obnoxious now to be effective. You have to wait longer to find your openings; you still have to wait for them! I think Sonic should go in a direction that encourages aggression and rushing in at all times, a character with relentless pressure that forces people to think fast to keep up. Don't mistake me for saying that he should have safe and easy approaches. What I would prefer is for his approaches to have a high degree of mixup, while retaining a level of commitment. Once you go in, you shouldn't be able to instantly bail, but adjusting how you go in is very important. Playing Sonic is often a game of circumnavigating hitboxes that are thrown out to stop you.

tnp3RH6.png

Here's one example of a basic technique with the old boost.

Option A is still possible; it's just a straight line Boost. Predictable, but fast.

Option B is no longer possible within reasonable timeframes.With option B, you continually approach, but by pivot-boost-pivot-boosting multiple times, you take 25-50% longer to actually arrive. If someone was hoping to forward smash you as you arrived, they'll perhaps swing too early and you'll get your hit in.

Option C is still possible, which is to stop Boosting entirely just out of range. It's tricky and takes timing, but will enable some followups. The 20 frame cooldown means you'll often be unable to boost-pause-boost to wait for a hitbox to finish and then go in. This isn't so bad, since many characters can't respond in that window, but without the ability to boost behind, you lose the option of back-throwing someone forwards by getting behind them. Sonic's grab is also slow enough that Fox (and some other characters) can cover themselves in a hitbox before you get in without boosting.

Also, playing lame is usually synonymous with "Playing optimally except I don't like playing optimally for whatever reason" (see: Falcon Melee tech chasing, Fox laser camping].
I think Boosting around and poking at anyone that tries to follow you does bear some resemblance to extreme laser camping. I don't mind playing that way against my roommate; we both like to win, and sometimes you have to run around occasionally throwing out nairs for four minutes to win the game. It's understandable. It annoys the hell out of other people though, far more than when I could risk approaching on stage at equal or deficit stocks. I like that Minus is heading in a balanced, competitive direction, but I also think there should be compromises made to ensure characters can be played in exciting and engaging ways.

The reason you enjoyed boost-dance Sonic more is probably because Boost made it pathetically easy to rip a hole in someone's defenses, and made people naturally have a lot more opening because they had no choice [they have to swing for the fences or else stand still, and standing still is really hard given all of Sonic's tools, including homing attack being safe on shield].
That's a bit of a leap. I don't think turnaround Boost was the end-all approach option before. It was a useful option, but if someone's randomly throwing out forward smashes and hoping you'll faceplant into them, you don't need it to beat them! Last version I struggled mostly against Fox, Falcon, Lucario, and Wario. Characters with high aerial mobility with fast enough movement to keep up with and KO Sonic if I let off the gas. (Quick options in neutral certainly didn't hurt, of course.)

There are undoubtedly people who still find Sonic to be overpowered or not-fun in 4.0 despite the nerfs. Dair is still kind of dumb, but there are lots of dumb moves in Minus, and it's honestly not hard to avoid putting yourself in situations where you can die at super low percents to it.

This wouldn't be much of a feedback post if I didn't offer some kind of solution, so I'll share some brainstorming. I'm of the opinion that Sonic needs to be fast (naturally), aggressive, and risky.

3.Q Sonic was fast, aggressive, and not very risky. He didn't have to commit to his approaches. On the other hand, he had enough approach options that there really wasn't any reason to play defensively.

I haven't played as much 4.0b Sonic, but from what I've experienced, he's fast, but should be played in a safe and defensive manner. Fly around and try to Dair people when you can.

4.0 Sonic needs two things; more ways to commit, and even more incentive to actually do so. One idea I had was to remove the Boost cooldown, but cause Sonic to drift afterwards in whatever direction he was moving. I don't know the fine details of Brawl's physics, but this is what I would like to try for Boost:

When you initiate a Boost, you maintain some momentum, until you drift to a halt. Any Boosts that go against that momentum are slowed by the original Boost direction's leftover momentum. I don't know how simple that is to implement, but in concept it's just adding velocity vectors. There would have to be some sort of frame window where boost -> reverse boost causes the second boost to have lower or no carried momentum. In contrast, boosting, then doing an aerial, then boosting the other way would produce two opposite velocities. Hopefully something like this would encourage committing to a direction while allowing for option variation.

I don't think homing attack needs to be safe on shield, though I'm actually not sure whether it is. It may depend on the approach angle.

There's more to come, but I need to fiddle around with the character a bit more.

TL;DR: Sonic's Boost cooldown should be removed, his physics should encourage him to commit, and I ramble when I ramble.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
The problem with allowing reversing boost direction is that there's very basically no counterplay when Sonic plays well. You either throw a move out and it misses and you get punished or you don't throw a move out and you get punished. It's so powerful that balancing Sonic with that capability requires warping his entire moveset around that one aspect, and given how frustrating boost is to play against the end result would be an undertuned fighter that was neither fun to play as our against.

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
Does anybody like the idea of having Sonic commit to Boost on the ground but still retain his 3.Q air Boosting abilities? Cus I totally do... maybe. And Sonic is supposed to be annoying to a certain degree. All speedsters are frustrating to deal with but there does need to be a counterplay to them. Like Bowser's Royal Rampage. The counterplay would be to get out of the way. Haven't had time to try 4.0b yet and probably won't for another month or so but I'm really really excited... maybe. Tenkaichi 3 is calling my name. Thanks for all the hard work on the mod.

Lucis Perficio

I used to believe that Minus being nerfed was going against its philosophy, but the sheer chaos of earlier Minus games made the game too unorganized for committed play.

I would personally like to see some official Brawl Minus tournaments in a few years or less, and I don't think that making it more super ridiculous would help those chances. My only wish is that they would tweak the physics just a bit to allow characters to fastfall earlier after their jump. That change alone might speed up combos and make it so that hitstun and gravity doesn't need to have such a drastic effect either.

Lucis Perficio

Actually, the counterplay is to punish the long endlag. The issue is it's hard to tell when that second is due to the fire GFX being there for the whole move.

Perhaps implement a flash similar to C. Falcon's when he has the instant Pawnch? The flash could indicate when the super armor has faded.

Thor

I have seen/heard of Brawl Minus tournaments going on at E2C events on the side [and they get decent turnout], but they use older builds of Minus and maybe mixtures of old Minus builds from what I've heard... apparently they feel current builds of Minus aren't broken enough/remove the stuff they really like [one complaint I saw reiterated was that Luigi Shoryuken is way too weak... and I say that I've heard this because I never was able to attend one of these events or get video footage indicating that they actually occurred].

I don't think broken is incompatible with tournament play [have you seen Fox's shine, usmash, or up+B in NTSC Melee? Falco's dair? PM 3.02 Mewtwo?], but things that force the opponent to swing for the fences [boost dancing, in some ways PM 3.02 Mewtwo] or else attempt to set up a projectile wall [that you can break in 1/3 of a second by pressing side+B] are just not very good game design... you can't really interact with Boost the way you can interact with Falcon Kick, Thunderhand, MK's tornado, Mario's fireballs or metal mode, Peach's floating aerials, etc., which is why it was toned down as it was.

One idea I will suggest if people really miss Boost that much [although I predict it would be removed eventually, but maybe not]... from when you Boost, you have a 60-frame boost cooldown timer [or something], but only in the opposite direction, so you could boost and stop, run back, then boost forward again... dunno if this is even feasible to code, but it would be less obnoxious than 3.Q boost while giving people a bit more of a mixup/dash dance that people on here seem to want from Boost. Also, if this was done, if it was possible to instantly run backwards out of Boost [i.e., treating the whole thing as an initial dash], that may be more fun to people who like Boost without making it as obnoxious to fight as it was. Not saying this will work/is feasible/is actually even a good idea, but it's one to consider.

Clearly Boost has more support than I initially realized, and while I think catering to that matters, there's also an aspect of playability and counterplay that seems notably missing from Boost 3.Q [and apparently offstage thunderbrand... still looking into how that was used since I didn't usually go for thunderbrand offstage, but if it was really that bad, ixnay to aerial super armor would be only fair]. If we can't find that, toning it down or removal is pretty much the only healthy option, because having to massively outplay your opponent to just get a single hit is usually a sign of a very bad MU.

ALSO, if anyone knows a dedicated, effective anti-boost strategy that is effective for more than a few characters, or various anti-Boost strategies that work for the majority of the cast, by all means share. I can't find any counterplay besides "Hope they mess up" [which isn't counterplay at all (this is the strategy of "retreating nairplane/Nairplane in place/advancing nairs" used with Sheik to a decent degree, but again, they have to mess up...)], but if someone has something that can actually effectively punish this or even just force a favorable or neutral 50-50 consistently, do tell.

People said:
Royal Rampage stuff

The key is to remember Bowser always takes 3 stomps, and to hit him for damage during the first 2 if he whiffs, but after he takes the third one to be ready to use a launcher/combo-starter. With a little practice and some quick counting in-game, it's actually fairly easy to punish [still a very good move though].

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Those people who have those tournaments need to share their opinions with us so they can be heard! We can't adjust builds to cater certain crowds based upon rumors, they need to let their voices be known! We always consider everything we read, even if we don't go through with it in the end.

Also I'm fairly certain setting the cooldown based on the boost direction they inputted in is not possible.

Valravn

I would personally like to see some official Brawl Minus tournaments in a few years or less, and I don't think that making it more super ridiculous would help those chances.
I'm hoping to start up the weekly Minus Round Robin again when Smash in the Woods returns next week. A lot of people like the game because it's a little silly but reminds them of Smash 64. The combos can get insane, but since everyone can zero-to-death anyone, everything seems fair. We usually had ~10 people sign up for the side event, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get up to 20 by the end of this year. A lot of people had played older builds of Minus, but those people were pleasantly surprised with how balanced the game had become. Our crowd has a lot of PM players, and a few had the perspective that Minus is essentially what PM would have been if it were 'add more Brawl to Brawl' rather than 'add more Melee to Brawl' initially. There were people (myself included, sometimes) who missed the ability to waveland or wavedash with their characters from other games, but nobody missed L-canceling. Minus wouldn't need it, anyway. One thing I heard on several occasions was that there should be one or two other characters with melee airdodge, so that they wouldn't have to play Fox to use their Melee techs. Minus is currently pretty limited to being a side event at most tournaments, and it might encourage people to give some characters a whirl. That said, most players didn't have any problem picking up a random character and going ham with it.

I'm hoping to coordinate a side event at NW Battlegrounds one of these days, but that will have to wait until my schedule allows me to actually show up to run it. We're going to be running a Minus event at the opening Smash in the Woods tournament on the 22nd, or on the 29th failing that, so I'll be able to get some opinions on 4.0b then.

The problem with allowing reversing boost direction is that there's very basically no counterplay when Sonic plays well. You either throw a move out and it misses and you get punished or you don't throw a move out and you get punished. It's so powerful that balancing Sonic with that capability requires warping his entire moveset around that one aspect, and given how frustrating boost is to play against the end result would be an undertuned fighter that was neither fun to play as our against.
That's why I suggested adding a sort of inertia to Boost. Boost-> Boost shouldn't allow Sonic to zip back the other way as quickly, and perhaps it should only slow him down. I'll ask around and see what some local players specifically use to deal with Boost. I think there's a compromise to be found somewhere.

Having the cooldown only apply to turnaround-boost in an interesting idea. I can't imagine how to implement it, though maybe there's a way to jank it in. If it's possible to remove the ability to b-reverse it, make one of his taunts turn him around over the course of ~15 frames in the air. That's a manual cooldown, sorta.

EDIT: Forgot to clarify the Minus event we're starting back up is at our local weekly, not NWB! (Yet!)

Thor

One thing I heard on several occasions was that there should be one or two other characters with melee airdodge, so that they wouldn't have to play Fox to use their Melee techs.

Is there any way to make this an alternate game mode? PM has turbo and regen, is it possible we could replace a game mode with "MELEE!!!" where everyone has a Melee airdodge option? Would be an interesting feature in 4.0.