Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Let's discuss the next entry in the Smash Bros. Franchise, and Sakurai's daily updates!

Lucario, master of Aura, was just revealed to return! How do you guys feel about this? Do you think this affects Mewtwo's chances at all, or could we have both of them?

Which newcomer are you looking forward to playing the most? Do you have any hopes of anyone specific getting in? Will you be getting both versions?

Discuss!

we can discuss the Palutena leak too and how real it may or may not be, i-if you want.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
I was pleasantly surprised to see Lucario again... though nobody will truly be happy until Mewtwo comes back.
His max Aura Sphere looks bigger than vBrawl's. :lol:

Hoping we get at least one more left-field or non-represented character... I love surprises.

Glyph

This Lucario's aura looks SO good though. That most recent photo was too too cool.

Am I the only one really underwhelmed by the roster thus far though? Mega Man is the only one that really blew me away as a really neat addition to the cast, the rest I can see why they're in but just don't really have that 'wow' factor. I'm still holding my breath for a Golden Sun rep, and really seeing Mewtwo come back would suffice to get my hype levels back up to maximum.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I'm surprised he wasn't confirmed before. I'm excited about Greninja.

Thor

Some predict not all original/Melee vets will make it...

I really just want back at this point Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Falco, and Meta Knight. I could learn to live without ICs (rather easily, given I'm not a fan of their CGs...), Ganondorf (harder), and Game and Watch (also harder), I just want those 5 back, which would make 35 characters...

Somehow I'm not sure I'll get my wish, but if we got those and no newcomers, we'd have 38, which would be consistent with Sakurai's decision to cut a few and add a few (since he counted PT as 3 separate characters, he therefore made 39 in vBrawl as far as I can count...), and I'd get my 5 that I wanted back.

And there would also be no Ridley or K Rool. Which would be amazing.

I'd feel for the Wolf mains out there, as well as those who played ROB and Lucas. But somehow I fear MK is on the chopping block, given his general unpopularity, and Falco might be on his way out given his previous dominance in the past two titles... and I can't say that Jiggs or even Ness are guaranteed back in (Sakurai's just foolish if he cuts one of the most popular and manliest characters in the history of Smash though).

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I kind of liked the joy of playing through Brawl, not having seen the commercials, not having seen the new character announcements, and not having seen character or stage lists. I found myself happy and surprised by the characters and stages I unlocked as I progressed through the game or through brawling. I already knew I was going to play the next Smash Brothers, after I grew into high school with Melee. Smash Bros didn't have to convince me to buy/obtain their next installment by dangling new characters in my face. I feel the same way about Smash4.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
People need to realize secret characters are a thing and that's why not all characters are not announced right away. People's impatience makes them make terrible assumptions

Like does anyone really think they're removing Wario, Falcon, ROB, ICs, MK, and Ness?
ICs maybe. Im not sure of the 3Ds' limitations. But I recall sakurai saying something about some things having to be cut due to hardware limits. ICs would mean potentially eight characters onscreen running at 60fps. Then again, olimar has 3 pikmin following him.

Also sakurai revealed secret characters for vBrawl. He just just put spoiler warnings around them.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
another thing i noticed is that since jiggly and mewtwo aren't confirmed, i feel that maybe another pokemon release thing will come up, (hopefully) i think with also one more (fully evolved) starter pokemon, sceptile...
hear me out: so far they have a fully evolved fire starter, and a fully evolved water starter
they are one water, and one water, but so far... no grass? also, the un-evolved starter pokeballs so far are chespin (so chesnaut couldn't be a playable) and fennikin... also, there is snivy (so serperior couldn't be a playable either) and oshawott... ...now, aside from the pokeballs, it also wouldn't make sense to include two pokemon starters from one gen, then one from another, so venasaur is out, and chesnaut is out again... this leaves three untouched grass starters: meganium, sceptile, and torterra... since two of these are four legged and sakurai seemed to want to stop using four legged's (look at the new yoshi.. also, it wouldn't fit well), sceptile seems to make the most sense... AND ONE MORE NOTE!! which pokemon generation game was getting released this winter again?.. yep, third gen: sceptile's generation... my guess is he's going to be announced later, along with maybe (hopefully) jigglypuff and/or mewtwo... the fact that nintendo even decided to remake ruby and sapphire is also a nod to their appreciation for their fan's desires, so that hopefully is further assurance that mewtwo can still make it in :)

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I'd riot if dorf was cut.

Thor

Bashdemears said:
Its about time dorf gets his own moveset

It's really about time Captain Falcon gets in the game, and then Dorf being revealed with a bit of decloning going on - the decloning in Brawl, with the exception of Flame Choke, was mostly negative and didn't change him all that much in my opinion (some of his moves were visually different, but I wouldn't mind a few more changes). I don't need a full moveset difference necessarily, but I'd like one that means losing to Ganondorf isn't seen as humiliating unless you're also playing with a bottom/Luigi tier character.

People need to realize secret characters are a thing and that's why not all characters are not announced right away. People's impatience makes them make terrible assumptions
Like does anyone really think they're removing Wario, Falcon, ROB, ICs, MK, and Ness?

I had misheard somewhere that Smash 4 would have fewer characters than Brawl, not fewer newcomers, so I was thinking a 35 man roster tops, and where we're at now left me REAL worried... but if it's just fewer newcomers (which I've been told is what it is), I can still hopefully get back Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, Falco, and MK - everyone else is just icing on the cake, but I really want those 5 back.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i heard (and faithfully signed) this petition somewhere to keep ganondorf in the game, but with a more sword based moveset, and give most of ganon's current moves to black shadow, who'd make a lot more sense to have the moveset and essentially be the alt clone of falcon, like ganon currently is... however, i also had a few more ideas about this black shadow w/ ganon's moves and ganon w/ sword moves, so i put the both of those in my "ideas for new characters thread" (in the OP)

anyway, i really doubt ganon is getting cut, and although black shadow may be alil pushing it, i still think falcon is gonna stay too ^^

Smilindeth

Was moved back to October for 3DS release, so more time to work on the unannounced characters.

Tried out the 3DS and Wii U version at the Best Buy event today, was fun. Both felt good to play, items were actually fun to use, but the controls were a bit weird to get used to since the Pro controllers setup had the c-stick swapped with the main buttons. Also the 3DS version has the L button default to grab/throw, and R is the shield button.

Gold_TSG

I'm hoping there are still button configuration settings for those who use L to shield.

NEWB

I didn't get to play the 3ds version at my best buy event. Was still really fun though! I had no issues with controls because I use the classic controller pro, the one that's a classic remote that looks like a gc controller. What I had to do to make it feel right, was change the button configuration. It turns out the controllers I picked on my remote were very similar to how they worked on the wii u pro controller, so I had no issues.

Game feels a little more on the brawl side, but there appears to be less bugs. No dash dancing. Also, link can't quick fire arrows by shooting one as he lands.

Gold_TSG

Hey, if it's still fun, I don't care.

NEWB

It is! Attacks feel so much more satisfying to land and the items are much more hectic.

As for competitive play, it's still too early to say obviously.