New Characters in Minus

What character would you like to see added to Minus?

• K. Rool

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Micaiah

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Black Shadow

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Geno

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Bomberman

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Krystal

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Ghirahim

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Custom Robo

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Midna/Wolf Link

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters

gumbie

I'm pessimistic about him making it in, although he's the only character I really wanted. Mega Man was a nice surprise though.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
I had thought up a moveset for papermario before, if anyone's interested. although it would be using mario as a base, i think a lot of the A attacks from iceclimbers could fit for him... the side smash especially, but the up B could be a spring jump, the down air could be a two hit ground pound (so on press he kicks down, lightly, just to hit lag and link for the ground pound), then he front flips and tucks, and quickly plummets down, butt first, and bounces off of whoever he lands on... either that, or the down air is already a butt bomb, no hitbox on startup, and instead give him a version of the goomba stomp that'll make the foe just flinch long enough to bounce and do a ground pound. (i'm looking at thousand year door for references.) also, their should be just one partner attack, and only three possible partners, each with alts: koopa, goomba, bob-bomb... the two skins for koopa would be either kooper, from n64, or koops from gamecube. for goomba, there should be goombario and goombella, and for bob-bomb there should be bombette and bobbery... those are the only three partners who use the same moves in each game... koops/kooper would be like a boomerang, but only along the floor, and should work so holding down the input button (side b) would make him spin in place where his range from mario ends... maybe even a difference in range between tilting forward b and smashing forward b... then letting go of b would make him slingshot back to the spot he was fired from, regardless where paper mario's moved to... then goombella/goombario would be a bit like pikmin's side b, where they'd latch on to the enemy and beat on them... however the animation would look like they were headbonking, and they'd normally only hit twice, once from landing on them, then one bonk and they'd let go... however, you should be able to extend the amount of hits possible if you time side b's correctly to just before they land on them again, also to increase damage a lil... normally, each successful hit should do a little bit of hitstun, long enough to not let them shield between bounces, but there should be a limit to the max number of hits possible on one grab... then finally for bobbery/bombette, the side b should be a weak lob throw, and from the point they land, they start to walk, just like the bobomb's on the stage, only bigger, weaker (maybe the strength of link/snake's bombs), and a bit slower walking... they would be able to be cooked if you held b down, and you wouldn't be able to be hurt by your own explosions, but you could also detonate them with another side b... now i'd put his counter move on either his neutral b or down b and make it able to reflect projectiles if timed perfectly to right when mario would be hit by it, and also counter melee attacks the same way, then make the tap down b recall the partner, and the hold down b switch to the next one... i'd also make his side b in the air be the paper airplane fold, and make him able to glide with it... i mean using partners in the air was never a mario thing anyway, so why not put in the origami from thousand year door? (of course, then it would be fun to also change into the boat when in water)... oh, and the down smash may be the only smash i wouldn't keep like ice climbers... i'd change it to his spin attack from thousand year door... so basically goomba=pikmin, bob-bomb=waddledee/bob-bomb item, and koopa=greenshell+boomerang..?

BCU999

Are you guys trying to avoid characters in project M too, or can I recommend
Skull Kid
Other characters I'd love to see represented would be Ashley who's an assist trophy and Bowser jr. who probably wont get in as there probably won't be a sixth Mario character

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i think if we're able to make this over olimar, what we could do is remove the articles for his pikmin and replace them with a couple of reskins of the waddledee:, they could be reskinned and maybe bone edited to look like the paper mario partners. since there are three possible, maybe we could make it work so there's a 100% chance to draw one specific partner out if you're alone (maybe goombella/goombario), then make it so there's a 100% chance to get koops/kooper when you use the button that's supposed to switch, if you have goombella/goombario out, then likewise to get bobbery/bombette if you have koops/kooper out... something like that?... if we found a way to make the partners work independently of one another, that's one way....

another way could be to use the models fr pikmin... what we'd do is make koops use purple pikmin as a base (since he has a different boneset), then make bobbery use yellow pikmin as a base, since he has a different boneset (because of the ears), then we'd use any pikmin for the last partner, goombella, and with the different bonesets they have, they must have different movesets as well, so we just make it so they have a different trajectory when thrown by using all of the animation places they normally have for all of olimar's a attacks that use them. like for koops/kooper, make it so he has his jump animations, his "paper fold" animations to replace the pikmin "plucking" and "regrouping" animations, replace pikmin's being thrown animation with koops's/kooper's shell toss animation, in which his original place is constantly remembered, no matter where he is launched from. then replace pikmin's "beat up animation" with his "shell spinning in place" animation and make his transition into that animation require papermario holding B, instead of grabbing a foe with it, and etc. for his moves, and fr pretty much everyone :p ...idk if it's impossible, but i don't think it sounds too implausible yet...

NEWB

That sounds like it could work. It would be cool if his partners could be used, but he may have enough moves from his game anyway. I would try reaching out to some badges like fire drive.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
[the badges idea] sounds like it could work if we don't have enough space for or just can't get the partners to work... but i'd definitely like to see a moveset that incorporates the partners into his utility...

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
lol, next up: waluigi and greyfox (/grayfox?) :D they all have assist trophy models, and at least one "companion" character in the game

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom

NEWB

Um.... How many new guys are we getting???

Also, you guys are missing zamus, sheik, and I guess poketrainer is all on one slot now?

Is it gonna be minus colored? I don't like brawls bright colored background anymore.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Um.... How many new guys are we getting???

Also, you guys are missing zamus, sheik, and I guess poketrainer is all on one slot now?

Is it gonna be minus colored? I don't like brawls bright colored background anymore.

it was a joke, that is nothing like what our upcoming CSS looks like

NEWB

Needs more sarcasm :)

It's hard to tell jokes over the internet. Believe me, no one thought it was funny when people said a new release of minus was out, but it was a pm download. Just saying to whoever did that.

Bunny5390

My votes went to Michaiah, Geno, and Paper Mario, but if write-ins are allowed, all three votes go to (The pokemon) Meloetta :D . I think she could be a really awesome character, especially if you let her change between formes. Aria forme could be a more range based character, while Pirouette forme could be an extremely fast, very powerful but easy to K.O. type, only unlike Zelda and Shiek, she would be designed such that you would want to use both formes in the same match. Like one forme covering for the other's weaknesses.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
I think the way Pokemon characters in brawl work aren't about them being legendary, but there are three real reasons for them to be candidates: they're in the anime (which is why they chose Pika and jiggly in ssb64), they're in a movie and maybe event (which is why they chose mewtwo in melee and lucario in brawl (and maybe pichu in melee)), or they are standard iconic Pokemon to the games (which is why they chose the starters, charizard, squirtle and ivy.. (also mewtwo would fall here, and technically the starters fall under the anime section too)... ...anyway, I stopped following the.. everything :p so I can't think of anything you'd give Meloetta moves wise.... and I'd still really like to see under appreciated popular characters like paper Mario and custom robo..

nothinglord

Are there any plans to add Mewtwo or Roy? I know they're already in PM but the characters already existed in melee. If not, is it possible for me to add the PM versions to Minus myself?

BCU999 said:
Are you guys trying to avoid characters in project M too, or can I recommend
Skull Kid
Other characters I'd love to see represented would be Ashley who's an assist trophy and Bowser jr. who probably wont get in as there probably won't be a sixth Mario character

Skull Kid would be so awesome I can even describe it with words... not counting those.

Also someone on another thread said that you guys are thinking of adding Pichu. I don't know what to think about that.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
yeah, if pichus coming to minus, roy and mewtwo should too. i get that roy was a clone of marth, but pichu was too, and even more so... and mewtwo was similar to samus a little, but he was definitely unique too, so he seems to make the most sense... ... personally, i'd prefer not to include literal clones like doctor mario, especially since his gems didn't even involve any kind of character movement that could inspire a fighting character, but paper mario was a few games, and two of them used the same style of CHARACTER CONTROLLING gameplay (which dr mario didn't have) and have plenty of awesome moves that can inspire an awesome moveset... i can't think of one for pichu, since logically pikachu is supposed to be an evolution and be better than him in every aspect... i mean we wouldn't make a moveset for riolu based on lucario :p ...but i'll hold my comments for now and save it for when this comes out, since, chances are, the dev team has big plans, and we just have to trust them to paint a clear picture when this is all done :) ...on that note i'm really excited to see what the new update brings to minus, and i hope it can open doors to cool new ideas for characters in the next installments xD <3

Glyph

For the time being, we're JUST focusing on Pichu. We're going focus on characters that are already established in the smash franchise. IF we do more characters beyond him, and only after them will we even consider breaking new ground.

Kazyx

Honestly, all of those characters there could make for astounding characters. But, while 2 of my 3 votes don't follow this train of thought, hilariously enough, I feel that characters who were Assist Trophies should have a bit more focus on them before anyone else, aside from any possible returning Melee characters.

These would include, sadly, just Custom Robo on the list given.

Other Assist Trophies I feel could actually HAVE potential (based on in-game tactics and general franchise knowledge), and are as we know not in Smash U/3DSas playables are, but not limited to:
Hammer Bro
Waluigi
Grey Fox
Isaac
Kat & Ana
Knuckle Joe
Lyn
Samurai Goroh
Saki
Ray Mk III (this is the Custom Robo for the record but felt I should list it anyway)

Boss-wise, I feel Ridley, Petey Piranha and Galleom could have potential, if their models were scaled down to a more playable size.

Other listings (which include SSE and Trophies) are, but not limited to:
Primid
Alloys
Paper ___ (can be any of the Paper Mario franchise characters really. Each could be unique in their own way for sure)
Koopas (both Para and Troopas)
Shy Guy
Toad/Toadette/Toadsworth
Dry Bones
Bowser Jr. (and/or Shadow Mario)
Birdo
Kongs (Diddy, Candy Funky, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky, Cranky)
Kritter
King K. Rool
Expresso (for giggles)
Xananab (As a joke character??)
Wolf Link + Midna
Midna
Zant
Darknut
Shadow Beast
Zora
Goron
WW Ganondorf
Any Samus suit (but as alternate costumes because that makes sense)
Dark Samus (I can see potential here, as much as I'm not a fan of the idea)
The Hunters from Prime Hunters
Space Pirate
Kirby's Copy abilities (because we know these would actually be cool)
Bandana Dee
Bonkers
Peppy Hare
Krystal
ROB 64
Leon
Too many Pokemon exist here and I'd be too biased in my opinion on them so I'll leave this one up for speculation
The Skull
Black Shadow
Black Knight
Sothe
Palutena (unless she's in 4)
Tom Nook (Though finding some way where he wouldn't play similarly to the Villager in 4)
KK Slider
Redd
Shadow
Tails
Amy Rose
Blaze
Jet

Keep in mind, I've picked characters who look like they have potential, have potential based on their games, some are based not on popularity of the character but what they could bring to the table, and some are based simply on wtf factor. All in all, these characters COULD have some sort of style that would fit in with the game, but just haven't either been given the chance, or no one may have thought of.

Once again, these are all my opinion on who could stand a chance, based simply on models we can grab in Brawl itself. Outside models, there are many more but could make this post too big and more TL;DR than I'd like it to be. Once again, there can be others, and I may have just forgotten/missed them through my search.