Jigglypuff! Techniques etc.

Ferrous Faucet

I've been trying to learn to use Jigglypuff, but I need some help on techniques.

How many jumps does Jigglypuff have? When are jumps replenished? I'm guessing they are all replenished when Jigglypuff touches the ground or grabs a ledge. Is there any other way to maximize my air time? I also know about Rising Pound, but if I'm doing it correctly then it only gives a tiny bit of vertical height.

How do I effectively use Pound? I know it has a different hitbox at the end that sends foes far towards (and past) Jigglypuff, but any interesting setups?

How does Rollout work, and how can I use it effectively? I know I have to charge it, but after releasing, is there anything I can do besides just press left and right to change direction? What other moves can Rollout be cancelled into? If I accidentally use a minimally charged Rollout, is there anything I can do to try to protect myself while Jigglypuff rolls helplessly?

How does the gravity taunt work? I have seen people trying to use it on the Youtube replay channel but it looks like it rarely works, so how can I maximize effectiveness?

Is Jigglypuff's down aerial useless, or am I doing something wrong? It seems to make Jigglypuff move downwards every time, which is not a fastfall but just part of the move. The hitbox seems to be small and with low priority. Very often, my opponent hits right through it like the attack isn't even there. Even if I do manage to hit someone with it, because it makes Jigglypuff move downwards, Jigglypuff passes through the opponent and ends up underneath, which puts me in a position vulnerable to meteor attacks and such. Maybe I'm supposed to use it to drill into my opponent and then cancel into Rest, but that can't be the only purpose for it, right? Does Jigglypuff have any effective moves to defend itself from being attacked from below?

Any other Jigglypuff tips you guys have to help me be a better fighter?

NEWB

Jigs gets 8 jumps I believe. She used to have ten. They replenish the same as everyone else as well as when she does a footstool.

Not much for me to say about pound. Just know that the timing is different on the ground because she travels less distance.

Rollout can be charged on air or on ground. It cannot cancel on the ground, but cancels into jumps when in the air after it's released. Once it hits, it cancels into everything really and true combos with rest. As far as I know, you are helpless if you release it early.

Gravity hits right when she finishes spinning. Not as useful on the ground since they can roll away, but better as an edge gaurd move. It also cancels into sing, so I guess not that bad on the ground.

I hate jigs dair really. This move doesn't hit below her very well, but it hits in diagonally down infront of her. It is used to chase foes, but I don't know WHY or WHEN that should or can be done. When using dair, make sure they are diag down infront of her if you try to hit someone. I think this move needs to be reverted to 2.6 personally. It helped her ground game quite a bit.

Other techniques? Learn to time and chain together uairs. Even though they do chain at low percents, even using it on foes with high percents once is enough to kill most people. Dtilt and ftilt chain together with themselves and each other really well. Dtilt is a strong semispike that'll hit foes way offstage. Very good when followed up with nairs.

Use Nair not really at the start but near the end of a hitbox, then combo with aerials, usually initial hitbox Nair or Uair.

If we fought, I could demonstrate this for you. Don't be jigs though against jigs. That matchup is ugh.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
jiggs's side smash is definitely AMAZINGLY useful, and her down smash has a bit of a vacuum effect

her rollout can actually cancel into a shield dodge on the ground, or i THINK just a duck, i don't remember, but i remember at one point being able to rollout in and use sing almost immediately... (also, sing can be used to break mines, btw, hits grounded stuff)

and as far as her down air goes, yeah, it really is meant to drill into opponents, and i guess neutral a or down b are the best cancels from it

also, her side b's little "shine" effect at the end is her deadly thunder punch... this move has crazy knockback, and needs to be aimed as if you were trying to just hit them when she starts to reel the punch back...

using sing in the air helps cover a bit more ground just before you hit someone, and you can have a bit of drag with jumps and the air-rollout to effectively cover a long path along the ground..

last but DEFINITELY not least... self destruct... never underestimate her self destruct... her shield breaking now causes an EXPLOSION... you still die, just like in vbrawl when jiggly's shield broke, but now, your shield break can also INSTA-KILL ANYONE caught at point blank range... and seeing as you can drain your shield just by holding it down, this becomes very easy to set up, and at low shield percentages, it practically can be used as an ultimate counter when catching direct attacks... be very careful though! if they aren't close enough, which is almost point blank range --- like the range of vbrawl jiggly's sing --- you will still die, and the effect of the explosion will not reach the opponent... ((even though it's supposed to have 100 accuracy -_-))

Ferrous Faucet

Thanks guys that is very helpful.

I had some good results using Jigglypuff's uair in vBrawl but I not in Minus. I guess I just need more practice. And I personally find her down smash to have too little range to be useful in most situations, but I didn't know it has a vacuum effect so I'll see what I can do with it.

I'll have to experiment with Rollout to see what it can be cancelled into. Cancelling into Rest as it hits is the only thing I knew to do.

I played a match against a friend and used Jigglypuff's self destruct move. Samus was hit and knocked back only a little bit. Maybe she wasn't close enough, or maybe she wasn't hurt enough. Still, it was disappointing.

Here's a trick I learned: Jigglypuff falls straight down while singing, but can still grab the ledge. Line yourself up with the ledge and sing, Jigglypuff will fall down and grab the ledge but if your opponent is close enough they'll still fall asleep. Then you can hop up from the ledge and do as you please.

Apparently Jigglypuff can't grab the ledge while resting though.

Smilindeth

The rollout->rest combo, be careful about using it. If the enemy is near a ledge and correctly shields, good chance of you resting off the cliff after they get away just fine.
Commonly seen here is rest -> reducing shield -> another rest -> self destruct. Try to get the enemy's damage up some first though so it takes longer for them to get out.
Her down-tilt combos can be spammed pretty easily.
The gravity taunt is great against enemies who have to use horizontal recovery to get back (IE: Ganon side-B'ing back) or to bring someone down who is sitting in the air for an hour to stall (IE: Peach floating). As a ledge guard, down-taunt works really well, really fast way to get a burst out of wind out and deny the ledge.
Wall of Puff is great, but I don't remember if it was forward air or back that chained really well to kill someone off with no chance of fighting back after it starts.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
One more trick with the final smash I've been using since vbrawl is to use it in the center, but UNDERthe stage.. just drop from the ledge, side b towards the center, and just one midair jump should place you at the lower ceiling of final d... this method helps completely cover ledges, and forces opponents to use their recoveries if they don't have multiple jumps, and faking by not using the final smash immediately can make the puffs/floaters waste a few jumps... also, if used right under a ledge after knocking someone in that direction, it's a near guaranteed kill :D ...so simple, and you probably do it already, but I'll post it just in case, and maybe someone new to jiggly can pick it up

Ferrous Faucet

Actually that's the first I've heard of that Final Smash trick. I haven't used Final Smashes in a long time but if I do then I'll remember that. I always considered Jiggly's to be one of the worst Final Smashes in the game, but covering both ledges sounds useful.
Smilindeth said:
Commonly seen here is rest -> reducing shield -> another rest -> self destruct. Try to get the enemy's damage up some first though so it takes longer for them to get out.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to kill with the first rest, so Jigglypuff is up one stock, and then self destruct to take another stock? Or is this some kind of combo I don't understand?

Smilindeth

Sorry, meant sing, not rest. Cheap, spammy, and not too hard to fight, but seen plenty of people die to it.

NEWB

That doesn't sound very hard to avoid. Can sing actually chain together? I'd think that you would have time to jump.

Ferrous Faucet

The best times to sing is when you know someone is about to land from using their midair jump or recovery, or when someone is climbing up a ledge. That way you know they'll be touching the ground.

I need to learn to use Jigglypuff's aerial attacks while rising instead of while descending. With Peach, she has so little landing lag that it's okay to use an aerial attack right before she touches the ground. With Jigglypuff, if I use an aerial and then immediately touch the ground, then it usually means I'll get hit if the opponent shields.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
I find that if your opponent misses their tech after a dash attack, then you can do it again. It probably won't work against a wary opponent, but if the opportunity arises, then try doubling up on dash attacks. At specific percentages this can also work with Fsmash (maybe).

Ferrous Faucet said:
I played a match against a friend and used Jigglypuff's self destruct move. Samus was hit and knocked back only a little bit. Maybe she wasn't close enough, or maybe she wasn't hurt enough. Still, it was disappointing.

You have to be a little closer. It can be easy to miss and have a useless SD.
One thing you have to be wary of is Falcon Punch. Although you probably won't see it very often in a "serious" match, it has invincibility on-hit, and will totally ignore Jiggly's Self-Destruct.

Ferrous Faucet said:
Is Jigglypuff's down aerial useless, or am I doing something wrong?

To be honest I've never found Dair very useful at all in and of itself. However, it's cancelable into any aerial attack, including itself. Experiment with it a bit!

NEWB said:
Jigs gets 8 jumps I believe. She used to have ten.

She has exactly 10 midair jumps! They act like normal jumps, there's no special trick to "replenish" them. I think.

Ferrous Faucet said:
How does Rollout work, and how can I use it effectively?

Ah, the mystery of Rollout. Listen up! There's two ways to cancel it.

1. On-hit
Just hit something with at least a semi-charged Rollout, and you can do whatever on contact. Pretty easy.

2. During the "turnaround"
When you're rolling, you can cancel Rollout while you're "turning around" (pressing the stick in the opposite direction you're traveling). This works at ANY charge level, whether you're on the ground or in the air. Like the on-hit cancel, you can do pretty much anything... even another Rollout. Try canceling a charged Rollout into Dsmash, or maybe Sing. Again, experiment! :cool:

NEWB

I thought it was changed to 8, but guess not.

It says at smashmods that she gets her jumps back with footstool.