Buffs (Re-Do)

Lightning

Ikesexual
Lets try this again. Only this time, you have to follow these rules.

Rules:
1. You CANNOT post ANYTHING offensive to one another.
2. You CANNOT discuss anything that already has a topic. (e.g. Peach's Heart Power System)
3. You CAN suggest new ideas and disagree with other ideas posted.
4. You CAN continue disscussions from the previous topic, but
5. You CANNOT bring the argument from the old topic here.

I'm not here to babysit. If you're not going to follow these rules, dont bother posting.

To start, I think Toon Link's grab should be sped up. I'm sure I mentioned it else where, but I'll say it here again.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I'm iffy on speeding it up, since it has the lingering grab box. It would make that a moot point.

i hope samus returns with a grab at least as fast as link's. it would just make sense. ancient iron clawshot technology vs age-of-warp-speed grapple...

toon link's could be a tiny bit faster.. or the grab box out a little bit longer.. but it would be fine as is, especially if he's getting some other useful buffs.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Lightning said:

Rules:
2. You CANNOT discuss anything that already has a topic. (e.g. Peach's Heart Power System)
4. You CAN continue discussions from the previous topic, but

I'm not here to babysit. If you're not going to follow these rules, dont bother posting.
You don't have to tell me that. I wasn't the one who started the flaming in the other topic...

13131 said:
i hope samus returns with a grab at least as fast as link's. it would just make sense. ancient iron clawshot technology vs age-of-warp-speed grapple...
Agreed. Samus needs a lot of buffs, and some moves reworked entirely.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I think the following is relevant here. The less-relevant parts are hidden inside spoiler tags.

Bent 00 said:
Sammi-husky said:
Just for the record Newb, It's literally 2 lines of code in his file.
That's all? Would you please teach me how to edit it myself, or link me to a good tutorial? I could test my suggestions before I post them then...

Sammi-husky said:
It's not that we don't want to code it, and we aren't being stingy.
So you're not against idea of buffing Falcon's taunts a little, but you don't want to give even small buffs to characters who don't really need them. Is that right?
Sammi-husky said:
This update is an update thats polishing and making everything look more professional, removing unnecessary things that didn't need to be there to make the game less 'Brawl Vault like'.
The only thing I really wanted to see removed from MAX 1.01 was Mario's Metal Cap taunt. Everything else felt good and Minus-y to me... I'm sad to hear the YOSHIFOOT is getting the boot (heh), and DK's "shaking off damage" taunt made sense to me because he's such a big target / damage sponge.

I'm worried that the currently low-tier characters are bringing down the higher-tier characters by keeping them from being reaching their maximum Minus potential. Characters like R.O.B. and Lucario aren't hurt as much as "B" Tier characters like Falcon, who are prevented from rising to "A" Tier just because they're "good enough".

I think features should only be removed if they're harming the balance, gameplay, or overall fun of Minus. If they just don't make sense, consider how fun they are to use, and how much the players like them before you remove them. Those latter two things are more important than just "making sense" -- leave that to vanilla Brawl and Project M.

Sammi-husky said:
Adding something like a second useful taunt to him is rather unnecessary.
Did you see my two newest suggestions in the Falcon Side Taunt thread? I think those two changes would be quite balanced.

Also, it may be unnecessary, but it would be cool, it would fit the theme of Minus well, and at least 5 other characters each have two taunts that are useful:

Jigglypuff (Gravity and Deflate*)
Link (Mortal Draw and possibly upcoming Fairy taunt replacement)
Lucario (ULTRATAUNT and Power-up taunt)
Luigi (Double Fireball and Luigi Kick)
Mario (Metal Cap and Giant Mario*)
Toon Link (Wind Waker and Sword Flurry*)

* Very situational, but even "rarely useful" is still useful.
Sammi-husky said:
If it had NO effect on it, and could cancel into itself then it would be at least CONSIDERED but thats not how the thread went about it. He doesn't need a buff, if he wants a better taunt easter egg then MAYBE we can consider making it cancel into itself like sonic.
Being able to cancel Falcon's Side Taunt into anything, or just a grab, jab, shield, etc. would be better than leaving it as-is.

Only being able to cancel it into itself would not help at all... Besides, Sonic can cancel his taunts into anything, not just the taunts themselves, IIRC.

Sammi-husky said:
BUT that's really sonics thing, and i'd rather not do that personally.
Kirby can cancel his taunts too.

Sammi-husky said:
Anywho, here's a quote from the other thread where i explained why he didn't need a buff and responded to Bent 00 saying he "missed Thunda's rules on taunts":

Sammi-husky said:
The problem with this thinking bent, is that falcon already has a super taunt. i.e a taunt that is useful. Not all characters are destined to get one. Furthermore, falcon would then have 2 taunts that were useful. Another thing, the rules about taunts haven't changed. Generally, taunts are only made to be useful if there is a large risk involved, or if it isn't practical enough in battle to get a large reward from it. I.E falcons side taunt, its a cool nifty easter egg, but it's not practical enough to be used in battle. and thats the way it was designed. Furthermore, we don't want to make Falcon less interesting to play. By downplaying his weaknesses and making his MU's better overall when he's already solid, we take alot of strategy out of the counterplays that are necessary in those situations. Which is generally a bad idea.
I responded to that post already.

Sammi-husky said:
The thread was locked because it became a cat fight, where things became personal and people were even REPORTING each others posts. It became detrimental to the health of the discussion and simply locking it and having someone make a new one was a simple solution.
It's sad how one person can derail a topic just by being rude. I was hoping someone would just delete the offensive post, rather than lock the whole topic.

Sammi-husky said:
It had nothing to do with coding him. Discussion on the matter is always welcome, however let us please take it to the new thread mmkay? not trying to be a Butt with this whole thing. :D
Done. Any further discussion of Falcon's taunts goes here.

NEWB said:
Ok then, so that matter is resolved if not unsatisfactory to some.
I don't think the topic is completely off-limits yet, as long as we discuss it in the right thread, without flaming each other.

NEWB said:
I never really thought falcon needed anything either, I just don't see a logical reason to not to do something so harmless. I'm sure some people would have appreciated it. Bent has a point when he says the taunt is now come on punch me instead of come on get your ass over here, I'll kill you.

For the record, it makes NO logical sense to taunt a dead foe. Taunts are most satisfactory and fun when your opponent is STILL alive and trying to kill you. I don't whose idea it was to think that a taunt is just a pose you do when everyone is dead, but that person is a moron. Stop calling them taunts of you are going to think like that. Taunts are MEANT for the taunter to mess around, be silly, and (slightly) agitate a foe. Taunts that don't do this aren't taunts or worth doing. Some taunts I notice are sorta just in game victory poses and others literaly do nothing. Falcons come on taunt is a taunt but isn't being treated like one entirely.
THANK YOU. It's nice to finally read something supportive after so long!

NEWB said:
Does anyone REALLY think that using the force is still funny? The only way I would love this if it didn't effect fighters and it allowed Falcon to call to him all items in front of him, cancelling into picking up an item. That would be awesome and hilarious if he flung a bomb or a barrel into his face.
I thought the "Falcon Force" had potential, but it's never going to be buffed enough to be useful, so I'd rather see it removed. That effect on items would have been funny!

See my two modified, balanced suggestions for changes to Falcon's Side Taunt and Up Taunt here.

NEWB said:
I guess I need to make a thread for taunts then.
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Lightning

Ikesexual
Bent 00 said:
Lightning said:

Rules:
4. You CAN continue discussions from the previous topic, but

You don't have to tell me that. I wasn't the one who started the flaming in the other topic...
Bent, I never metioned your name in the first post. I simply created those so we don't have to repeat what happened in the BUFFS topic. :)

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I shall respond once more.

Bent 00 said:
The only thing I really wanted to see removed from MAX 1.01 was Mario's Metal Cap taunt. Everything else felt good and Minus-y to me... I'm sad to hear the YOSHIFOOT is getting the boot (heh), and DK's "shaking off damage" taunt made sense to me because he's such a big target / damage sponge.

Neither YOSHIFOOT or Metal Mario are being removed. Someone must be spreading rumors...YOSHIFOOT is being adjusted, but not taken out.

I'm worried that the currently low-tier characters are bringing down the higher-tier characters by keeping them from being reaching their maximum Minus potential. Characters like R.O.B. and Lucario aren't hurt as much as "B" Tier characters like Falcon, who are prevented from rising to "A" Tier just because they're "good enough".

Captain Falcon is still (and always was) one of the best characters in Minus, and we're working on bringing everyone else to his level while bringing the more OP characters down to earth.
Also, it may be unnecessary, but it would be cool, it would fit the theme of Minus well, and at least 5 other characters each have two taunts that are useful:

Jigglypuff (Gravity and Deflate*)
Link (Mortal Draw and possibly upcoming Fairy taunt replacement)
Lucario (ULTRATAUNT and Power-up taunt)
Luigi (Double Fireball and Luigi Kick)
Mario (Metal Cap and Giant Mario*)
Toon Link (Wind Waker and Sword Flurry*)

* Very situational, but even "rarely useful" is still useful.

If you can name a sitaution where Giant Mario is useful rather than a deterrent or joke, you'll get a cookie. Mortal Draw is being restored to its more taunt-like status (it was made practical without us really knowing until it was too late). Double Fireball is actually worse than just jumping and shooting a fireball, or even shooting one in place. The only real useful ones on that list are Gravity, Ultra Taunt, Power-Up Taunt, and possibly Wind Waker.

Kirby can cancel his taunts too.

Kirby has that ability due to all of his taunts having the utility of getting rid of an unwanted copy ability.

It's sad how one person can derail a topic just by being rude. I was hoping someone would just delete the offensive post, rather than lock the whole topic.

Two wrongs don't make a right. If he was being rude, promptly ignore it.

For the record, it makes NO logical sense to taunt a dead foe. Taunts are most satisfactory and fun when your opponent is STILL alive and trying to kill you. I don't whose idea it was to think that a taunt is just a pose you do when everyone is dead, but that person is a moron.

Actually it makes plenty of sense. it's like making a fist-pump when you walk out of a classroom knowing you got an 100 on the test. You don't do it in front of them, but you do it yourself to celebrate your personal victory. Also you're taunting the opponent, not their character.

In addition, I will remind you that Falcon has little issues with projectiles and a projectile immune approach move in Raptor Boost specifically designed to address him getting zoned.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I've mentioned this before, but I'll go ahead and bring it up again here:

Please remove the buff you gave to Sonic's Side B which makes it instantly obliterate stage elements on stages like Green Hill Zone and Shadow Moses.

It's really annoying, and only useful in the Subspace Emissary anyway.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Why is another discussion on Falcon's taunt taking place?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Pin Clock said:
That is actually a feature, not a buff. If we take it out of normal stages, we take it out of SSE at the same time, so...yeah.

If there were a way to have our cake and eat it, we totally would, though.
Who honestly plays the SSE anymore? I'd much rather see it removed. Make it available as a separate FitSonic.pac file somewhere.

Does anyone disagree?

Lightning said:
Why is another discussion on Falcon's taunt taking place?
It's over now...

NEWB

I play SSE. Not a whole lot, but at least once after every patch to see if everything works right. I figure it's all part of the minus experience. I'm happy to say that we have something pm doesn't.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Currently, im doing a TON of groundbreaking research on SSE. so we may end up taking it out anyways if Minus uses my discoveries. You can check out progress here Right now i can link any two stages in SSE together through doors. Can spawn ANY item and enemy. can change the level type and game mode, amongst MANY other things.

Anyone here ever mod NSMB? It seems that it will eventually be possible for me to completely rewrite the SSE, creating entirely new levels with new hazards new goals and new enemies. If i complete my research, there is little to no reason not to use it in minus if it was accepted by the other devs. Especially with Bero's new SDHC code that allows up to 32 gigabtye SD cards. :) This may just give you a reason to play SSE again in the future.

NEWB

Can you put the bosses from SSE into the bosses in boss battles?

I thought it would be cool to remove easy difficulty and add a MAX difficulty setting to boss battles.

NEWB

Just to elaborate on that, bosses in SSE and bosses in boss battles are different in power and health, the SSE ones being stronger. It would be really cool to get this as a difficulty level.

You would face each boss at intense SSE difficulty, but get to heal after every match. This would require looking into boss battles mode though, and you would need to manually buff master hand and crazy since they don't appear in SSE...

Thor

And you'd need to speed them up or nerf Warlock Punch. On a whim I went into boss battles mode, I'd KO'd 4 bosses in like 15 seconds or something silly like that (probably faster than that actually) thanks to neutral+b.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
To clarify, i can indeed change BOSS moves. If only a little. However im one of VERY few who has figured out how to do it :)

And actually, the boss battles mode is actually an adventure stage that links to the actual boss fights from adventure mode. So making them independent is impossible. i would have to make the SSE and boss battles ones the same since they are the same fighter :/ Also, MasterHand and Crazyhand don't appear in SSE but their files are still in the same SSE directory ironically enough :p

NEWB

But that isn't true! The bosses in SSE on intense mode are faster stronger and healthier then the intense mode version in boss battles. See for yourself. I have already personally confirmed this.

Gold_TSG

It at all possible to use bosses or boss stages in normal matches similarly to what was revealed for smash 4? In that the bosses show up once in a while and you can attack them or each other?

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
But that isn't true! The bosses in SSE on intense mode are faster stronger and healthier then the intense mode version in boss battles. See for yourself. I have already personally confirmed this.

SSE files contain a file called EPSP which controlls the different AI behaviors relative to the difficulty level delegated in ADPM files also contained in the SSE file. Anywhos, i'd hate to maek y'all register on KC:MM or anything to discuss this, so i will prooobbbably make a thread for this :p as i don't wanna drag this off-topic too far. however, i will say that i MIIIGHHHHTTTT be able to make stages that can indeed spawn enemies. that would truly be ground breaking :p

any particular BUFFS that you guys would like to discuss? im generally on here everyday so i can discuss with you guys these sorts of things

NEWB

Turn bite into fire fang for charizard. Basically add fire effect to the move and animate fire around his mouth during start up.

Look, charizard's neutral air isn't flame wheel. It looks nothing like it really. Either engulf his body in flames during the move or reanimate the move to make it look like dragon tail. Actually, just add more fire to Nair. Animate his ftilt to be dragon tail. I think the move would just be blue and deal aura damage perhaps?

Gold_TSG

Would it be legit to alter Falcon's up B to go the same distance back as he does forward the way he did in melee? Or is that too much?

NEWB

Also Sammi, literally play boss battles on intense and compare to adventure mode intense. There IS a difference in power, speed, and health.

Maybe this only true for tabuu? He is what I used to test this.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Also Sammi, literally play boss battles on intense and compare to adventure mode intense. There IS a difference in power, speed, and health.

Maybe this only true for tabuu? He is what I used to test this.

There may be specific AI switches in the EPSP file that is only switched during boss battles, however the AI is still controlled by that file. I don't really know much else about how to alter them. The health would be independent however the rest is still controlled within those files. I've spawned bosses already in SSE stages with varying difficulties, and have also linked stages to the boss battles area :eek: they're all interconnected. The boss movesets are actually in a different file, which based on difficulty will upscale it's hitboxes and damage output

EDIT: i'll get back to you guys on those ideas lol, haven't had time to fully think about them. kinda stressed for time atm.