Brawl Minus MAX cBliss thread

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Re:

Bent 00 said:
Nice job so far, Pin! How did you make those? Are you making the portraits for all the characters? Will this be a roster-wide style?

If you need some help, I'm a good artist. Only problem is I don't have a tablet, so I'd have to draw something in pencil, go over it in pen/marker, scan it, clean it up, and color it digitally. I bet your process is all digital, huh?

Is there a goal date to have all the portraits done by?

Is the rule going to be "character-related textures only" or will completely unrelated character skins be used too? I honestly prefer the former, but that's just me...

Some people will be disappointed to lose the awesome sprite portraits we currently have, but I know making more portraits in that style would be more difficult and would take much longer to do!

I will be drawing all of the character portraits myself in Flash, and give the whole roster a single art style. In addition, unlike our previous CSPs, these will also be on the Results Screen.

As for the process, I am creating concepts for character poses in my sketchbook. My goal is to have the CSP either be a pose key to the character (like Kirby's) or emphasize a certain Minus-based trait with the character (Dedede's will include a Waddle-Dee) to give the player a slightly better idea of how to learn the character when going into a match. (Thank you for the offer to help, I do appreciate it, but I gotta prove myself as an artist. No offense intended, it's a personal thing to me.)

There is no goal date set in stone yet, as I'll be posting the CSPs to say "Hey guys I finished all of this character's textures and they're all working GREAT! So showing the CSPs will serve not only as a preview of what will be in store, but also an update from me on how things are coming along.

While the awesome sprites are admittedly awesome, the style didn't feel unified to me and with the addition of cBliss, recolors need to be simple enough for me to create, which would be much tougher for me to do if I chose to keep the sprites and have them look natural.

We created a tier list for texture priorities on what would get in over what, so keep it in mind when thinking of ideas for character textures.

From top priority to bottom priority:
Alternate versions of the actual character (Samus in a different suit)
Own Series references (Lucario as Blaziken)
Other Nintendo references (Marth as Prince Sable)
Other Fighting Game references (Bowser as Iron Tager)
Other Video Game references (Diddy Kong as Samba de Amigo)
Other references (Olimar as an actual astronaut)
So say you come up with a new idea for Diddy that is related to the Donkey Kong series that has a different coloration than the ones already on there. Since this outprioritizes Samba on the texture list, he would be removed in favor of this new Donkey Kong related idea. But if you wanted say Lucario in Goku's outfit for the voice actor reference, it would be denied due to Lucario already having more important referencing colors referencing things higher up on the priority list. Hopefully this explanation was simple enough, and can be thought of when coming up with ideas.

EDIT: Another note about the sprites I forgot to mention earlier is that we actually got permission from someone else to use those, and went with them due to players tiring of Xlyess' old MS Paint-style portraits. But the Brawl Minus dev team has a strong policy for making sure our work is original and created by the dev team (Which is why we never use parts of someone else's PSA's moves or animations for our characters), so cBliss was the perfect opportunity to change up the portraits and make them Minus' own once more.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Gonna be bringing this back with another character, Mr. Game and Watch!

73gcE.png

His colors are all from cBliss' default pack. There wasn't really a need to alter any of them, but at the same time there isn't really much to say about them, huh? Also texturing G&W's skins individually is a little confusing, especially when he only has one texture file.

Anyways, I'll also be spending a bit of these sections explaining the choice of artwork. For Mr. Game and Watch, I knew he was really different from every other character, so I wanted to capture him in that light in my drawing of him as well: Rather than paint an outline for him and color it in, I drew Mr. Game and Watch entirely with the line tool (and the tool that lets me curve lines). While I was shooting for something that resembles "Disney Animations in the 1920s", I also had to keep it true to Mr. Game and Watch, so I had to find a balance there. As for the Parachute, I wanted to think "What was added to Mr. Game and Watch the most?" and remembered that we added the parachute to three of his moves: nAir, tilted fSmash, and Fire! Unfortunately for it to fit in a CSP while still communicating what exactly it is, i had to shrink it down, so you can think of him as opening the parachute :lol:

I'll try to get to more characters more frequently, but I assure you that there is an awful lot to plan for this update! You guys are in for quite some surprises!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I figured you'd do G&W next, since he's one of the easiest to draw. Good choice for the pose, and nice color selection. I'm looking forward to seeing your depictions of the more detailed characters!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Next up on our list is Bowser! Take a good look at the King of the Koopas as he readies one of his deadly grabs!

75RVD.png

For some reason these forums do not like my images. If you're getting cut off see the full size image here

Let's begin by discussing the choices for Bowser textures. I felt as if he was one of the easier characters to choose colors for, what with NES Bowser being an easy Green Team slot and Dry Bowser and Dark Bowser being popular "Final Form" variations on Bowser. Needless to say, they were all easy inclusions that didn't need second thought! If you're worried that Dark Bowser may seem a bit close to Blue Team Bowser in coloration, no worries! The actual Dark Bowser texture is pretty different from Blue Team's Bowser, so you can play them both and still be able to tell who's who!

Sadly with turning the cBliss project from "As many textures as we can without replacing the real popular ones!" to "Only add in new textures, don't replace ones that are already in the game!" We had to make some sacrifices, count our losses and move on. Funny enough this includes one of the textures I wanted to do from the very start and that was part of what pushed me to get into textures for Minus, the Iron Tager Bowser texture. I suppose if enough people voice for it, however, I wouldn't mind making these textures for Minus in the future.

Now onto the drawing. After hearing people be curious as to what a complex character would look like in my style, I figured I'd go around the order a few and take on the Bowz, since his textures were all set to go anyways. For the choice of pose, I chose to capture him readying a grab on an opponent, but couldn't include any other characters in the drawing, so a chase for the grab it is! To be honest, the pose was actually decided by BrawlPK, who was originally going to do the CSPs for Minus Max, until I chose to take over. I felt that his drawing was too simplistic or felt too close to Xyless' MS Paint portraits, and that the colors didn't radiate enough personality, so I decided to take it upon myself to draw his pose in my style, also as an apology for having him draw twelve or so characters only for his art not to be used in the game. One notable thing I changed was the teeth, as I felt they were too goofy, so I decided to make them sharper. Looks more menacing. Also kinda reminds you of Taz, don't cha think? I may use more of BrawlPK's poses for some future character portraits. And by "I May" I mean "I Will".

If you're curious as to what BrawlPK's bowser looked like, click here. i'd post it in this thread but the image size is like 5k by 5k so lolno.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
friggin awesome... for didy kong, is the dixie kong styled color still going to be just a recolor? or are you guys going to edit its vertex so it actually looks like her?... i'm just kinda wondering, i don't actually play as diddy very much :p

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
justadood said:
friggin awesome... for didy kong, is the dixie kong styled color still going to be just a recolor? or are you guys going to edit its vertex so it actually looks like her?... i'm just kinda wondering, i don't actually play as diddy very much :p

For the vast majority of the textures that will be included, we will be sticking to recolors.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
alright... well one thing i would recomend for pikachu is to make his green color more like ruby's hat:
comm__brendan__s_ruby__s_hat_v2_by_fallenzephyr-d5qk8en.png

it would fit perfectly, and his red color uses trainer red's hat, so why not? ^^ i'd recommend finding one for the blue reclolor, but it doesn't look like the goggles belong to any of the pokemon trainers :p ...at least none that i can find... the closest trainer hat i can find to the blue goggles (or anything blue) is trainer Wes from the GC game, pokemon colosseum:
al1111032252binout.jpg

...i guess i'm just posting ideas for if you guys are making recolors for pikachu that more reliably use the trainer hats as a reference... or at least the male trainer hats...

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
NEWB said:
Well, can't the poke trainer get different textures?

that could definitely be awesome, but at the same time, seeing trainer ruby with gen 1 Pokemon doesn't really fit :p ...but maybe trainer ruby inspired recolours (not vertexes) of trainer red would be possible :D and maybe that same with trainer wes inspiring a blue recolour for him too :)

and Pin, I was wondering two things:
-are small vertex changes, like pikachu's green color changing to be like ruby's, out of the question?
-and are there going to be alt team colors for characters like bowser (who has the green nes color, the blue dark bowser color, and the red dry bowser color) who's extra colors match up with red green and blue?.. because if so, i'd love to see it for as many characters as possible!! :D i really hope that when proper colors are available, they can be alt team colors ^^ bowser could have that, maybe yoshi (with pink and light blue, maybe lime green) and maybe pikachu if you guys decide to keep the original colors AND put in the ruby hat and wes goggles, and maybe a second red of some kind... ... i'd love to see this on any character who's new colors look that way X3

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
justadood said:
NEWB said:
Well, can't the poke trainer get different textures?

that could definitely be awesome, but at the same time, seeing trainer ruby with gen 1 Pokemon doesn't really fit :p ...but maybe trainer ruby inspired recolours (not vertexes) of trainer red would be possible :D and maybe that same with trainer wes inspiring a blue recolour for him too :)

and Pin, I was wondering two things:
-are small vertex changes, like pikachu's green color changing to be like ruby's, out of the question?
-and are there going to be alt team colors for characters like bowser (who has the green nes color, the blue dark bowser color, and the red dry bowser color) who's extra colors match up with red green and blue?.. because if so, i'd love to see it for as many characters as possible!! :D i really hope that when proper colors are available, they can be alt team colors ^^ bowser could have that, maybe yoshi (with pink and light blue, maybe lime green) and maybe pikachu if you guys decide to keep the original colors AND put in the ruby hat and wes goggles, and maybe a second red of some kind... ... i'd love to see this on any character who's new colors look that way X3

Pokemon Trainer, like everyone else, will only be receiving textures on the required slots. His Pokemon, however, will be recieving extra cBliss colors due to the whole colorblind/seperating them from one another in team battles thing. Same applies to Sonic, who will be receiving 7 cBliss colors instead of just the 4 required ones. Some will have vertex hacks, but not many. The Emerald Hat one you proposed would likely be included in the first "DLcBliss" pack that would affect slots outside of the required ones, which I have been requested to make separate and optional (except again for those who's colors on teams are hard to distinguish)

I'd like to give everyone alt. Team colors, but there's issues involving compatibility in our codeset. In fact, NES Bowser is actually Bowser's new Green Team color, where as his default, FitKoopa00 is no longer a team color.

Also, I will not be posting every character here right away, but I will tell you I have completed drawings of a King of Evil, a happy dinosaur, and two psychic children. I may share them later on in development, but I gotta make sure everything is in working order~!

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
Pin Clock said:
justadood said:
Pokemon Trainer, like everyone else, will only be receiving textures on the required slots. His Pokemon, however, will be recieving extra cBliss colors due to the whole colorblind/seperating them from one another in team battles thing. Same applies to Sonic, who will be receiving 7 cBliss colors instead of just the 4 required ones. Some will have vertex hacks, but not many. The Emerald Hat one you proposed would likely be included in the first "DLcBliss" pack that would affect slots outside of the required ones, which I have been requested to make separate and optional (except again for those who's colors on teams are hard to distinguish)

I'd like to give everyone alt. Team colors, but there's issues involving compatibility in our codeset. In fact, NES Bowser is actually Bowser's new Green Team color, where as his default, FitKoopa00 is no longer a team color.

Also, I will not be posting every character here right away, but I will tell you I have completed drawings of a King of Evil, a happy dinosaur, and two psychic children. I may share them later on in development, but I gotta make sure everything is in working order~!

that all sounds just spectacular :) very glad to hear it, pin. i'm really stoked, and i hope everything comes together well :D

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I want to see Ganondorf's new portraits. o_o

You gotta make Falcon's portraits awesome!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
In due time, my friends, in due time.

I will tell you that at this point I am over halfway done drawing the cast, and am likely to finish everyone's portrait during my Spring Break. Textures on the other hand may take a little bit longer.

Also, Sonic will be having every costume but his default changed simply due to how similar they are. Pokemon Trainer's extra non-team color will be kept.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Pin Clock said:
Textures on the other hand may take a little bit longer.
If you need someone to help you make recolors, I'll be more then willing to help. :D

NEWB

Shouldn't he get his bat? I mean I guess that doesn't define him particularly, but it's his new thingy in minus. Like the pic though.

Lightning

Ikesexual
These are looking really nice Pin. I can't wait to see the rest of the cast.

*cough* post Zelda tomorrow *cough* :mrgreen: