Brawl Minus MAX cBliss thread

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Do you like....costumes? Do you like....even more costumes? Do you like Brawl minus but don't want to play with your cBliss colors worried you'll make trouble with it like me? Well with the soon to come Minus cBliss expansion pack, you can!

What we're looking to do is release a batch of palette swaps that fill up the extra color slots, and make the already filled color slots reference more things if they don't already. For the ease and convenience of creating textures, wifi compatibility, as well as finding the creativity of palette swaps funner than a bunch of model imports, means we will be sticking to mostly color swaps for our included textures.

Each character (sans Wario) will receive a Minus-based "Fake" color, which are the "Shadow" versions of characters created by the Shadow Bugs in the subspace Emissary.

If there are any suggestions to possible changes in what character should have what color or if you have any ideas, we would love to heard them as replies, as well as doing anything that can help get the Minus cBliss project moving!

If you have ideas for textures, post them here!

NEWB

I have too much to say onthis. Get back to it later. Love the idea. Misspelt sonic there at the end.

NEWB

I would rather see more color swaps and other versions of that character then completely random characters. I understand we want to fill up space, but I don't know who the hell half the models are that are mentioned. It looks more like a compilation hack than alt colors. I like false minus colors and things like cosmic Mario and dark link, but I don't even know who the hell Pauline is. If we need to fill in spots, there are more than enough recolors on the brawl vault to choose from instead of those. I also don't get how you would put tetra over sheik. One is short and cell shaded, but the other isn't. Stick to recolors, love the idea.

If you are going with all those other models, we should release this as a compilation hack rather then apart of minus.

NEWB

Is there anyway to do alt effects on moves like pm's alt costumes? I think shadow Mario using darkness attacks would look sick.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Pretty sure he's talking about a Tetra texture swap. Not a full fledged Tetra model.

NEWB

Well, I guess that's ok if it looks alright. Kinda random, but sheik has pretty much no alta that we can do unless there is an Oot sheik out there.

SonicBrawler

Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Is there anyway to do alt effects on moves like pm's alt costumes? I think shadow Mario using darkness attacks would look sick.

yup. it is possible. i know how to do it. we might do stuff like that for the cbliss slots. might

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
I would rather see more color swaps and other versions of that character then completely random characters. I understand we want to fill up space, but I don't know who the hell half the models are that are mentioned. It looks more like a compilation hack than alt colors. I like false minus colors and things like cosmic Mario and dark link, but I don't even know who the hell Pauline is. If we need to fill in spots, there are more than enough recolors on the brawl vault to choose from instead of those. I also don't get how you would put tetra over sheik. One is short and cell shaded, but the other isn't. Stick to recolors, love the idea.

If you are going with all those other models, we should release this as a compilation hack rather then apart of minus.

The reason why color swaps referencing other characters are there is because we ran out of individual costume ideas for that character specifically, but if you can come up with some that aren't too similar to other colors I'd love to hear them, as any suggestions are appriciated.

Pauline was supposed to be Paulina from Donkey Kong and the Mario vs DK series. That was a mistake.

NEWB

That makes more sense. Sorry I came on to strong. I'm a little frustrated with the quality of work done on minus when compared to project m. I don't like seeing a game like that get praise when it's just an old game polished to look new. There are a lot of issues or limitations with minus. I feel it has more potential then the devs can bring out, because of numbers.

I'm actually colorblind, but I'll look for alt colors/appropriate models to use. I have one in mind for shadow Mario and dark link at least.

Smilindeth

If interested in any ideas for skins, here is an Excel file (though slightly outdated) of a set used for CBliss in a Minus setup that I run for a group on Fridays.

Though some recolors are fun, a lot people like the random characters and references since it pushes Minus to be that extra step up in craziness.
"Is that that guy from Dexter's Labratory? ... OH YEAH, Major Glory!"
"Need a skin for Donkey Kong, why not Zoidberg?"

A couple players who aren't as familiar with the game prefer the base models so they know they are playing, so this build will likely get changed up so slot 0 for each character will be the default skin, then everything else will be up to what we find or potentially make. Team color slots are aimed to always fit the color in case we ever play teams.

Some advice, if you do any CBliss with Kirby, grab his WHOLE folder from the disk, then overwrite parts from there, or else there will be a high likelihood of crashing due to missing hats and other misc files.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Why all the BlazBlue refs? I don't think TL as Tsubaki is a good thing at all. And Link should have his actual TP styled special armors.

NEWB

There is a TP dark link texture that is also wicked awesome! I hope that is one you have listed, because it looks exactly like how he looked in TP!

NEWB

Perfect Shadow Mario on the brawl vault would be a great addition. Except, make the final smash eyes his normal eyes. Can someone do this for me?

NEWB

You can find it at top downloads for Mario. It would also be awesome if he got darkness effect over fire.

Also, cosmic Mario is nice, but the actual one has a darker outline. The one on brawl vault looks really bright because it has a white outline. It looks good, but it's not precise.

Fivavoa

Uwaaaaa~~!
Playtester
"Kumatora"

yesyesyesyesyespls
071019kmtr_large.png

Glyph

Is there a download to this that I'm missing? I have a few skins I think might be a better fit, but I'd like to see how the ones you've included look first.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Figured I'd bring this thread back to post our first completed character for the cBliss Expansion (as well as show off the CSPs that I made), I present to you, Kirby's many costumes, and his four new ones!

6X5RZ.png

From Kirby Air Ride, we give you Purple and Brown Kirby! Sir Meta Knight seems to have misplaced his mask...and voice...and experience, and may have borrowed Kirby's move set too. Huh. Also, do take note of the final texture, the "Shadow" texture! Every character will receive a texture like this to go with the Brawl Minus purple theme.

We are also changing character's texture ideas into better ones as we go along. Kirby was originally going to have a different texture until we remembered that Maskless Meta Knight looks just like Kirby, so we are always changing up the texture list as we go along.

I'll be posting more CSPs that preview the upcoming textures as the texture process come along.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Nice job so far, Pin! How did you make those? Are you making the portraits for all the characters? Will this be a roster-wide style?

If you need some help, I'm a good artist. Only problem is I don't have a tablet, so I'd have to draw something in pencil, go over it in pen/marker, scan it, clean it up, and color it digitally. I bet your process is all digital, huh?

Is there a goal date to have all the portraits done by?

Is the rule going to be "character-related textures only" or will completely unrelated character skins be used too? I honestly prefer the former, but that's just me...

Some people will be disappointed to lose the awesome sprite portraits we currently have, but I know making more portraits in that style would be more difficult and would take much longer to do!

NEWB

I liked these new ones though because they weren't childish.... The old ones were funny, but not professional. Are they really gonna look like that? Minus did silly right with the new victory/loss animations, but the CSS portraits just looked childish after awhile.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I wouldn't write off this new style as entirely "childish" just yet, since we've only seen Kirby so far (the most childish character in appearance).

I like the sprites better so far too, but you must know how hard those are to make... And I'm betting the Minus Team wants to use a roster-wide portrait style, so I'm afraid the cool sprites have got to go.