Brawl Minus 3.Q is all Qued up and ready to go!

Thor

Jiggs is a big eyeball and Kirby is a marshmallow.

Or so says Snake. Maybe that's why he got cut???

Thor

Is this the end of Minus?

In a word, no.

I know at least a few people who don't like any version of Smash but Minus for various reasons, and Smash 4 doesn't address why they like Minus over any previous smash, so they'll keep playing it.

I don't know about the devs though - it may be that Minus goes on hiatus for some time [but I'd HOPE they at least fix the Olimar and random character select crashes [and Samus zair issues??? If those exist] in one last patch before retiring from the project if they do so...]

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
So hype for Smash 4 you have no idea.

Valravn

I'm pretty pumped for Smash 4, but unless it has the kind of chunky combo goodness that Minus offers I can't imagine I'll just suddenly drop Minus entirely.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Combos? In Smash 4?

1410420838294.png

SM4SH has pathetically few "combos" because there's barely any hitstun at all.

Minus has amazing combos plus a great feeling of speed and power that SM4SH will never have.

Not saying SM4SH is bad -- it's great! Better than vBrawl (except no Snake). However, I like Minus much more.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
How can Sm4sh be better?
There's no Snake, Ike's a druggie, Ness will be basically useless with lower hitstun and no DJC, and worst of all...
THERE'S NO ROY (FE6)!

Thor

Combos? In Smash 4?

SM4SH has pathetically few "combos" because there's barely any hitstun at all.

Minus has amazing combos plus a great feeling of speed and power that SM4SH will never have.

Not saying SM4SH is bad -- it's great! Better than vBrawl (except no Snake). However, I like Minus much more.

You don't seem to understand Smash 4 -_-

Sheik has some hilarious stuff in the new one, as do a few other characters, and I for one am starting to get sick of eating zero-deaths from Captain Falcon every time I'm hit by a dash attack or jab combo.

Brawl had true combos and there was a hitstun coding error that is NOT present in Smash 4 - and for all the people who hate it when I grab ledge right before they would so they plummet to their doom, that's 100% gone in Smash 4.

You forgot Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers. I don't trust your judgment at all.

NEWB

lol Thor. That last lines the clincher right there.

But nah seriously, smash 4 is amazing. That being said, it's still widely hyped and popular mostly because that is how new things work. Once the game stops feeling new, then all of is who love smash 4 can objectively compare it to other smash games as there is bias in favor of smash 4 within a lot of us.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Smash 4 has combos, they are just more skill and timing based than before. I've watched a lot of competent play in streams, and juggling/comboing is still very much there, you simply can't beat someone to upwards of 60-80% in one go, which is silly already. I've been able to combo close to 50% in the demo with Mario, which is pretty good considering the game's lower hitstun.

I also saw some much wanted competent DK play, and seeing him able to beat up DDD made me quite happy, since DDD was the one that made him useless in brawl due to the infinite down throw.

Thor

lol Thor. That last lines the clincher right there.

But nah seriously, smash 4 is amazing. That being said, it's still widely hyped and popular mostly because that is how new things work. Once the game stops feeling new, then all of is who love smash 4 can objectively compare it to other smash games as there is bias in favor of smash 4 within a lot of us.

It's more like I have bias for unmodded Smash in favor of modded Smash. But thankfully Minus doesn't just try to be another boring old Melee [Melee was awesome, the mods really don't do much for me...] so I can see your point.

But I also love Brawl, so I doubt I'm somehow gonna ditch Smash 4 for Brawl-.

Smash 4 has combos, they are just more skill and timing based than before. I've watched a lot of competent play in streams, and juggling/comboing is still very much there, you simply can't beat someone to upwards of 60-80% in one go, which is silly already. I've been able to combo close to 50% in the demo with Mario, which is pretty good considering the game's lower hitstun.

I also saw some much wanted competent DK play, and seeing him able to beat up DDD made me quite happy, since DDD was the one that made him useless in brawl due to the infinite down throw.

Falco and MK didn't do DK any favors either... but even if he still loses to DDD, no CGs already improves his (and Ganondorf's) overall viability because they can't be beaten by someone able to do one thing really well 3 times in a row.

Thor

I once saw a guy do a combo with Ike in Smash 4.
Then I woke up.

Late nair to jab is still a thing in Smash 4. At least I saw that combo at low percents at least once. There are quite possibly others but I'm unfamiliar with Ike in Smash 4.

tycoonX

Toon Link is incredibly OP in this version. Attached is a video of two tournament-level players playing as ZSS and TL.

As you can see, TL's traps make it almost impossible for ZSS to land...
TL OP!

Thor

I think you should focus on dtilting away arrows when you get a KO - also landing with air-dodge -> shield will help protect you some.

Or just pick Wolf/Falco/Fox/Zelda and land with reflector : P

TL is really annoying though, I agree about that.

Also imagine the issues that DK/Bowser have...

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
You don't seem to understand Smash 4 -_-
Please, enlighten me then. I've been playing SM4SH a lot these past few days.

Sheik has some hilarious stuff in the new one, as do a few other characters, and I for one am starting to get sick of eating zero-deaths from Captain Falcon every time I'm hit by a dash attack or jab combo.
You're talking about 3.Q, right? What's so hilarious about Sheik, her new Side B? If you're getting zero-deathed by Falcon's Knees, you need to D.I. better and be less predictable with your D.I..

You forgot Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers. I don't trust your judgment at all.
Ehh, I barely ever used those characters, so don't expect me to miss them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Please, enlighten me then. I've been playing SM4SH a lot these past few days.

You're talking about 3.Q, right? What's so hilarious about Sheik, her new Side B? If you're getting zero-deathed by Falcon's Knees, you need to D.I. better and be less predictable with your D.I..

Ehh, I barely ever used those characters, so don't expect me to miss them.

DI is actually MORE effective than the new vectoring at low percents, because vectoring is a percentage of the knockback sustainted, such that you can hardly (if at all) vector out of low knockback things, while you could DI low knockback things in Melee very well (as an example, you can DI Falco ftilt to go diagonally away from him in Melee even at 0%, but you can't do that in the new one because the KB is too low to allow you to vector as much). And vectoring and DI BOTH let you live longer, the only difference is the input and result - with DI, a 121 unit attack might be DI'd such that you go up 100 units and left 21 units, while in the new smash, a 121 unit attack would be vectored straight down so that you go up 100 units instead (or something like that). In either case combos are harder and survival is longer, but people don't seem to understand that at all (And from your post, you seemed to think DI somehow didn't do the same things vectoring did).

I was talking about her fthrow -> fair -> fair combos that seem to be inescapable (at the very least, fthrow -> nair works, and ftilt can link into itself to usually at least 20% on Little Mac, as well as other followups).

I don't eat a zero-death by knee chains (those are easy to DI - hold down and tech), I eat zero-deaths from [jab3 ->] dash attack -> knee -> uair -> uair -> knee -> knee or uair -> knee? or some variation where I can alter my DI on uairs, but I pretty much will always eat uairs until a knee, unless I get close enough to a blastline and then DI uair straight up so he can't chase me - but if it starts center-stage, I'm dead if they don't mess up. Also the uairs can start with a uthrow and I can't do much, if anything about it (I'm not sure if it's frame-perfect or not but I usually struggle to jump out) so just eating uair chains offstage that sometimes still end up in the knee is irritating. If I play Sunderstorm I'll see about recording some of the matches to illustrate my point.

Not even gonna comment on that last part.