Brawl Minus 3.Q is all Qued up and ready to go!

Vauss

ZSS/Link main checking in with some early thoughts

ZSS: feels extremely gimped. The damage reduction to my combos resulting from the d-smash nerf is huge. The f-smash nerf isn't felt as much as I rarely use it as a kill move, it has too much startup to be reliable outside of a paralyzer combo in the first place . The dash attack nerf is pretty big as well. I can understand removing the ability to stage carry someone with it, but in addition to losing that, she has lost a lot of mobility. She's a glass cannon character due to her speed (nerfed with the dash attack), high damage combos (nerfed with the dsmash) and horrible recovery (unchanged), but now it feels like she has lost far too much with nothing in return in this iteration

Link: Is a beast. He already had some very powerful (albeit short) combos in his 3.5 iteration, and the speed up to his attacks just makes landing them all that much easier, and the buffs to his general repertoire gives him many more options. I gladly let TLink have his bomb speed niche back for all this

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
So I actually got to try out Q even though I'm away from home and Peach's new throws are good. A step in the right direction. But why nerf nair "because fair should be a good KO move" when fair is already a mediocre kill move at best is absolutely baffling. Why not buff fair and keep nair the same?

Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch hitlag is so strong that you can literally perfect shield every hit and punish hard. Or you can just perfect shield the first hit and roll out of the way. :(

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
So as you may have heard, there's no wifi code on this build.
Well here I am with updated gcts for the TWO different servers you can try. You can only use one server at a time, and you can only play those connected to that specific server. So choose wisely. MinimaWifi is a newer server and Wiimmfi is the server we've been using since Nintendo's shut down. You can find some info here.
MinimaWifi
Wiimmfi
Make sure you rename the gct file to: RSBE01.gct and put it in the /codes folder
the minimawifi code doesn't work right now. hostname problems.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Gonna point some things out.

New Samus should be the superior of all Samus builds thus far thanks to the additional reliability in her combo game, as well as the crash bug being fixed on Zair, making it actually safe to abuse in her combos and pokes.

I can understand the hesitation for Dorf's new moves, but I can tell you they work pretty well. Utilt is a great combo starter out of flame choke, and new dsmash has a plethora of uses thanks to the kept wind boxes. It is now possible to use it as another alternative out of dthrow, and because of how the wind works, will almost always pull people down into the attack with its range. Wizkick was hit because it was too strong and too fast, as it was his strongest kill move next to Pawnch and Up B uppercut. Since it can be used pretty reliably out of dthrow and Gandouken, there is no reason for that.

Ike didn't need to heal for 10% because of how easy it tends to be to land multiple Aethers in a row. Uair was changed because it was too easy to get guaranteed kills out of a specific combo, that being Dair > Dair (sometimes this one isn't needed) > Utilt > Uair > Uair. The hitstun keeps them locked long enough for him to catch up and effectively guarantee KOs. I am ok with this change, because I didn't even know about it until Sammi told me, and once practicing with it, it felt broken. And Razing Eruption is triggered by using side taunt during NSM and pressing B once his sword is behind him.

Glyph

Why does wolf just have a worse version of Falco lasers? Those were fine, and now its just awful.

Oh good, and Ness's Fair is now completely worthless as well. Here comes the balance train! Just insert intentionally bad moves!

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Ganondorf:
Down Smash
Hey, I liked the old Down Smash! This port of Up Tilt is not a good replacement. It feels weaker and it lost it's extended range, which was awesome. The new hitbox behind 'Dorf won't surprise foes for long.

Warlock Punch
What's up with those 66% damage offensive collisions I see in PSA?

Wizard's Foot (Down B) Grounded
Wizard's Foot (Down B) Aerial

Anyone care to share some insight on why these were changed?

1- It opens new combos that Dorf never had. Find them.
2- Activate it and see how we experimented, but please don't tell anyone.
3- Grounded was too fast to be so powerful. Even after it was slowed 3 frames. It was killing at pre smash strength and coming out at pre jab speed.

Ike:
New NS Attack: Aetherial Eruption
This form of Eruption seems too weak, considering it damages Ike 20%, doesn't send opponents too far, and doesn't kill Mario until ~100%. Feels like a waste of a No Sympathy Mode charge.

NS Counter
Very nice changes here. It's great to have Counter back in No Sympathy Mode. Flourish still does not link well, though. It deactivates No Sympathy Mode, and now it damages Ike 20% -- why would I ever use this instead of keeping stronger versions of Ike's other attacks? The only situations I can think of are:
A.) I want to end the match with a flashy finishing move
B.) I'm at critical damage, so I'm about to lose my N.S.M. charge anyway

Ike can hold the Eruption and cancel out of it if he chooses, but doing so forfeits NS mode although he won't take the self damage.
How is this useful? Let's say I choose to use Flourish for one of the two reasons I listed above.
Situation A.) I'm about to win the match, why would I cancel out of Eruption now?
Situation B.) I don't care if I damage myself 20%, because I'm already at critical damage. I want to use my N.S.M. charge to get one more K.O. before I get K.O.ed myself. If I cancel Eruption, I lose my N.S.M. charge, and what do I get?

Hey, that reminds me of a bug: Eruption hits do not contribute to Ike's No Sympathy Mode charge meter. You'd think they would, being a sword attack, but no.
1- Aether's eruption is hella safe. You can activate it at will ONLY if you hit if you so choose. This means that Ike's safest move can now turn into a powerful attack that can be used in practically any situation.
2- If those are the only things you can think of you must never play FFAs. Ike is invulnerable during the slashes of flourish. These could be used to destroy a group of foes all at once.
3- What do you gain? Well if you have items on like a blast box you can avoid blowing yourself up with eruption. That'd be about 50% self damage. Do you want that much? Let's say you counter and someone tricks you into using NS on a ranged attack. You don't have to hurt yourself to gain nothing and you can dodge as soon as your invulnerability wears off.
4- It isn't a bug. Eruption isn't a sword attack so much as an energy attack. involving the use of his sword.

Zelda:
However, it still does not work when Zelda is on a slope/incline/steps/etc. Another bug I found is that Zelda cannot cancel Transform in the air. Sheik can, so that's why I'm guessing it's a bug.

Maybe I'm not understanding what slope or incline means. Because I only know what meaning for it.

Glad to see you pulled the ROB rework for something much less retarded.
I'm pretty astonished Link of all people saw as many buffs as he did this update, he's already incredibly strong. I do want to ask, exactly how much slower is his bomb pull now? Like in frames?

Lucario only gets his most inconsistent kill methods nerfed, but I do like the other adjustments.

The only thing that will really consistently matter for Peach that you touched on was her nair, which is also the only move that you nerfed. The buffs are nice, but nothing that will make a difference in making Peach a more solid character.

Forget what I said about Link, TL is also blatantly better now. This grab change is a really poor one in particular, TL's throws are amazing and now it'll be significantly harder to punish a whiffed grab. Oh and his aerials are all faster on land just because why not. Buffs for the sake of buffs instead of to fix a real problem.

1- Link's buffs were almost all speed related. His grabs outside weren't good for setting up outside of dthrow, which is awful for someone who tether grabs to begin with.
In Frames his bomb speed is slowed by 2 frames to start. The entire animation in general is slowed 5 frames if I recall. That's not that bad.

2- Trying not to overnerf Lucario. There are a few easy ways out but those would kill him as a character.

3- Pick up Peach and then tell me if you think the grabs buffs don't matter. They more than compensate for her nair reduction.

4- TL is supposed to be blatantly better. While it will be harder to punish his grabs it will also be harder for him to just hold a hookshot out and hope someone stumbles on it, still scoring the grab. Reducing the active grab box frames is more of a nerf than less endlag on a 80+ frame move ever would be.

So pichu lost its heal for no reason. Excuse my french but fucking why intentionally make Pichu worse? The 4%only heals weren't even good at all.
Jiggs still can only use half of its moveset.
Peach is underwhelming.
Marths wavesmash has set momentum.... Unsure about this as marth in 3.5 was perfect.
All in all, 7/10. Lots of good stuff but the bad stuff is fucking BAD

1- I might end up looking at Jiggs. Because everything I touch becomes too good. Which will lead it into needs nerfing territory.
2- Peach is not underwhelming at all.
3- This isn't something you're likely to notice. It basically means his move won't be affected by his current momentum which makes it so he'll always slide the same distance.

So I actually got to try out Q even though I'm away from home and Peach's new throws are good. A step in the right direction. But why nerf nair "because fair should be a good KO move" when fair is already a mediocre kill move at best is absolutely baffling. Why not buff fair and keep nair the same?

Because Fair is already a good KO move. Nair came out in around 2 or 4 frames I believe and has a ridiculously dangerous angle. When paired with Bomber or fakeouts, it's pretty amazing. If anything, fair may get a few tweaks down the line, but nair is now in a good place in terms of speed, utility, and power.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

Peach's fair is an amazing kill move. Learn how to space, time it, and chase offstage.

I like Ganon's new moves so far. A little sketchy on the utilt as his upsmash also combos with things at low percents.

Not sure why the hitlag for falcon punch was reverted. It it's that easy to perfect shield and punish, then it's bad. I've never seen it happen or done consistently personally.

How do you do pits new move?

Zamus doesn't feel gimped to me at all. Proper spacing plus abuse with her aerials and specials is a deadly combo.

I'm not to sure about link. The fsmash and bthrow tweaks were necessary and appreciated. His dtilt getting buffed is fair, but his other moves getting buffed are very surprising.

Toon link probably got lower Landlag, as did other characters, die to the inc in gravity. And guys, more gravity is really good on 90 percent of the cast. They just may need to tweak around it.

Thor, minus still has many chain grabs, they just aren't infinite to a point that would let someone do a 0 to death combo.

NEWB

I just did Ike's razing eruption...... SO MUCH HAM

All and all, I'm enjoying this update a lot! I'm also looking forward to the future tweaks of the new stuff.

But yeah kien, you need to nerf links projectile game now if you want a more physically orients link for minus. He really should have been that ya from the start.

Jade_Rock

Nice!Loving the looks of Toon Link,Adult Link,Ike,Ganondorf,Roy and probably like others when I read there changes more thoroughly.

Thor

Baby_Sneak said:
idk about you samus, but i really dig the new samus. i feel like im in complete control of the new samus compared to," jump and wait 3sec to come to teh ground again" old samus. I as a player, needs to feel like im in control of my char and this new samus delivers on that. same goes for the rest of the cast ( however, not saying that every char should have super fast fall speed.)

Maybe it's cuz you're a spacie main but offstage and sometimes onstage I feel almost out of control with her - her bomb jump still feels and looks very awkward, and her dair just doesn't feel useful anymore, whereas before you could float in range and smack 'em good, now you have to start it from further down (so it feels) and it leaves it feeling more telegraphed to me. Also, that's what fastfalling aerials was for, but her fair out of a shorthop still doesn't feel as good as the old one (though thankfully, fair does suck a whole lot less now). Her new Screw Attach is definitely something that needed to happen with this fall speed, but still...

I might still start a thread on it, but I can see why she would be usable, even if I don't like her current feeling.

Ditto on the question Bent 00 asked: Why was the global gravity increased? What does that do to the characters?

Bash uair -> rest is a thing if you've got guts at low and mid percents - it also KOs near the top blastline rather well. Utilt combos into rest well (What would you use with your back to the enemy instead of utilt? Sh bair? What if it's a ducking Kirby?). Dtilt... I need to check out. Dair is good for gimping characters without jumps left, thanks to the ability to hold the button down (it can intercept Captain Falcon's recovery rather well if you're above him).

Gold_TSG said:
New Samus should be the superior of all Samus builds thus far thanks to the additional reliability in her combo game, as well as the crash bug being fixed on Zair, making it actually safe to abuse in her combos and pokes.

Looks like I need to start a thread on this - her combo game was plenty reliable in her slower gravity [it was certainly reliable for me at least]. Need to check out her zair.

Gold_TSG said:
I can understand the hesitation for Dorf's new moves, but I can tell you they work pretty well. Utilt is a great combo starter out of flame choke, and new dsmash has a plethora of uses thanks to the kept wind boxes. It is now possible to use it as another alternative out of dthrow, and because of how the wind works, will almost always pull people down into the attack with its range. Wizkick was hit because it was too strong and too fast, as it was his strongest kill move next to Pawnch and Up B uppercut. Since it can be used pretty reliably out of dthrow and Gandouken, there is no reason for that.

Am I missing something with utilt? It doesn't link into anything if they are hit with the full thing - there's zero IASA frames on it, and they're knocked too far behind 'dorf to hit them with bair or any other move (this was tested on King Dedede, a fatty, so he wouldn't even fly very far...). I need video evidence that this move can combo, because it does nothing toward starting a combo on my end, and is a bad finisher for combos in general. Wizard Kick changes are fine...

Gold_TSG said:
Ike didn't need to heal for 10% because of how easy it tends to be to land multiple Aethers in a row. Uair was changed because it was too easy to get guaranteed kills out of a specific combo, that being Dair > Dair (sometimes this one isn't needed) > Utilt > Uair > Uair. The hitstun keeps them locked long enough for him to catch up and effectively guarantee KOs. I am ok with this change, because I didn't even know about it until Sammi told me, and once practicing with it, it felt broken. And Razing Eruption is triggered by using side taunt during NSM and pressing B once his sword is behind him.

If you can't SDI Aether or DI the last hit so you can't repeat it, you deserve to get hit by it repeatedly and watch them fall back to zero quickly. And I will stand by that statement regardless of anything else you say - Aether is too hard to hit with to get the heal nerfed (and there is so little reward with it compared to other moves, so don't even try make a Warlock Punch comparison). That other combo sounds like it relies on them not DIing either [and they MUST miss the tech or it doesn't work at all], but I don't think it's a huge problem that it got removed...

NEWB said:
Thor, minus still has many chain grabs, they just aren't infinite to a point that would let someone do a 0 to death combo.

They must either all rely on terrible DI (and if Luigi's does, fine) or else I've never EVER seen them (I know the Metal Mario ones exist, that's because he's way different from normal characters), and I would like some examples of ones that are true CGs (as in, Sheik NTSC Melee dthrow or Falco dthrow, where DI can be a mixup but they can always get the regrab up to a certain percent).

Wolf laser nerf was unneeded.

And WHY IS IT NOT LISTED IN THE CHANGELOG THAT FALCO HAS HIS VBRAWL LASER SPEED BACK? AND WHY WERE SLOW LASERS REMOVED?! While I miss the old lasers (and the free grabs that led to nothing), now I have to practice something that wasn't worth it before, namely side+b -> jump -> b-reversed lasers, so that I can camp the hell out of anyone I choose. FYI, fast laser also makes nair -> laser lock obscenely easy to do (whereas before, they could SDI away and actually break out by being too far away at some point). But let me guess, we're gonna hop on board the nerf train, and make Falco's nair suck more than it did in vBrawl while removing the JC on Phantasm.

It's a good thing I play MK and Pikachu, or this updates changes to some characters I kinda like, and the new broken stuff with Falco that will be taken out and make him a poor character (sub-par combos already) might be enough to make me stop playing Minus.

NEWB

I actually liked slow lasers. Why were they reverted? That should also be in the changelog.

Is the AI a lot better now or is it just me?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
That's riiiiiight. Thor's a Falco main.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Im with Thor on the falco train. 3.5 falco was one of the characters that needed few (if any) changes.

Pichus healing nerf is retarded especially since it STILL SELF DAMAGES FOR NO REASON.

Zelda is still nigh impossible to approach when SHFFingis (seriously, the range on those needs to be nerfed. Reworked or SOMETHING)

Added momentum to Marths wavesmash is a good thing that isnt broken at all. Backwards super wave smashes are his fastest method of travel.

@Thor dilts range is just so bad for me. I would just ftilt or SH nair. Both options safer and provide better results.
@Kienamaru Minus jiggs is the ultimate glass cannon. Great air game. Great offstage control. IMO jiggs should lose 2-5 jumps in return for more combos into rest.

Baby_Sneak

i actually dont think the laser change is all that bad. slow lasers= slow build up of confirmation of a certain area, and fast lasers= quick control of space, but easier to regain said space for the opponent.

Lightning

Ikesexual
The latest release of Brawl Minus, 3.Q, has arrived! In this Quintessential version of our Quixotic game, we work only harder to take Brawl and Quintuple the Quirky! (while still maintaining the balance Quota). Everyone's been Quacking for it, and I hope you enjoy it without Quarrels (but feel free to ask Questions!). Coming up with Q words pretty Quarrelsome, I Quit. You can Quote this Quotable passage but prepare for a Quiz that'll be Quizzical!

Is that every Q word? Good. With that out of the way, here it is! Brawl Minus 3.Q!
I am blaming this entire paragraph for delaying the update. I wonder how long it took to come up with that..
And.. since I Quoted this Quotable passage, I'm expecting a Quite Quizzical Quiz.

NEWB

I use dtilt to get zoners away from jigs and offstage. This move has high growth. Very strong at high percents and chains with itself at low percents like Uair. It can be used to chain with fsmash instead of another fsmash since it comes out faster. Great at sending foes that are near the edge or recovering far offstage.

NEWB

On another note the vbrawl portraits download has two zelda and sheik portraits, one for zelda and sheik.

That's really dumb. They should have separate portraits. There isn't any point in giving them separate slots if they are getting the same portraits,