Brawl Minus 3.5 has arrived!

NEWB

I'm in agreement there. Hopefully they will be able to start rebuffing them as everyone grows stronger together.

How does Roy's side b grounded work? I can only get two hits.

Roy's voice clip has some issues. He dies rather quietly.

His recovery has charizard's tendency to not grab the ledge, but I think that is intentional.

Air side b is very hard to hit with. I can only get it to hit people that recover from the edge be jumping, not edge hopping.

During one match, his fiery sword glow defaulted to something much brighter, like in melee I think. It persisted in future matches until backed out and returned to the menu screen.

As is, this is a great starting point for his minus appearance. Can't wait for him to be refined, as his hitboxes feel weird to me, but that may just be me.

Wiimote makes Marth sound when picking Roy.

If Roy is between Marth and Ike, his recovery shouldn't be worse than Marth. Well, Marth and Ike have comparable recovery actually. So.... Meh?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Roy's SideB only has 3 hits total, as compared to Marth's 4.

NEWB

Yes, but how do you get a throw hit? I never played melee, and I can't figure it out *_*

The voice clip for selecting pichu isn't timed right. The announcer is supposed to say the character and near the end of his clip, you here the character do there yell or whatever. Pichu's is more instant and happens the instant you select him, before the announcer says pichu.

Pichu is surely better now, but I still need to figure out how to play him. I he we can get videos of pichu out there.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I'm going to assume you meant "third" hit and not throw hit. It's the same method as with marth's SideB.
1st hit/Start: SideB for a forward slash.
2nd hit: UpB, SideB, or DownB.
3rd hit(finisher): UpB for a horizontal attack that hits upward...somehow. SideB for a forward slash with surprising knockback. DownB for a chain of three or four(can't remember) low sword attacks that then knockback the opponent.
You must be quick.

Edit: In the event you actually meant "throw" hit...then I want to find out about this hidden move as well.

Baby_Sneak

even though falco didn't get any changes from what i saw on the change log, he seems to feel more fluid and better for some reason

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I can elaborate further later, but really ROB and Ivy didn't -need- any nerfs at all. People just don't really know how to play against them at a high level yet. If ROB were really as inherently broken as a character as people have made him out to be, high level players like Kien or Gold would be able to outperform my lesser characters solely on ROB's ability. Sadly, he's probably only going to see MORE nerfs because these changes aren't going to cost me any games so people are gunna be upset again.

Ivy I don't mind seeing nerfed, but 11 nerfs does start to seem overkill. I'm a team player though so when people want nerfs I mostly roll with it.

You and I both know that was mostly left up to the inherent lag that always ever seemed to affect us while playing, dude. You can't possibly think so little of my ability :(
With the new servers, I'm praying that we have some way better matches this time around.

SunderStorm

So I have some feedback regarding Roy. Overall, he's great and very cool. I love his fair and all of his smash attacks (dat uSmash). That being said though, there seem to be some weird or unclear things about him.
  • His aerial side-B doesn't hit grounded targets most of the time (can still hit if you get your body right on top of them). I can short hop and pass the sword right through them and it does nothing. Against aerial targets it's somewhat consistent. Is this intended? Either way it looks pretty weird when the sword passes through them and does nothing.
  • Grounded side-B I guess is supposed to be a shield pressure tool, but it doesn't really do anything if you actually hit them with it. The first two hits kind of just push high damage targets out of the way. The input timing on the third strike also feels a bit late, but that could be just me.
  • Uair takes some getting used to, and the payoff doesn't really seem to be worth the trouble. The hitbox is really small! Ike and Marth's uairs are probably straight up better. Link's, probably the most comparable one, seems to be somewhat easier to hit (with it's lack of sourspot) and has more kill potential to boot.
  • Short hop fair is hard to hit. Against medium sized characters, you have to space right in their face (like jab range) or else you'll end up going right over them. It just straight up wont hit small characters. Hence Roy benefits a lot from stages like battlefield where his fair can cover the platforms extremely well, but will have trouble on flatter stages like FD. Compare to Marth, who's fair will hit even off of a full jump. I think Roy's fair is fairly important to his neutral game, so it's probably important that it hits grounded targets.
  • I'm not really sure if this even should be considered, but Utilt seems somewhat useless after a while. Once enemies get to a certain percent, they just get knocked up kind of high to where Roy can't really follow up, so all he can really do is just awkwardly stand there and wait while they fall back down.
Some other parts of his kit seem pretty strong, especially his dair. It's like it doesn't even have a sourspot. Pretty much a guaranteed meteor smash everytime. uSmash is so satisfying.

I've no clue what this his overall powerlevel is going to be, but if you wanted to power him up you could add some growth to his up-B. It looks so powerful but then it's just kind of not. Lol. Nevermind. After a full day of playing, I can safely say that his up-B is pretty damn good.

As always, I reserve the right to be completely wrong about all of my evaluations.

Last edited by a moderator:

power950

I'm not damaging at all I've played minus max non stop with my friends the nerfs have to stop i have no more characters i enjoy using just make this balanced brawl i understand the developers put in hours of hard work and I was asking questions because only they know the method to there madness i don't know the answer I hate the new nerfs I can't find a character i enjoy using anymore i feel like this community has wasted potential they have the means they have the amazing staff they have the devotion its just not my flavor i'm not discouraging anyone I understand they're putting allot of free time and devotion in and i can respect that i just can't thank them for something i don't like sorry they have good ideas but i dont like the balancing thats not what brawl minus was made for in the first place I'm a mod user and i support the developers as much as i can and i was a huge fan of minus and loved it and i'm posting here to hopefully get back to the roots even tho it will fall on deaf ears this is criticism depending how you take it

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
hello?... online for hackless?.. is it working for anyone else??

Baby_Sneak

I'm not damaging at all I've played minus max non stop with my friends the nerfs have to stop i have no more characters i enjoy using just make this balanced brawl i understand the developers put in hours of hard work and I was asking questions because only they know the method to there madness i don't know the answer I hate the new nerfs I can't find a character i enjoy using anymore i feel like this community has wasted potential they have the means they have the amazing staff they have the devotion its just not my flavor i'm not discouraging anyone I understand they're putting allot of free time and devotion in and i can respect that i just can't thank them for something i don't like sorry they have good ideas but i dont like the balancing thats not what brawl minus was made for in the first place I'm a mod user and i support the developers as much as i can and i was a huge fan of minus and loved it and i'm posting here to hopefully get back to the roots even tho it will fall on deaf ears this is criticism depending how you take it
Bro chill, It's not that serious. However, I'm truly curious on why you think brawl minus was made in the first place when they clearly state it on their website: brawlminus.net

Lightning

Ikesexual
Nerfs are only made if a move is over powered. The goal of Minus is to achieve a broken game, yet balanced at the same time. If it was simply broken, there would be no balance and we would have characters like vBrawl Meta Knight everywhere.
I can understand your feelings to nerfs on characters that you main, but if your favorite character was basically too powerful compared to everyone else, nerfs are needed to level the playing field. In due time, depending on the demand and/or other character buffs, your character could receive a buff that is equal to or greater then what was lost.

Also, characters are nerfed based on feedback from everyone here on the forums, as well as back room suggestions. If you don't like any of the nerfs, post a topic in the Character section to see if other people agree with you. :D

Gold_TSG

You guys my characters can't kill you in a single easy combo from 0% anymore I hate minus now I'll just go and make my own mod all chars will be able to kill with one or two hits it will be the best thing ever

Joking aside, it's not like the characters were even changed that drastically. The only one that's really been changed to require relearning is Samus due to not being floaty anymore. Tweaks/nerfs/balancing is required to iron out any game so it's fun for everyone, not just for those who can use the few characters that simply outshine everyone else (coughBrawlMKcough). Again, once everyone is on an even field, more buffs can be handed out equally, instead of ALWAYS looking at the broken ones as a reference to matchups.

Other Aether

Mediator
I can elaborate further later, but really ROB and Ivy didn't -need- any nerfs at all. People just don't really know how to play against them at a high level yet. If ROB were really as inherently broken as a character as people have made him out to be, high level players like Kien or Gold would be able to outperform my lesser characters solely on ROB's ability. Sadly, he's probably only going to see MORE nerfs because these changes aren't going to cost me any games so people are gunna be upset again.

Ivy I don't mind seeing nerfed, but 11 nerfs does start to seem overkill. I'm a team player though so when people want nerfs I mostly roll with it.
Ivysaur got too many nerfs; I agree. ROB on the other hand... It's not your ROB that makes me feel he's broken. It's my experience playing as him and against him. I can shut people down with nearly the ease Dedede can, and there's really not much they can do about it. ROB just has that feel of having no real weaknesses, while excelling in nearly every aspect. When I fight against my brother, only my Dedede can hold him back. It just feels like ROB is overwhelming and overcommanding. We've both quit ROB, as we both dislike him.

Dedede is a strong case of what you're describing. A competent Dedede (I've never lost a match with him, and I don't intend to) can make a practically unbreakable wall of hurt. However, if you have the skill to get through that and the skill to keep him off his feet, then he's the worst character in the game. The fact that it's always possible to break through his wall, and if you do... it just makes it so that someone with a ton of experience fighting him can exploit his weaknesses to win.

NEWB

lol everyone is ignoring dood. Sorry bro, I'm not. Available right now. I'm also not sure online works for me.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
connecting to our own servers, of course.. i thought i was registered, but i'm finding out i can't connect with the homebrew gecko method, atm :p ...i'm gonna try to get a new friend code and re-register

how do i find out my new friend code without connecting to wifi?? Dx i think i've made a horrible mistake!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

connecting to our own servers, of course.. i thought i was registered, but i'm finding out i can't connect with the homebrew gecko method, atm :p ...i'm gonna try to get a new friend code and re-register

how do i find out my new friend code without connecting to wifi?? Dx i think i've made a horrible mistake!!

Shoulda done hackless D:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker

Have you tried erasing your Brawl save file, then connecting to WiFi?

daftatt

Speaking of top-tier characters, anyone else think that Olimar has a LOT of potential now? Those Pikmin are brutal.
Of all the characters in this mod, I think olimar is the only one who is flat out badly designed. The pikmin all throwing out knockback after a certain cling time is a poor choice (they should just do damage), especially when olimar can grab you to wait out the time.

Baby_Sneak

going to WFC while using brawl minus wll work