Brawl- M3: Mirror Match Masters

Lightning

Ikesexual
I have a suggestion, not sure if anyone would like it.

For Pokémon trainer, I think that each Pokémon should take a stock. Since it's 4 stock, each Pokémon can take a life, leaving 1 left for the player's choice. I believe that this will show that the player can play Pokémon trainer and not an individual Pokémon.
I think the same should go for Zelda and Sheik combo. 2 stocks with Zelda, 2 stocks with Sheik. It should prove that the player can use both in battle instead of simply picking one to use (and occasionally switching off).

I don't know. Thought I should give you a suggestion. :p

NEWB said:
Since you challenged lightening, can other people not challenge him?
Small flaw in your statement. I'm not a him.. I'm a her. :)
Also, I already told Bent that I offered my RU spots for Link and Ike. He just never answered..

WastedCrits

Can I snag the other c. falcon slot? Also, I'll challenge whoever's more available for the marth spot. While I'm at it, I'll take the Ike spot that Light is giving up.(If you change your mind, I'll of course play you for it instead.)
I should probably mention that I've never played an official-style match, so I don't get all this pick-counterpick stuff, if someone would be kind enough to explain. :D

Lightning

Ikesexual
WastedCrits said:
Also, I'll challenge whoever's more available for the marth spot. While I'm at it, I'll take the Ike spot that Light is giving up.(If you change your mind, I'll of course play you for it instead.)
I should probably mention that I've never played an official-style match, so I don't get all this pick-counterpick stuff, if someone would be kind enough to explain. :D

Well, for starters, you will have to play me for the Ike spot. I already asked NEWB if he wanted to challenge me for the spot, but still no reply.
Since you also wanted a Marth spot, you might as well challenge me while we're at it.. :p

Official matches run like this:

First, you and your opponent will select a neutral stage. (You can either talk it over or select yours and hope for the best.)
You win the first battle: Your opponent selects the counterpick stage.
You lost the first battle: You now get to select the counterpick stage.

Basically, loser gets to pick the next stage from the list of counterpicks. Also, keep in mind, you can not go to a stage that you have already won on.

WastedCrits

Lightning said:
Well, for starters, you will have to play me for the Ike spot. I already asked NEWB if he wanted to challenge me for the spot, but still no reply.
Since you also wanted a Marth spot, you might as well challenge me while we're at it.. :p
Ah, I misunderstood when you said you offered your spot. My mistake. :oops: Regardless, I'd be happy to play you for the spots, when are you free?

Lightning

Ikesexual
WastedCrits said:
Regardless, I'd be happy to play you for the spots, when are you free?
I'm currently available now. If you are not, then we can play tomorrow or Saturday. I'm usually on after 5.

WastedCrits

Lightning said:
I'm currently available now. If you are not, then we can play tomorrow or Saturday. I'm usually on after 5.
I just finished updating to the newest build, so I'm good to go right now, should we do Marth or Ike first?

Lightning

Ikesexual
WastedCrits said:
should we do Marth or Ike first?
We can do Marth first. Also, I suggest we do a connection test, make sure there is no lag.
We should use the Xat chat to pick stages.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
NEWB said:
What happens when multiple challenges go on? Since you challenged lightening, can other people not challenge him?
When multiple challenges are in the air, just go by players' schedules to decide when to fight who. If multiple challengers are available, courtesy suggests that you take them on in the order they challenged you.

Keep in mind that if you leave a challenge unanswered for a week, you lose that title by default. All you have to do to avoid defaulting is make a date you can both be online at the same time. If you both agree on a date, and show up, but your challenger does not, the challenger defaults and must make a new challenge. On the other hand, if a title holder does this, they do not immediately default, but are still subject to the one-week limit, which starts when a challenge is made.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Lightning said:
I have a suggestion, not sure if anyone would like it.

For Pokémon trainer, I think that each Pokémon should take a stock. Since it's 4 stock, each Pokémon can take a life, leaving 1 left for the player's choice. I believe that this will show that the player can play Pokémon trainer and not an individual Pokémon.
I think the same should go for Zelda and Sheik combo. 2 stocks with Zelda, 2 stocks with Sheik. It should prove that the player can use both in battle instead of simply picking one to use (and occasionally switching off).
That's a good idea. Let's make it official, but instead of basing it on stocks, let's base it on time instead. That way you can still switch if you need to. You can still use stocks as a benchmark, of course.

Official rule:
- When playing a Title Match for Pokemon Trainer or Zelda & Sheik, you must try to divide your time played as each character equally: 33% of the match as each Pokemon, or 50% of the match as Zelda/Sheik. This is not a very strict limit; as long as you make an effort to divide your time between the characters equally, no problem! However, if you spend less than half the suggested limit (16.6% as each Pokemon, 25% as Zelda/Sheik), you lose that match by default. (I'll add this to the first post later.)

Lightning said:
I already told Bent that I offered my RU spots for Link and Ike. He just never answered..
You told me you were "holding off" on the Link & Ike Champion matches so you could fight NEWB for your RU spots as those two.

I'll be available for matches Friday - Sunday.

NEWB

Technically, lightening offered to have me challenge her, but since I didn't respond and officially challenge her, then I have to wait after crits fights her for the Ike spot.

WastedCrits

Here's the update, in my matches with Lightning, I got the Ike spot, but failed to overcome her marthiness. Also, In light of new evidence, I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring for Dorf, when you guys are done with your championship match.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Bent 00 said:
You told me you were "holding off" on the Link & Ike Champion matches so you could fight NEWB for your RU spots as those two.
Yes, holding off the Champion matches for both so NEWB can get a chance to face me. But, I already lost the Ike RU to WastedCrits.

NEWB, I will be available later tonight, like around 8-9, or tomorrow for the Link RU. If you want the Ike RU, you'll have to challenge WastedCrits. :)

NEWB

I get home at almost 6, which is 9 for you. Does that work?

I also think that there should be a limit on the amount of challenges someone can issue at a time. These challenges should also be handled by pm since this thread is starting to get really cluttered.

So I'll fight light tonight or tomorrow and I fight bent tomorrow for several titles looks like.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
WastedCrits said:
I might as well challenge Bent for the Falcon championship, too. At least as a learning experience. :lol:
Show me ya moves! Tomorrow! :)

And yeah, this thread would stay cleaner if we limit challenges to PMs. Then again, it's kinda fun knowing who's challenging who...

NEWB

Also, I disagree with using time as a restriction for the poke trainer matches and zelda/sheik. We are setting ourselves up to get really technical with that sort of time limit and we don't want disputes over who won. Playing that way is also completely wrong.

Also, the play styles IMO support the ability to change characters on whim to counter the playstyle or character of the foe but not really the ability to have to incorporate each character into every match. Zelda/sheik players don't learn them both so they have to use them equally each match. They use them according to which playstyle and character work better in a given match up against the opponent. Forcing them to use them both and actually use both of them equally in a match is fundamentally wrong for the playstyle and doesn't make any sense.

In the special case of poke trainer, you can easily and accidentally get yourself locked in changing mon trying to accommodate time for each mon. If you are ivy, and you've spent too much time as ivy and Zard, then you have to switch twice and leave yourself vulnerable. If you are going to argue that the player shouldn't halve let that happen, look at my last paragraph. You can't punish someone if they are trying to counter the opponent. This is also fundamentally wrong.

WastedCrits

The best solution I can think of would be a post that everyone could edit, where you post a challenge and a date, and the other person would confirm it, that way we would know when anyone loses by default. I have no idea if this would be possible, of course.
Bent 00 said:
Then again, it's kinda fun knowing who's challenging who...
My thoughts exactly.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
NEWB said:
Also, I disagree with using time as a restriction for the poke trainer matches and zelda/sheik.
Hmm, how about we change it to this instead:

- In Title Matches for Pokemon Trainer and Zelda & Sheik, you must appear as each sub-character at least once (however briefly).

That's as lenient as it's gonna get. If you never switch at all, then you're not really playing the whole character like you're supposed to.

We'll go with whichever rule is more popular. Feel free to suggest variant rules on this subject.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
WastedCrits said:
The best solution I can think of would be a post that everyone could edit, where you post a challenge and a date, and the other person would confirm it, that way we would know when anyone loses by default. I have no idea if this would be possible, of course.
We'd have to use an external website that supports posts editable by multiple people. Pretty sure this forum doesn't support that...

Anyone know of such a website? Ideally, only certain approved people could change the listing.

WastedCrits

Bent 00 said:
We'd have to use an external website that supports posts editable by multiple people. Pretty sure this forum doesn't support that...

Anyone know of such a website? Ideally, only certain approved people could change the listing.
First thing that comes to mind is a page on a wiki site. Perhaps the smash wiki?

NEWB

Again bent, that is a gray area. Not because what you said is hard to but, each character is there own character. Playing only zelda in a zelda/sheik match doesn't mean you played wrong.

I'm just saying that in the case of zelda sheik, and poke trainer. You can't find out who is the best with mirror matches. With that in mind, I'd go with zelda sheik matches divided by two stock each, and poke trainer with one stock each mon, or two each for a six stock match.

After all, it IS a mirror match. Shouldn't each character face themself, even in the case of theses guys. Like in zelda/sheik, first two stocks are zelda and last two are sheik?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Hmm... Let's just not add extra rules to the sub-character issue. Keep it simple.

If you're playing Pokemon Trainer or Zelda & Sheik (or you got them via Random), feel free to switch as you see fit.

If you're playing as a sub-character only, do not switch. If you do by accident, immediately switch back. Your opponent must let you do so.

Consider this the official rule for now. It'll only be changed to something different if enough people complain.