Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Neutral: Battlefield, Final Destination, Spear Pillar, Pokemon Stadium 2, Yoshi's Island, Smashville
Just wanna point out that FD is probably the least deserving of being a starter stage : I

Thor

Just wanna point out that FD is probably the least deserving of being a starter stage : I

To be honest I think Minus and Smash 4 are the two games where that is least true.

Melee, Brawl, and I would guess 64 [if it had one], that's probably true. [And I believe it's not a starter in most, if any, PM rulesets anymore].

Thor

What's wrong with fd?

Watch game 2 of this set, about 8 or so minutes in:

M2K is literally a few moves away from not dropping the zero-to-death several times. I looked for footage of him zero-deathing a top player, and while I couldn't find one of him doing it off a single grab (I find a few where he doesn't take percent, but uses two grabs or like grabs, does 80%, then reads a tech roll), it's pretty disgusting what he does.

The stage lacking platforms makes some MUs very, very unfair. Link vs Falco in Melee is disgustingly difficult for a Link fighting a laser-heavy Falco because there's nowhere but the ledge and up to avoid those lasers (as a Melee Link main, it's very very gross to play). Whereas most fighters have no platforms, not having platforms actually makes the stage polarize some MUs a lot. [Though to be fair, it's thought that if you aren't basically M2K's level of Marth punishes from grabs, FD is actually really good for Falco vs Marth - if you want to see a reason for that, look up PPMD vs M2K, Zenith 2012, grand finals set 2, and go to the last game (the last 5 minutes of the video or so) and watch that as well.]

Valravn

Normally I'd agree. In Project M or Brawl or Melee, FD can lead to very one-sided matches depending on the character matchup. In Minus, I don't think there's a character that is outright bad on FD. Everyone has pretty decent recovery, nobody has an awful ground game that requires platforms to be effective. I definitely feel that Meta Knight and Peach don't shine as much for me on the stage, but it's hardly a major skew.

Thor

Normally I'd agree. In Project M or Brawl or Melee, FD can lead to very one-sided matches depending on the character matchup. In Minus, I don't think there's a character that is outright bad on FD. Everyone has pretty decent recovery, nobody has an awful ground game that requires platforms to be effective. I definitely feel that Meta Knight and Peach don't shine as much for me on the stage, but it's hardly a major skew.

I think MK vs Peach makes MK shine a lot on this stage actually...

Also Fox can waveshine people here even easier, but we don't have anyone who does that tech (Longbottom will do shine wavedash usmash, but maybe he doesn't waveshine because lag...).

Like I said above though, I think in Minus, the removal of CGs and numerous counter-camping tools make it more doable (the removal of TL's infinite arrows is a huge plus to everyone not him). And since Smash 4 was apparently balanced on that stage, most people don't seem to take issue with it there.

But otherwise, yeah.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Also Fox can waveshine people here even easier, but we don't have anyone who does that tech (Longbottom will do shine wavedash usmash, but maybe he doesn't waveshine because lag...).
It is impossible to do infinite waveshine combos. It is possible to do waveshine to dair on certain characters but you are one hundred percent correct when you say I don't do it because of lag.

Thor

It is impossible to do infinite waveshine combos. It is possible to do waveshine to dair on certain characters but you are one hundred percent correct when you say I don't do it because of lag.

I assume you mean they removed the infinite, either against walls or that Fox can't get behind someone to go back and forth? Or is it physically impossible to waveshine even Ganondorf or Bowser across FD without doing dairs in between?

My thinking is that from any point you can waveshine Ganondorf offstage then land one more shine and he's 100% dead.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I assume you mean they removed the infinite, either against walls or that Fox can't get behind someone to go back and forth? Or is it physically impossible to waveshine even Ganondorf or Bowser across FD without doing dairs in between?

My thinking is that from any point you can waveshine Ganondorf offstage then land one more shine and he's 100% dead.
The minus team removed infinite waveshines across the stage around 2.x. maybe Ganon or Bowser you can but waveshine to dair is a much better option on these characters anyway.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Off topic but where to you go to play online?
If you mean against people on the forums, post that you want to play on the matchmaking thread, or you can just go to the top of the page, click the chat button, and see if anyone on the IRC. If you mean to connect to wifi, there's a tutorial on how to do that somewhere around here.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
4.0 will probably release before March. There's only a handful of things left to do at this point, but given the challenging nature of designing, implementing, and testing some of those things we can't quite give a solid release date yet. Progress is being made though.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
4.0 will probably release before March. There's only a handful of things left to do at this point, but given the challenging nature of designing, implementing, and testing some of those things we can't quite give a solid release date yet. Progress is being made though.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

NEWB

Mawootad? I'm not sure we've heard of you before. Shouldn't you get a minus back room banner like pin?