Wanting to become a better brawl minus player

moneer

How do I become a better brawl player. Currently, I'm an okay player. Usually play with bowser. when I play my brother who always chooses link, I get my a** wooped. I usually spam b, and if I get giga bowser, he goes to the nearest ledge and goes down and up becoming invisible. Any tips on how to become better and beat this link all the time.

NEWB

Reading. If you know how your opponent reacts to stuff, you can punish them. Bowser versus link isn't a good matchup unfortunately. To play bowser well, you have to abuse the armor he has on his fsmash, dair, crouch, nuetral B, and dash attack. Read what he does, tank his hits and punish him.

As Gbowser, maybe run offstage and bair him if he dips down? I don't play with final smashes.

moneer

Reading. If you know how your opponent reacts to stuff, you can punish them. Bowser versus link isn't a good matchup unfortunately. To play bowser well, you have to abuse the armor he has on his fsmash, dair, crouch, nuetral B, and dash attack. Read what he does, tank his hits and punish him.

As Gbowser, maybe run offstage and bair him if he dips down? I don't play with final smashes.
Where can I read up on him? And yeah, lol, we play with items. But gbowser can't get back on stage after going out. He's very very heavy.

NEWB

You just read him, there is nothing to it. If you think he's going to roll left, attack left. If he's gonna do a weak attack, crouch to take light hits and dtilt him. Playing with items will interfere with your ability to read him though. Items leave room for more options.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Since newb didn't understand the question:
To read someone is to study them in order to predict how they will act as the match progresses. To get better, you must know your opponent, and know the options he has available in any situation. The key to beating someone is to shut down as many options for them as you can, putting them in a spot where you can punish them.

moneer

You just read him, there is nothing to it. If you think he's going to roll left, attack left. If he's gonna do a weak attack, crouch to take light hits and dtilt him. Playing with items will interfere with your ability to read him though. Items leave room for more options.

Since newb didn't understand the question:
To read someone is to study them in order to predict how they will act as the match progresses. To get better, you must know your opponent, and know the options he has available in any situation. The key to beating someone is to shut down as many options for them as you can, putting them in a spot where you can punish them.
Actually, I wasn't the one to understand. I thought there were strategy guides for each character and how to use them. Silly me. Anyways, link usually goes to the edge of the stage and spams his arrows. When he launches in the air, he throws his bombs up at me. If I down b, he uairs me. I don't think there's much that I can do in these situations. Should I upload a video to show you guys how things normally go down?

Gold_TSG

Use dair to get down from the air. IIRC, bowser has armor on that attack. The matchup is bad for bowser regardless though. Dealing with all of link's projectiles isn't easy. You just gotta watch what your opponent is doing and try not to fall for any baits.

NEWB

Bowser also has armor while dashing. He can actually dash through uncharged arrows and maybe not the first hit of his boomerang but all the others. His armor has been tweaked many times, so you'll just have to test his armor in battle to see what else you can tank through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I usually Royal Rampage through everything. Royal Rampage is the answer to everything. He's gonna get up close? Royal Rampage! He's gonna camp? Royal Rampage! The answer to question 4 on my science homework? Royal Rampage!

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Additionally, some general advice against projectile spammers is to choose a stage that lets you get around what they throw out (Final Destination is horrible in this matchup). In general, you'll probably want a medium-sized stage so Link can't run away too easy, with platforms that let you easily get above and around his arrows, forcing him to change up his tactics.

Some potential stage picks might be;
- Dream Greens (is a little on the larger side, but has big death boundaries so you can take advantage of Bowser's high weight so you'll live really long)
- Skyworld (you can easily avoid spammy arrows and boomerangs by jumping between platforms)
- Luigi's Mansion (this one is REALLY great, the pillars will eat up his projectiles so he can't just sit in the corner and spam)
- Delfino (the various layouts will force him to move)
- Brinstar (learn the acid's rising patterns, it will force him to meet you at the top platforms or get burnt).

Once you learn stages' advantages/disadvantages to your character, you can use them to defeat your opponents easier. :D

moneer

Use dair to get down from the air. IIRC, bowser has armor on that attack. The matchup is bad for bowser regardless though. Dealing with all of link's projectiles isn't easy. You just gotta watch what your opponent is doing and try not to fall for any baits.
I'll try and see how that works out. Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that.
Bowser also has armor while dashing. He can actually dash through uncharged arrows and maybe not the first hit of his boomerang but all the others. His armor has been tweaked many times, so you'll just have to test his armor in battle to see what else you can tank through.
Who is great against link? I know how to play with every character, my mains are ganon and bowser lol. But sometimes I'll choose Mario.
I usually Royal Rampage through everything. Royal Rampage is the answer to everything. He's gonna get up close? Royal Rampage! He's gonna camp? Royal Rampage! The answer to question 4 on my science homework? Royal Rampage!
He knows when the rampage ends, and times his attacks accordingly :(
Additionally, some general advice against projectile spammers is to choose a stage that lets you get around what they throw out (Final Destination is horrible in this matchup). In general, you'll probably want a medium-sized stage so Link can't run away too easy, with platforms that let you easily get above and around his arrows, forcing him to change up his tactics.

Some potential stage picks might be;
- Dream Greens (is a little on the larger side, but has big death boundaries so you can take advantage of Bowser's high weight so you'll live really long)
- Skyworld (you can easily avoid spammy arrows and boomerangs by jumping between platforms)
- Luigi's Mansion (this one is REALLY great, the pillars will eat up his projectiles so he can't just sit in the corner and spam)
- Delfino (the various layouts will force him to move)
- Brinstar (learn the acid's rising patterns, it will force him to meet you at the top platforms or get burnt).

Once you learn stages' advantages/disadvantages to your character, you can use them to defeat your opponents easier. :D
Thing is. The only stages we play on are fd and corneria.He's picky about the stages, as he's played since n64. Those two stages are familiar. I'll see if I can convince him to play on any of those stages you recommended though, I thank you for that list.

Gold_TSG

I say make him go to other stages, since it doesn't sound fun going to just those. As for those with advantages, you need someone that's fast and can stay in link's face to keep him from getting comfortable. Falcon and sheik are pretty good at that, and if you really wanna go the distance, fox can destroy him, especially with the ability to reflect. Another good one would be Rob, who has a lot of mobility options with side b, laser sniping and gyro strength.

NEWB

You know, if you do play mario. He would also be a better option because cape. If I recall, fireballs will cancel his boomerang. You want to use them to approach though, as links fully charged arrows and bombs aren't broken by them.

Gold did propose better characters to face link though. Mario doesn't have the speed to chase link down, so you would have to play smarter as mario.

Gold_TSG

Nice to see people spamming a topic that was meant to be taken seriously.